Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,841 members, 7,806,364 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving (26598 Views)

What Is Wrong With This Picture Of Ribadu And Jonathan? / Just 8 Years Out Of Power-is That Governor Nnamani? / The Nigerian Police Force Is Improving. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by ITbomb(m): 9:31am On Jul 30, 2012
Brothers and sisters in Nigeria, I want to testify of a miracle I encountered this week. The water in the lower compartment of my fridge froze. Can I get a witness in the house?

BLOG | JULY 29, 2012 - 7:57AM | BY SYLVA IFEDIGBO
www.dailytimes.com.ng/opinion/something-wrong-power-improving

3 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 9:33am On Jul 30, 2012
[size=14pt]How can electricity in the country have improved when

a) Transmission problems have yet to be tackled

b) Generation has fallen back down over the last couple of months. It is estimated to be about 2700MW on average per day, today.How can that be an improvement from more than 3900MW we were told of about December of last year
[/size]

na juju
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

If your goal is to rejoice that that power supply has improved(a la increase in power rations to your area at this time) in your tiny are of your state, go right ahead and do just that. However, when you want to speak of Power at the National level, at least visit the facts rather than come off sounding like another of the many empty-brains out there who feels that as long as they have electricity in their home, all is well in NIGERIA.
It would benefit us as a whole if we outgrew this selfish way of analyzing issues and situations.

11 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by jmaine: 9:35am On Jul 30, 2012
ITbomb: Brothers and sisters in Nigeria, I want to testify of a miracle I encountered this week. The water in the lower compartment of my fridge froze. Can I get a witness in the house?

Empirical proof never goes wrong grin . . .Now who has been vindicated . . . .
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 9:39am On Jul 30, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by ITbomb(m): 9:57am On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie: How can electricity in the country have improved when

b) [color=#990000]Generation has fallen back down over the last couple of months. It is estimated to be about 2700MW on average per day, today.How can that be an improvement from more than 3900MW we were told of about December of last year[/size]

na juju

I had asked myself all those questions, but what I see is what I take and appreciate.
I have light 18 hours and I dont care whether Transmission problems are tackled or not. We all know the problem was not availability of power but saboteurs in the system. The saboteurs are being pushed out and they are organising protest march. but the goodnews is that the strangled power has been released to the public.
I wont mind paying the PHCN bill of 12k this month.
When NOI talks about creating 10,000 jobs and improve macro economy, I dont need to listen untill when I see my neighbor employed , then I know they have created jobs.

18 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 10:04am On Jul 30, 2012
ITbomb:

I had asked myself all those questions, but what I see is what I take and appreciate.
I have light 18 hours and I dont care whether Transmission problems are tackled or not. We all know the problem was not availability of power but saboteurs in the system. The saboteurs are being pushed out and they are organising protest march. but the goodnews is that the strangled power has been released to the public.
When NOI talks about creating 10,000 jobs and improve macro economy, I dont need to listen untill when I see my neighbor employed , then I know they have created jobs.

Please stop perpetrating the same old lies thinking you make sense by doing so.

It is great to celebrate that you now have ice in your fridge, and that is good but don't pretend that then means the situation has improved past your building or your small area. For you to enojoy the light you have now, some other Nigerians, living in that same Nigeria, are having to go without.

The strangled power IS YET TO BE RELEASED to the public. The only thing that has happened(notice not future tense) is that PHCN was broken up, earilier in the year, into 18 companies. In fact, the news is that a company in Canada will start working on take over of the transmission arm TODAY, not before today. So there is no way for you to feel the effect BEFORE THE FACT.

Like I said, we need to mature as a people, and a nation to the point where we start to consider the big picture and not think the Nation is all about us and our little world. Power in Nigeria has not improved even though power supply to your area, due to rationing seems to have been increased.

6 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by gossips(f): 10:54am On Jul 30, 2012
ITbomb:

Hmm!
A very selfish view point!
Who really is your neighbour here? The man who shares same block or neighbourhood with you? That certainly is a restricted way of looking at it, don't you think?

Anyway, my view about this whole power-improvement matter is that you don't judge with what happens in your tiny area which doesn't make up to 1/1,000,000 of areas in Naija.
I just liken to the kind of prayer I hear some Nigerian Christians say. that, even if fuel were to go for a 1000naira per litre, it won't matter to them as long as they can afford it. That I consider to be selfishness at its peak and shouldn't be displayed or even condoned by anyone.

4 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by edoyad(m): 11:17am On Jul 30, 2012
ITbomb: Brothers and sisters in Nigeria, I want to testify of a miracle I encountered this week. The water in the lower compartment of my fridge froze. Can I get a witness in the house?

Funny but true, we've noticed the improvement in the powers situation around my area too
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 11:18am On Jul 30, 2012
gossips:

Hmm!
Who really is your neighbour here? The man who shares same block or neighbourhood with you? That certainly is a restricted way of looking at it, don't you think?

Anyway, my view about this whole power-improvement matter is that you don't judge with what happens in your tiny area which doesn't make up to 1/1,000,000 of areas in Naija.
[size=13pt]I just liken to the kind of prayer I hear some Nigerian Christians say. that, even if fuel were to go for a 1000naira per litre, it won't matter to them as long as they can afford it. That I consider to be selfishness at its peak and shouldn't be displayed or even condoned by anyone.[/size]
thank you!
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by afrobaby(f): 11:39am On Jul 30, 2012
Which areas are u talking about, power supply in my area is nothing to talk about

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by FrankC3: 11:44am On Jul 30, 2012
Some critics seem just to be comfortable with things going worse, not better. They express deep hurt at any news of improving society and the energy that they will launch to tell you that it is not real or it is not sustainable is so strong that you start feeling that this whole criticism thing is not about getting us all a better society.

Here are folks telling somebody not to use the improvements he has observed in his environment to judge the government efforts but they are comfortable using the perceived lack of the same thing IN THEIR PROXIMITY to judge the administration. No! this is not about getting us a better society, it is about validating some inner conviction that things can never be better!!! But the bad news is that it does not affect reality at all!!!

43 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 30, 2012
Recently, i noticed we've bn havin steady lite for sometimes 2 days b4 they take it & bring it back not more than five hours after. Kudos τ̅o GEJ, like it or not, my hood is in nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by debosky(m): 12:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
To be fair, the BPE appears serious about its attempt to get the power industry running as demonstrated by the appointment of Manitoba Hydro to run the transmissions company (TCN) on a management contract. Being a competent power operator itself, I hope Manitoba Hydro will be able to bring its experience to bear and improve the transmission segment of the power industry.

Any country-wide improvements in power supply are usually due to either improved generation from the hydro-electric stations or improved gas supply to the generation stations. Local power supply in any area tends to fluctuate from month to month so it's not reliable to draw a conclusion from a local, momentary improvement.

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by HammedSodiqq: 12:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
There appear to be an improvement in power. Let's commend GEJ and hope that generation continues on a positive note

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by owo(m): 12:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
Over the last five days, there has been power in my area for 4 days, 21 hrs. I think this is positive.

4 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 30, 2012
i think they are improving becaused in my area we now have 20 hours power supply on a daily basis and i ain't joking about it. Though my family is on prepaid plan bt stil on that i think i wil gve them a thumbs up this tym around.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Gonzala(f): 2:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
My folks told me the power has improved a bit. With the above testimonies i think it's true.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Jul 30, 2012
Are we already calling Manitoba's takeover an [b]improvement [/b]even before the day has ended? shocked
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by ifihearam: 2:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
my friend, for the past three days dem never blink the light for my side,i swear even fear dey catch me sef too

GEJ I BELIEVE

3 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by debosky(m): 2:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
Are we failing to comprehend the use of phrases like 'appear to be serious' and 'hope MH will be able to'? shocked shocked
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
Is someone afraid of simple QUESTION now?
Kobojunkie: Are we already calling Manitoba's takeover an [b]improvement [/b]even before the day has ended? shocked
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Rossikk(m): 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Frank-C:
Some critics seem just to be comfortable with things going worse, not better. They express deep hurt at any news of improving society and the energy that they will launch to tell you that it is not real or it is not sustainable is so strong that you start feeling that this whole criticism thing is not about getting us all a better society.

Here are folks telling somebody not to use the improvements he has observed in his environment to judge the government efforts but they are comfortable using the perceived lack of the same thing IN THEIR PROXIMITY to judge the administration. No! this is not about getting us a better society, it is about validating some inner conviction that things can never be better!!! But the bad news is that it does not affect reality at all!!!

Thank you very much. Anyone who still listens to Kobojunkie on this site needs to have their head examined. Fact is you would have to be living in a cave to not notice that power supply has IMPROVED in Nigeria. And in many areas has DRASTICALLY improved. But Kobojunkie would rather present dodgy statistics claiming power supply has worsened, something she so happens to know from faraway CANADA, even as Nigerians resident here in Nigeria are saying otherwise.

5 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by jmaine: 2:41pm On Jul 30, 2012
Citizens living in Nigeria and scattered all over the country unequivocally say Power supply has improved. . . . .A fellow tucked far away in God knows where argues in the opposite direction . . . . So amusing to the keen observer's grin

5 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by SisiKill1: 2:43pm On Jul 30, 2012
This is the problem with us. . .the two or three people for whom things have slightly improved shout the loudest drowning out the voices of those who haven't seen any changes at all.

When you tell them it is just a small change oh, they say "It could have been worst". What they don't realize is that IT CAN BE BETTER, all you need to do is stop celebrating halfsies and being undyingly grateful for the bread crumbs thrown your way.

EVERYBODY deserves 24hrs of interruptted and anything short of that should not be celebrated.

5 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
[size=14pt]How can electricity in the country have improved when

b) Generation has fallen back down over the last couple of months. It is estimated to be about 2700MW on average per day, today.How can that be an improvement from more than 3900MW we were told of about December of last year
[/size]

na juju

If your goal is to rejoice that that power supply has improved(a la increase in power rations to your area at this time) in your tiny are of your state, go right ahead and do just that. However, when you want to speak of Power at the National level, at least visit the facts rather than come off sounding like another of the many empty-brains out there who feels that as long as they have electricity in their home, all is well in NIGERIA.
It would benefit us as a whole if we outgrew this selfish way of analyzing issues and the situation on ground.

Yes, blame @Kobojunkie for telling exactly what the government reveals is the case in the Power situation. Yes, @KoboJunkie is bad for reporting the facts. [size=14pt]I guess the few Nigerians who have electricity and are able to Post on Nairaland as a result are right whilst the Nigerian Government(right there in Nigeria)in charge of the power situation is wrong, and @Kobojunkie is to blame. [/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by jmaine: 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
Frank-C:

You captured the depraved inner working's of the resident cynics transparently without flaws . . . .You too make sense brother cool

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by debosky(m): 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
Is someone afraid of asking intelligent questions?

PS - I like the whole third party, indirect questioning style. grin

1 Like

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by jmaine: 2:54pm On Jul 30, 2012
Full thread article

Brothers and sisters in Nigeria, I want to testify of a miracle I encountered this week. The water in the lower compartment of my fridge froze. Can I get a witness in the house?

You see, I first noticed that something was wrong when I went to switch on my generator sometime last week and discovered that the key to the small gen house wouldn't turn in the lock. It had been a while since I ran to it for help, and with the heavy rains, rust had set in. It took much dousing with engine oil to regain access, but that was not the end to my embarrassment. I found, to my utter dismay, that putting on the gen was a little challenging.

You know, there is a routine to these things. After months of over-use due to PHCN’s complete failure, and repeated visits to a technician, there is a routine for getting the old horse to come on. Usually, I go through it without a thought -- pull that back, turn that clockwise, twist that and pull -- just the way you get into the driver’s seat and absentmindedly do the normal things to get the car to move. But that day, I found myself a live specimen for Pavlov’s experiment on classical conditioning. It took conscious step by step effort to get the generator on. Now, guess what? By the time I was done, PHCN’s power was back.

The embarrassment got to its peak when I got home exhausted some days later and, if you are familiar with the temperament of Lagos traffic especially since we lost one lane of the third mainland to repairs, you will appreciate when I say I was exhausted. I needed a drink badly. I stumbled to the fridge, and lo and behold, all the water sachets were frozen. I almost panicked.

In my life time, water got blocked outside of the freezer! Who would believe that? I went to announce the miracle on twitter, and behold, I had many witnesses. Understandably, many are still quite sceptical to admit, but the overwhelming fact is that somehow, silently, Power has significantly improved in some parts of Nigeria.

My above experience is in addition to the fact that I am still in shock that after all the plenty noise all over the place, including threats of the January-like fuel subsidy mass protest about the increase in tariff, my bill has not changed and I am yet to obtain the prepaid meter. Friends have testified to rates more than 50% less than they paid previously. I recall Sam Amadi, the National Electricity Regulatory Commission boss, explaining at a press conference that the tariff increase would not be as pronounced as some people were making it seem. He even said for some people it would mean a reduction. I didn’t quite believe him then. Now I do.

[b]With our now near militant approach to public commentary, in which taking government to the cleaners is the primary credential for being a columnist, or, as many young folks twitter profiles now read, “youth activist”, writing a column to commend government will most certainly imply to some that I have sold out. On this matter, I am very happy to sell out. If Power stays this way and spreads to every corner of the country, I will become PHCN's number one fan and advocate. The reason is simple. Power is the key to unlocking this economy and taking a generation out of poverty. Any effort to make this happen has my total support.

I have personally followed the activities of the power minister and the NERC in the implementation of the power road map, and though there were many false starts and delays, it might be safe to conclude that the efforts are reaping fruits. When with PHCN light I was watching the night news and saw the electricity workers protesting, I felt sorry for them because regardless of how genuine their grievances might be, this will be one battle too difficult for these guys to win if power is stays stable. I must state that this improvement is neither uniform across the country nor adequate. Indeed, there are parts of Lagos that have experienced blackouts for weeks. The journey to getting stable power in Nigeria is still a long one, with a complex distribution network to be sorted out, so many old dysfunctional equipment to be taken care of, and corrupt and inept staff who had fed fat from the failures of the past to be shown the way out. However, what this ray of hope shows is that stable power is possible, and if this government can achieve this, it would change everything.[/b]

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/opinion/something-wrong-power-improving

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Olaolufred(m): 3:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
gossips:

Hmm!

I just liken to the kind of prayer I hear some Nigerian Christians say. that, even if fuel were to go for a 1000naira per litre, it won't matter to them as long as they can afford it. That I consider to be selfishness at its peak and shouldn't be displayed or even condoned by anyone.

Thank you also.
In my estate, we use to have about 12- 16 hours a day.
But anytime there is issue, our neighbour takes up the power for those times our estate has challenge.
May I ask OP this simple question,
Should those who enjoy 18 hour-a-day power in my neighbouring vicinity conlude that power situation has improved just because our own power is down?
Thanks for the Church's analogy. God won't be glad with we who claimed we are christian in this nation.
We are christian, but still changes figures in offices and steal.
we are xtian, but still connive with others to loot Nigeria dry.
When they stole the money, our pastors organize special service to thank God for an Icon.
No one ask how he became an overnite billionaire.
Pastor will only burst into tongues that could confuse God who made the tongues.
I know that greed is well seated in Nigeria, even on the Altars of the Church.
I am not glad with the whole thing. Oh why?
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by ebamma(m): 3:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
na only you dey enjoy this nepa light,me am still on generator.
Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Rossikk(m): 3:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
This is a very simple issue which someone raised earlier. In previous threads on power supply, most people would say ''Power supply has not improved. Afterall in MY area we have not had power for 3 weeks!!''. Nobody questioned their reasoning. But now when someone says ''Power supply has improved. In MY area we've had stable power for 3 weeks!!'', they are told to shut up because ''it doesn't reflect the situation in the entire country''.

In fact something is seriously wrong with some of our people.

12 Likes

Re: Something Is Wrong; Power Is Improving by Kobojunkie: 3:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
Again . . .
Kobojunkie: [size=14pt]How can electricity in the country have improved when

[/size]

na juju

It would benefit us as a whole if we outgrew this selfish way of analyzing issues and the situation on ground.

Yes, blame @Kobojunkie for telling exactly what the government reveals is the case in the Power situation. Yes, @KoboJunkie is bad for reporting the facts. [size=14pt]I guess the few Nigerians who have electricity and are able to Post on Nairaland as a result are right whilst the Nigerian Government(right there in Nigeria)in charge of the power situation is wrong, and @Kobojunkie is to blame. [/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Iara Oshiomole Stuns In Blue At Vanguard Awards / Umaru Shinkafi Is Dead / Philip Obin Escapes Death After Visiting His Village For Peace Talks. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.