Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (384958 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:36pm On Oct 21, 2012
lecturerdabo:

2000 model
thanks

You still not getting it right.

304 Please, 304 production started in 1969 and ended in 1980. Unless you are telling me they started production of 304 in the year 2000 again. Please, check and get back.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 4:11am On Oct 22, 2012
lecturerdabo:

2000 model
thanks

I think he's confused about the 304 part.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigspif(m): 1:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ikenna thanks for ur quick response, i went to a mechanic workshop in Gudu the next day i posted for ur assistance and had the car scanned for 5k, i was told that i need to change a censor attached to fuel distributor, which i did and iwas lucky the car is better now. Thanks but do you have an idea how much an AC compressor costs? i need to change mine. I will give u a call when i return to Abuja next week, thanks once again.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 2:07pm On Oct 22, 2012
big spif: Ikenna thanks for ur quick response, i went to a mechanic workshop in Gudu the next day i posted for ur assistance and had the car scanned for 5k, i was told that i need to change a censor attached to fuel distributor, which i did and iwas lucky the car is better now. Thanks but do you have an idea how much an AC compressor costs? i need to change mine. I will give u a call when i return to Abuja next week, thanks once again.

As for the AC compressor, I have no idea. But I do know that 406 tokunbo AC compressor cost more than mine. The brand new 406 AC compressor will cost fortune.

In my case, I have decided to buy new compressor, since most of the used ones here in Abuja markets are not tokunbo, but used ones removed from scrapped cars.

At Gudu market, i gathered they are selling brand new AC compressor of older Peugeots 20k, which they said are made in China. But i went to APO market last Saturday, 3 days ago, i found another brand new one, made in Japan, by the brand name "Sanden", the same brand (factory) in my car. The price is 25k. I will go for that one, when am ready.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by GodsSon5(m): 9:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
lecturerdabo: I just want to say a very big thank you and God bless to you Ikenna cos to say I'm surprised we still ve people like you in Nigeria who can bring out their time to help others at no cost will be an understatement, once again GOD BLESS YOU REAL GOOD!

Pls I saw one 304 MODL 2000 on NL which am considering to buy. I was using volvo b4 things got too "easy" that made me sell the ride and now want to switch to Peugeot.
What can you tell me about this make as i ve not used the lion b4 though I am a big fan of the lion from childhood.

THANKS

Ikenna has been very helpful to me, he assisted me in purchasing a 406 prestige and also to check and make sure it has no faults, right now am using and touring it round Nigeria...Only GOD will reward ♈ōϋ cos he did all this without any charges what so ever it was even in his car we went around to purvhase the car...#GodblessyouIKENNA
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigspif(m): 1:44pm On Oct 23, 2012
Hi Gods-son
Please can you give me an idea how much to budget when buying the same type of your 406 Prestige here in Abuja? thanks and hope ur enjoying your lion
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 24, 2012
Ikenna351:

I met someone yesterday that his 406 once had a BSI issue. According to him, he bought another BSI unit, took the car to ASD motors at Area 7 (Peugeot dealership) and they re-coded/reprogrammed the BSI unit to link and work with the engine ECU and key fob. The car has been starting and every other thing working well since then. But of course, it changed the mileage.

So, BSI unit can be recoded in Nigeria. You need to find closest Peugeot dealership to you to get the job done. Hope that helps?

Ikenna

Really? Thanks for this info. Will try and find out if i can see a dealership in Lagos that can do that.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 10:57pm On Oct 25, 2012
Bought my Peugeot 406 in April and have been studying it since.Its the 1.8L variant(assembled by PAN in 2006).it seems that the former owners tampered with the fan.It has double fans and these fans are always on.Having read various contributors on the issue of engine over cooling,i want to restore the fan to the manufacture's settings but the electricians i have met,warn me about doing that.The said the thermostat may not be working and the vehicle may start to overheat.How do i confirm that the thermostat is working.
Amaizu.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 11:40pm On Oct 25, 2012
Amaizu: Bought my Peugeot 406 in April and have been studying it since.Its the 1.8L variant(assembled by PAN in 2006).it seems that the former owners tampered with the fan.It has double fans and these fans are always on.Having read various contributors on the issue of engine over cooling,i want to restore the fan to the manufacture's settings but the electricians i have met,warn me about doing that.The said the thermostat may not be working and the vehicle may start to overheat.How do i confirm that the thermostat is working.
Amaizu.

First of all make sure the thermostat is there, then let them do the proper connection, start the engine and leave for like 10 minutes, or till the temperature guage gets to 90, if the fan comes up at that point, you are good to go, if it exceeds and starts giving the temperature warning in the dashboard, immediately switch off the car and check your thermostat.
Ikenna said something earlier about boiling the thermostat in water but I can't remember where.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 12:14am On Oct 26, 2012
How do i even locate the thermostat
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:24am On Oct 26, 2012
@ Amaizu,

Yes, bigx was right. You need to be sure that the thermostat is still there and test if its working. Boiling it in a pot water is one of the method of testing thermostat. Its the best method, since you get to see for yourself if the thermostat still opens or not, stuck opened, stuck closed or at what temperature it opens (if you test it with thermometer). The temp at which the thermostat opens is engraved on it. Mine is 79 degrees.

There is another method to check if the thermostat is still there and working, without removing the thermostat and testing off the car. The radiator has two big hoses: upper and lower hoses. When the engine is cold (before first start in the morning), start the car and allow it to idle. After 3 mins of idling, touch the upper hose. It should feel warm or hot. Also feel the lower hose, it should be cold. After 5 mins of idling or so, the upper hose will become very hot, but the lower hose will still be cold. Go and check the temperature guage on instrument cluster. As soon as it gets to 90 C or the needle reaches the middle of the guage, go back to the engine bay and touch the lower radiator hose, it should get hot by now, meaning the thermostat has opened. Thats when the fans is supposed to start spinning and will go off after a minute of spinning, pending when the temp tries to exceed the middle of the temp guage, which might take 5 mins or so. But if the car is in motion (not below 40km/h), the fans will remain off untill the car becomes stationary again.

If the lower hose becomes warm at the low temp, then either the thermostat has been removed or its stuck open. If the lower hose remains cold at 90 C, then the thermostat is stuck closed.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2012
Thanks Bigx and Ikenna.Will keep you posted on my discovery.
Amaizu.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:34pm On Oct 26, 2012
Hi all,

I ordered a universal cone air filter via a friend in USA, who purchased and shipped it to me last Monday (4 days ago). I want to replace or modify it to gain more power and increase the fuel economy. Its actually a race filter for performance. Attached is the filter. The filter is on its way.

Below is the site i made the purchase: http://www.spectreperformance.com/index.php/catalog/air-filters/air-filters-racing-cone.html

Below, you will find threads in Northern American Peugeot forum i belonged to, where some 505 V6 owners have modified theirs to cone air filter and gained more power, with improved fuel economy and impressive engine note.

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2321-air-filter-for-v6/#entry17689

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1930-air-filter-replacement/page__hl__filter

It can be fitted in any car, in case you are wondering. The price is $30 USD. There is another brand which appears to be more expensive. Its K&N. You can google it.

You can find cheaper ones here, between $9 - $19 USD, depending on the size of your intake tube.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/universal_cone_air_filters_by_spectre_performance/1104000088_24175.aspx

Mine is 3" and the 3" cone air filter cost $19 or so. But i decided to buy the multi sized one that can size 3", 3.5" and 4", so that i can use it on any other car, if i want to.

I cant wait to gain more power on that V6, with less fuel consumption. And most importantly, More fun! If you are looking for an upgrade for your car for better performance, this is one of them.

Will keep you guys updated on the outcome, as soon as it arrives and i swap it in.

Ikenna.

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 27, 2012
Ikenna351:

I also gathered from a friend that Peugeot dealerships in Nigeria sell 406 brand new BSI kit. The kit contains brand new BSI unit, new ignition key switch (set) and new engine ECU. The kit cost I don't know about other Peugeot cars, like 307 and 407. You may have to findout from them, if you are interested.

Ikenna.

Thumbs up bro. You're doing a great job.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by obawale(m): 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN THIS AIR FILTER
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by obawale(m): 10:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
HI IKENNA,
I WILL LOVE TO GET LIKE 3 OF THESE FILTERS FROM YOU. HOW DO WE TALK? I AM ALSO IN ABUJA.
THANKS
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
obawale: HI IKENNA,
I WILL LOVE TO GET LIKE 3 OF THESE FILTERS FROM YOU. HOW DO WE TALK? I AM ALSO IN ABUJA.
THANKS

I don't sell the filter.

I have a friend in US through which i make purchases of car parts from US.

He bought mine $27.18. Then shipping cost $20.50. So both the filter and the shipping cost $47.68. Thats about N7,000 NGN. Very cheap. There are cheaper ones too, depending on the size of the intake tube.

If you know or have anyone there, you can ask and send money to the person to buy them for you. From what he told me, the universal cone filter is available in every car spare parts shop in US, including the popular brand K&N.

They are also available on Ebay on daily basis. But am not sure yet if paypal is accessible to Nigerians.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by peace777: 3:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
I have a Peugeot 607.The car develop a fault.
I was told that i need to flash the sensor and replace the Relay for the Injector.

Peugeot 607 HDi engine.

What is your opinion about this please ?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
peace777: I have a Peugeot 607.The car develop a fault.
I was told that i need to flash the sensor and replace the Relay for the Injector.

Peugeot 607 HDi engine.

What is your opinion about this please ?

I know nothing about the HDI engines. My fear is that even the Peugeot dealerships in Nigeria maynot be of much help too. They dont produce or sell brand new diesel Peugeots. So they maynot invest that much in how to fix them.

Have you tried aussiefrogs? Most of the members drive HDI Peugeots. You will get all the help you need there. www.aussiefrogs.com

Meanwhile, lets hope someone here can help .

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by ojinkpo: 8:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
i need to buy authomatic 406 peugeot prestige.let someone help me on where to buy online or elsewhere at a reduced price.please mail me on samdone61@yahoo.com
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 9:24pm On Oct 31, 2012
Ikenna,
Considering how the 406 air filter is,do u think we can fit one into the 406.interested but really wondering.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:01am On Nov 01, 2012
Amaizu: Ikenna,
Considering how the 406 air filter is,do u think we can fit one into the 406.interested but really wondering.

It's a universal filter, designed to fit every EFI car/SUV/crossover/Van,etc. There are some designed for non EFI engines as well (non cone filters).

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by obawale(m): 10:56am On Nov 01, 2012
Ikenna351:

I don't sell the filter.

I have a friend in US through which i make purchases of car parts from US.

He bought mine $27.18. Then shipping cost $20.50. So both the filter and the shipping cost $47.68. Thats about N7,000 NGN. Very cheap. There are cheaper ones too, depending on the size of the intake tube.

If you know or have anyone there, you can ask and send money to the person to buy them for you. From what he told me, the universal cone filter is available in every car spare parts shop in US, including the popular brand K&N.

They are also available on Ebay on daily basis. But am not sure yet if paypal is accessible to Nigerians.

Ikenna.

i know you are not selling it. can i have your phone number so that we can talk? my email is adewalethomas@yahoo.com
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:29am On Nov 01, 2012
obawale:

i know you are not selling it. can i have your phone number so that we can talk? my email is adewalethomas@yahoo.com

Its 08052811236.

Its also constantly in my signature or profile, including my email address.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wablet(m): 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
I just bought Peugeot 607 model 2001 and its manual transmission. For proper maintenance, what type of engine oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid can I use. I tried reading the owner's manual but it was written in German. Moreover,i want to procure a scanner: what type should I buy. Thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
wablet: I just bought Peugeot 607 model 2001 and its manual transmission. For proper maintenance, what type of engine oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid can I use. I tried reading the owner's manual but it was written in German. Moreover,i want to procure a scanner: what type should I buy. Thanks

Congrats!

The factory/recommended engine oil should be there in the owners manual. Even with the German language, i believe you can still tell the grade number. Notwithstanding, the engine oil grade should also be somewhere in the engine bay. Start with the oil filler cap. When you find it, i would advice you use TOTAL oil. Peugeot recommends TOTAL engine oil for all their engines.

By the way, whats the engine type or model?

As for the tranny fluid, that should also be in the owners manual. But since its manual transmission, you can choose between 85W 140 or 85W 90. The former is thicker or heavier, while the latter is thinner or lighter. I use the former in my car, which is TOTAL, of course.

Like i said, Peugeot recommends Shell, Elf and TOTAL oil for their products. I use TOTAL products, be it engine oil, tranny oil or Coolant.

As for the scanner, buy the PP2000 (Peugeot Planet 2000), otherwise known as Diagbox. Its specifically produced for Peugeot and Citroen vehicles. It does more than scanning. Like programming of new keys or BSI kits, updating of engine ECUs via online etc. Its a must tool for every modern Peugeot car owner. You will understand when you have it. Google it for more info.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 8:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
wablet: I just bought Peugeot 607 model 2001 and its manual transmission. For proper maintenance, what type of engine oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid can I use. I tried reading the owner's manual but it was written in German. Moreover,i want to procure a scanner: what type should I buy. Thanks

Visit http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ddb/ for your peugeot manuals. Select English, Select Car Model and select the Car Year. Hope that helps

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wablet(m): 6:39am On Nov 02, 2012
Ikenna and bigx, you are well appreciated. Only God can and will repay you for your efforts.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wablet(m): 7:30am On Nov 02, 2012
Hi bros Ikenna, where can I get the scanner cos I've no idea about it and don't want to get scammed. Thanks.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 7:41am On Nov 02, 2012
wablet: Hi bros Ikenna, where can I get the scanner cos I've no idea about it and don't want to get scammed. Thanks.
I used to sell them but I don't have any in stock right now, the demand wasn't much and they where tying down useful money. Most of them work with windows xp computers alone though.
I attached the picture in case your googling it.

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2012
Duplicate post

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.