Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:48 PM

From One President To Another: Jerry Rawlings On The Death Of John Attah Mills - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / From One President To Another: Jerry Rawlings On The Death Of John Attah Mills (1394 Views)

New Tanzania President John-Magufuli Did These In Just 3 Months – AMAZING / Late President Atta Mills Funeral Pictures / Ghana's President Atta Mills Is Dead!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From One President To Another: Jerry Rawlings On The Death Of John Attah Mills by FSU: 3:56pm On Jul 27, 2012
Rawlings’ Comments On Ghana’s Ex-Leader Were Unfortunate
By Francis Xavier Tuokuu July 27, 2012 1 Comment

Listening to former president Jerry John Rawlings on BBC Focus on Africa in far away Congo on the demise of Ghana’s president John Mills, makes one wonder whether ex-president Rawlings has lost his African values.

The African culture does not permit one to speak ill of the death no matter how evil the person was in his life time. This president Rawlings defied in his interview granted to BBC. In any case, Prof. John Mills lived a descent, humble, affable and honest life and this has been attested by even his enemies and detractors.

What did Jerry John Rawlings say on BBC? The ex-president Rawlings said he was shocked but not surprised to hear of the death of president Mills on Tuesday, 24th July, 2012, which occurred at the 37 Military Hospital in Accra.

According to him, “quite frankly had he (Mills) been advised and done something wiser, he could probably have survived another six seven months I guess”.

He added that, he had been battling with cancer for a long time and he was unable to sit at meetings for more than three hours because the cancer had affected his sight and hearing. “It was quite a shock to both my wife and I because he’s been battling the cancer for quite a while but this is certainly the wrong time for him to go because we have elections around the corner in December”, he said.

The funny thing was when the former president was asked about the legacy of president Mills, he remarked, “he’s played his part. As my Vice President, he was one of the finest but there again, considering that the cancer affected his eyes and ears, he couldn’t sustain more than three hours a day so it was naturally going to affect his performance.”

On his opinion about the leadership qualities of John Mahama (who was immediately sworn in as president of Ghana in fulfillment of Article 60(6) of the 1992 constitution) and whether or not he can lead the country, he said, “I don’t know but I hope so”.

What the former president does not know is that, no one, not even medical doctors can postpone their death. God gives and takes and it is HE who has certainly called president Mills to HIS bosom.

http://tekedia.com/45450/rawlings-comments-on-ghanas-ex-leader-were-unfortunate/
Re: From One President To Another: Jerry Rawlings On The Death Of John Attah Mills by FSU: 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
Did Rawlings violate the African ethic of not speaking ill of the dead or was he being realistic that a sick president is invariably disfunctional and should leave? Remember sick Yaradua and how his inability to govern almost brought Nigeria to its knees?

(1) (Reply)

"It's Far From Over, There Are 600,000 Ballots In Question"- Trump Lawyer Rudy G / Ukraine's Foreign Minister Shares Photo Of Unexploded Bomb / Bin Laden Secrets Revealed In Latest Clinton E-mail Leak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.