Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa (53971 Views)

Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official / Onitsha The Largest Business City In Afica! How True Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dranatomy: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
aryzgreat: Bia nwa nna spyder, okwa igosichaa ndi ofe ihe onyonyo onicha joro njo, echi ha were ya kowa ndigbo onu, unu afu ihe unu mere onwe unu, biko gbara ogwu gi nwuo! Enugu igosiri anyi di anyi obi mma! anyi ma na onicha bu obodo ezi mana ihe na eme na onicha. Biko akpatakwana nku aruru ga eme ka ngwere biara anyi oriri. Igbo ekeneem unu! cheesy
Talk in English so dat i can hear you
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Torch1(m): 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2012
@Op.... Why didn't u show only the bad side of Enugu on that ur thread abt Enugu being the pride ot the East?
Nairaland is Nigeria largest forum and so nwanne you cant just show the bad side of Onitsha.
Udo dili gi.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MrGlobe(m): 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2012
afam4eva: Now this thread gets to the front page and it carries the title "Is Onitsha the commercial capital of west africa??" Common, is that the purpose of this thread?? Why are the MODS just insensitive at times. People will run here now and start giving reason why JIgawa is the commercial capital thereby defeating the purpose why this thread was opened.
Lmaooooooo.. The same way I saw in one thread that graveyards ogbomosho and ota are the most industrialized non capital cities in Nigeria. Lmaooo. Yoruba people will never cease to hide their Stup!d!ty.
To the topic post the pictures. its only Peter obi agents here who fear about the truth will say otherwise. I wish all anambra people will drop sentiments aside and vote a technocrat like soludo under pdp (very important) to fix this mess. Clown Peter obi is too petty to improve our cities
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 5:38pm On Jul 27, 2012
u have to balance itoooooooooo
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by asha80(m): 5:39pm On Jul 27, 2012
mr globe i thought you were an andy uba fan?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by billante(m): 5:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
Before spyder start posting pics let it all be known dat every state or city has its strong points and weak points! First of all anambra is not dragging beauty with any state! None of its cities were planned unlike enugu owerri and other older state capitals! It is all individual development! In d sense dat d industrious citizens did almost all d whole development by them selves! A good Eg of onitsha not being planned, is in d case of, in d whole of d city there is no single dual carriage way! Except d enugu-onitsha expressway which is a FG highway dat just passed through d city.

This could be said to be the fault of d military administration... But what anambra lacked in terms of planning and beauty of a state, it has supplemented it in terms of volume of business and commercial activity tru d ingenuity of anambarians! They churn out four,five-six story buildings there like bungalows...so onitsha/anambra is not dragging beauty or d tourism industry with any state! Enugu or calabar can have it! But they will match commercialization with any state bumper to bumper.

Onitsha city is already built up! I don't see any beautification dat can work there! If u ask me,effort should be channeled towards building virgin cities at undeveloped villages around d state! This is even also a challenge cause most villages don't have much land to give! Development have already caught up with most of them.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 5:41pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Lmaooooooo.. The same way I saw in one thread that graveyards ogbomosho and ota are the most industrialized non capital cities in Nigeria. Lmaooo. Yoruba people will never cease to hide their Stup!d!ty.
To the topic post the pictures. its only Peter obi agents here who fear about the truth will say otherwise. I wish all anambra people will drop sentiments aside and vote a technocrat like soludo under pdp (very important) to fix this mess. Clown Peter obi is too petty to improve our cities
APGA have their main root in anambra state it will be difficult for APGA to lose anambra state...
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2012
billante: Before spyder start posting pics let it all be known dat every state or city has its strong points and weak points! First of all anambra is not dragging beauty with any state! None of its cities were planned unlike enugu owerri and other older state capitals! It is all individual development! In d sense dat d industrious citizens did almost all d whole development by them selves! A good Eg of onitsha not being planned, is in d case of, in d whole of d city there is no single dual carriage way! Except d enugu-onitsha expressway which is a FG highway dat just passed through d city.

This could be said to be the fault of d military administration... But what anambra lacked in terms of planning and beauty of a state, it has supplemented it in terms of volume of business and commercial activity tru d ingenuity of anambarians! They churn out four,five-six story buildings there like bungalows...so onitsha/anambra is not dragging beauty or d tourism industry with any state! Enugu or calabar can have it! But they will match commercialization with any state bumper to bumper.

Onitsha city is already built up! I don't see any beautification dat can work there! If u ask me,effort should be channeled towards building virgin cities at undeveloped villages around d state! This is even also a challenge cause most villages don't have much land to give! Development have already caught up with most of them.
You're right but i'm hoping that in the future Anambra will have a governor that will come and clean up Onitsha and make it the number one destination in Nigeria.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by asha80(m): 5:46pm On Jul 27, 2012
Emperoh: I feel Onitsha, for all the revenue it generates for Anambra govt, has not been given priority development.
This is the same for Awka and Nnewi which are, to my reckoning, glorified villages.
Nothing has gone into planning these cities, decongesting the central areas and pushing development to virgin locations
Anambra deserves more than it's getting. Our trader governor has only done what he understands governance to be.
It doesn't end with building roads and equipping schools.

Exposure and experience is not a thing to be taken lightly.
We boast of the skills and resources to make the best cities in the world.
I bet you, Onitsha is even better off now. Imagine as it were in past administrations.

All things being equal, i think we will get it right.
The good thing is that this administration has set standards. No one can go lower and have it cool with ndi Anambra.

I also think that poor development of critical cities are synonymous with states created in and after 1991; in no particular order
Abia, Anambra, Kogi, Ebonyi, Bayelsa, Osun, Ekiti to mention a few.
I don't think, as things stand in these cities, some of which i have passed through, they are any better than glorified villages.

Spyder, please post the pictures as it.
What Anambrarians like me will now have to do is to post pictures of other parts of Awka and Anambra in general
With this, we can then make a better, holistic assessment and judgement because for all i know, Onitsha is not the true picture of Anambra state.
But that's about the first city a first time visitor to Anambra by road, will see.
from what i heard the present administration has made a masterplan for awka,nnewi and onitsha but it has not yet been implemented.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ofala(m): 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2012
*subscribing*
@Spyder: how long will you be at Onitsha? So that I may schedule to be around for you to see the........
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Eifeh(m): 5:51pm On Jul 27, 2012
Cant wait
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ABAKA72(m): 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2012
musKeeto: I'm Igbo and declare that this thread is a waste of time and energy..

Most millionaires? And so what? Wish money could equate to brains
Most hardworking? And so what? Wish muscles could equate to intellect

*runs back to religion section*
if you claim to be igbo then stop embarasing us, you are never articulate in your presentation, what value has your post added to your igbo brothers, if you obsarve defeciency in anything related to your people, you point it out so they can correct it, that's what intelligent people do. You dont impress people by hurridly posting trash on every thread on nairaland, this gives you away as someone not to be taken serious, you are not a bufoon, so stop acting like one.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:56pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ndata: From the tone of your opening remarks, i hope you are not all out to ridicule the city.Make sure you visit the nice places too e.g Omagba phase1&2,Portharcourt road housing estate, G.R.A,3-3area which at this moment is experiencing structural transformation.Peace.

This is obviouslly an indirect attack on Peter Obi and Anambrarians ! The poster is from Enugu and if you pay attention to the title and article you will notice that they are unrelated. I am still at work but I will come back to this.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by manny4life(m): 6:00pm On Jul 27, 2012
Technically, it is, however, it's potential hasn't been tapped to the fullest. The trade volume of commerce in Onitsha is staggering, however, like some have suggested, the city needs a facelift, starting first with transportation infrastructures. If there are roads, trains and airports to enhance speed, you will realize that Onitsha will drive the entire SE into a manufacturing zone. That will spur local manufacturers/buyers to exchange goods and services with less stress.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2012
Anambra: Offodile’s tirades(2)

Tweet

July 24, 2012 | 2:09 pm

Viewpoint

BUT for Governor Obi, flood would have washed the entire Awka away. It was a former Governor that blocked the Iyiagu flood channel and sold all the land there, and people had started building skyscrapers there before Governor Obi’s intervention.

Today, Awka people are very grateful to Governor Obi for opening the channels. He has also done other erosion works in Awka such as storm water management and flood/erosion control at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church gully site, Awka; storm water management at the flood/gully site around Silgery Hospital, Awka; storm water management at the flood/gully site at Umuokpu, Awka; storm water management at the flood/gully site at St. John of God Secondary School, Awka; control of erosion at the new Judiciary Complex, Awka. Even our motor park at Eke Awka, for the first time, received attention. It is asphalted now and therefore rendered usable.

Today Obi has completed the best estate, Ngozika Phase I and started Phase II. It is the height of ingratitude for an Awka man to only seek ways to belittle a noble venture. Gratitude, the wise one said, is the first step to repay a debt.

Talking about development in the State, recently, the government of Peter Obi distributed hundreds of transformers to communities, out of which Awka got some. Benefiting communities include Ifite road, Awka; Agu-Awka (behind Tourist Garden); Agu-Awka (near Commissioners Quarters); Amaku Hospital, Awka; Mopol Base, Awka; Udoka Housing Estate, Phase I; Udoka Housing Estate, Phase II; State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), among others. It will serve Offodile well if he should tell us other past Governors who did such to Awka. Perhaps it also falls within the category of his little things. Haba!

Strange enough, Offodile talked about airport and stadium for Awka. I am aware the people of Awka discussed the issue of stadium with Gov. Obi during the last ‘Imo Awka’ feast and his position was for us to free the stadium land from all encumbrances, for work to start.

As to the issue of airport, Governor Obi has made it clear that with Enugu and Asaba airports, which are about 40 minutes to Awka, Airport is not our priority. Once the roads are fixed, my people would travel to Lagos by road. Airport and capital projects are projects that require deep, feasibility studies and not built out of sentiments.

We are gradually coming to a state where people will request Obi to build seaport in Awka as we have in Lagos, not because Awka which does not have any sea needs it, but to spite Obi.

Chudi Offodile argued that Obi completed projects others started. As far as I am concerned, I do not know how to reply to this. If others completed them, would he have any need of completing them? He may not finish all the projects he started, should others not complete them? From his thesis, uncompleted projects should be abandoned forever. He may have completed the giant State Emergency Management Agency’s building, the building in Women Development Centre, the ASUBEB building, among others, but he also started and completed the roads, the two giant blocks in the State Secretariat, the Customary Court of Appeal building, the Judges Quarters and many more projects.

Development is not about physical structures alone, it is about taking care of the people, not in the sense of sharing the State resources as some want, but using the resources to do the right things. Since Obi became Governor, I have been receiving letters from my people to thank him for paying them arrears of pension owed them since 1991. I have also received letters from civil servants requesting me to thank the Governor for increasing their salaries five times since 2006 and for paying regularly.

Obi has not build schools. Why should a man concentrate in building schools, when those on ground are dilapidated and without basic infrastructure? Today, Girls Secondary School, Awka; St. John Secondary School, Awka; Kenneth Dike Memorial Secondary School, Awka; Capital City Secondary School, Awka; Bishop Crowther Secondary School have benefited from all or one of the following: Computers, generators, buses, borehole, Internet facility, laboratory equipment, among others. Such things may make little sense to Offodile, but they are basic things that when got right will form the basis upon which others will stand.

Since Anambra was created, the State had no base map and none of her cities had structure plan until under Governor Obi. The only thanks Obi is getting for this from Offodile is his diatribe. This is unfortunate.

Beyond Awka, which is my town, I can attest to Obi’s good work in my constituency of Awka South and North. Awka South has one of the best network of roads today with Nibo-Umuawulu road, Agu-Awka- Nibo- Nise ring road, road to Ishiagu, among others. Towns in this local government have all benefitted from one form of project or the other.

In Awka North, Obi has constructed three bridges: Ogbonabo Bridge, connecting Okpuno and Isuaniocha; Ebenebe Bridge, leading to Oba-Ofemili; Umuodu Bridge, Okpuno. These are the first bridges being constructed in those areas, which used to have colonial wooden bridges. Towns like Amanuke benefitted from rural electrification. The School of Agriculture at Mgbakwu can now compete with the best of its kind in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MrGlobe(m): 6:13pm On Jul 27, 2012
Da infamous: APGA have their main root in anambra state it will be difficult for APGA to lose anambra state...
you are day dreaming. Apga is dead in Anambra and cannot win any election , thanks to Peter obi. Remember the last election?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:13pm On Jul 27, 2012
The activities of d Anambra State Road Decongestion Team a.k.a "Ndi Mpawa azu" reached a crescendo on Thursday wen dey engagd in free for all fight wit MASSOB,e.t.cat Upper-iweka.Gov Obi,in a statewide broadcast last night,banned "Ndi Mpawa azu",Ogbaru youth Org,and all other groups from the state whose activities constitute nuisance 2d state n directed the security agencies 2arrest anyone dat flaunts this order!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by legendprac(m): 6:14pm On Jul 27, 2012
i stay in onitsha and can say dat PETER OBI has given us 6yrs of all talk and very very little action(even d actions are ones dat an individual can undertake)
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

you are day dreaming. Apga is dead in Anambra and cannot win any election , thanks to Peter obi. Remember the last election?
that is not true,APGA hold 75% seats in state assembly and they control anambra electorate it will be hard to knock them out wait and see.....
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MrGlobe(m): 6:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
Da infamous or whatever your moniker is can you remove this paid shameful article from this thread, are you and your master not ashamed of yourselves? what a shame!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MrGlobe(m): 6:25pm On Jul 27, 2012
asha 80: mr globe i thought you were an andy uba fan?
I still am. Andy is Nna m ochie. cool
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MrGlobe(m): 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2012
Da infamous: that is not true,APGA hold 75% seats in state assembly and they control anambra electorate it will be hard to knock them out wait and see.....
I laugh in China. How many senatorial seat(s) did apga win. Peter obi killed apga single handedly with his looting and non performance. Currently also internal crises has further buried the party. No Anambra person wants to have anything to do with apga and why has emperor Peter obi refused to conduct LG elections 6 years into his tenure?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by odumchi: 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2012
The economic significance of Onicha in Nigeria and West Africa shouldn't be overlooked.

Since pre-colonial times, Onicha has been the city where boys turn into men and where money is made.

Onicha nmanmanu.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by tunyus(m): 6:34pm On Jul 27, 2012
I serve in dis part of Nigeria,
As 2yrs ago when I was there,no doubt the market is very big,with dff business activities going on dia but dia past governors have not been fair to them in dis great city,because 1 thing you will first notice as u re entering dis city is big building scatered around whereas the road re an eyesore very terible.the whole place was not plan at all.nothing much to be proud of physically as far as onitsha is concern if you realise the great and many genious that as come out of this state

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by asha80(m): 6:37pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

I still am. Andy is Nna m ochie. cool
i have always wanted to ask you this.what is andy uba pedigree or antecedents to make you think that he can articulate a comprehensive development of anambra state?this is also having in mind his brother chris in the shadow vis a vis what he did to anambra 2004?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Kingsley1000(m): 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
Onitsha rocks,i live@new heaven.d inflence f d city has open up many town in its environs in commecial towns lyk nkpor,obosi,oba,ogidi,ogbaru side nd even asaba,capital f delta state....wc 9ja city can u rate it wit?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2012
roads in akwa

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:44pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Da infamous or whatever your moniker is can you remove this paid shameful article from this thread, are you and your master not ashamed of yourselves? what a shame!
hw is it shameful?? evidence is there-guy, am not from anambra but i no a lot of things that goes on in anambra state..............
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 6:46pm On Jul 27, 2012
akwa again build by peter obi.....

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aryzgreat: 7:03pm On Jul 27, 2012
Dranatomy: Talk in English so dat i can hear you
i am not aware of NL forum having audio medium for u to "hear" me. U can use google translator to understand my lingua if u care so much cool
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MrGlobe(m): 7:06pm On Jul 27, 2012
asha 80: i have always wanted to ask you this.what is andy uba pedigree or antecedents to make you think that he can articulate a comprehensive development of anambra state?this is also having in mind his brother chris in the shadow vis a vis what he did to anambra 2004?
I may not understand your definition of 'pedigree or antecedents' but if its what I think you mean then can you also tell me the antecedents of someone like fashola or chime before they became governors. Also in the 2 weeks of his governorship, Andy uba showed commitment to transforming the state. He awarded the contract for the international cargo airport at Oba. He already has all the money he needs in this life so I don't possibly have a problem with him and management of state resources like thief Peter obi. Remember his brother was arrested through his influence during one of the elections so Chris will never be a problem. That's my 2 cents but I prefer soludo for the job.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by noiseless: 7:08pm On Jul 27, 2012
We must learn to ignore what the ofemmanus would say about us cos whether good or bad,they are known to be allergic to anything about us,it's their pull down tactics. So we need do our things and ignore them when we are supposed to keep focused for our own interest as they will never change. Pls OP, we are waiting and don't spare anything, lol!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Meet The Female Banks CEOs In Nigeria / The Crowd I Saw At The Onitsha Mall - Pictures / How Much Is Cooking Gas In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.