Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,852 members, 7,802,730 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (384545 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by olashow(m): 11:39am On Sep 05, 2012
I have to get them again. I'll let you have them as soon as I do. Thanks a lot Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 1:33am On Sep 10, 2012
Ikenna,pls i own a 2004 Peugeot 406(Nigerian assembly).Its the 1.8L version.On idling,it tends to rev up and down.The exhaust sounds as if it has a leak but there is no leak on it.My mechanic suggested replacing the fuel filter and plugs.What do you think?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:35am On Sep 10, 2012
Amaizu: Ikenna,pls i own a 2004 Peugeot 406(Nigerian assembly).Its the 1.8L version.On idling,it tends to rev up and down.The exhaust sounds as if it has a leak but there is no leak on it.My mechanic suggested replacing the fuel filter and plugs.What do you think?

Hunting issue. The issue is possibly a vacuum leak.

Check all the vacuum lines on the engine for leak. Make sure all lines are well clamped, tightly. Also make sure no vacuum line are plugged in where they are supposed to. Hunting is usually caused by vacuum leak.

Btw, vacuum lines are all the hoses in on the engine/engine bay, other than the fuel and coolant hoses.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 1:31pm On Sep 11, 2012
HI All,
I'm back again (See my post earlier in this thread about an Oil leaking and hard starting Peugeot 307 Automatic). I bought a Lexia/PP2000 scan tool but for some reasons, it could not communicate with my ECU. I then had to have it scanned with a generic tool and pulled the following codes;
Fault Code PD209: Description-Dialogue with the Automatic gearbox ECU. Incorrect value received. Status-Intermittent fault
Fault Code P0480: Fan Unit Speed reference value. Status-Intermittent fault
Fault Code P0326: Knock sensor. Status-Permanent Fault

My question-especially regards the knock sensor is whether the knock sensor can be responsible for hard starting issues-I looked online but there seem to be different opinions. Also is the knock sensor the same with crankshaft position sensor (Thats what the Manager of the Autoshop where I had my car scanned said).
I had my Coolant temperature sensor changed a few days back to a brand new one from the UK. But my hard starting issues persist.
As regards the Oil leak. I think I found the culprit... The Air hose wasn't fitting snugly enough unto the throttle body...! I had that rectified and the leakage has almost stopped totally. Will use the car for a while to see if it comes up again.
Pleas what could be the other causes of this hard starting. Someone else said it could be the fuel pump.
Ikenna, Siena...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:30pm On Sep 11, 2012
t-die:
HI All,
I'm back again (See my post earlier in this thread about an Oil leaking and hard starting Peugeot 307 Automatic). I bought a Lexia/PP2000 scan tool but for some reasons, it could not communicate with my ECU. I then had to have it scanned with a generic tool and pulled the following codes;
Fault Code PD209: Description-Dialogue with the Automatic gearbox ECU. Incorrect value received. Status-Intermittent fault
Fault Code P0480: Fan Unit Speed reference value. Status-Intermittent fault
Fault Code P0326: Knock sensor. Status-Permanent Fault

My question-especially regards the knock sensor is whether the knock sensor can be responsible for hard starting issues-I looked online but there seem to be different opinions. Also is the knock sensor the same with crankshaft position sensor (Thats what the Manager of the Autoshop where I had my car scanned said).
I had my Coolant temperature sensor changed a few days back to a brand new one from the UK. But my hard starting issues persist.
As regards the Oil leak. I think I found the culprit... The Air hose wasn't fitting snugly enough unto the throttle body...! I had that rectified and the leakage has almost stopped totally. Will use the car for a while to see if it comes up again.
Pleas what could be the other causes of this hard starting. Someone else said it could be the fuel pump.
Ikenna, Siena...

Welcome back.

No, Knock sensor is not CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Peugeot calls it knock detector or Detonation sensor. Its a microphone that is attached close to combustion chambers, to detect and signal to ECU if engine is pinging or knocking. And when ECU receives such signal, it will rretard the timing to save or protect the engine. That is its function. You can even run the engine with the Detonation sensor disconnected, but your engine wont be protected anymore against knocking or pinging.

And, Yes, faulty CKP will give a hard-starting or a non-starting symptom. But you still need to be sure what sensor your mechanic was refering to as the knock sensor or CKP.

Have you tried to clean the harness and sensor connectors? Corrossion in harness/sensor wiring connectors will reduce the full signal of values from the sensors to the ECU. Pull-out all the connectors you can lay hand on, clean them and fix them back, you never know.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
@ t-die,

Usually, CKP is attached on the Bellhousing (what Nigerians call banjo), while the knock sensor is attached on the Cylinder head or engine block, as long as its close to the combustion chambers.

Try pulling out the ckp and check the surface. If mud got trapped in the bellhousing and covers the sensor, it will stop sensing the spinning of the flywheel or may find it difficult to do so. If very dirty, clean up the dirt, fix back and try starting the car again. If any improvement is noticed, then you have found the culprit. You can also test the resistance value of the ckp with Digital Multimeter, to determine if the sensor still gives factory values or not. You may have to check workshop manual, if you have, to know the factory value of the sensor.

Do know that some engines have their ckp attached close to crankshaft pulley, in front of the engine, not on the bellhousing. The workshop manual will show you the location of the sensor in the engine bay or you google it. My 2 Lions have their CKPs on the bellhousing, which was why i assumed yours should be there too. But you need to be sure.

Hard-starting, usually, is caused by engine flooding or lean mixture. Most of the time, its injection issue. But if the amplifier module starts failing, it could cause hard starting. Likewise, an injection or ignition relay that is working intermittently, will do the same.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by midpoint: 5:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
My Peugeot 307 shakes and displays "Depollution System Faulty" sometimes when I start it. What could be the problem? I noticed it first time during the last Abuja fuel scarcity when my fuel went very low before i could refuel.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by fescope: 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2012
Hi Ikenna

Please I need peugeot 307 2001, 1.6 ltr... ECU,BSI & key package, the boys at ladipo mkt keep bringing 206 package arguing they are same. unfortunately, non has worked so far and the last one i fixed reset my mileage from 130k to 177k... so i took the car to CFAO motors, but they are asking for 500k plus. i will really appreciate if u can hook me up with a genuine spare parts dealer. This problem also damaged my transmision......The car is automatic pls. thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
Some persons have asked me to post the pic of my Lion, that they want to feed their eyes. So, if you want to see how my BABY looks, this is it:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?99977-New-looks-of-my-505-V6&p=1099994#post1099994

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:11pm On Sep 11, 2012
midpoint: My Peugeot 307 shakes and displays "Depollution System Faulty" sometimes when I start it. What could be the problem? I noticed it first time during the last Abuja fuel scarcity when my fuel went very low before i could refuel.

Its possible that your injectors or fuel filter are clogged, from dirts in the fuel tank when you ran the engine on reserve or nearly empty tank. Whatever that means, its an injection issue.

You can start by replacing the fuel filter. Then, get a good fuel injector cleaner. Unfortunately, we dont have Techron (Chevron product) in Nigerian markets. The best injection fuel system cleaner, so far. But you can try the Mobil or TOTAL injection system cleaner. The best usually is to clean them off the car. But how and with what? Carburetor cleaner? Don't try it.

Aside cleaning the injection system, if you can afford scanning the car ecu for error code(s), it wont be a bad idea. This is why i always advise people to try and have their own individual scanners, so that you wont have to be spending huge amount of money in scanning the car at commercial place, for every little issue with your car.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:21pm On Sep 11, 2012
fescope: Hi Ikenna

Please I need peugeot 307 2001, 1.6 ltr... ECU,BSI & key package, the boys at ladipo mkt keep bringing 206 package arguing they are same. unfortunately, non has worked so far and the last one i fixed reset my mileage from 130k to 177k... so i took the car to CFAO motors, but they are asking for 500k plus. i will really appreciate if u can hook me up with a genuine spare parts dealer. This problem also damaged my transmision......The car is automatic pls. thanks

Am sorry about the issues you are having about your car. I wonder what could cause the damage of the BSI or the engine ECU?

Unfortunately, am not a dealer and i dont know any car parts seller i trust enough to send you what you really need and for it to work. They are all the same. Try-your-luck, if i would say. But i will still ask around, but wont vouch for anyone.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by fescope: 10:01pm On Sep 11, 2012
Thanks a bunch Ikenna, i will really appreciate that.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 12, 2012
fescope: Hi Ikenna

Having problems with my BSI too. What exactly is the problem with your car? My BSI controls my central lock which has gone faulty. I have decided to leave the central lock that way as it doesn't affect the peformance of the car.
I know the BSI controls electrical parts like the radio, wiper, central lock etc. What really is your issue? That is before it damaged ur transmission. If it doesn't affect your vehicle performance, let it be, jst change ur transmission.
The BSI i fixed to test the central lock of my car changed my own mileage frm 44,000 to 168,000. Imagine angry
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by midpoint: 8:49am On Sep 12, 2012
Ikenna351:

Its possible that your injectors or fuel filter are clogged, from dirts that in the fuel tank when you ran the engine on reserve or nearly empty tank. Whatever that means, its an injection issue.

You can start by replacing the fuel filter. Then, get a good fuel injector cleaner. Unfortunately, we dont have Techron (Chevron product) in Nigerian markets. The best injection fuel system cleaner, so far. But you can try the Mobil or TOTAL injection system cleaner. The best usually is to clean them off the car. But how and with what? Carburetor cleaner? Don't try it.

Aside cleaning the injection system, if you can afford scanning the car ecu for error code(s), it wont be a bad idea. This is why i always advise people to try and have their own individual scanners, so that you wont have to be spending huge amount of money in scanning the car at commercial place, for every little issue with your car.

Ikenna

thanks!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 11:27pm On Sep 12, 2012
Ikenna,aside the hunting,i also noticed that on revving,my 406 brings out black smoke.i couldn't make out which ones are vacumm hoses but i'll look it up online.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2012
Amaizu: Ikenna,aside the hunting,i also noticed that on revving,my 406 brings out black smoke.i couldn't make out which ones are vacumm hoses but i'll look it up online.

Black smoke? Excessive fueling.

Your car engine is having fuel flooding, that why you are getting the black smoke symptom. A lot would make a car run such thirsty, to the point of emitting black smoke. One of them is the vacuum leak.

Inspect all the hoses in the engine bay for leaks, unclamped, unplugged or broken, if you cant tell vacuum lines from fuel lines.

Are you in Abuja? It shouldn't be a difficult thing to fix for you.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 10:51pm On Sep 13, 2012
Pity,i'm in Enugu.Really wished it was one of those times you come down to the east.I'll try see what i can do and keep you posted
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:14pm On Sep 13, 2012
Amaizu: Pity,i'm in Enugu.Really wished it was one of those times you come down to the east.I'll try see what i can do and keep you posted

Actually, i may likely come down to East in 2 weeks time or so (of course with my BABY). Am starting my annual leave next week. I have been itching to fire my baby again on a long trip, which i love doing a lot. I cant wait to listen to the noisy roaring impressive engine note on top speed, hence, the v6 songs. Oh! Am i forgetting its manual transmission which i enjoy pushing so hard until it starts screaming? Damn! I missed the fun. But i also have some personal matters that i needed to care of in Abuja, which may take the whole days of the leave. So I maynot make the trip. Besides, Xmas is around the corner.

Dont mind me and my Baby. Though, i will stop at Enugu first, to take care of some personal matters before heading to Anambra. If time permits, we will meet. But i wont advice you wait till i come, since the excessive fueling can ruin your engine, if conginued to be used for a long time(the excess unburnt fuel washing down the cylinders, entering the crankcase and diluting the engine oil in the sump). You can take it to someone that understand what EFI engine is. I know some Peugeot mechanics in Enugu, but am not sure i can vouch for any.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 1:26pm On Sep 16, 2012
Would have it scanned this week.was wondering if the generic OBD II scanners would work on a peugeot 406
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:30pm On Sep 16, 2012
Amaizu: Would have it scanned this week.was wondering if the generic OBD II scanners would work on a peugeot 406

Of course, it will work.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
Lion owners, can we organise such in different cities of Nigeria: Abuja, Lagos, Enugu, PH,etc?

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2369-1st-annual-peugeot-owners-of-north-america-meet/

What do you think guys?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 5:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
binger: I dont think there will ever again be a peugeot car as good and popular as 505 and 504. Dispute it

hav u tryd d 406?
in terms of popularity, mechanics actually scared pple away. But i assure u dat D scare is fading off nd d popularity of peugeots especially d 4o6 is on d increase.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
French Car Day in Australia, 2011:

http://leckyphoto.smugmug.com/Cars/French-Car-Festivals/French-Car-Festival-2011/16849935_GZFjgh#!i=1272006403&k=D8Z5twm
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?93090-Canberra-French-Car-Day-2011-5-Nov-2011
http://www.smugmug.com/share/gn7PyY47BQB4E

I really find this car French car or Peugeot day interesting. We can all work it out, if we are interested. All we need is a venue, an open space. Then, either we get a sponsor or sponsors or we donate.i.e. Mr. A pledges to bring a create of can Guinness stout to the venue that day, Mr. B pledges to bring a create of can Malt, while Mr. C pledges 20 pieces of take-away full with rice, etc. We choose a day in November or December for the event.

Its just a suggestion. But its a all about fun, coming together to talk about cars one on one, display our Lions, feed our eyes, take pictures, eat and drink, depart and wait for another year for the get together.

We can still choose to remain faceless (not disclose our usernames here) when we gather.

Like i said, its just a suggestion

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 3:45am On Sep 26, 2012
@ Ikenna, I am about buying a Naija used 406. I am yet to take a closer look at it, I don't know anything about 406 but all I know about that particular car is that it has a V6 engine, leather interior and auto transmission. The seller who is a friend told me that it has a bad fuel pump and a damaged ignition key that should be changed. I do not also know the year of manufacture for now but it looks like 2002 or 2003. do u think I will survive buying it? I also considered the price,250k
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:39am On Sep 26, 2012
Rudebwoy: @ Ikenna, I am about buying a Naija used 406. I am yet to take a closer look at it, I don't know anything about 406 but all I know about that particular car is that it has a V6 engine, leather interior and auto transmission. The seller who is a friend told me that it has a bad fuel pump and a damaged ignition key that should be changed. I do not also know the year of manufacture for now but it looks like 2002 or 2003. do u think I will survive buying it? I also considered the price,250k

This faulty fuel pump thing. Are you saying the car doesn't start? Is the mechanic sure the issue is the fuel pump?

I wont buy a car that doesnt start and run, no matter how cheap. Unless am buying it as a part car or have diagnosed the car myself and believed it would be an issue that wont cost much to fix.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 26, 2012
According to the seller it starts but doesn't move smoothly so he was told to change the fuel pump. I chose to trust him cos he has a fleet of cars.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:02am On Sep 26, 2012
Rudebwoy: According to the seller it starts but doesn't move smoothly so he was told to change the fuel pump. I chose to trust him cos he has a fleet of cars.

A lot of failing injection components will make a car move sluggishly, other than fuel pump. How are we sure his mechanics did a proper diagnosis to determine the cause of the sluggishness?

If i were you, I would scan the car first. He should permit you to do so, since he is your friend.

Am not trying to discourage you from buying thr car, if you have made up your mind, but you need to know what it will cost you to put the car in a shape that you will enjoy. Auto trans is a big turn off for me. Like i said, if you still want to buy the car, be ready to convert it to manual soon. Because it wont last you that long, if it hasn't started it issues already. Phase II 406 auto tranny got AL4 tranny. So i know how unreliable that tranny is. But if you are ready to be rebuilding it frequently, by replacing the 3 solenoids in the transmission (if you can find it here & one that can rebuild it for you), then you can keep the transmission, as long as it takes.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 9:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
Sometime ago Sienna in a fit suggested that a mechanic should be shot for an off the mark suggestion.Then i felt he was being too hard on our local techs.Today i really felt the same way.I discovered today that the mechanic who handled the 406 i recently bought removed the air filter in trying to resolve a matter that was obviously caused by a faulty MAF.Nigerian mechanics are a nightmare.

@Ikenna,can you help link me to Frenchbase or Sienna,i need to help a pal arrange for a good 607 Automatic Gearbox(V6),his car has been garaged for 8 months.see my e-mail ucheamaizu@yahoo.com or 08037756072.
Amaizu.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:44pm On Sep 26, 2012
Amaizu: Sometime ago Sienna in a fit suggested that a mechanic should be shot for an off the mark suggestion.Then i felt he was being too hard on our local techs.Today i really felt the same way.I discovered today that the mechanic who handled the 406 i recently bought removed the air filter in trying to resolve a matter that was obviously caused by a faulty MAF.Nigerian mechanics are a nightmare.

@Ikenna,can you help link me to Frenchbase or Sienna,i need to help a pal arrange for a good 607 Automatic Gearbox(V6),his car has been garaged for 8 months.see my e-mail ucheamaizu@yahoo.com or 08037756072.
Amaizu.

607 auto gearbox should be AL4 or 4HP20, which should be available as tokunbo here in Nigeria. Have you tried Mgbuka Obosi/Onitsha? It should be there.

If it was me, I would convert it to manual transmission, so that i wont have to garage the car again for another 1 year because of auto tranny failure, which will surely happen again.

The conversion to manual is even cheaper than replacing the failed auto tranny. But like i said, you will get the 607 auto tranny at Obosi. Its the same auto tranny in 406 V6 auto transmission. Likewise, the V6 engine in 607 is the same V6 engine in phase II 406 ( ES9J4S).

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
Amaizu: Sometime ago Sienna in a fit suggested that a mechanic should be shot for an off the mark suggestion.Then i felt he was being too hard on our local techs.Today i really felt the same way.I discovered today that the mechanic who handled the 406 i recently bought removed the air filter in trying to resolve a matter that was obviously caused by a faulty MAF.Nigerian mechanics are a nightmare.

Am not sure any 406 got MAF. I believe they all have MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), but am not sure. I will check and get back to you soon.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by GodsSon5(m): 8:01am On Sep 30, 2012
Peugeot 406 rides are quite cheap in the UK...will it be better to buy and ship the ride to Nigeria or its preferable ♈ōϋ buy in nigeria or let's say Cotonou...which is better and more cost efficient? And secondly how much will it take me to clear a 406 with Customs in Nigeria? Your candid response' will be appreciated

The one in my pix is for 1000 Pounds...and that's like 260,000NGN will it be worth it, buying and shipping to Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.