Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things (21750 Views)

The Simple Phones Billionaire Femi Otedola Uses (photo) / Photo: See The Lagos Taxi Driver That Uses POS / Meet The Woman Who Uses Her Big B00bs To Make Millions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
Meet Sheidatu Abubakar who, though born without hands, uses her legs to eat, write, and even do henna decoration for ladies.
From a distance, Sheidatu Abubakar looks like most of her peers in school uniform. The hijab she wears conceals the fact that the SS1 student has no hands, unlike her school mates. But meeting the humorous teenager, you get the feeling that what she lacked in hands, she more than made up through the maximum utilisation of her legs, and this makes her the most popular girl in her hometown of Lapai, Niger State.

Born 16 years ago without hands, Sheda, as she is fondly called among her peers, has refused to allow her physical challenges to stand in the way of her dreams. And determined to realise her potentials to the fullest, Sheda is not only going to school but is competing favorably in the classroom with her normal classmates, particularly in design and drawing.

“I use one of my legs to draw and design to specification. I have been using my toes to give women beautiful henna designs during marriage or naming ceremonies. And I do this (henna decoration) in about an hour or so depending on what the clients asked for,” she told Weekly Trust in Lapai, adding that “Nobody thought me how to make such designs.”

She said there are instances where she collects money for the service rendered. If I were to be paid, I collect N 50 per hand and leg, so the payment for complete service is N 200 per person. And I can do four in a day.”

Indeed, Sheida has been using her toes to do so many other things including writing in class, eating and washing clothes, as well as helping her younger ones to loosen their hair for plaiting. She, however admitted that she cannot plait as she would have loved to.

Speaking on her future plans, Sheida said she nurses the ambition of going to as far as university to study. “I started school after the age of six unlike most of my mates, but I will want to study Fine Art one day in the university,” she said.

No stigmatisation

Sheida told Weekly Trust that she has never experienced any form of stigmatization either from her mates in the school or from the people in her community. Rather, she noted, most of them adore me. “The physical challenge I have may be seen as a curse by some, but to me it is a blessing. Because of my nature, I have near unrestricted access to the Emir of Lapai. I have his direct line and can also call him.”

She said her only constraint in life is that her parents are financially weak. “But still if given the necessary support, the sky would be my limit in ensuring she that has acquired higher education,” she said, and appealed to the government and well spirited individuals to come to her aid toward realizing her dream.

“I hope to one day secure employment after my studies, so that I can buy a car for my father who has been toiling to take me to school on his old motorcycle, especially in this raining season.”

Going down memory lane, Malam Abubakar R. Daji, a staff of Lapai Local Government Council, said he still recalls the day (Friday, September 23, 1996) Sheida was born. “When my wife gave birth, the nurse attending to her came out in rude shock, saying ‘Inna lillahi Wa’inna ilaihi Rajiun’ (meaning ‘we belong to Allah and to Him we shall return’). She kept on reciting without saying anything to anybody.

“After calming down, she told me that the baby came out without both hands. Meanwhile, my wife, who was in the labour room, panicked thinking she had a still birth. I, therefore, quickly went to and told my wife, and calmed her by letting her know whatever comes from God be it good or bad we must accept in good faith. She understood.”

According him, shortly after the news hit the town, their house turned into a Mecca of sort as people trooped to see the baby. He said he would never forget the words of the former chairman of Lapai LG Umaru Sidi. He told me that a person that was born in similar circumstances in their community is not only alive today. but is one of the most influential people in the area.

He said he once wrote the Niger State government about six years ago seeking for assistance, but only a wheelchair was given to them. “I said to myself, a person without a limb cannot use a wheelchair, therefore we handed it over to someone to whom it would be useful.”

The father of the girl said initially they were not keen on sending the little girl to school until she started exhibiting her God-given talent. “When we saw her potentials, we enrolled her at a private school. But after sometimes, we had to withdraw her because even Sheida believed the school was expensive. Fortunately for us she is still doing pretty well in school.”

Sheida’s mother, Fatima Umar, said she is not finding it difficult to cater for her daughter. “Sheida, like other children, crawled before she started walking. But when she started crawling, instead of moving on hands and knees, she would be twisting her body while on ground.

Malama Fatima said the day she would never forget was the day she kept Sheida and her food on one side and rushed to get a stool, “but to my surprise on coming back I found Sheida feeding herself by using her toes to hold the spoon.

She further revealed that her daughter wears and removes her clothes without any difficulty, particularly her uniform as she always accused her younger ones of not washing it as it should be.

According to her, the little girl was still crawling when her mother gave birth to her younger brother. But when he started walking, she took that as a challenge and started learning how to walk.

Sheida, as a girl, is very active at the home front as she actively participates in the house chores, particularly kitchen activities. Her mother said Sheida cooks her favourite meal of pasta by herself, even though she requires some assistance like arranging of firewood and lighting the fire.

“It is my prayer that Sheida will one day realise her dreams in life,” Malama Fatima said.

http:///BIhmA

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 28, 2012
I use one of my legs to draw and design to specification. I have been using my toes to give women beautiful henna designs during marriage or naming ceremonies. And I do this (henna decoration) in about an hour or so depending on what the clients asked for,” she told Weekly Trust in Lapai, adding that “Nobody thought me how to make such designs.”

Necessity knows no law, no limit, no hindrance. Go girl, the world is yours!

7 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by 10over101: 8:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
Eeeeyah!!May God help her.. Nice topic, but the story was just too much..a summary would have been better..

1 Like

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by digitite: 8:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
The human mind is a very powerful instrument. Put it to good use and it will do amazing things.

Girl. You are an inspiration.

8 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by PhysicsQED(m): 8:51pm On Jul 28, 2012
Wow.
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ok-
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by BabaEleko(m): 8:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
Allahu Akbar!!!

2 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
Law of use n disuse!
More reasons why we shld use our brains more than d PINGING Tinz.
She actually is an heroine, an industrious girl. Pushes against all odds. Thumbs up...

4 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by tonyx4x44(m): 9:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
digitite: The human mind is a very powerful instrument. Put it to good use and it will do amazing things.

Girl. You are an inspiration.
wow
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by okparadamian(f): 9:02pm On Jul 28, 2012
God u ar too mush,nne carry go
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Crosbyy(f): 9:02pm On Jul 28, 2012
Notin is imposible,u wil achiev ur aims in jesus name amen
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by ifihearam: 9:04pm On Jul 28, 2012
Na wa ooo
But how she dey take eat??
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by alaoeri: 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2012
Watch a documentary similar to this on a local TV station wayback 1996 but its a man born without hands. He can even ride a bicycle, fry egg etc.
Anyway giving thanks to God.
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Dawdy(m): 9:10pm On Jul 28, 2012
Allahu Akbar!

2 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Temismith(f): 9:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
Theres an ability in every disability...
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by yommy2sure(m): 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2012
Only the mind can limit anyone, defeat emanates from the mind. Indeed nothing is impossible...until you think so! Go and achieve more!
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
No one has an excuse to fail. I almost started shedding tears when i saw this story. She`s more than an inspiration for me. And the joy on her face is just unbelievableundecided

4 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by ULSHERLAN(m): 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
If she can do things then a complete human has no excuse
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by DonTundex(m): 9:14pm On Jul 28, 2012
Incredible!
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Rgp92: 9:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
Obatala protects everyone. incredible indeed!
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2012
Rgp92: Obatala protects everyone. incredible indeed!

grin grin grin
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Larrylarex(m): 9:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
alaoeri: Watch a documentary similar to this on a local TV station wayback 1996 but its a man born without hands. He can even ride a bicycle, fry egg etc.
Anyway giving thanks to God.
I remembered vividly as well. The man even used his toes to hold knife and slice onions... So amazing! God is great, made me remember a Yoruba maxim:'eni ba pa l'ori a fi'run'gbon di' meanin he who is bald will be compensated with beard
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by OgidiOlu3(m): 9:23pm On Jul 28, 2012
Amazing! When the Lord closes the door, somewhere he opens the window.

3 Likes

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Soundmind(m): 9:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
This is interesting
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by phreakabit(m): 9:28pm On Jul 28, 2012
She epitomizes the saying : Always look on the bright side of life. . . .#Inspirational

BTW indigenes of the North need to seriously consider getting immunized. Can't keep on putting their kids through this.

1 Like

Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by trigar12(m): 9:41pm On Jul 28, 2012
wow!!! So inspiring
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by chucky234(m): 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2012
Amazing
Remind me of John the God Oracle who does everything including cooking with his legs in the US.
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by Bzoe(f): 9:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
pls i which to know her.who can help
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by luvola(m): 9:46pm On Jul 28, 2012
Amazing wonders
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by teevibez(m): 10:00pm On Jul 28, 2012
Hmmmm, pretty amazing.
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by legendsilver(m): 10:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
she is beautiful, pls is she married? Cus gals 4rm d north ar always accustom 2 a man at dia tender age.
Re: Born Without Hands But Uses Her Legs To Do Amazing Things by omorsexie(f): 10:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
Go gurl! D sky is ur starting point

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dollar Scarcity Stops Capital Repatriation By Investors / Where To Buy Green Coffee Bean Extract In Nigeria / Clampdown: Currency Traders Petition IGP, To Write Senate, CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.