Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:12 PM

Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) (3814 Views)

10 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know By Heart / As A Devoted Christian Should She Study Islamic Studies In The University? / 4 Sexual Sins Every Christian Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ok. It's a major theme in some branded churches that the Christian should not be poor, but be very rich. And I have seen at least one atheist say that the Bible requires the Christian to give up everything and become poor. Also some poor dude was on this forum a little while ago complaining that it was ungodly men that were rich and it was a sin for the Christian to be rich. So I think the issue is quite relevant.

Should the Christian be poor? Or should he be rich? What does the Bible say? What do you say?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2012
A christian should be rich.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 27, 2012
No one should be rich. You work hard to get rich... or you get an inheritance.. or get lucky... No one is born with a right to be rich.. not even getting 'born again' would do that...

1 Like

Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 27, 2012
andromida: A christian should be rich.

No quarrels with that. . .if you show the Bible, that is grin Seriously though, show us how the Bible says so.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 27, 2012
musKeeto: No one should be rich. You work hard to get rich... or you get an inheritance.. or get lucky... No one is born with a right to be rich.. not even getting 'born again' would do that...

"Family only" means that the Bible is the last word here, dude. Show or put up, please. Pretty please with loads of sugar on top.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
Family only? Please, use the famous 'CHRISTIANS ONLY' tag next time.. Over and out...
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
musKeeto: Family only? Please, use the famous 'CHRISTIANS ONLY' tag next time.. Over and out...

Thank you so much. Don't really mind if you hang around but if you want to opine, you do so around the Bible. smiley
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Delafruita(m): 2:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ihedinobi:

"Family only" means that the Bible is the last word here, dude. Show or put up, please. Pretty please with loads of sugar on top.
what do you mean by "family only"?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Delafruita(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2012
musKeeto: No one should be rich. You work hard to get rich... or you get an inheritance.. or get lucky... No one is born with a right to be rich.. not even getting 'born again' would do that...
i concur
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 27, 2012
Delafruita:
what do you mean by "family only"?

It's right up there in that comment of mine you posted. Comments are welcome from everyone, but all arguments must be based on the Bible. No other authority is recognised on this thread.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by MrAnony1(m): 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2012
Christ told u to seek His kingdom first, that's what's important. Material riches are secondary.
Matthew 6:33.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 27, 2012
oh well maybe the christian word is not appropriate here so i will say a believer in the word of God as the final authority in his/her life ought not be poor if he/she desires to be rich.

Dueteronomy 15:4 KJV Except when there shall be no poor among you; for the LORD shall greatly bless you in the land which the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance to possess it.

reading the passage through i understand it to mean if the laws were to be obeyed properly then a situation will/may arise where there will be no poor man among believers.

The new international version and other versions are closer-:Deuteronomy 15:4 However, there should be no poor among you, for in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess as your inheritance, he will richly bless you

Deuteronomy 8:18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

Deuteronomy 28 “Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth.
2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God:

3 “Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country.

4 “Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.

5 “Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.

6 “Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

7 “The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.

8 “The Lord will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

9 “The Lord will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in His ways.
10 Then all peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you.
11 And the Lord will grant you plenty of goods, in the fruit of your body, in the increase of your livestock, and in the produce of your ground, in the land of which the Lord swore to your fathers to give you.
12 The Lord will open to you His good treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. You shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow.
13 And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you heed the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe them.

2 corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

The catch to enjoying all these blessing being matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 27, 2012
Will be here tomorrow with an answer. Battery's low right now.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 28, 2012
Mr_Anony: Christ told u to seek His kingdom first, that's what's important. Material riches are secondary.
Matthew 6:33.

I want to hear what you think, my brother, are material riches secondary because they are separate from the Kingdom of God or for some other reason?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
andromida: oh well maybe the christian word is not appropriate here so i will say a believer in the word of God as the final authority in his/her life ought not be poor if he/she desires to be rich.

Dueteronomy 15:4 KJV Except when there shall be no poor among you; for the LORD shall greatly bless you in the land which the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance to possess it.

reading the passage through i understand it to mean if the laws were to be obeyed properly then a situation will/may arise where there will be no poor man among believers.

The new international version and other versions are closer-:Deuteronomy 15:4 However, there should be no poor among you, for in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess as your inheritance, he will richly bless you

Deuteronomy 8:18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

Deuteronomy 28 “Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth.
2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God:

3 “Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country.

4 “Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.

5 “Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.

6 “Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

7 “The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.

8 “The Lord will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

9 “The Lord will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in His ways.
10 Then all peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you.
11 And the Lord will grant you plenty of goods, in the fruit of your body, in the increase of your livestock, and in the produce of your ground, in the land of which the Lord swore to your fathers to give you.
12 The Lord will open to you His good treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. You shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow.
13 And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you heed the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe them.

2 corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

The catch to enjoying all these blessing being matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Please o, the word "Christian" is fully allowed o, I just prefered to use "family" instead. I think of Christians as family and I would love for each one of them to approach the issue like a family pow wow rather than a war of doctrines.

As to your position, is it then a sin for a Christian to be poor? Or perhaps an evidence of some sin on his part?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
[quote author=Ihedinobi]

Please o, the word "Christian" is fully allowed o, I just prefered to use "family" instead. I think of Christians as family and I would love for each one of them to approach the issue like a family pow wow rather than a war of doctrines.

As to your position, is it then a sin for a Christian to be poor? Or perhaps an evidence of some sin on his part?[/quo

No it is not a sin for a christian to be poor but the poor will always be among us. The rich ones should then reduce the yoke of the poor ones amongst us until poverty is no more. Poverty is not the evidence of sin but perhaps the absence of knowledge. Hosea 4:6
my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 12:46am On Jul 29, 2012

Seconded.

Matthew6:24 to 32
This is the standard if christianity is ur real interest.

But if it is not christianity, u can look for other justification as it suite u.

I believe that if one is skill, i mean highly skill, he will make a lot of money owing to the demand for his services.

But there are people that are very rich, have businesses that fetched them a lot of money but decided to scale down to afford them more time to devote in teaching people the bible.

So, This other things that will be added as mention in matthew 6:33 are the things earlier mentioned in vas 24 to 32 of that matthew.
Food, Clothing, shelter. = basic necessities.

Shelter mention here is not specified as a mansion or slum. Just shelter as in shelter not specific, but assured, there will be shelter.
So also is the food, and clothing, they are just what it takes to sustain life, it is not specific that it must be expensive, neither did it say it must be cheap.

This guarantee is basic human need. Though as earlier pointed out depending on the individual level of skill the little the skill person does can translate to alot of money.

Apostle paul was a tenth maker, this occupation allows him to work while on the move. But may not translate to lots of earnings.
But he did cover a lot of ground due to a simplified life style.

There is no basis in the bible that one becoming a christian must be very rich, neither is there a basis to conclude that one must be poor.
If one was poor befor becoming a christian there are no assurance that he will become rich except he develop his or her self. But the bible gives one the encouragement to continue ones service either rich or poor.

There are individual that has embrace christianity from royal families, how do one expect this sort to be poor?

But most people chose to simplify there life to enable them have the time to help others know what the bible says.
Though they have what it takes to be very rich.

Ironically, certain experiences help me to believe that carrying a lot of obvious baggages (showing too much wealth) can be a liability in christian living.

Though some christian quote 3John as a basis for prosperity i believe it is a misapplication of scripture since the prosperity mentioned there was a reference to prospering in the TRUTH.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by ijawkid(m): 8:08am On Jul 29, 2012
Delafruita:
i concur
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by ijawkid(m): 8:11am On Jul 29, 2012

D scripture supports ur stance.....

But what's with d picture??

Who's that??

Your cousin??lol
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by ijawkid(m): 8:26am On Jul 29, 2012
All the principles involved in how a christian shuld view riches and wealth is found in 1 timothy 6:6-10 $ 17-18.....

6 But godliness with contentment is great
gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world,
and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we
have food and clothing, we will be content with
that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into
temptation and a trap and into many foolish
and harmful desires that plunge people into
ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money
is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people,
eager for money, have wandered from the
faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
Command those who are rich in this present
world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope
in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put
their hope in God, who richly provides us with
everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command
them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and
to be generous and willing to share...

There shuld be a balance....

Christians are not to be determined to get rich neither shuld an already rich person desire for more and more wealth.........

Rather contentment shuld be a christians watch word.........

In verses 17 $ 18 there admonishes those who are already rich while as christians not to focus on there riches but to focus on godliness..how?by using there riches to help d needy,in doing good works...that's in line with what Jesus told that rich man when he was on earth.......

So CONTENMENT is what a christian shuld be envisaging not how to become wealthy....

Why??

Because it'll be easier for a camel to pass thru d eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into Gods kingdom....

From Jesus statement it can be drawn that only an infinitessimal few who are christians and also rich @ d same time can enter into Gods kingdom.....

Final point

A christian shuld ponder over contentment and not how to gain riches...
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 29, 2012
ijawkid:

D scripture supports ur stance.....

But what's with d picture??

Who's that??

Your cousin??lol
Hahaa.. i think say buzugee go comment for the thread.. i been wan piss am offf... where im dey sef?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by ijawkid(m): 12:37pm On Jul 29, 2012
musKeeto:
Hahaa.. i think say buzugee go comment for the thread.. i been wan piss am offf... where im dey sef?

Lol.....me I never see am today..

Make we go look for am o........

He might be in a boxing ring with logicbwoy...

Lol
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2012
Hmmm...thinking...
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by ijawkid(m): 3:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
Ihedinobi: Hmmm...thinking...

About what?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 29, 2012
ijawkid:

About what?

Everything that's been said on the thread so far smiley
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by MrAnony1(m): 5:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I want to hear what you think, my brother, are material riches secondary because they are separate from the Kingdom of God or for some other reason?
Hmm, well ok, I'm sure you already know my answer but you still wanted to ask smiley so here goes........
Material riches are not separate from God's Kingdom (all good and perfect gifts come from God), rather I'll say they are peripheral to the kingdom of God i.e the Kingdom of God is the main dish, material riches is the toothpick after the meal. The the toothpick is not necessary after the meal but if you really like the toothpick and ask your Father, He will give you as many as you want. It is silly however to leave the main dish and pursue after the toothpick.

Christianity is never synonymous with poverty neither is it synonymous with material wealth. Material riches or the lack of it is not what identifies a christian. As a christian, you can be a billionaire with multiple private jets and gold bullion. You can also be a christian and be as broke as a church rat with only one article of clothing and no food and no money. You can also be anywhere in the middle.

The main thing is that money must never control you. Your appetite must be for the main dish and not the peripherals. If you go to a restaurant and instead of ordering food, you order for toothpick and napkins then something is very wrong somewhere.
This is how silly christians look before God when we chase after material wealth at the expense of a relationship with God.....

.......heck I am sure that even the devil is amused by it, he is somewhere laughing his head off at such a person
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 7:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Hmm, well ok, I'm sure you already know my answer but you still wanted to ask smiley so here goes........
Material riches are not separate from God's Kingdom (all good and perfect gifts come from God), rather I'll say they are peripheral to the kingdom of God i.e the Kingdom of God is the main dish, material riches is the toothpick after the meal. The the toothpick is not necessary after the meal but if you really like the toothpick and ask your Father, He will give you as many as you want. It is silly however to leave the main dish and pursue after the toothpick.

Christianity is never synonymous with poverty neither is it synonymous with material wealth. Material riches or the lack of it is not what identifies a christian. As a christian, you can be a billionaire with multiple private jets and gold bullion. You can also be a christian and be as broke as a church rat with only one article of clothing and no food and no money. You can also be anywhere in the middle.

The main thing is that money must never control you. Your appetite must be for the main dish and not the peripherals. If you go to a restaurant and instead of ordering food, you order for toothpick and napkins then something is very wrong somewhere.
This is how silly christians look before God when we chase after material wealth at the expense of a relationship with God.....

.......heck I am sure that even the devil is amused by it, he is somewhere laughing his head off at such a person

As much as i like ur ballance, i will add that matthew 6:33 said we should seek for God's kingdom first, and this other things will be added,
That matthew did not say we should do the asking for this other things, but rather it is automatic. "Will be added to you" so, it did not give room for individual to decide on what to ask for on the other things, its left to God.

Like in the lord's prayer, the instruction is, "give us today our daily bread" has nothing to do with us specifying the kind of bread that should be given to us.

So, if like u said, one decided to be asking for took pick instead of the main course dish. Do you imagine that God will answer a prayer that is not in accordance with his will?

If someone prays and gets an answer when the prayer was not according to God's will, do you really believe it was the Almighty God that answered that prayer?
Some people uses satan's power u know.

Jesus shows that our prayers should be pattern in accordance with God's WILL.
Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by MrAnony1(m): 10:54am On Jul 30, 2012
truthislight:
As much as i like ur ballance, i will add that matthew 6:33 said we should seek for God's kingdom first, and this other things will be added,
That matthew did not say we should do the asking for this other things, but rather it is automatic. "Will be added to you" so, it did not give room for individual to decide on what to ask for on the other things, its left to God.

Like in the lord's prayer, the instruction is, "give us today our daily bread" has nothing to do with us specifying the kind of bread that should be given to us.

So, if like u said, one decided to be asking for took pick instead of the main course dish. Do you imagine that God will answer a prayer that is not in accordance with his will?

If someone prays and gets an answer when the prayer was not according to God's will, do you really believe it was the Almighty God that answered that prayer?
Some people uses satan's power u know.

Jesus shows that our prayers should be pastan in accordance with God's WILL.
Peace
Yeah, we must pray according to God's will, but then remember it is not against God's will to prosper us materially. God is our father and it is completely our right as His children to ask Him for wealth. The only thing we have to make note of is that we set our priorities right and lay more importance on Him as our Father over and above material blessings.
you may want to look up Matthew 7:7-11.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by EazyJ(f): 11:53am On Jul 30, 2012
It's not bad if christians are rich though dat shouldn't be their primary goal according 2 Matt.6:33.We have quite a number of rich people in d Bible who served God despite of their wealth(A good example is Job).Since God is d giver of wealth according to Deut.8:18,then christians are entitled 2 it.God is our father and we His children so we have a right to wealth(Haggai 2:cool
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 1:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Yeah, we must pray according to God's will, but then remember it is not against God's will to prosper us materially. God is our father and it is completely our right as His children to ask Him for wealth. The only thing we have to make note of is that we set our priorities right and lay more importance on Him as our Father over and above material blessings.
you may want to look up Matthew 7:7-11.
I dont think that the bible teaches that wealth is bad, am only saying the bible in no place promise of prosperity on becoming a christian, and as such there is no basis in the bible to teach such.

People can be rich with a good skill be them christian or not.

Looking at people from the angle of being rich as a measure of one being acceptable by God is not base in the bible.

Jesus parent were not rich as can be seen by their two turtle dove sacrifice which was the least of the possible items to be use for such sacrifice.
If God did not consider his son's earthly parent to be extra ordinary wealthy why should i think that he considers it to be absolutely necessary?

My point is that people should focus on the big picture which is ETERNAL LIFE.

God see the big picture, how to give eternal life. Unless some one will tell me that on getting very rich one will not grow old again, fall sick again, or one will not DIE AGAIN?
Unless still someone wants to tell me that the former Nigeria president Umaru musa yaradua was a poor man.

When one looks at christianity without the deem prosperity glasses then one can see things from Gods stand point.

I did say one can have lots of money depending on how one is or the nature of his business and the opportunities that came his way. Still, being skillful is very important to be able to harness it.

Ok, considering Matthew7:7-11, we have to consider this scripture in the light of what he Jesus had said earlier in matthew 6:33, that the first thing we should seek for should be in connection with God's kingdom, so, while asking whatever, it should be geared toward God's kingdom first.
(note, all this statement was said on his sermon on the mount, a straight discuss)
the sense is still seek ye first the kingdom and its righteouseness.
Asking also follows this first priority.

What i have said completely excludes extortion in the name of God.
Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by MrAnony1(m): 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
truthislight:
I dont think that the bible teaches that wealth is bad, am only saying the bible in no place promise of prosperity on becoming a christian, and as such there is no basis in the bible to teach such.

People can be rich with a good skill be them christian or not.

Looking at people from the angle of being rich as a measure of one being acceptable by God is not base in the bible.

Jesus parent were not rich as can be seen by their two turtle dove sacrifice which was the least of the possible items to be use for such sacrifice.
If God did not consider his son's earthly parent to be extra ordinary wealthy why should i think that he considers it to be absolutely necessary?

My point is that people should focus on the big picture which is ETERNAL LIFE.

God see the big picture, how to give eternal life. Unless some one will tell me that on getting very rich one will not grow old again, fall sick again, or one will not DIE AGAIN?
Unless still someone wants to tell me that the former Nigeria president Umaru musa yaradua was a poor man.

When one looks at christianity without the deem prosperity glasses then one can see things from Gods stand point.

I did say one can have lots of money depending on how one is or the nature of his business and the opportunities that came his way. Still, being skillful is very important to be able to harness it.

What i have said completely excludes extortion in the name of God.
Peace
I agree
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 30, 2012
Christians who desire to be rich have not desired wrongly however it is not an excuse to be lazy and waiting for manna to drop from heaven. If a christian desires to be rich he should work towards it and be patient for God to bless the works of his hand not breaking the laws of the land,or extorting church members or embezzling funds meant for the greater good of the society or robbing others whether with guns or pen however poor christians are not lesser christians than rich ones in time if they so desire (or not) God will bless them.

Not all christians will be rich not because of sin or offence to God.

Poverty is a relation of shame because then you become a beggar.In extreme cases it can lead to stealing and hating of well to do people and sometimes death.We all know this is not the will of our father for us,nevertheless the poor will always be amongst us and we are not to despise them or look down on them or ridicule them but lift them up when we have been richly blessed and for poor christians they should learn to be contented in whatever state they find themselves working joyfully to better themselves in due time even by laws of the universe they will be established.

Christians should not be lazy but put their hands,skills,intelligence to work. We are all gifted in one thing or the other and can as well find one thing or the other to do that will fetch us reward for our labour.

We all know that material riches should not be our focus but fruits of the spirit. We must understand that money is a tool not an end in itself. This is the currency of the world we dwell in presently and so we need it in our earthly journey but some will raise the story of lazarus as a reason why christians should be poor or it is hard for a rich man get to heaven but will neglect the end of the scripture which says however with God all things are possible. The gold and the silver belongs to the Almighty God should he notgive it to if not his children to do his work and live well? All mission works have need for money.You must not live in penury before you glorify God,living in penury sef may lead to damaging your soul with envy,hate,anger etc. Christians must strive for balance,i have never seen anywhere at any point in time where poverty helped anyone except perhaps as in a lot of cases false humility.

2 thessalonians 3 vs 10-15
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Righteous Pastors In Sierra Leone / Rev Isaac Odiri Idahosa In Leeds / Where Is God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.