Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan (13398 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / "It's Going To Be A Very Difficult Year," Ngozi Okonji Iweala (CNN) / Rivers Govt Replies Okonji-iweala On Missing $5B From Excess Crude Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by ambrosini593(m): 6:07am On Jul 30, 2012
House rejects minister’s stand on Budget 2012

There seems to be no end in sight to the wrangling between the House of Representatives and the Presidency over the poor implementation of the 2012 budget, with the House throwing barbs at the Executive yesterday.

Nigeria has left the military era behind, House spokesman Zakari Mohammed said at a special media briefing where the House faulted the Executive’s claim that the National Assembly’s input into the budget delayed its implementation. The National Assembly is no longer “a toothless bulldog”, Mohammed said.

The House also, in a direct reference, warned President Goodluck Jonathan against the kind of advice he gets from Finance Minister Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and other “un-elected appointees”, which might put his administration in more trouble.

Mohammed said: “The idea of the National Assembly distorting the budget is incorrect. The National Assembly cannot distort a budget which it has full powers over. There is no law that says the budget must be returned to the President exactly the way it is forwarded to the National Assembly.

“They (Presidency) seem to be suffering from military hangover where budgets were announced after a meeting of the Supreme Military Council (SMC). The Federal Executive Council (FEC) is not the equivalent of the SMC. The National Assembly has replaced the SMC.

“If the Appropriation Act is to be sent back to the Executive the way it is presented, then, it is better that the National Assembly is abolished. In a constitutional democracy, in the budgeting process, the National Assembly exercises the constitutional responsibility of taking care of the interests and aspirations of Nigerians from every constituency.

The House spokesman, who read from a prepared text entitled: “2012 Budget, Non-Implementation: Okonjo-Iweala Should Address the Real Issues,” accused the Finance Minister of breaking the law by not adhering to the letters of the 2012 Appropriations Act.

According to the House, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala’s claim that the executive arm has implemented 56 per cent of the 2012 budget as widely reported, “is not true,” as only “about 34per cent of the budget has been implemented.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/55684-reps-to-jonathan%3A-beware-of-okonjo-iwealas-advice.html
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by CHIDIEJIOGU: 9:45am On Jul 30, 2012
KUNTA KUNTE! GEJ TAKE NOTE.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by slimdiggi: 9:45am On Jul 30, 2012
Why!!! I thought we were making progress in finance? wink
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by tunapawizzy: 9:47am On Jul 30, 2012
hmmmmm......this face-off is getting messier
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Tbillz(m): 9:51am On Jul 30, 2012
Which hotel Gej and Okonjo dey sit down write budget self? Hizz
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by TBD(m): 9:55am On Jul 30, 2012
GEJ Administration nigeria is trouble.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 30, 2012
Now, who wins, I see them, they run.........

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by searchcorp(m): 9:58am On Jul 30, 2012
For the first time in my life: I find it so difficult to understand Nigeria... I keep changing my political view everyday.

Now, this whole gej, honourables, noi thing is so loud that I can't even hear my thoughts....

My Father's Generation has failed this nation politically.

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Gbawe: 9:58am On Jul 30, 2012
This na guguru and epa moment. Time to just sit back and enjoy the back-and-forth.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by floridam(m): 10:01am On Jul 30, 2012
Could Ngozi okonjo Iweala be wrong with taking decisions as it relates to budgetting and finances.
I am beginning to think that even if a first class economist from havard is minister of economy in Nigeria, it may not work because Nigeria is a Complex community.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 30, 2012
searchcorp: For the first time in my life: I find it so difficult to understand Nigeria... I keep changing my political view everyday.

Now, this whole gej, honourables, noi thing is so loud that I can't even hear my thoughts....

LWKM
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 10:03am On Jul 30, 2012
The house of reps are right on this one.The Presidency is suffering from an unwarranted sense of supremacy to the NA.This is the nature of the Presidential system we chose to copy from America.The President here is lucky his party controls the National Assembly.What if that was not the case would they not negotiate and compromise.It is a shame that the PDP cannot determine their priorities and operationalize that in a budget.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by alaoeri: 10:06am On Jul 30, 2012
Presidency suffering from military hangover. undecided
34% executed not the claimed 56%. undecided
Above all beware of madam world back & non political appointee. Getting interesting, one thing am sure about GEJ regime is his inner caucus/advisers are doing more harm than good fȍr his administration which he seems not to know.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by digitite: 10:07am On Jul 30, 2012
At the end of the day will it trickle down to the common man ?

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 10:10am On Jul 30, 2012
searchcorp: For the first time in my life: I find it so difficult to understand Nigeria... I keep changing my political view everyday.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 30, 2012
floridam: Could Ngozi okonjo Iweala be wrong with taking decisions as it relates to budgetting and finances.
I am beginning to think that even if a first class economist from havard is minister of economy in Nigeria, it may not work because Nigeria is a Complex community.
It baffles me. If a world class economist known worldwide with 25yrs experience in the world bank job is criticized profusely by her own people, I think we need our heads examined.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by PointB: 10:17am On Jul 30, 2012
Apparently Okonjo Iweala is behind the moves to expose the oil subsidy thieves. Having engineered the exposure through the attempt at complete fuel subsidy removal, continuing the onslaught through exposing of sleaze and tightening of the treasury is too much for some of the thieves in the House of Reps.

Stopping GEJ, can only be achieved if they can get at NOI and other 'unelected appointees' in their calculation. When you fight corruption, it fights back. Well, this divide and rule tactics is pointless, and will never work. NOI stays!

NOI and GEJ, Nigerians are behind you.No shaking!!!

The House of Reps should clean their Augean stable first and foremost. It currently stink to high heavens.

By the way, we know there are still some good people in the House of Rep, we expect them to raise up to the challenge, and call their 'thieving' colleagues to order. Nuff said.

8 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 30, 2012
Naija which levels.like searchcop said, you keep changing your views everyday.Sometimes I wonder who is really confused.The govt or we nigerians.What/Who is the source of this confusion.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Ufeolorun(m): 10:18am On Jul 30, 2012
floridam: Could Ngozi okonjo Iweala be wrong with taking decisions as it relates to budgetting and finances.
Okonjo Iweala has got no verifiable antecedents on major economic or financial issues she just throw the name of the world bank around.
What exactly she was doing at the world bank is still a mystery but its becoming glaring now that she's a fake and failed 'economist'. I feel strongly obj throw her out because the likes of murkter,bode augusto,soludo made obj realize how empty she is.
We are in trouble but this impeachment threat gives me hope, too much incompetence in one place.

10 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by PointB: 10:21am On Jul 30, 2012
Between a world renown Economist, and a political spokesman, do we need to worry about who is on point on economic issue?
If not for sentiments, and bigotry, the difference is very clear!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by AjanleKoko: 10:21am On Jul 30, 2012
Billyonaire: It baffles me. If a world class economist known worldwide with 25yrs experience in the world bank job is criticized profusely by her own people, I think we need our heads examined.

Economist cheesy grin grin

Didn't she study Town Planning? Where did the economics come from?

8 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 10:22am On Jul 30, 2012

Let's stop trying to ignore what is right in front of us. She is being criticized for what she said. If she lied, then it is her fault and has nothing to do with how experienced we all believe she is or what school she attended or did not. Even pastors can lie.

We need to get over this worship of badges and learn to deal with what is right in front of us. Whether from Harvard or from Cambridge, a lie is a lie and should be condemned. If it is found that she did lie, Nigerians need to condemn that act.

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 10:23am On Jul 30, 2012
Nothing wrong with our heads,she is being judged on results.Anyway the World bank job is quite different from a Minister of Finance.One is a technocrat whose main responsibility is to her boss(es),the main shareholders of the bank i.e. the US.
She is seen to do a good job to the extent that she serves US interest.That is the nature of the World bank as her recent failure to become President highlights
The MD does not set the World bank Agenda but plays out a US/European script.In that regard she did very well apparently. Creating jobs or prosperity in a Place like Nigeria probably requires a set of skills which I suspect elude the accomplished lady.Time will tell
We must remember that the World Bank is not a commercial banking environment like Citigroup e,g and is very much removed from where the often painful impact of its decisions are felt.
Finance ministers on the other hand are often politicians elected and have a sense of the suffering of the people as well as an eye on future elections.
So, because someone is a world class vet we cannot assume they will make a good doctor
Just to make this point further. Is there any example anywhere of a previous world bank MD being employed as Minister of Finance in any significant economy or Any country for that matter and what were the results

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 30, 2012
Gbawe: This na guguru and epa moment. Time to just sit back and enjoy the back-and-forth.

Abi o... Shift make I join you jare. *grabs popcorn and alomo bitters*

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by size38: 10:24am On Jul 30, 2012
What do u expect from a house filled with hundred criminals? Otedola called them hungry people and non has the guts to challenge him anywhere. House of reps members are talking trash to me.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by size38: 10:26am On Jul 30, 2012
House of criminals want naija people to take their advice criously? Unless hungry guys according to otedola
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by wine4dguy: 10:28am On Jul 30, 2012
NOI ! Could she be a green snake in a green grass?

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Remmyode(m): 10:31am On Jul 30, 2012
Obasanjo was right during his tenure when he refused some of the policies of Okonjo Iweala which made her left his cabinet.

GEJ is the devil to himself, in the first place, while will a president of a country like Nigeria rely solely on advise from the appointees, this shows that GEJ lack what it takes to lead a state not to talk of a country.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Bukkyade: 10:31am On Jul 30, 2012
We know them now, na their way.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Bukkyade: 10:33am On Jul 30, 2012
The horrible members of the House , are very Confused and faustrated. Who really are they representing the citizens or their families, cos at this point I think they are after their pockets and bank accounts cause of the bogus amounts of projects they have in this budget, which they will never implement when funded. Nigerians by now should have known the pranks these horrible members are playing, when given money for constituency project they look for smaller projects(buying wheel barrows,cutlass,bicycle and motorcycles) thereby dodging the better portion of the funds for themselves and their families. I think it is time, we start probing this members.Now they are crictizing Ngozi, who is doing her best to ensure that this country is economically in order, just because she has told them the truth. God is watching you people oooo

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by thomason: 10:34am On Jul 30, 2012
Billyonaire: It baffles me. If a world class economist known worldwide with 25yrs experience in the world bank job is criticized profusely by her own people, I think we need our heads examined.

Bro, this is not criticism but fact, having Vast experience in world bank doesnt mean she cant be checked. However, she was politically appointed and she is just being loyal to her boss.

According to the House, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala’s claim that the executive arm has implemented 56 per cent of the 2012 budget as widely reported, “is not true,” as only “about 34per cent of the budget has been implemented.”

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by thomason: 10:36am On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Let's stop trying to ignore what is right in front of us. She is being criticized for what she said. If she lied, then it is her fault and has nothing to do with how experienced we all believe she is or what school she attended or did not. Even pastors can lie.

We need to get over this worship of badges and learn to deal with what is right in front of us. Whether from Harvard or from Cambridge, a lie is a lie and should be condemned. If it is found that she did lie, Nigerians need to condemn that act.

Correct.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Only One LGA Now In Boko Haram Territory, Says Borno Speaker - VANGUARD / FG Denies Salary Cut For Ministers / 7000 People Displaced In Benue And Other Emerging Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.