Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,700 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test (37926 Views)

Job Vacancy At Job Link Recruitment Agency Ikeja. / How To Answer “why Are You Interested In This Position?” At Job Interviews / How Do I Boost My Self-Confidence At Job Interviews? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2012
It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.
The whole vacant positions were for B.Sc Holders in different fields like Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, Geology and so many others.

A total of 67 people were present for the test and believe it or not, only 3 people actually knew the difference between the below words.

Thought - Taught
Mood - Mode
Sight - Site
Course - Curse
Suit - Suite
Fill - Feel
Hear - Ear
Browse - Surf
Rain - Reign

More than Half of them kept on typing in short forms thinking they were chatting with their Blackberry or Facebook friends.

How bad will things like this keep happening amongst our so called educated youths and graduates especially?

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Lebee4(m): 1:01am On Jul 29, 2012
funny somehow.
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 5:27am On Jul 29, 2012
Lebee4: funny somehow.
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.

Somehoe funny but it is the truth.
I will rather employ a candidate who wrot in pidgin than the one who wrote in short text. You know why? The short text is a sign of total unseriousness.

6 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 29, 2012
OMG! shocked
I`d rather employ a young school leaver. A university degree these days does not guarantee qualities like intelligence and resoursfulness.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by maclatunji: 5:45am On Jul 29, 2012
Front page kind of thread. I don't doubt you OP. People just want certificates that they cannot defend.

I wonder how many graduates can actually spell "certificate".

Somebody here talked about "Pigeon" and "English". #GoodLord!

11 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by joe4christ(m): 6:15am On Jul 29, 2012
acidtalk: It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.
The whole vacant positions were for B.Sc Holders in different fields like Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, Geology and so many others.

A total of 67 people were present for the test and believe it or not, only 3 people actually knew the difference between the below words.

Thought - Taught
Mood - Mode
Sight - Site
Course - Curse
Suit - Suite
Fill - Feel
Hear - Ear
Browse - Surf
Rain - Reign

More than Half of them kept on typing in short forms thinking they were chatting with their Blackberry or Facebook friends.

How bad will things like this keep happening amongst our so called educated youths and graduates especially?

Chineke me! I guess this should make it's way to the front page. Asap!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 6:17am On Jul 29, 2012
maclatunji: Front page kind of thread. I don't doubt you OP. People just want certificates that they cannot defend.

I wonder how many graduates can actually spell "certificate".

Somebody here talked about "Pigeon" and "English". #GoodLord!

*laugh make me go stand for DANA Air counter wan buy ticket*

Was discussing with a very young friend who is in his final year in the university and I told him to spell amnesty. The dude spelt it "Ammestie" and still wanted to argue with me.

8 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Turbocharged: 6:33am On Jul 29, 2012
Those applicants be MUMU, they for sort you wella. Afterall, na sorting they take pass FSLC, SSCE, JAMB, + Degree.

3 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 6:41am On Jul 29, 2012
Turbocharged: Those applicants be MUMU, they for sort you wella. Afterall, na sorting they take pass FSLC, SSCE, JAMB, + Degree.
For where?
Make dem go ruin the poor boy papa company.
Funny enough about 30% had between the 2:1 and first class. So I can relatively understand the "sorting" Lecturer thing now.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by ITbomb(m): 8:04am On Jul 29, 2012
acidtalk: It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.

Tell your friend to invite me for an interview and see the difference if he is really looking for a good Nigerian University Engineering product

11 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yommy2sure(m): 8:16am On Jul 29, 2012
Lebee4: funny somehow.
maybe we should try 'parrot' english as pigeon nor good. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

6 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yommy2sure(m): 8:18am On Jul 29, 2012
ITbomb:
Tell your friend to invite me for an interview and see the difference if he is really looking for a good Nigerian University Engineering product
at: ultafuto@[:::]yahoo.co.uk
without the brackets

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by akinmusi(m): 10:10am On Jul 29, 2012
Why are some of you all acting like you know or fare better?

Deep down within, you know your weakness.

I can say thanks to this thread, some of you can now ask yourself questions like, "na true o, I no sabi these things o".So, the best you think you can do now is opt at this opportunity to jeer at those applicants.

@op, Yes, all these things you observed and the findings are true. God will help us. But we must make deliberate effort to help our falling educational standard.

@Everyone, Pls I mean no disrespect. Lets be conscious of how we use short forms. It's important. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 10:40am On Jul 29, 2012
^^^
Thanks!
It is really disheartening the way the short text has actually made people a bomb shell in written english.

Primary and Secondary school students now find it a crime speaking proper english. All you hear from them is pidgin english both within and outside the school premises.

Our government, parents, teachers and even the students themselves have all failed this generation.

5 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 29, 2012
Are there still openings at your friend's firm, since most of the applicants failed. What's the pay like? I'm sure there are better qualified job-seekers on NAIRALAND.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by chemashie(m): 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2012
Let us know if the positions are still vacant. I hope the coy is within lagos?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by uberchic: 1:33pm On Jul 29, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.

Thought - Taught
Mood - Mode
Sight - Site
Course - Curse
Suit - Suite
Fill - Feel
Hear - Ear
Browse - Surf
Rain - Reign

[/quote

Many graduates still speak and write good english. The issue is that you just have to get your priorities right. You just have to know when and when not to use shorthand. Just because one speaks Pidgin English doesn't mean one should not be able to speak proper English when the need arises. Your friend should consider inviting applicants like me to write a test to show that some of us can still express ourselves.

4 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2012
1supremo: Are there still openings at your friend's firm, since most of the applicants failed. What's the pay like? I'm sure there are better qualified job-seekers on NAIRALAND.

Some of the Applicants are from this same nairaland.
He said he posted the vancacies here and people ackwoledged the fact they saw it in this forum.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by sneak3(m): 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2012
@poster pls let ur frnd conduct anoda test since majority of them failed the initial one.
Olusegun.eraiyetan@yahoo.com. We go redeem the image of Nigerian graduates
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by SamAfrik(m): 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
Maybe they hired somebody to write WAEC & JAMB. Now its catching up with them.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 3:56pm On Jul 29, 2012
SamAfrik: Maybe they hired somebody to write WAEC & JAMB. Now its catching up with them.

sounds funny but not far from the truth.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by adevicks(m): 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
Bt these categories of graduates are the ones currently getting the plum positions in most of our parastatals. Come over to Abuja here, many heads of department cannot write a memo in simple and correct English. Worse still, some cannot even write it at all. Yet these are the crops of people implementing our annual budget and taking decisions about this nation. Smh for Nigeria's future!

3 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Otutu1(m): 7:58pm On Jul 29, 2012
U no go blame them some go don dey house for years after graduatin nd maybe forgot their simple English, but them dumb sha grin
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 9:07pm On Jul 29, 2012
adevicks: Bt these categories of graduates are the ones currently getting the plum positions in most of our parastatals. Come over to Abuja here, many heads of department cannot write a memo in simple and correct English. Worse still, some cannot even write it at all. Yet these are the crops of people implementing our annual budget and taking decisions about this nation. Smh for Nigeria's future!

That's why the country is in such a pathetic state.

3 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by philip0906(m): 9:39pm On Jul 29, 2012
oh yeah and d bashing begins. . .because 64 "graduates" could not differentiate between words,Nigerian Graduates(who are in their millions) are unqualified 2 hold certificates. . .sick mentality

9 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
buhahahaha...Thats the world we are living in...many want white collar jobs,but only few deserve it
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 29, 2012
I bet most people here will fail half of those if tested..
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by alexola20(m): 9:47pm On Jul 29, 2012
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by pyyxxaro: 9:51pm On Jul 29, 2012
The DEVIL is a liar !
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 29, 2012
I disagree with the OP on this matter. I used to live with a very clever P.H.D student, who was dyslexic. He is white European, and at the time was working on viruses and how they mutate.

He struggles to read, yet he got his P.H.D at just 27. Now, he is working for a Pharmaceutical firm in America.

I'm sure if the OP had given him that 'primary school' test, he might as well struggled, but should that kind of test be a prerequisite for a Job in Geology, Engineering, e.t.c?

There are many great minds that struggle with words and numbers, but should those basic and simple questions define their intellectual ability to do certain jobs?

I thINK NOT.

43 Likes

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by ebamma(m): 9:59pm On Jul 29, 2012
even english professors spell some words wrongly not to talk of bsc holders,the poster should not behave like i t k (i too know), even him can fumble when under pressure like those guys.

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2012
If I'm in a position to interview candidates, creativity and problem-solving skills would be what I will be looking for, rather than their ability to spell.

Problem-solving skills make businesses thrive, creativity takes businesses to the next level.

Checking candidates' mastery of words is sometimes irrelevant in businesses and companies.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lagos Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2012 / World Bank Is Currently Recruiting Young Nigerians (see Link And Apply) / My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.