Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (384352 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:05pm On Dec 10, 2012
Exc@libur:
Does anyone here drive a 406 coupe? Every time that car drives past I almost get an 0rg@$m. I'm seriously considering buying it in Jan 2013. Any advice?

Hi,

I don't drive 406 coupe. So i dont know much about it. But i have a friend in Australia who drives one, though V6. He told me oneday that his 406 v6 coupe D8 with ES9J4 consumes fuel more than the saloon 406 v6 D8. And that he believed it was so because the saloon has a better aerodynamics than the coupe. Aside that, he loves his 406 coupe. In fact, he recently swapped in ES9J4S (v6 engine in D9, 407 & 607) in his coupe, since the ES9J4S, though v6, consumes less than the ES9J4, formerly in the car.

But lets hear from house members that drive 406 coupe, since they are in a better position to tell how good or bad the car might be. Probably, the I4 petrol naturally aspirated engine will consume less.

Also, i do know that all 406 coupe body were produced in Pininfarina plant in Italy, then Peugeot now installed the mechanicals in their own plant. But do know that all 406, both saloon & SW, D8 & D9, were designed by Pininfarina. But as for the coupe, the Pininfarina produced the complete body of the car.

I can't think of anyother thing.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:44pm On Dec 10, 2012
I went in search of coolant at a nearby TOTAL filing station and was still told "out of stock".

Anyway, i found something else very interesting. I found in TOTAL station all the TOTAL synthetic based and fully sythetic/fuel economy oil recommended by Peugeot for the EW10, EW12, XU10, HDI & ES9J4S engines. Such as Quartz 9000 0W/40; Quartz 9000 5W/30; Quartz 9000 5W/40; Quartz 7000 15W/50.

Quartz 7000 15W/50, which synthetic based, cost N4,700. While, Quartz 9000 5W/40, a fully synthetic oil, cost 8k (though, 5 litres). I didn't price the rest. But they were there.

The lower the number before "W" (Winter), the easier the engine turns over when starting in cold climates. Then, how cold is our climate?

Studies that i carried out on oil grades showed that 5W-30 oil grade are for cooler climates, while 15W-50 are for hot climates. Its left for you to decide if our climate are cool or cold enough to decide whether to go full synthetic or synthetic based oil. I do know that 0W-40 & 5W-40 are full synthetic, while 15W-50 is synthetic based (but do know that we have 15W-50 that is mineral oil, which will be indicated on the container).

Full synthetic oil like the 5W-40 is a fuel economy oil. You will get the best fuel economy using that oil. Not only that, you gain more engine performance and power, and lubricates faster or quicker during cold start, which prevents friction and wear at cold start, unlike the mineral oil. But if you ask me, i would say the fully synthetic oil are best for engines that havent done miles more than 100k. Am not sure and i cant prove it. But they are very thin oil and would burn faster in an aged engine, unlike the synthetic based and mineral oil. The lower the number before the "W", the thinner the oil.

My point is, almost all the TOTAL oil grades recommended by Peugeot for their listed above engines, are abundantly available in the TOTAL filing stations, scattered all over the country. The grade to use, is your decision to make.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:16pm On Dec 10, 2012
Please, note that it was stated in owners manual that Fuel economy oil or synthetic oil MUST not be used in EW12.

Users of D9, 407 & 607 with the EW12 engine, take note.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Exclibur(m): 12:00pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ikenna thanks oo. The 406 coupe's V6 engine is well known to be a fuel guzzler. It has nothing to do wit the aerodynamics of the car. I will likely be getting a 4l version this coming January. This is one car I know I've fallen in love with.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:27pm On Dec 11, 2012
Exc@libur:
Ikenna thanks oo. The 406 coupe's V6 engine is well known to be a fuel guzzler. It has nothing to do wit the aerodynamics of the car. I will likely be getting a 4l version this coming January. This is one car I know I've fallen in love with.

Ok. But you can as well check out these reviews, below, on 406 coupe, if you haven't done so.

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/406/

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 2:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
I was passing ASD motors at Area 7 this morning, so i decided to peep in. I walked straight to their store and asked them if they have Lexia 3 and how much. They were just staring at me as if i was speaking French. Are they not suppose to understand French sef?! Lol!

Anyway, i was suprised to see brand new 406 & 206 in their show room for sale. Hmm! Thought their productions have stopped. Probably old stock.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 5:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ikenna351: I was passing ASD motors at Area 7 this morning, so i decided to peep in. I walked straight to their store and asked them if they have Lexia 3 and how much. They were just staring at me as if i was speaking French. Are they not suppose to understand French sef?! Lol!

Anyway, i was suprised to see brand new 406 & 206 in their show room for sale. Hmm! Thought their productions have stopped. Probably old stock.

Ikenna.

Lolz.... Its not just in abuja o. Even Autostar in Enugu does not have the full dealer software (according to an insider sha) though I think they have Lexia but not the full dealer version as you can atleast get your car scanned there. This remphasizes the problem I have with Nigeria. Even when you take you Pug to some premium dealerships like ASD or Autostar, you pay exorbitant amounts for sub standard services. So how will ASD diagnose a Pug with the CEL on?? Wish someone as meticulous as Siena would open an Auto workshop in Naija. I'll be his first custome no matter how expensive...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 5:05pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ikenna351: I was passing ASD motors at Area 7 this morning, so i decided to peep in. I walked straight to their store and asked them if they have Lexia 3 and how much. They were just staring at me as if i was speaking French. Are they not suppose to understand French sef?! Lol!

Ikenna.

Lol, lexia 3 is the software for Citroen Models, if they've any idea they'd be more familiar with Peugeot planet 2000 or Diagbox.

Theirs is usually one Big contraption and Peugeot France gives to dealers only.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 5:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
t-die:

Lolz.... Its not just in abuja o. Even Autostar in Enugu does not have the full dealer software (according to an insider sha) though I think they have Lexia but not the full dealer version as you can atleast get your car scanned there. This remphasizes the problem I have with Nigeria. Even when you take you Pug to some premium dealerships like ASD or Autostar, you pay exorbitant amounts for sub standard services. So how will ASD diagnose a Pug with the CEL on?? Wish someone as meticulous as Siena would open an Auto workshop in Naija. I'll be his first custome no matter how expensive...

Same in ph, they always use the handheld version and never seem to fully understand the scan results.

How's your scanner by the way?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
bigx:

Lol, lexia 3 is the software for Citroen Models, if they've any idea they'd be more familiar with Peugeot planet 2000 or Diagbox.

Theirs is usually one Big contraption and Peugeot France gives to dealers only.

Is Lexia 3 not the same with PP2000/Diagbox?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:15pm On Dec 12, 2012
t-die:

I gathered that the pp2000 doesn't work on some 307 models. Could be the reason why yours refused to connect. Or has it started connecting with the ECU?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 5:24pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ikenna351:

Is Lexia 3 not the same with PP2000/Diagbox?

Ikenna.

The parent Software Suite for Peugeot and Citroen is called Diagbox. Just like the parent software Suite for Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint etc is called Microsoft Office. Then within the Diagbox Suíte, The software for Citroen is called Lexia, while that for Peugeot is called PP2000.
The scantool hardware for both Peugeot and citroen remains the same as far as I know. however you have to choose PP2000 to scan a Pug, or Lexia to scan a Citroen. That notwithstanding, i think any Peugeot dealer worth his onions should know both lexia and PP2000 since they come together in the same software suite
Hope I made sense. I'm not so good at explaining things.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 5:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ikenna351:

I gathered that the pp2000 doesn't work on all 307 models. Could be the reason why yours refused to connect. Or has it started connecting with the ECU?

Ikenna.

I think the connectivity issue had to do with the newer versions of the Diagbox. So I downgraded my diagbox version and its connecting quite fine now.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:34pm On Dec 12, 2012
t-die:

The parent Software Suite for Peugeot and Citroen is called Diagbox. Just like the parent software Suite for Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint etc is called Microsoft Office. Then within the Diagbox Suíte, The software for Citroen is called Lexia, while that for Peugeot is called PP2000.
The scantool hardware for both Peugeot and citroen remains the same as far as I know. however you have to choose PP2000 to scan a Pug, or Lexia to scan a Citroen. That notwithstanding, i think any Peugeot dealer worth his onions should know both lexia and PP2000 since they come together in the same software suite
Hope I made sense. I'm not so good at explaining things.

Your explanation was very elementary. Quite clear to understand. Didnt know the differences before. Thanks.

I can see now that i was really speaking French to the poor guys at ASD motors. grin

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
t-die:

I think the connectivity issue had to do with the newer versions of the Diagbox. So I downgraded my diagbox version and its connecting quite fine now.

Downgraded? Newer version? Abeg explain.

Is yours windows xp version or Windows 7?

Am asking all these because i plan to get the diagbox by end of this month, which i have discussed with bigx. Can it be installed on windows 8 laptop?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
sad
bigx:

Same in ph, they always use the handheld version and never seem to fully understand the scan results.

How's your scanner by the way?

My scanner is fine o. Unfortunately I have not been able to unlock the dealer options yet... things like ATF counter reset tool, ECU update tools and the calibration tools. Still searching around online for help. Don't mind paying to have these options unlocked.
Do you have any clue where I can find help? I've also tried Aussiefrogs...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 5:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ikenna351:

Downgraded? Newer version? Abeg explain.

Is yours windows xp version or Windows 7?

Am asking all these because i plan to get the diagbox by end of this month, which i have discussed with bigx. Can it be installed on windows 8 laptop?

Ikenna.

Unfortunately, Diagbox will not work on Windows 8 or even on 7 or Vista. Even when you use the Windows xp virtual environment. I tried all that. Luckily for me, my laptop crashed at the same time due to a particularly bad virus infection so I partitioned my Hard disk and am running Xp on one partition and windows 7 on the other partiton. Diagbox is running perfectly fine on my Xp partition.
I am also lucky that all the important drivers i need for my laptop to function normally with windows xp are available. I dont think the latest laptops have that option. So its either you create a partition on your laptop and install the regular windows xp, or get a second cheap laptop already running on win Xp
For the diagbox versions, I'll explain when I get home. Dont have the various version numbers offhead. Gimme like 2 hours for that.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
t-die:
sad

My scanner is fine o. Unfortunately I have not been able to unlock the dealer options yet... things like ATF counter reset tool, ECU update tools and the calibration tools. Still searching around online for help. Don't mind paying to have these options unlocked.
Do you have any clue where I can find help? I've also tried Aussiefrogs...

Try this:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/peugeot-planet-tips-tricks-9227/

You can as well register in the forum:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
Am also working on getting a windows 8 laptop too, next week. Will partition about 150 GB, out of the 400 GB HDD, for the windows xp. The rest, 250 GB HDD, will be left for the windows 8. I hope the diagbox runs fine on it.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 6:05pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ikenna351:

Am also working on getting a windows 8 laptop too, next week. Will partition about 150 GB, out of the 400 GB HDD, for the windows xp. The rest, 250 GB HDD, will be left for the windows 8. I hope the diagbox runs fine on it.

Ikenna.

150GB is way too much...
I partioned just 40GB for daigbox and I have almost 25GB free. 50 to 60 GB will do just fine considering future updates etc
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
t-die:

150GB is way too much...
I partioned just 40GB for daigbox and I have almost 25GB free. 50 to 60 GB will do just fine considering future updates etc

Ok. Will do that. Thanks for the tips.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:44pm On Dec 14, 2012
In case anyone is interested, below is the 405 and 505 owners manuals, workshorp/repair manuals, Electrical manuals, brochures & magazines, no matter the model or engine type or family( Petrol I4s carburetor- XN1 & XN1A), Petrol I4s Injection, Diesel I4s, Turbos and V6.

It also contain manuals on how to overhaul manual and auto tranmissions, Suspensions, front and rear bushings, rear differential, ABS, etc.

Find them below:

http://peugeot505.info/index.php?id=downloads_manuals&lang=1

http://peugeot505.info/index.php?id=downloads_brochures&lang=1

http://peugeot505.info/index.php?id=news_2011&lang=1

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tundesto(m): 4:28pm On Dec 17, 2012
You stress here that EW10 engine is recommended for all intending buyers of Peugeot 406 from year 2001 to 2004. I want to ask if other earlier versions of engine i.e 1995-2000 are not good at all or manageable. Please allay my fears as those 2001 and above Peugeot 406 are priced above my budget and I love the ride so much. I am somebody who can maintain things well.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:45pm On Dec 17, 2012
tundesto: You stress here that EW10 engine is recommended for all intending buyers of Peugeot 406 from year 2001 to 2004. I want to ask if other earlier versions of engine i.e 1995-2000 are not good at all or manageable. Please allay my fears as those 2001 and above Peugeot 406 are priced above my budget and I love the ride so much. I am somebody who can maintain things well.

I believe you were referring to the XU10 series. When you said "earlier versions" '95-'00, it didnt specify if you are refering to D8 or D9.

From '95-'00, various engines were installed in both D8 & D9: XU5, XU7, XU10 series(including turbo), EW10 series, EW12 (very rare), TD & HDIs (Diesels) & ES9 series (V6s).

XU10 vs EW10: There is nothing wrong with XU10. Only difference is that EW10 is an improvement on XU10, hence, you cant get EW10 in D8. EW10 has more engine torque and hp than the XU10. But do know that the margin is very small to be much significant. But the fuel economy appears to be the same, hence, you gain more power with the same fuel economy of the other. An improvement on the other means its more refined. But doesnt mean its more durable.

But when it comes to the best economy car among them, the EW10 doesnt come close to the TD and HDIs. I mean, with a full tank of fuel (70 litres) of HDI 406, it can take you tro-and-fro, from Sokoto to Rivers state, and back to Sokoto, on one full tank. That is, one full tank of HDI 406 can cover more than 2000 km. Go figure.

But to own a HDI 406, you need to be ready to do the repairs yourself and be sourcing for the parts in Europe. But do know that the HDIs are more durable than other petrol engines, be it the V6s.

When it comes to power, you have the option of EW12 and ES9 series. The EW12 is the only I4 Petrol engine in 406 with high power for someone that loves power but minds fuel economy. But very few D9 got that engine. Very rare, difficult to find one for sale. But the 407 and 607 have the engine abundantly. But if you want extreme power that will blow you off and keep constant smile on your face when in action, then either of the two ES9 series (ES9J4 & ES9J4S) will do that for you. But will cost you fuel economy when driven hard in city. But not everyone would mind.

Since D9 comes with both XU10 & EW10, its natural that people would prefer the refined or improved one. But in terms of reliability & durability, all are the same. But do note that there were very few cases people complained the XU series in their D8 were oil burners and few suffered ECU failures. But they didnt state the series in Particular: XU5, XU7 or XU10. But like i said, only few cases.

Ikenna.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tundesto(m): 3:00pm On Dec 18, 2012
Ikenna351:

I believe you were referring to the XU10 series. When you said "earlier versions" '95-'00, it didnt specify if you are refering to D8 or D9.

From '95-'00, various engines were installed in both D8 & D9: XU5, XU7, XU10 series(including turbo), EW10 series, EW12 (very rare), TD & HDIs (Diesels) & ES9 series (V6s).

XU10 vs EW10: There is nothing wrong with XU10. Only difference is that EW10 is an improvement on XU10, hence, you cant get EW10 in D8. EW10 has more engine torque and hp than the XU10. But do know that the margin is very small to be much significant. But the fuel economy appears to be the same, hence, you gain more power with the same fuel economy of the other. An improvement on the other means its more refined. But doesnt mean its more durable.

But when it comes to the best economy car among them, the EW10 doesnt come close to the TD and HDIs. I mean, with a full tank of fuel (70 litres) of HDI 406, it can take you tro-and-fro, from Sokoto to Rivers state, and back to Sokoto, on one full tank. That is, one full tank of HDI 406 can cover more than 2000 km. Go figure.

But to own a HDI 406, you need to be ready to do the repairs yourself and be sourcing for the parts in Europe. But do know that the HDIs are more durable than other petrol engines, be it the V6s.

When it comes to power, you have the option of EW12 and ES9 series. The EW12 is the only I4 Petrol engine in 406 with high power for someone that loves power but minds fuel economy. But very few D9 got that engine. Very rare, difficult to find one for sale. But the 407 and 607 have the engine abundantly. But if you want extreme power that will blow you off and keep constant smile on your face when in action, then either of the two ES9 series (ES9J4 & ES9J4S) will do that for you. But will cost you fuel economy when driven hard in city. But not everyone would mind.

Since D9 comes with both XU10 & EW10, its natural that people would prefer the refined or improved one. But in terms of reliability & durability, all are the same. But do note that there were very few cases people complained the XU series in their D8 were oil burners and few suffered ECU failures. But they didnt state the series in Particular: XU5, XU7 or XU10. But like i said, only few cases.

Ikenna.

Thank you very much. But would you recommend I buy a 1998-2000 Peugeot 406 with XU10 series(as long as it is not V6)? I am asking this because I once saw your post here advising somebody that he should go for EW10 series which are more trouble free.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
tundesto:

Thank you very much. But would you recommend I buy a 1998-2000 Peugeot 406 with XU10 series(as long as it is not V6)? I am asking this because I once saw your post here advising somebody that he should go for EW10 series which are more trouble free.

I apologise for my mistake, if i have used the words "more trouble-free" to describe EW10 against XU10. Both were used in D9 (1999-2004 in Europe).

You need to know which of them you want? Phase I (D8) or phase II (D9 or facelifted). 1998 model is D8. You cant get EW10 in it. So, that rules out choice of engine between the EW10 & XU10. D8 has petrol I4 1.6L (XU5), 1.8L (XU7), 2.0L (XU10, including HPI & Turbo). But i would avoid the HPI and Turbo.

You can still get XU10 in the facelifted 406, if you can afford the D9, since the phase I is cheaper.

Like i said, nothing is wrong with XU10. Except that another engine, EW10, succeeeded it, which was not only installed in D9, but also in 307, 407 & and few 607.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tundesto(m): 9:57am On Dec 19, 2012
Ikenna351:

I apologise for my mistake, if i have used the words "more trouble-free" to describe EW10 against XU10. Both were used in D9 (1999-2004 in Europe).

You need to know which of them you want? Phase I (D8) or phase II (D9 or facelifted). 1998 model is D8. You cant get EW10 in it. So, that rules out choice of engine between the EW10 & XU10. D8 has petrol I4 1.6L (XU5), 1.8L (XU7), 2.0L (XU10, including HPI & Turbo). But i would avoid the HPI and Turbo.

You can still get XU10 in the facelifted 406, if you can afford the D9, since the phase I is cheaper.

Like i said, nothing is wrong with XU10. Except that another engine, EW10, succeeeded it, which was not only installed in D9, but also in 307, 407 & and few 607.

Ikenna.

Thank you very much once again for allaying my fears. I learnt you are in Abuja like myself. Where can I get a dealer that has many varieties of that Peugeot 406 on his fleet to inspect? My budget is 800k. I hope that can at least get me a 1998 model.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:43am On Dec 19, 2012
tundesto:

Thank you very much once again for allaying my fears. I learnt you are in Abuja like myself. Where can I get a dealer that has many varieties of that Peugeot 406 on his fleet to inspect? My budget is 800k. I hope that can at least get me a 1998 model.

Unfortunately, i don't know any dealer in Abuja that may have such. But i believe you will find one with patience. Though, you will find more of D9 here in Abuja.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 27, 2012
@ Ikenna, what do u think of a 1998 V6 406, auto tranny? Is it durable?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.