Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,733 members, 7,806,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Black African Tribe In India? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black African Tribe In India? (6941 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black African Tribe In India? by esere826: 7:18am On Jul 28, 2012
I was astonished to find out that there is a black African tribe in India. They are called the Seddis

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJFiut0s-ys

Also in wikipidia Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddi

The first Siddis are thought to have arrived in the Indian subcontinent in 628 AD at the Bharuch port. Several others followed with the first Arab Islamic invasions of the subcontinent in 712 AD.[15] The latter group are believed to have been soldiers with Muhammad bin Qasim's Arab army, and were called Zanjis.

Most Siddis, however, are believed to be the descendants of slaves, sailors, servants and merchants from East Africa who arrived and became resident in the subcontinent during the 1200-1900 AD period.[16] A large influx of Siddis to the region occurred in the 17th century when Portuguese slave traders sold a number of them to local princes.[2]

Flag of the Siddis from Murud-Janjira an important vassal of the Mughal Empire.In Western India (the modern Indian states of Gujarat and Maharashtra), the Siddi gained a reputation for physical strength and loyalty, and were sought out as mercenaries by local rulers, and as domestic servants and farm labor.[2] Some Siddis escaped slavery to establish communities in forested areas, and some even established small Siddi principalities on Janjira Island and at Jaffrabad as early as the twelfth century. A former alternative name of Janjira was Habshan (i.e., land of the Habshis). In the Delhi Sultanate period prior to the rise of the Mughals in India, Jamal-ud-Din Yaqut was a prominent Siddi slave-turned-nobleman who was a close confidant of Razia Sultana (1205–1240 CE). Although this is disputed, he may also have been her lover.[17]

As a power centre, Siddis were sometimes allied with the Mughal Empire in its power-struggle with the Maratha Confederacy.[2] However, Malik Ambar, a prominent Siddi figure in Indian history at large, is sometimes regarded as the "military guru of the Marathas", and was deeply allied with them.[18] He established the town of Khirki which later became the modern city of Aurangabad, and helped establish the Marathas as a major force in the Deccan. Later, the Marathas adapted Siddi guerrilla warfare tactics to grow their power and ultimately demolish the Mughal empire.[18] Some accounts describe the Mughal emperor Jahangir as obsessed by Ambar due to the Mughal empire's consistent failures in crushing him and his Maratha cavalry, describing him derogatorily as "the black faced" and "the ill-starred" in the royal chronicles and even having a painting commissioned that showed Jahangir killing Ambar, a fantasy which was never realised in reality.[19]

Some Indian Siddis are descended from Tanzanians and Mozambicans brought by the Portuguese. While most enslaved African people became Muslim and a small minority became Christian, very few became Hindu since they could not find themselves a position in the traditional Hindu caste hierarchy.[20]
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:39pm On Jul 28, 2012
yes they are very famous there. Some of them are even ex-nawabs (kings) today and have there palaces. they are Bantu descendants mainly.

check out there dance. i find it funny though.. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayfegTykxaY
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by anonymous6(f): 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2012
Interesting, I am sorry a place like India that takes skin color to the extreme, that will be the worst place to live, it is sad
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:44pm On Jul 28, 2012
anonymous6: Interesting, I am sorry a place like India that takes skin color to the extreme, that will be the worst place to live, it is sad

i heard mostly North Indians are rascist. the SOuth and Central India is very passive and non-rascist, including the upper-caste and tribes, mainly due to the heavy indigenous Dravidian influence. .
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by anonymous6(f): 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i heard mostly North Indians are rascist. the SOuth and Central India is very passive and non-rascist, including the upper-caste and tribes, mainly due to the heavy indigenous Dravidian influence. .

interesting, aren't the northern Indians the light skinned ones, even some who are up North are mixed with European blood I heard
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:57pm On Jul 28, 2012
anonymous6:

interesting, aren't the northern Indians the light skinned ones, even some who are up North are mixed with European blood I heard

in general the North Indians are light skinned due to the influx of different Aryan, Indo_Scythian and Central Asian tribes. the ones mixed with europeans are called Anglo-Indians and are mainly christians and reside in parts of West ad North India. they are an insignificant minority

However there are many light-skinned tribes annd castes in the South as well. However majority of the ooriginal Indigenous (original/pre-invasin) tribes of India reside in Central India where they had powerful Kingdoms and in South India.

there are also many mixed-race Indians who dont have any tribe. they are majority, i s'pose (around 50%). however my percentage might be slightly wrong.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by esere826: 6:06am On Jul 29, 2012
anonymous6: Interesting, I am sorry a place like India that takes skin color to the extreme, that will be the worst place to live, it is sad

Exactly my toughts the first time that I heard this. I understand that the Indian culture somehow institutionalizes racism through the caste system. The lighter caste being the princes, and the darker ones forever doomed to perpetual servitude

This would mean that the black tribes there, are forever doomed to poverty as long as they remain in India
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by esere826: 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

in general the North Indians are light skinned due to the influx of different Aryan, Indo_Scythian and Central Asian tribes. the ones mixed with europeans are called Anglo-Indians and are mainly christians and reside in parts of West ad North India. they are an insignificant minority

However there are many light-skinned tribes annd castes in the South as well. However majority of the ooriginal Indigenous (original/pre-invasin) tribes of India reside in Central India where they had powerful Kingdoms and in South India.

there are also many mixed-race Indians who dont have any tribe . they are majority, i s'pose (around 50%). however my percentage might be slightly wrong.

Please, can you throw more light on the bolded? Somehow, I am not able to wrap my head around it
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
esere826:

Please, can you throw more light on the bolded? Somehow, I am not able to wrap my head around it

you see, not all tribespeople have castes and not all caste-people have tribes. tribe = bloodline (e.g., Yoruba, Zulu or in the case of Indians : Bhils, Gonds, Jats, Gurjars, Mizos, etc.) ---- THIS is important.

now not all caste people have tribes because caste is just occupation/ hereditary jobs. (e.g. Brahmin (priest - though usually of Aryan stock), Kshatriya (warrior), Vaishya (Farmer, merchant, etc) & Shudra (cleaners, artisans, carpentars, etc.). and later on, a fifth caste of untouchable was added.

now some tribes (usually of foreign invading stock), like the Gurjar tribespeople also had a caste (Vaishya/cowherders). the Jats had the caste of Kshatriya/Vaishay (not sure). Tribes such as the Nairs/Bunt/Buntavaru's of Indo-Scythian/Saka stock, had the caste of Kshatriya/ warrior.

some tribes refused outrightly to accept civilisation and enter the caste system. These were usually the indigenous tribes, also known as Adivasis (half-citizens/forest dwellers). E.g. The Bhils, The Santhals, The Gonds, The Koragas, and thousands of other such tribes. .

those people that only have castes and no tribes, are usually of mixed descent. they dont really have a unique/diffferent cultural tradition, way of life, music, dance, religious beliefs or raccial characteristics. they follow general Indian stereotypical customs. they only have castes/occupations. E.g., the Lingayats / Shaivites (religio-based communities), Gowdas (landlord & farmer caste), Baniya (money-lender caste, etc.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^such above people are mainly of mixed heritage. and today with the anti-caste sentiment in India, they are the ones who are the first to go ahead and intermarry with other castes. unfortunately, this is affecting the people of tribal heritage as well, because the term caste and tribe has a ttimes becomes so confused. However, people of tribal heritage still maintain a unique sense of independence from the rest of the Indians and strive to preserve themselves.

and the last category of mixed-race Indians including 95% of the muslims, almost all the christians, except recent tribal converts who converted due to bribes given by the church and in North-Eastern INdia, due to forced conversion. then come the anglo-Indians of hybrid european and native stock.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 30, 2012
anonymous6:

yes.

@topic i watched a documentary about them years back.
interesting indeed. smiley
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 30, 2012

exactly.

im just glad the Indians in the Caribbean have assimilated. cheesy grin tongue
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 5:33am On Jul 30, 2012
A former alternative name of Janjira was Habshan (i.e., land of the Habshis).

is that from habasha [ie the ethiopian term]
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 5:34am On Jul 30, 2012
there are also many mixed-race Indians who dont have any tribe . they are majority, i s'pose (around 50%). however my percentage might be slightly wrong.

i think in india, caste = tribe or vice versa though i could be wrong.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:34am On Jul 30, 2012
tpia@:

is that from habasha [ie the ethiopian term]

yes. one of the moghul officer, malik ambar (or something like that) was from Habasha.

tpia@:

i think in india, caste = tribe or vice versa though i could be wrong.

yes you are wrong.

caste = "varna" = occupation

tribe = "jati" = Birth/Tribe
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by esere826: 5:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
@Pagan 9ja

Thanks for throwing more light on this
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 5:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes. one of the moghul officer, malik ambar (or something like that) was from Habasha.

yes you are wrong.

caste = "varna" = occupation

tribe = "jati" = Birth/Tribe

i meant they view caste the same way africans view tribes. Except theirs might be more intense.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by anonymous6(f): 5:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
tpia@:

i meant they view caste the same way africans view tribes. Except theirs might be more intense.

yup true
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:00pm On Jul 30, 2012
This is really interesting, Very sad that things like this aren't taught in schools.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
why would it be taught in schools?
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
wOW, HOW COME i've never read or heard about this?

The black race has suffered. Look at how they want to keep our population and geographical placements hidden. undecided embarassed

LOL @ racist India. Why would anyone want to live in india for real. . . . no, for real!! Why?
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
tpia@:
why would it be taught in schools?

It should be taught in those African studies or anthropology classes.

Why? For exposure.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

It should be taught in those African studies or anthropology classes.

Why? For exposure.
Thank u jare.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 6:13pm On Jul 30, 2012
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
Blacks in American are being studied.

Blacks in Brazil are being studied.

Blacks in Cuba are being studied.

So why should blacks in India be left out? If they're indeed of Bantu origin. . . .

Population size is irrelevant in this case.

1 Like

Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
being studied where?
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
tpia@:
being studied where?

In the classroom.

By Ethnographers.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by kengis: 6:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
slaves from east africa ? ok now I understand why those indian men look like females
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 6:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 6:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

In the classroom.

By Ethnographers.

yes, they can add blacks in india i suppose.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by tpia5: 6:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
tpia@:

yes later on, in ancient times, the chief high priest. Sage Manu dicateted the caste laws in his book, which made castes (occupations) hereditary and as a result formed tribe-like groups or communities. however those who already had proper tribes continued with their tribal laws more than the caste laws. it is to be noticed that many a times, entire tribes were denoted the same caste due to similar physical stature, mental abilities and skills among tribe members.

esere826: @Pagan 9ja

Thanks for throwing more light on this

you are welcome.

kengis: slaves from east africa ? ok now I understand why those indian men look like females

lol why is that? grin

tpia@:

https://www.nairaland.com/68677/ancient-black-buddha

now that is going too far. Hinduism does not permit slavery, no matter how brrutal the caste system, the workers, untouchables, etc., were still paid. Ancient Hindu Kings never brought slaves or enslaved populations, so a "black buddha" is out of the question. also owing to the fact that Prince SIddhartha Gautama Buddha was from The ancient republican Licchavi Tribal Confederacy and of Aryan stock.

it was only in the past 500-800 years during muslim rule, that they brought slaves from Africa.
Re: Black African Tribe In India? by esere826: 9:35am On Jul 31, 2012
I agree with Tolaaaaanni and Ileke_idi

that blacks in different geographical locations should be studied especially by blacks in schools. I think it would help us better strenghten our identity and sense of collective defense against ravishing cultures that seek to dominate and degrade us.

I mean, from my experience and what Ive read about many cultures, there is this strong tendency by people to hate and derograte groups of people with darker skins (The only exception is what the blacks do to albinos -at least in West Africa).

Don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it should be like what our society teaches girls as they get into puberty -to be wary of guys who come in all forms and shapes with intentions to screw and dump them while professing love.

Me thinks that if our African kids are made to understand through the study of relevant history that they can easilly be hated. They would be more prepared for the global world. Look at the Jewish state Israel, and how they have been able to turn such persections against them around, to a thing of advantage where even American presidents and nominees scramble overthemselves to show the world that they are ready to come to their defence

(1) (2) (Reply)

Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered. / That's A Nigerian? How Can You Tell? / The Timbuktu Manuscripts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.