Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,366 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running (12537 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard / Five Warning Signs Not To Be Ignored (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2012
Summer's a prime time for road trips, but logging hundreds of miles also means you’re more likely to encounter vehicle trouble. Warning lights can make any driver nervous, but if you know what each light means, you’ll be able to handle any problems that arise.

Oil Pressure Warning Light

Imagine the sound of two pieces of steel grinding together without a lubricant. That’s the sound your car could make without enough oil. The oil pressure light doesn’t tell you when it’s time for an oil change (although some cars can do that), but it will tell you if there are low levels of oil, or if the oil pressure is low.This could be a result of a punctured oil pan, a leak or a number of problems. If your oil pressure warning light turns on, pull over safely, turn off your car immediately and add oil. If you run the engine without oil, it will seize because the metal parts won’t be able to move against each other. That kills your engine.

The cost of diagnosing and fixing an oil leak on a Car with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine can cost between $396 and $534. That’s a lot to dish out at once, but it’s less than replacing a seized engine, which can cost $5,000 or more.

Check Engine Warning Light

In most cars, the check engine light and the onboard diagnostics light are the same thing: They indicate that there is a problem in the engine or the emissions system. If this light is on you could have a minor problem like a loose gas cap. But you could also be facing more serious issues, like fuel leaking into the exhaust pipe. If this happens, the fuel could damage the catalytic converter, a component that helps clean your exhaust fumes and is expensive to fix.

Tire Pressure Warning Light

Under-inflated tires can lose traction, increase a vehicle’s stopping distance and can make blowouts more likely. Since 2006, all vehicles in the U.S. are required to have a standard tire pressure monitoring system. A standard warning light has two parts: a low tire pressure warning and a tire pressure failure warning. If a tire pressure light comes on, you can find a gas station where you can check your tire pressure and add air, pull over and replace the tire or drive your car to a maintenance shop. If you have run-flat tires, you’re in luck. Most run-flat tires can drive up to 60 miles without damaging your wheels. Some auto reviewers say that run-flat tires ride rougher than traditional tires, but to most of us, peace of mind in case of a flat is more important than how your car will perform on a race track. On the other hand, driving after a tire has completely blown will ruin your rims, adding thousands of dollars to your repair cost.

Engine Temperature Warning Light

Keep a watchful eye on your engine temperature gauge, which tells you how hot the engine is. If your engine is overheating, a small thermometer, a picture of a radiator or the word “temp” might light up. Usually, this temperature gauge notifies the driver that there is a problem with the engine’s coolant system. If the temperature light turns on, pull over to the side of the road and wait until the gauge falls back to the halfway mark. Remember, never pour water over a hot engine, and never open the radiator cap until the engine has fully cooled. Rather than cooling the engine down, dousing hot metal with cold water can result in dangerous amounts of steam and can warp or crack the metal. Opening up the radiator while it’s still hot can release a boiling radiator fluid that can badly burn your hands or face. If you don’t take this light seriously, you could damage your vehicle’s internal parts significantly. Hoses can burst, gaskets can blow and if aluminum cylinders expand too much, the engine could seize. Get to a shop immediately, where they can diagnose and fix the problem.

Brake Warning Light

Generally, the brake warning light turns on if pressure in the brake system has changed because of leaking or overheating brake fluid. Since disc brakes are operated by hydraulics, a change in fluid pressure means that they might not function properly. Most cars have disc brakes on at least the front wheels, while older cars generally use drum brakes on all four.

If your brake light goes on while you’re driving, take your foot of the gas and switch on your warning flashers so others know there’s a problem. Try pumping your brakes to get a bit more fluid in the brake system, which may give your brakes enough capability to work. Driving on grass or gravel, like what might be found on the shoulder of a highway, can also help you slow down.

Brake fade and failure can occur on a long downhill grade, when the driver has used the brakes too much and caused them to overheat. To prevent brake fade, shift from “Drive” into a lower gear. Allowing your engine to run only in a lower gear will limit its top speed and act like a brake. This technique is called “engine braking,” and many truckers and other drivers use it on long downhill grades to preserve their brakes for when they’re really needed. If your brakes totally fail, keep your eyes out for a runaway truck ramp. These ramps are located on the side of a downhill road, are built on an incline and are usually made of deep sand or soil. They can damage your car, since the engine can get filled with sand and any large rocks in the mixture can scrape up your car, so only use a runaway truck ramp in extreme cases. Still, they’ll slow you right down and keep you safe.

Remember to check your owner’s manual if you see a light you don’t recognize, since every car is a little different. Hopefully, knowing the warning signs ahead of time will help you prevent further damage to your car, and save a little money in the process.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/five-warning-lights-that-keep-your-car-running-20110819.html

5 Likes

Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by Harbb: 10:13am On Jul 30, 2012
Nice one there. Kudos.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by miteolu(m): 3:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
This is kind of info we need not [s]pictures of stupid fellow that add no value.[/s]
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by ebamma(m): 3:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
okay
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by tmontee: 3:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the tips.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by solaceguy(m): 3:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
K
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2012
Nice one.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by thomason: 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2012
Kudos
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by ennkey(f): 4:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
calculusx:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/five-warning-lights-that-keep-your-car-running-20110819.html
...my car shows the check engine thingy all the time but my mechanic says to ignore it cos my car is a 1999 Toyota Avalon, its old and there's no cause for alarm. i asked 2 of my male friends and they said about the same thing. The car runs fine though, no problem of any sort! so what do u think?
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
I worked on my crankshaft and Timing chain after diagnosis but the check engine sign refuse to disappear. . . .What is responsible for this please ?
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by MMM2(m): 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
Tanx
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by yyb14: 5:55pm On Jul 30, 2012
thanks
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by greaterlove(m): 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I worked on my crankshaft and Timing chain after diagnosis but the check engine sign refuse to disappear. . . .What is responsible for this please ?
really the check engine sign is a stubborn fellow and not just in my car but most cars i have been in has that light on, pls i need a tip too.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by nolongtin(m): 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
thanks mate!
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 6:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
I think it's time to make voice/audio alerts standard in all cars. Most people don't even check their dashboards talk less of understanding the warning lights. Warning lights is old-school and for technical people.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 6:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
~Bluetooth:

It is standard; you need to reset for it to go off. The reset is in the menu of the diagnostic tool.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by Wokeyim(f): 6:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
I drive a 2003 Mitsubuishi Montero Sport and I have this 'SRS' light alway showing on my dashboard. Secondly, My 'Service Engine Soon' light shows when about to start the car but doesn't show when the ignition is on. Kindly assist.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by pafestula(m): 6:50pm On Jul 30, 2012
Wokeyim: I drive a 2003 Mitsubuishi Montero Sport and I have this 'SRS' light alway showing on my dashboard. Secondly, My 'Service Engine Soon' light shows when about to start the car but doesn't show when the ignition is on. Kindly assist.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by pafestula(m): 6:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
Yr Montero dosent av active Airbag anymore, so dont rely on what is not!
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
logica:
It is standard; you need to reset for it to go off. The reset is in the menu of the diagnostic tool.

It was reset but it still appeared when I took it for repair till date.Though the engine and everything seems alright to me.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 7:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
Will reply to some comments later 2nght. Every light that appear on the dash-board all have their meanings and they should not be ignore.
I will also advise we lisen to a radio programme "automedics" on Traffic Radio 96.1 fm every day from 11-12noon. The programme is educative and informative.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by RichDad1(m): 8:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
calculusx: Will reply to some comments later 2nght. Every light that appear on the dash-board all have their meanings and they should not be ignore.
I will also advise we lisen to a radio programme "automedics" on Traffic Radio 96.1 fm every day from 11-12noon. The programme is educative and informative.
That is the real deal.I have really learn alot from this programme.it's also on Radio continental 102.3fm from 9-10am
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 8:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
~Bluetooth:

It was reset but it still appeared when I took it for repair till date.Though the engine and everything seems alright to me.
It goes off when it is reset, and comes back when you take it for repairs right? That's what I mean. You need to reset it every time there is work done on the engine. Or maybe you mean it was reset, and after you left it came back on and never went off. If it's the latter case, you need a better mechanic. Who knows what mess the current one has created.

1 Like

Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 9:38pm On Jul 30, 2012
solaceguy: chei
my engine shows brake, check engine and check hazard lights. And to diagnose with computer is like 10k. joor oh

My brother,its better you scan your Car before it get worst to know what needs to be fixed ontime. You can be your own mechanic by buying the scan tool to scan your car.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
ennkey: ...my car shows the check engine thingy all the time but my mechanic says to ignore it cos my car is a 1999 Toyota Avalon, its old and there's no cause for alarm. i asked 2 of my male friends and they said about the same thing. The car runs fine though, no problem of any sort! so what do u think?
greaterlove:

really the check engine sign is a stubborn fellow and not just in my car but most cars i have been in has that light on, pls i need a tip too.

People ignore the warning lights because they have no idea what it means and the problem it can generate, if its not taken care of ontime, it can get worst, so the earlier the better.
Whenever i service my Car, the check engine light or "service engine soon" still appear on the dash-board and with a reset the service engine soon will disappear. I repeat, none of the light on the dashboard should be ignored. If only we can go through our Car Manual we will understand better but how many Cars have Manual? grin
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by chatterly: 9:55pm On Jul 30, 2012
The check engine light is a persistent issue in American specs cars in Nigeria because of the low quality of gasoline sold in the local market.The cars sensors go off because the fuel is of a lesser quality to whaT it was designed for.it can be ignored but it's best to play saFe by using fuel treatment for every full tank of fuel(positiive powerby Mobil is very good).servicing the injector nozzles periodically is also helpful.you will rarely notice this problem on brand new Toyota and Hondas made for the Nigerian market.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by ZUBY77(m): 9:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
This is important to we drivers. Not telling us that Ini Edo is pregnant. Or announcing that Tonto Dike has promsed to stop smoking as if we care.

1 Like

Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by howfar2: 10:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
@Chatterly I partially agree with your low quality fuel assumption, instead will advice you to be careful with the type of fuel treatment you use.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2012
how far: @Chatterly I partially agree with your low quality fuel assumption, instead will advice you to be careful with the type of fuel treatment you use.

In USA they have 3 different types of PMS which are not of the same quality but here in Nigeria, what we buy is the lowest quality of PMS which have negative effect on automobile.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 10:47pm On Jul 30, 2012
chatterly: The check engine light is a persistent issue in American specs cars in Nigeria because of the low quality of gasoline sold in the local market.The cars sensors go off because the fuel is of a lesser quality to whaT it was designed for.it can be ignored but it's best to play saFe by using fuel treatment for every full tank of fuel(positiive powerby Mobil is very good).servicing the injector nozzles periodically is also helpful.you will rarely notice this problem on brand new Toyota and Hondas made for the Nigerian market.
I think it has less to do with fuel quality and more to do with the mechanics. They do a lot of damage as a result of ignorance when they work on your car. I don't think owners who take their cars to "high-level" (and costly) garages as Mandilas etc experience this problem; and it's not like they use different fuel grade.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 11:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
logica: I think it has less to do with fuel quality and more to do with the mechanics. They do a lot of damage as a result of ignorance when they work on your car. I don't think owners who take their cars to "high-level" (and costly) garages as Mandilas etc experience this problem; and it's not like they use different fuel grade.

You have a point especially giving your car to a competent mechanic. I had this check engine and vsc light on my dash-board for months before taking my SUV to Mandilas for a scan. After the 02 sensor was changed, the check engine light and VSC light disappear and my SUV doesn't consume fuel unlike when the lights are ON.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 11:07pm On Jul 30, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Said Honda Has A Wheel Problem (photo)? / What Are The Pros, Cons And Costs Of Buying Salvaged Cars? / Signs Of Lubricant Starvation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.