Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash (15281 Views)

Tension In Ondo Community Over Pipeline Attacks-the Nation / Ombatse Traditionalists: Police Killed Our Members So We Killed 95 Of Them / 33 Feared Dead In Ogun As Coaster Bus Plunges Into River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by asha80(m): 7:58am On Jul 29, 2012
Tension in Ogun as Muslims, traditionalists clash
On July 29, 2012 · In News
12:45 am

By Daud Olatunji, Abeokuta

There was palpable tension in Ikenne,Ogun State, yesterday, when the Oro cult imposed a 24-hour restriction of movement in the town in defiance of an order by Ogun State government.

The flagrant defiance occurred few hours after some Islamic leaders in the town were attacked by Oro cultists for reporting them to government over the planned restriction of movement.

Muslims in the area had petitioned the state government and other stakeholders in the state which led to a peace meeting held on Wednesday at the instance of the state governent.

At the end of the meeting, government ordered the Oro cult group in Ikenne to restrict their activities of their on-going annual festival to their own section of the town.

It further ordered the deployment of policemen in the town to enforce the order,but, when Sunday Vanguard visited the town yesterday, neither policemen nor any other security operatives were seen.

The whole town was deserted as doors and windows of houses in the town were firmly shut.
There was also no human and vehicular movement in the town except the adherents of the Oro cult group that were seen in some parts of the town dressed like females.

By tradition,it is forbiden for women to behold the Oro cult members while on procession.

It was gathered that several residents of the town who did not want to be caught up in the no-movement order imposed by the Oro cult group left the town on Friday for neighbouring communities.

In his reaction, the Chairman of Ikenne local government, Mr Tajudeen Salako, said the action of the group should not be seen as a defiance of the state government order.

He however appealed to the people of Ikenne to endure the restriction imposed by the Oro cult in the town.

When asked to comment on the attack on Muslims, Salako said he was aware that Oro cultists threatened Muslims, adding that it had been reported to the police.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun State, Muyiwa Adejobi, however, said that the police were monitoring the situation in the town.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/tension-in-ogun-as-muslims-traditionalists-clash/
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:20am On Jul 29, 2012
good. this is our country and we can do what we want. cool
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by CHouse: 10:01am On Jul 29, 2012
But seriously why is it always the muslims vs adherents of other faith. From d recent embarassing Oloolu saga in which i was highly disappointetd in my yoruba brothers inaction on the situation to Anambra mosque demolition to the apparent cleansing of the Christians up-north. Cant y'all just live and let others live Why must it always be violence, tension, enmity wherever you people are. Places where relative peace can be found are regions where other faiths have been subjugated or totally wiped out yet you clamour for religious freedom and equity in places where you are the minority. It's a shame my yoruba people are losing it in the aspect of the protection of their cultural and religious heritage. We risk to have the destruction of important cultural sites as being experienced in mali replicate itself in Southwest Nigeria if the excesses on the part of these islamists isn't curbed on time.

6 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by ODB1: 10:10am On Jul 29, 2012
asha 80: Tension in Ogun as Muslims, traditionalists clash

There was palpable tension in Ikenne,Ogun State, yesterday, when the Oro cult imposed a 24-hour restriction of movement in the town in defiance of an order by Ogun State government.

The flagrant defiance occurred few hours after some Islamic leaders in the town were attacked by Oro cultists for reporting them to government over the planned restriction of movement.

Muslims in the area had petitioned the state government and other stakeholders in the state which led to a peace meeting held on Wednesday at the instance of the state governent.

At the end of the meeting, government ordered the Oro cult group in Ikenne to restrict their activities of their on-going annual festival to their own section of the town.

It further ordered the deployment of policemen in the town to enforce the order,but, when Sunday Vanguard visited the town yesterday, neither policemen nor any other security operatives were seen.

The whole town was deserted as doors and windows of houses in the town were firmly shut.
There was also no human and vehicular movement in the town except the adherents of the Oro cult group that were seen in some parts of the town dressed like females.

By tradition,it is forbiden for women to behold the Oro cult members while on procession.

It was gathered that several residents of the town who did not want to be caught up in the no-movement order imposed by the Oro cult group left the town on Friday for neighbouring communities.

In his reaction, the Chairman of Ikenne local government, Mr Tajudeen Salako, said the action of the group should not be seen as a defiance of the state government order.

He however appealed to the people of Ikenne to endure the restriction imposed by the Oro cult in the town.

When asked to comment on the attack on Muslims, Salako said he was aware that Oro cultists threatened Muslims, adding that it had been reported to the police.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun State, Muyiwa Adejobi, however, said that the police were monitoring the situation in the town.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/tension-in-ogun-as-muslims-traditionalists-clash/

Just like their Hausa masters, senseless nonsense.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by ODB1: 10:10am On Jul 29, 2012
asha 80: Tension in Ogun as Muslims, traditionalists clash

Just like their Hausa masters, senseless nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by lafuria1(m): 10:16am On Jul 29, 2012
CHouse: But seriously why is it always the muslims vs adherents of other faith. From d recent embarassing Oloolu saga in which i was highly disappointetd in my yoruba brothers inaction on the situation to Anambra mosque demolition to the apparent cleansing of the Christians up-north. Cant y'all just live and let others live Why must it always be violence, tension, enmity wherever you people are. Places where relative peace can be found are regions where other faiths have been subjugated or totally wiped out yet you clamour for religious freedom and equity in places where you are the minority. It's a shame my yoruba people are losing it in the aspect of the protection of their cultural and religious heritage. We risk to have the destruction of important cultural sites as being experienced in mali replicate itself in Southwest Nigeria if the excesses on the part of these islamists isn't curbed on time.
am 100percent sure u didnt read the post before commenting. D headline is a bit misleading. Who attacked who? D muslims were attacked by d cultist 4 defyin dia non movement order. This ramadan, d muslims hv to move out. D muslims reported d case to govt. D tension here is if d cultist guys isnt on non movement, they might cause prblm btw dem and muslim who hv d right to move durin this ramadan.

17 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by damoobaba: 10:22am On Jul 29, 2012
U would stop reading and seeing rubbish in this country,evrytin tire me sef.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Novice1(m): 10:23am On Jul 29, 2012
Who the heck are these cult guys to place a no movement order on people? Do we have two govts? Imagine the uproar if it were Muslims telling other people not to move.

14 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 29, 2012
let them kill themselves jawe, mtcheeeew. *yawning*

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Ramcie(f): 10:29am On Jul 29, 2012
Seems reading is so difficult for some people. They won't read the post all they do is spew rubbish from their keyboards all because Muslims are mentioned.#smh . And they claim they are educated . It breaks my heart to see such . If you can't read get someone who can to read for u.

13 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by lacasa: 10:30am On Jul 29, 2012
la furia:
am 100percent sure u didnt read the post before commenting. D headline is a bit misleading. Who attacked who? D muslims were attacked by d cultist 4 defyin dia non movement order. This ramadan, d muslims hv to move out. D muslims reported d case to govt. D tension here is if d cultist guys isnt on non movement, they might cause prblm btw dem and muslim who hv d right to move durin this ramadan.

Dnt mind d foolishness of dat comment

Its a wonder Ђδω some people can comment without reading the post 1st

8 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by brownlord: 10:30am On Jul 29, 2012
Novice1: Who the heck are these cult guys to place a no movement order on people? Do we have two govts? Imagine the uproar if it were Muslims telling other people not to move.

Are muslims the only religion/people in the town, are you not suppose to be ashamed of this religion, yesterday they where reported to be fermenting trouble in Anambra, now Ogun, are they not tired, will any Christian try this nonsense in the North? cant you think atall

6 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by alaoeri: 10:33am On Jul 29, 2012
CHouse: But seriously why is it always the muslims vs adherents of other faith. From d recent embarassing Oloolu saga in which i was highly disappointetd in my yoruba brothers inaction on the situation to Anambra mosque demolition to the apparent cleansing of the Christians up-north. Cant y'all just live and let others live Why must it always be violence, tension, enmity wherever you people are. Places where relative peace can be found are regions where other faiths have been subjugated or totally wiped out yet you clamour for religious freedom and equity in places where you are the minority. It's a shame my yoruba people are losing it in the aspect of the protection of their cultural and religious heritage. We risk to have the destruction of important cultural sites as being experienced in mali replicate itself in Southwest Nigeria if the excesses on the part of these islamists isn't curbed on time.
Bro read the report very well don't comment base on hatred, who attack who?

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by mmmustapha(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2012
Oh Allah illiteracy is a disease, u enemies of islam very soon u will knw ur fate, “We
believe in Allah and what is
sent down to us and what
was sent down to Ibrahim,
and Ismael, and Ishaq, and
Yaqub (Jacob) and their
sons, and what came to
Moosa and Eisa and the
Prophets, from their Lord; we
do not make any distinction,
in belief, between any of
them, and to Him we have
submitted ourselves.”And if one
seeks a religion other than
Islam, it will never be
accepted from him; and he is
among the losers in the
Hereafter.

20 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by mujiboy(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2012
Let's call a spade a spade, y will one sect hinder people frm leavin ther homes, its disgustin,all d oro wey dey av bin doin does it beta d country in anyway. Nw even defyin d orders of the state govt. And one stupid nd ignorant fellow will blame d muslims for dis.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by alaoeri: 10:37am On Jul 29, 2012
brownlord:

Are muslims the only religion/people in the town, are you not suppose to be ashamed of this religion, yesterday they where reported to be fermenting trouble in Anambra, now Ogun, are they not tired, will any Christian try this nonsense in the North? cant you think atall
What u don't know is this muslin ain't fo00ls like others, don't oppress & don't allow anybody to oppress u. Standup for right, they are infasting period why 'll some set of ppl not government 'll now restrict them to their house bcuz of one meaningless festival.

9 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by boyendowed(m): 10:39am On Jul 29, 2012
I don't know why some people are attacking Muslims here.You guys should read the article again

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by ypzilanti: 10:41am On Jul 29, 2012
If the festival is of importance and generally accepted in the state, they should make a law allowing for the festival. If there is no law, no citizen has a right to restrict other citizens. Backwardness. Mtcheeeew.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Ashabam(m): 10:45am On Jul 29, 2012
weldo
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Ezeufi: 10:45am On Jul 29, 2012
Its amazing that some nairalanders have somehow managed to incriminate muslims in this case .

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by McNelson(m): 10:46am On Jul 29, 2012
Peace Be Unto This House.........
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by gegee(m): 10:48am On Jul 29, 2012
mmmustapha: Oh Allah illiteracy is a disease, u enemies of islam very soon u will knw ur fate, “We
believe in Allah and what is
sent down to us and what
was sent down to Ibrahim,
and Ismael, and Ishaq, and
Yaqub (Jacob) and their
sons, and what came to
Moosa and Eisa and the
Prophets, from their Lord; we
do not make any distinction,
in belief, between any of
them, and to Him we have
submitted ourselves.”And if one
seeks a religion other than
Islam, it will never be
accepted from him; and he is
among the losers in the
Hereafter.
religion cannot save u my friend.

4 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by alahamad(m): 10:48am On Jul 29, 2012
I think the solution is to report those nitwits to BokoHaram nd let see if their juju can stand the fearless IED gadgets.....for every bad thing, theirs an advantage, now dis is an anvantage of bh....

Useless setanic people....

To the Muslims there....May Allah be with you all....aii

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by buscold(m): 10:51am On Jul 29, 2012
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 29, 2012
Just passing.

7 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Eifeh(m): 10:57am On Jul 29, 2012
Muslim muslim everyday hmm

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Chinom(m): 11:03am On Jul 29, 2012
One question still baffles me. Why are there so many muslims in Yoruba land anyway?. There are just as many mosques in Lagos as there are churches. A certain BH tendencies in SW worries me. I'm just concerned. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 29, 2012
Just passing

6 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Lilspicer(f): 11:04am On Jul 29, 2012
To me no one can stop my movement kuz the tradition(our nija traditions)is nt recognised in the constitution so i went to buy sometin dey saw me and went der way-so people still practise cultism @dis modern age..mtcheww mak dem go clash kobokoharam mak we see who go run
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by kaiter: 11:05am On Jul 29, 2012
It breaks my heart to see such . If you can't read get someone who can to read for u. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:08am On Jul 29, 2012
brownlord:

The first sign of civilization is respect for other people's feelings. Why will a cult group restrict movement of people during Ramadan and the muslims lodge their complains to the govt, and you are talking like this? I'm a xtiain, I beg you to be civilized even for once.

2 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by stevenosa(m): 11:08am On Jul 29, 2012
When you are in the Northern part of this country, called Nigeria, you must do and obey the tradition of the inhabitant of that part. Now, they are here in the South complaining of ORO disturbing their movement. Are they the only people that were affected by the restriction? Those who knows the tradition in that part of the State have all moved to nearby towns, while should a stranger now be the one to go to the government and report. Time is running out my people. The earlier we stand our ground, the better.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oil Marketers To Resume Fuel Importation / You Are 70 Not 60 - Pdp Tells Tinubu / Insecurity: Nigeria At War With Itself, Verge Of A Precipice — Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.