Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:31 PM

London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony - Sports (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (52189 Views)

AFCON 2013 Opening Ceremony Live / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? / 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 1:08am On Jul 28, 2012
Yawning. .. . .

Ok, London, what else? undecided
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Patsey: 1:12am On Jul 28, 2012
Onegai: The theme of the Games is "Inspire the Next Generation". So no, it wasn't about England, Ireland or Scotland, it was about the youth. Hence reading bedtime stories, a child being comforted after the loss of a loved one, the industrial revolution (a movement driven by the youth and the future), and the lighting of the flame done by young athletes nominated by old athletes as a baton-passing. Lots of Pop-culture and british tongue-in-cheek humor. It felt very personal and real, and I cannot remember any comedic parts from any other Olympic openings, do you?

Score: A+ (because it felt human, unlike the fake perfection of the Beijing Olympics, where they changed a child singer because of her looks).

WELL SAID.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Youngsage: 1:12am On Jul 28, 2012
$tunna:
your comment pissed me off big time dats why
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Youngsage: 1:13am On Jul 28, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Yawning. .. . .

Ok, London, what else? undecided
Go to bed, its way past your bed time
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Patsey: 1:15am On Jul 28, 2012
Youngsage: your comment pissed me off big time dats why
YOUR COMMENTS SEEMINGLY LACK DECORUM. ENDEAVOUR TO MEASURE YOUR REACTIONS.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 28, 2012
if you know your history then the opening ceremony made sense. people are talking as if nigeria can even pull off anything close to that - lets sort out nepa first b4 pulling down another nation.

remove the log in ur eye before commenting on the splinter in another persons eye
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by omoeso(m): 1:18am On Jul 28, 2012
Best olympic opening ceremony so far. Very natural. Unlike the Beijing with too much technology. This is simplicity at its best. Showcasing history, Inspiring next generation. Splendid!

1 Like

Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 1:22am On Jul 28, 2012
omoeso: Best olympic opening ceremony so far. Very natural. Unlike the Beijing with too much technology. This is simplicity at its best. Showcasing history, Inspiring next generation. Splendid!
London Olympic Ceremony looks less than a dress rehearsal compared to Beijing well-choreographed hyper-technological futuristic opening ceremony. Beijing may never be surpassed in recent times. The only people who can surpass Beijing 98, will be Chinese themselves.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by expat: 1:26am On Jul 28, 2012
Well done England!

Very authentic display of what made GB what it is without over doing it. Much better then what was shown in the past Olympic opening which was only about showing off.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by kael: 1:28am On Jul 28, 2012
London opening ceremony.... I tot I was watching a children's play, eve Nigeria could pull off something better. It completely pales in comparison to Beijing. Adin there is no basis of comparison. The dancers looked disorientated and unsynchronized.maybe Danny Boyle tot he was making a movie... Too many close up shots it was too individualistic. And too much joyful dancing and singing for opening ceremony.. It meant to be at the closing ceremony. But I give it to them for not even trying to compete with beijings £200mil budget
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Youngsage: 1:38am On Jul 28, 2012
Patsey:
YOUR COMMENTS SEEMINGLY LACK DECORUM. ENDEAVOUR TO MEASURE YOUR REACTIONS.
It's obvious you're grossly demented. As such, you definitely have no comprehension of the English language. I never addressed any of my comments to you, did I? You need to be educated
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 1:39am On Jul 28, 2012
kael: London opening ceremony.... I tot I was watching a children's play, eve Nigeria could pull off something better. It completely pales in comparison to Beijing. Adin there is no basis of comparison. The dancers looked disorientated and unsynchronized.maybe Danny Boyle tot he was making a movie... Too many close up shots it was too individualistic. And too much joyful dancing and singing for opening ceremony.. It meant to be at the closing ceremony. But I give it to them for not even trying to compete with beijings £200mil budget
You are so right....If I actually paid to watch, I would have asked for a refund...
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Youngsage: 1:40am On Jul 28, 2012
kael: London opening ceremony.... I tot I was watching a children's play, eve Nigeria could pull off something better. It completely pales in comparison to Beijing. Adin there is no basis of comparison. The dancers looked disorientated and unsynchronized.maybe Danny Boyle tot he was making a movie... Too many close up shots it was too individualistic. And too much joyful dancing and singing for opening ceremony.. It meant to be at the closing ceremony. But I give it to them for not even trying to compete with beijings £200mil budget
agreed
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by mruknaijaboy(m): 1:55am On Jul 28, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I love how London tried to incorporate as many black people as they could in this opening ceremony.

Very beautiful. cool

the UK tried but it didnt compare to USA though, they had the most black athletes for a non black country hands down, if there was someone on this planet who was just finding out about USA just today and saw their bit of the ceremony they would have thought it was a black country lol
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Odinaka00(m): 2:29am On Jul 28, 2012
Super sports dey show olympic games now? Na ♓☺w τ̲̅ȍ get up from dz bed be ♍Ɣ wahala nw, I nor even knw wetin carry me enter NL by dz time lol
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by swizz01(m): 2:48am On Jul 28, 2012
Pls †ђξ london olympics ceremony wz on point.......†ђξ formin of †ђξ rings....also †ђξ Queen of England aπϑ James Bond scene......dt wz a grand entry....hueva tinks dt 9ja wld pull a tin lyk dt shd beta sleep aπϑ wake up τ̅☺ reality...!!!
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by swizz01(m): 2:52am On Jul 28, 2012
omoeso: Best olympic opening ceremony so far. Very natural. Unlike the Beijing with too much technology. This is simplicity at its best. Showcasing history, Inspiring next generation. Splendid!

Its so natural...I do agree ώį̸̸̨ƭƕ U̶̲̥̅̊....
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by mruknaijaboy(m): 3:43am On Jul 28, 2012
London we didnt try for our opening ceremony,would have expected us to have a better opening ceremony than bejing from the way they were talking about it in the news before today, i think bejing 2008 set a standard that wont be matched for years if not decades
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by hustla242: 3:49am On Jul 28, 2012
mruknaijaboy:

the UK tried but it didnt compare to USA though, they had the most black athletes for a non black country hands down, if there was someone on this planet who was just finding out about USA just today and saw their bit of the ceremony they would have thought it was a black country lol

People need to stop comparing the UK to the States, it's an unfair comparison.

Two completely different countries in different continents, just give credit where it's due- I think it was an excellent opening ceremony.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by dtwsola(m): 4:22am On Jul 28, 2012
All this UK-US bickering needs to stop. Who the F cares? Silly Nigerians forgetting where they're from.

On another note, great opening ceremony. Never liked The Arctic Monkeys but they did an excellent cover of the Beatles.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by naptu2: 5:25am On Jul 28, 2012
The opening ceremony was just ok. Apart from the torch lighting ceremony, there was nothing extraordinary. However, the torch lighting aspect was very good. It ranks alongside Barcelona as my favourite.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by marvel10: 6:51am On Jul 28, 2012
The best opening ceremony ever!! Danny Boyle was truly magnificent. Culture is not something you can pretend about understanding. I am glad that it wasn't so much about sports in the ceremony nor celebrities but about the UK and how far it has come, where it is headed etc
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by solgee(m): 7:01am On Jul 28, 2012
The opening ceremony was great. Let us appreciate good thing without sentiment.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by naptu2: 7:17am On Jul 28, 2012
I usually judge opening ceremonies based on how unique and memorable they were. There's got to be something different, amazing, unique that'd make me wish I was there, or that I was the one, or make me remember it in ten year's time.

Therefore, in my view, the torch lighting sequence saved this opening ceremony. That's the only part I'll remember in ten year's time. The whole history and evolution thing is the same ol' same ol' stuff that countries do at opening ceremonies (watch opening ceremonies of Maroc '88, Algiers '90 and Cairo '91).

L.A '84 I remember the rocket man that flew across the stadium, Diana Ross (reach out and touch), Lionel Richie (All Night Long), the multi-coloured flash-lights, etc.

Seoul '88 I remember Koreana (Hand in Hand We Stand) and the laser show.

Barcelona '92 and Atlanta '96 the torch lighting sequence (the archer in '92 and Mohammed Ali in '96). Remember Atlanta also did the memory lane stuff with Dr King (I have a dream).

Sydney 2000 was about Aria on Air (that kid was wonderful) and Cathy Freeman.

In ten year's time, the only thing I'll remember about London 2012 opening ceremony is the torch lighting sequence (which was wonderful).
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by RuuDie(m): 7:35am On Jul 28, 2012
The theme basically defines the content and the theme for this olympic is "Inspire a Generation" --- a tribute to the future; and what better represents or symbolizes the "future", other than children, youths, teenagers. . .
I didn't watch the ceremony but if you did and it came across to you as child's play or kindergaten-like stuff, then thumbs up to the organizers!
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by kandiikane(m): 7:48am On Jul 28, 2012
dtw_sola: All this UK-US bickering needs to stop. Who the F cares? Silly Nigerians forgetting where they're from.

On another note, great opening ceremony. Never liked The Arctic Monkeys but they did an excellent cover of the Beatles.

Please, tell them some more. They never cheered for naija as they did for US or GB.

Lost cats!! tongue

1 Like

Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 28, 2012
kandiikane:

Please, tell them some more. They never cheered for naija as they did for US or GB.

Lost cats!! tongue
before making frivolous comparison, u need to think it deep. the countries u mentioned would get cheered more than any country in the world cos of their positions amongst world super powers and popularity
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by kandiikane(m): 8:34am On Jul 28, 2012
toba: before making frivolous comparison, u need to think it deep. the countries u mentioned would get cheered more than any country in the world cos of their positions amongst world super powers and popularity

What frivolous comparison did I make?

In this very thread NIGERIANS cheered another man's country more than their own, how does that work?
And even sit here debating on two countries who don't give 2cents about them.

In fact, did you hear any good thing come out of the commentators' mouth for the african countries?

It's like accepting another family as your own because they are rich and powerful and yours is poor.

It's shameful!

I shouldn't be surprised though. Black men will sell their own mothers for mere akara.

1 Like

Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by maximum007(m): 8:57am On Jul 28, 2012
The opening ceremony was a mix of interesting and some very boring stuffs. I loved the stunts and tricks though.
Re: London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 28, 2012
kandiikane:

What frivolous comparison did I make?

In this very thread NIGERIANS cheered another man's country more than their own, how does that work?
And even sit here debating on two countries who don't give 2cents about them.

In fact, did you hear any good thing come out of the commentators' mouth for the african countries?

It's like accepting another family as your own because they are rich and powerful and yours is poor.

It's shameful!

I shouldn't be surprised though. Black men will sell their own mothers for mere akara.
its still amounts to frivolities. u may wish to review previous pages especially on that when the Nigerian contingent were being ushered into the scene of the stadium.
Many cheered Nigeria and appreciated the constumes. I wouldnt know when cheering other countries becomes one being enslaved.

Also depending on the channel/medium u watched the games. where i did, the commentaries were fairly balanced. Just as u cant compare Gambia with Nigeria, same way America(Usa) and GB are bigger than Nigeria.

I think everything has been fair so far and not lopsided from my analytical perspective.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (Reply)

The Document Cristiano Ronaldo Signed With Katheryn Mayorga / Suspects In The Chelsea Recent Loss Of Matches / Beautiful Pictures Of Eket International Stadium In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.