Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

How Did You Learn Your Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Did You Learn Your Language? (5155 Views)

Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? / How Do You Translate this specific Body Parts In Your Language? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by freecocoa(f): 12:35pm On Aug 10, 2012
Orikinla: My Mother taught me our mother tongue of Igbo, whilst my father taught me the Yoruba language since he grew up among the Yorubas since age 9.
Grandpa ORIKI is igbo?shocked

Thought you are from chad o.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by DIG1: 1:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
Understand's Nig 3 major languages, born as an easterner, grew up in north, schooled in d west.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by Areaboy2(m): 1:14pm On Aug 10, 2012
DIG1: Understand's Nig 3 major languages, born as an easterner, grew up in north, schooled in d west.
thumbs up for u mate
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by ajf(m): 1:24pm On Aug 10, 2012
I just see sey I dey speak am noni. It should be from my parents and the environment sha...
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by Ubiero(f): 1:40pm On Aug 10, 2012
sad It's sad but I don't understand my language .My parents didn't see the need to speak it.I guess it's cos they're not from d same place.People tell me I shld be able to speak mumsy's language,at least.But even my mumsy doesn't speak her language to us. The only language I know rite now is English.Tryin to learn a bit of yoruba cos my bf is yoruba.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by LongOne1(m): 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2012
Unfortunately, I can’t speak any Nigerian Language. embarassed

At least I speak pidgin, vernacular, and broken English fluently. tongue
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by klas(m): 2:52pm On Aug 10, 2012
^^^ what language is vernacular?
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by chucky234(m): 3:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
mma love: @ kengis, vous parlez francais bien?, moi je parle un peu. Je veux deven
ir votre correspondante? Repondez-moi
O baby you dey show your Anambra skillz come dey think say na French,abi na so French sound for your village. I sure say na Cotonou wey dem mix with Yoruba you dey speak so
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by chucky234(m): 3:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
DIG1: Understand's Nig 3 major languages, born as an easterner, grew up in north, schooled in d west.
Omo see local tourist, thank God say you don finish touring before Boko boys begin bomb north.
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by LongOne1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2012
klas: ^^^ what language is vernacular?

Vernacular in this context is the same as pidgin, which is the same as broken English. Moreover, I was monkeying around.
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by kcreal(f): 4:44pm On Aug 10, 2012
I grew up in my native land, that's enough reason to learn it.
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by 19naia(m): 5:08pm On Aug 10, 2012
i dont remember learning my first language,english..I must have learned from my family raiseing me...my second language was Yoruba with friends at school because we did not speak yoruba at home or in the classroom lessons...2 years of playing with friends at primary school and my yoruba was sufficient for normal life there...My third language now is spanish and i just move to a spanish speaking country and study a book and watch the television with written english caption as they speak spanish and i have dictionary and some times friends give me short lessons to help..I still have a ways to go,but i have such a good foundation in spanish now that its easy to understand whats being said if the people are talking about what they are doing at the moment to include actions as examples and i can understand some abstract conversations but those are the hardest without my translation book...yo apprende poco des lengua espanol todos las dias aqui..esta bien,A Dios Vos
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by gsmgold: 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
freecocoa: Yeah bow your head in shame undecided
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by Yeske2(m): 10:41pm On Aug 10, 2012
mma love: @ kengis, vous parlez francais bien?, moi je parle un peu. Je veux deven
Second sentence, do you mean to say ..
Je veux être votre correspondante, repondez-moi.
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by kengis: 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
Oui je parle tres bien francais et je serai ravi d'etre ton correspondent
Mais ou vis tu ?
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by omah1(f): 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2012
learnt yoruba in school(pry nd sec), Igbo was a bit of a challenge cos my friends back in sch(fed univ of agric,Umudike)constantly yab me. lol. I served in Zamfara(learning d lang(hausa) was 4 ''survival".
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2012
When I think about it now, I never really "learn" my language, and i didn't even "learn" english either. The two language just came naturally to me. undecided
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by meyri: 2:49am On Aug 12, 2012
It was spoken at home. So my siblings and I had no choice but to learn it . leaned english from tv and school.
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by ifyalways(f): 8:21am On Aug 12, 2012
My family. Grew up in a huge family where all tribes are well represented courtsey of marriage.
Re: How Did You Learn Your Language? by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 13, 2012
at home and school

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eyonu Agba Toma Nmu Owo Waa / Yoruba In Anioma - A Revealed Truth! / Death Of Fulani And Fulfulde Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.