Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:00 AM

How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? (22275 Views)

Strange! Festival Celebrated By Digging Up Dead Family Members (graphic Photos) / What Is Christmas In Your Native Language? / Black History Month Celebrated In Style @ My Place Of Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2007
In the Christian world, the story of Christmas is, indeed, universal. However, different people in different lands celebrate things differently.

How is Christmas celebrated in Nigeria? Traditions? Customs? If you wish to post pictures, please do so.

Thank you--and a very Merry Christmas! (BTW, how does one wish a "Merry Christmas!" in Igbo? Hausa? Yoruba? Other languages of Nigeria?)
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by ikamefa(f): 2:37am On Dec 12, 2007
in yoruba its: e kuu odun, ekuu iyedun, odun a yabo fun wa oh

Or

e kuu keresimesi grin grin grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 9:05pm On Dec 12, 2007
Ah, the ever-delightful ikamefa!  So very good to encounter you during the holiday season--or any time!   And, as usual, you provide me with that which I seek.  Bless you, my dear!  (Aussi, mon amie, je voudrai vous dire <<Joyeux Noel!>>wink   grin

Surely, there are traditions, customs, songs, foods and other such things which are associated with Christmas in Nigeria.  Please, share some of these with those of us who, like myself, have yet to experience Christmas in Nigeria. 

My word--four different ways to say it in Yoruba! Such an expressive language!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Iyanlax: 9:34pm On Dec 12, 2007
ikamefa:

or e kuu keresimesi grin grin grin
Too funny. cheesy
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by kojeiwa(m): 9:37pm On Dec 12, 2007
The benin people wilL say E SE LO GBE
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by BlackMamba(m): 10:27pm On Dec 12, 2007
Just like Thanksgiving in terms of family reunion, but with extra funfare.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by anusule(m): 11:25pm On Dec 12, 2007
jollof rice and fried chicken is prepared as early as 5am and stored in a cooler(warmer) till the afternoon for consumption. many would stay at home watching a gospel video that's if there's power supply or if they have a power generator. grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 2:06am On Dec 13, 2007
christmas Eve, stew is made. start from the mid of month, family go shop for clothes, or stop by the tailor/fashion designer to collect your latest style.
morning of 24, you go to sasa (a good market for stew stuffs) to shop for tomatoes, atarodo, tatashe, tin tomatoes, oil and onions smiley
father goes off to bodija for the live goat/agric fowl, tolontolon or cow.
mother goes off to bodija for the Uncle ben rice and asorted stuffs  cheesy
24 evening, while dad busy killing the fowl/goat, mother starts clean the tomatoes, tatashe and onion/rodo
once done cleaning, oya off to engine for blending then she boils it till thicken. meanwhile, mother collects all the ngwogwo for peppersoup  grin

the kids busy surrounding dad looking for little meat to roast.
if it is fowl, the kids are given the job of removing the feather smiley
some kids get themselves busy with knockout, bisco etc  cheesy

lots of christmas music grin, etc.

after cleaning of the fowl/goat/cow meat, cooking is next, olalala the aroma is more than words can say  grin

once the meat is well cooked, ororo (vegetable oil) is place on fire for frying of the cooked meat.
next is making the real stew, nothing like christmas rice in nigeria always delicious.

christmas eve service at about 8pm or so. it continues till midnight depending on when the service started.
once sevice is ended everyone go in peace the service is ended but some start the fun beating drum and stopping over any known members home. ha, fun plenty o.
some people go home right after service.
early morning on 25th, mother start cooking rice, warming the large pot of stew. bean is also cooked some guys love their rice with beans.
kids start cleaning the whole place, re arrange everywhere in the house.
at 7am, get ready for church if possible. if not, stay in the kitchen with mother and watch her cook + run errands.
once everything is ready, most share food with other nearby neighbors. come see wacking and tasting.

then off to shower and dressing up with willy willy makeup smiley kids always funny smiley
later during the day, ojuju start coming out and you watch different fanfare from different tribes grin grin

my little childhood memory  cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Dreloaded(f): 2:09am On Dec 13, 2007
what happened to Banga!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 2:09am On Dec 13, 2007
thanks that's also part of it. grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by deejay1(m): 2:43am On Dec 13, 2007
oooo man xmas in nigeria is reli fun, !!!!!!!!!!!! even b4 xmas day fireworks (knockout/banger) go dey fly over ur head ( gd fun) n every1 go don buy their xmas attire (gone r d days) 2 be ready 4 xmas day N on xmas day evey1 go av a gd wash n get into their attires!!!!!!!! xmas day u go chop (jollof rice) yh till ur stomach full. n in da evening we go visit Xtended families, amusement park lota stuffs 2 do after xmas nah d fun jst start!!!!! we go blow knockout till new yr day!!!!!!! n on newy yrs eve ooo dare na wen da show starts n prob finish sometymes ooo gush we go blow knockout lk crazy in bashoru (winners!) dem police 4 winners dey crazy ooooooo n from bashorun we go Gate (Agodi) man lv d knockout fun alot we go go into Methodist Agodi n av a crazy knockout competition with dem garage boiz great fun! after den every farmer returns home from his farm! we jst drive home n play snooker till lk 6am wen everybody is reli tired n on da 1st all da family( even pple u avnt c b4 or uv seen 4 ages) gather @ da family house n party! gone r da days neway. bt here LND its sht on xmas day their roads r dry n it basically shit (its their culture am nt criticizin den oooooo )
Up nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Nwaka77: 3:29am On Dec 13, 2007
omoge:

christmas Eve, stew is made. start from the mid of month, family go shop for clothes, or stop by the tailor/fashion designer to collect your latest style.
morning of 24, you go to sasa (a good market for stew stuffs) to shop for tomatoes, atarodo, tatashe, tin tomatoes, oil and onions smiley
father goes off to bodija for the live goat/agric fowl, tolontolon or cow.
mother goes off to bodija for the Uncle ben rice and asorted stuffs cheesy
24 evening, while dad busy killing the fowl/goat, mother starts clean the tomatoes, tatashe and onion/rodo
once done cleaning, oya off to engine for blending then she boils it till thicken. meanwhile, mother collects all the ngwogwo for peppersoup grin

the kids busy surrounding dad looking for little meat to roast.
if it is fowl, the kids are given the job of removing the feather smiley
some kids get themselves busy with knockout, bisco etc cheesy

lots of christmas music grin, etc.

after cleaning of the fowl/goat/cow meat, cooking is next, olalala the aroma is more than words can say grin

once the meat is well cooked, ororo (vegetable oil) is place on fire for frying of the cooked meat.
next is making the real stew, nothing like christmas rice in nigeria always delicious.

christmas eve service at about 8pm or so. it continues till midnight depending on when the service started.
once sevice is ended everyone go in peace the service is ended but some start the fun beating drum and stopping over any known members home. ha, fun plenty o.
some people go home right after service.
early morning on 25th, mother start cooking rice, warming the large pot of stew. bean is also cooked some guys love their rice with beans.
kids start cleaning the whole place, re arrange everywhere in the house.
at 7am, get ready for church if possible. if not, stay in the kitchen with mother and watch her cook + run errands.
once everything is ready, most share food with other nearby neighbors. come see wacking and tasting.

then off to shower and dressing up with willy willy makeup smiley kids always funny smiley
later during the day, ojuju start coming out and you watch different fanfare from different tribes grin grin

my little childhood memory cheesy

Thank you for this post. You made me relive my fond childhood memories from back then. cheesy
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Jezzy(f): 3:45am On Dec 13, 2007
All these Christmas stories are makig me homesick.

Christmas like I remember started like around the ending ending of October when all the radio stations would be playing Christmas music,the closer it got to Christmas the more frequently they are played.I grew up in the East so Christmas is always associated in my mind with harmattan season.It would be cold,dry and dusty.In the apartment complex where we lived while growing up,almost every family went to their village to celebrate so the 'watchman' used to be compensated well before hand so he'd keep an eye out on our property.People started leaving as soon as school closed for the holidays and the last to go often left around the 23rd or 24th.I remember that at that time our neighbor and my mum would buy a big basket of tomatoes to share.On the way back to our village-which was like an hour away-we saw other cars loaded with belongings and happy children and sometimes an slightly open trunk so the chicken and torotoro could breathe.Lol.

Anyway,by the time we got to the village other cousins would be there or be on the way and it was always a happy reunion for all the cousins and proud grandparents.All the cousins came together and compared clothes,money and stashes of knockout/banger.As soon as we were done greeting everybody, we hit the stream,maybe with little cans to convince the adults we weren't gong to just play.We always swam till we turned blue in the face and red in the eyes.

Christmas eve,the cooking started.Meat was tenderized and cooked in preparation for frying on Christmas morning.On Christmas eve night,we went to church for the service armed with knockouts/bangers.And even while we were in church we could hear others blasting away the knockouts/bangers,we would become restless.As soon as service was over,we went outside blasting our knockouts/bangers away to the chagrin of the adults.When we eventually stopped running wild and were coralled by the adults,we went home and continued with the knockouts/bangers under adult supervision.If we ran out,doting uncles and aunts and grandparents replenished our stash.

On Christams day gon gon,the sweet aroma of stew and meat awakened us.The adults would get the older children to help get the younger ones ready for Christmas day service.Before we left for church,we had something light like bread and tea saving our appetites for the feast to come.We went to church dressed in our brand new Christmas clothes,shoes and freshly braided hair for the girls or smart crew-cut for the guys and no matter how great service was we itched to go home.Whenever service ended,we were made to greet more relatives bfore we went home.As soon as we got home,we dined on rice and stew,jollof rice,fried rice,chicken,beef,salad,chin-chin,and lots of fanta(who ever thought of calories or sugar then?).The food would not even digest before we began running wild again with other kids.Visitors,relatives were entertained.Carollers came,little dancing girls came,little boys in masquerades came;they were all shown appreciation with money.

Chritsmas Naija style is the bomb.If you haven't experienced it,you should because it does good things to the soul.Sweet memories.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by MP007(m): 4:35am On Dec 13, 2007
food, church service and watching the "Jesus" movie, cry
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by eagleroland(m): 7:22am On Dec 13, 2007
Drrionelli, enchante', parley-vous francais?
Je parle et ecris francais bien.

Christmas is real fun in Nigeria but it is enjoyed better as a kid. For adults who are Christains, the season makes more meaning. But it is basically a season for reunion, reconciliation and merry-making.

Are you eyeing a Nigerian?
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 10:45am On Dec 13, 2007
to add to that sending of cards. you get so many cards that you can plaster your wall with them . my mum used to tie rope all over the sitting room like washing line and hang all the cards , and other things. we used(thats my dad) will drive off and come back with a big Christmas tree. even or dog used to get a part of the Christmas dish(the bones)
after the church and lunch we will go to the town to see masquerade.the girls with dad and mum in the car. but my brother will go on his own with his friends to get chased by the masquerade.
We never travelled at that time of the year then too many accidents were happening.
The next day it was all about visiting and getting visited.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by coolisaac(m): 10:59am On Dec 13, 2007
IN HAUSA LANGUAGE, WE USE BARKA DA SALA. THATS ALL.

WHICH MEANS HAPPY CELEBRATION.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by coolisaac(m): 11:00am On Dec 13, 2007
IN HAUSA LANGUAGE, WE USE BARKA DA SALA. THATS ALL.

WHICH MEANS HAPPY CELEBRATION.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by idupaul: 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2007
Most People spend it beliving that thing will be a lot better next year, better jobs ,good health care, low crime rate.less corrupt leaders and much more, but ofcourse they still spend the next christmas wishin for the same again,
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 12:35pm On Dec 13, 2007
I don't think Nigerians are that naive. The only person they expect 'blessings' from is God.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by babadee(m): 12:48pm On Dec 13, 2007
xmas is celeberated by "awon boys" by crashing your crew;s pads one by one, eating and if possible carting away enuf goodies and you end the day at mama chika's place for some cold green bottle, lol
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by ayomifull(f): 1:02pm On Dec 13, 2007
@omoge thanks a lot you are a darling i cant wait to get home this xmas, xmas is definitely merry merry at home unlike here.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by oziomatv(m): 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2007
nna isi afutaro
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by TerrySoft(m): 2:03pm On Dec 13, 2007
When i was small, xmas was the only time we expected to eat Rich & Stew with Chicken grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2007
ayomifull:

@omoge thanks a lot you are a darling i can't wait to get home this xmas, xmas is definitely merry merry at home unlike here.

you are welcome wink. it's childhood memories cry

i can imagine bodija, sasa, dugbe etc now. is christmas still the same?? anyone spent christmas in Lagos/ibadan pls ans o.
those hausa malam at bodija and sasa sure do great business during christmas. i love their groundnut oil smiley

walahai, akwai kasuwa fa cheesy
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 7:49pm On Dec 13, 2007
This is simply wonderful!  Thank you all so very much for sharing your memories and helping a non-Nigerian better know your country and people!

It all sounds so interesting!  And fun!  Christmas in Nigeria seems to be something I'd truly enjoy experiencing, myself. 

If I may ask, however, would somebody please explain the "boys in masquerade" and the "dancing girls" to me?  Are they local performers who go neighborhood to neighborhood? 

BTW (@oziomatvsmiley
What does "nna isi afutaro" mean?  In what language?

@babadee:
"awon boys"--I'm sure there's more to tell about them!   grin

@eagleroland:
Oui, monsieur, je parle (et j'ecris, aussi) francais!  Mais, ou j'habite, il n'y a pas beaucoup de personnes avec qui je peux parler.  sad 
You ask if I'm eyeing a Nigerian.  Well, I suppose if I could find the right one!   I just find it interesting to know how those in other lands experience things, such as holidays. 

@D-reloaded:
What is "banga"?

@omoge:
I'm afraid I must ask for a translation of "walahai akwai kasuwa fa"!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Tini(m): 8:25pm On Dec 13, 2007
The best and most popular celebration in naija.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omega25red(m): 9:22pm On Dec 13, 2007
Omoge your post brought tears to my eyes because no matter where else you go or live in this world there is no christmas like the one i used to celebrate when i was a child in Nigeria. Damn being in another man's country is suddenly so hard to take.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Boondoggle(m): 10:20pm On Dec 13, 2007
Omoge,

I am really impressed with your write up. It took me back memory lane. The little addition to the scenario is that no one, and I repeat no one is allowed to cook the jollof rice except mummcy otherwise no one will eat. Mother's hand in cooking xmas & new year rice is unique. And guess what? mum used to tease us with that and we would beg all the way from January till December. grin grin grin
Now that we are all even out of the house, we still long for mum's hand when we go home for re-union at xmas.

@ Ikamefa,

My curiosity has finally got the best of me . ,  . what is the meaning of "Ikamefa"? Are you "olugbodi" with six fingers or is it "six wicked ones" as in " Ika Mefa". Anyways, enjoy the xmas rice with as many finger as Gos has blessed you with. grin grin grin

Did someone mentioned "banga" soup or was that supposed to be BANGER?  grin

Shalom cool
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by jerrymania(m): 12:39am On Dec 14, 2007
Booze,booze,booze till day light
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:34am On Dec 14, 2007
[b]omoge that was classical.

The only addition for us with your post would be goat peppersoup complete with towel and the crunchy ears  (ngwo ngwo)
My mom would make,jellof,white rice and stew,plantain
she would even bake a cake
Chin chin would have been fried a few days prior
We get to drink bottles and bottles of fanta and coke without asking and you will not be spanked for it.
Everyone is in celebration mode,mom doesn't bother counting the bottles grin

Christmas in my family like most Igbos is in the village.
Cousins from the north,East and west return and the Lagos ones will be showing off their fancier clothes and dancing moves to us,local Aba and Enugu kids.
some of them lived in face me I face you at Ajegunle but we had no clue.

After eating we walk around the village or ride with parents visiting family and eating some more.

In most houses when you arrive
After the hellos and admiring how tall or womanly you had become

1.They'll come around while you are seated and ask for what you'll drink.

2.then some small saucers arrive with fried meat,chin chin and peanuts

3.Before you could say "Okija",a plate of peppersoup is in your laps

4.Then the grandfinale is the rice usually the reddest and tastiest jollof you've ever eaten with 2 pieces or more of fried meat on top.[/b]

Kai menene

some aunties will even wrap some take home stuff for us kids.
I still remember it all with nostalgia

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by ikamefa(f): 1:42am On Dec 14, 2007
@ topic drrionelli Joyeux noël mon ami tongue i hope you got the answers to your questions grin

Boondoggle:

Omoge,

I am really impressed with your write up. It took me back memory lane. The little addition to the scenario is that no one, and I repeat no one is allowed to cook the jollof rice except mummcy otherwise no one will eat. Mother's hand in cooking xmas & new year rice is unique. And guess what? mum used to tease us with that and we would beg all the way from January till December. grin grin grin
Now that we are all even out of the house, we still long for mum's hand when we go home for re-union at xmas.

@ Ikamefa,

My curiosity has finally got the best of me . , . what is the meaning of "Ikamefa"? Are you "olugbodi" with six fingers or is it "six wicked ones" as in " Ika Mefa". Anyways, enjoy the xmas rice with as many finger as Gos has blessed you with. grin grin grin

Did someone mentioned "banga" soup or was that supposed to be BANGER? grin

Shalom cool

olugbodi yes! banga soup is quite different from banger (fire-works)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Kongo Kingdom...A underrated Kingdom / Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished / Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.