Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? (10152 Views)

Wow! Greatest Response To A Man Who Said He Doesn't Believe There Is A God! / Do You Believe There's Curse Of The First Born / Two Reasons I Believe There Is A God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2012
To the religious folks, you can give many reasons why you think there is a God but why would you stop believing in God? What would make you think he doesnt exist anymore or he is just imaginary? What is that one thing that can change your stance? Please share with us.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
If you d*ied yesterday! cheesy cheesy
But on a serious note i feel death is good, dont you think grin grin grin
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
diluminati: To the religious folks, you can give many reasons why you think there is a God but why would you stop believing in God? What would make you think he doesnt exist anymore or he is just imaginary? What is that one thing that can change your stance? Please share with us.
How can one kill an imagination? Only brain damage could do that..
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by tobechi74: 3:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
If scientist make a humanbeing that would eat, think and shit.

If i end up marrying ILLUMINATI
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
tobechi74: If scientist make a humanbeing that would eat, think and shit.

If i end up marrying ILLUMINATI

Lol.. we both know you wouldn't still accept there is no God...
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Jamji: 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
tobechi74: If scientist make a humanbeing that would eat, think and shit.

What your proof that God made man?
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by wiegraf: 8:49am On Aug 01, 2012
For those in it due to indoctrination, general public opinion changes, so will they. The others ( minority, some with good intentions but ultimately selfish) will dream up a god if there wasn't one. They require it to feel special, purpose or something, as appearently this universe is a film put together just for them (starring them actually as well), with god as the audience
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by AdeniyiA(m): 1:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
when and if the sun do not shine,the air do not flow,rain do not fall,moon do not come out,day do not break,night do not fall, ...etc

3 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by UyiIredia(m): 6:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
If nothing existed I would believe there is no God. God existence is tied to the existence of reality as a whole.

6 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by ijawkid(m): 6:51pm On Aug 01, 2012
If science can bring an end to old age and death then I'll stop believing in God....

7 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by truthislight: 12:25am On Aug 02, 2012
ijawkid: If science can bring an end to old age and death then I'll stop believing in God....

Agreed. 100%

infact if any human can do just that!
DEATH
!

2 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Areaboy2(m): 4:44am On Aug 02, 2012
truthislight:

Agreed. 100%

infact if any human can do just that!
DEATH
!

Shows exactly what you guys are afraid of. Hence follow a religion that promises U life after death. Imortality!! But do you really wana live forever? Forever?. I know I don't.

Death gives meaning to d life I have. Sadly most of you that believe in imortality in your celestial North Korea (as Hitchens will put it). Don't value enough this life. :|
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Areaboy2(m): 4:47am On Aug 02, 2012
Adeniyi A.:
when and if the sun do not shine,the air do not flow,rain do not fall,moon do not come out,day do not break,night do not fall, ...etc

Basically, what U R saying is U cannot stop believing in god no matter what. Funny thing is, everything U mentioned will occur. But U won't be here to see it. 4.5 billion years from now.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Areaboy2(m): 4:52am On Aug 02, 2012
So far, haven't read anything that suggests any of you have given the topic a good thought. But why should you?. You know in your hearts there is a god. Case closed, no argument. questions like these become uncharted territory for U guys! LoL!
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by cyrexx: 6:11am On Aug 02, 2012
Many people especially nigerians are so dependent on the idea of god that that they will defend it till death, even though they have discovered that he is non-existent and made up by religions.
Its what give meaning to their lives. So trying to prove that god doesnt exist to them is like trying to remove meaning from their lives. You wont until they start thinking about this on their own.

Dont also forget that their religion teaches them that they risk going to hell if they start questioning and doubting their holy books. All these would make it difficult for them to start thinking on their own.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by cyrexx: 6:21am On Aug 02, 2012
ijawkid: If science can bring an end to old age and death then I'll stop believing in God....

even your religion, which gave you your idea of God, cant do that. Your religion only promise you an imaginative fantasy of blissful unproveable second life. Anybody can promise anything. It doesnt stop death or old age that happens to everybody. Religion only offers an imaginative consolation. Nothing more.

But let me not discourage you, keep believing your God. Since that is what give you comfort and meaning in life.
Best wishes.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by wiegraf: 7:01am On Aug 02, 2012
Well actually, quite a few futurists expect radically enhanced lifetimes (maybe even immortality of sorts) with ~30 years, and their predictions aren't baseless (but we still don't have my flying cars! We weren't promised that though). Better to not pput too much weight in that, but if it works out, what would jesus do? You still alive, don't you want to go to heaven abeg?
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by ijawkid(m): 8:55am On Aug 02, 2012
cyrexx:

even your religion, which gave you your idea of God, cant do that. Your religion only promise you an imaginative fantasy of blissful unproveable second life. Anybody can promise anything. It doesnt stop death or old age that happens to everybody. Religion only offers an imaginative consolation. Nothing more.

But let me not discourage you, keep believing your God. Since that is what give you comfort and meaning in life.
Best wishes.

Evolution teaches we evolved from an ancestor(so I heard),but can't still find out why we,and our ancestors grow old and die.....

I thought since they are playing god and feeling so right about there theory they shuld find a cure for old age....

Again??why do we grow old??

Can't we keep evolving till forever.??

Why do we degenerate instead of evolving??

1 Like

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by cyrexx: 8:57am On Aug 02, 2012
^^
you seem to always confuse atheism with evolution. Its obvious you know nothing about the established biological fact of evolution. You might as well reject every other scientific and biological facts.

Do you know that many christians subscribe to evolution and even interprete their creation story in light of scientific evidence of evolution.

You still have a lot to learn, that is, if you want to learn.
Read my post very well again and you will see that i'm not discouraging you from your religion.
Once again, best wishes.

1 Like

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by truthislight: 10:41am On Aug 02, 2012
Area_boy:

Shows exactly what you guys are afraid of. Hence follow a religion that promises U life after death. Imortality!! But do you really wana live forever? Forever?. I know I don't.

Death gives meaning to d life I have. Sadly most of you that believe in imortality in your celestial North Korea (as Hitchens will put it). Don't value enough this life. :|

this is hoping that you will give a party on your death bed.

But if you start thinking of what you have done with you useful life and what you have not done then this your statment is to be class as what? Self deceit?

What i notice God saw that will be human problem when he stop sustaining them (Adam) is what i have as real problem. (YOU WILL POSITIVELY DIE IN GENESIS).

You and co think it is just money and prosperity well, i hope it is not short sightedness,
maybe you are telling me that the former Nigeria president Yaradua was a poor man.

Dont worry, time will tell.

And i really wander if you do read other thread on this forum since u ascribed to me life after death, where i dont, belief in it, what i do believe in is a resurection of the dead, John 5:28,29.
If u dont believe in that it is understandable since you dont belief in the existence of God.

Death is not a problem, good for you.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by truthislight: 10:50am On Aug 02, 2012
Area_boy:

Basically, what U R saying is U cannot stop believing in god no matter what. Funny thing is, everything U mentioned will occur. But U won't be here to see it. 4.5 billion years from now.

why should i take this ur statement to the bank?
Is this the way you and your fellow atheist propound the theories you bet your life in?
My sympathy then.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Areaboy2(m): 11:44am On Aug 02, 2012
@ truthislight. You have made no sense whatsoever.

First of all, resurrection of the dead is different from life after death? wow. I'm compelled to stop here lol cheesy

My posts were focused on the silly write up you and your cohorts put up in view of the topic. It is important you keep in mind the subject of this thread and reason along those lines. If you do so, you can see how silly ijawkid made u guys look and u support him.

I have said nothing about quality of life, nothing about money, nothing about prosperity, nothing about being good to your neighbour, nothing about self ethics and moral standards. All i focus on here is the grounds that: keeping in mind that this is all we've got will spur a lot of people into doing the best with it.

I'm sure u do not know me, neither what i have done with my life nor how I contribute to society or making a difference in every little way. Neither do I know you. So your statement on this again is baseless
The fact is, your statement puts you under a silly light and I question that. defend it properly if u can

On your second post, WTF are you talking about? Andromeda Galaxy is on a collision course with our Milkyway galaxy. that collision is only a few billion years from now. When it happens, life as we know it will cease. Barring every other thing that can annihilate our earth before then.

I only speak on facts and evidence. but You quote a two thousand year old library of altered manuscripts put together under the name of "holy book".
Go figure undecided
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by ijawkid(m): 11:52am On Aug 02, 2012
cyrexx: ^^
you seem to always confuse atheism with evolution. Its obvious you know nothing about the established biological fact of evolution. You might as well reject every other scientific and biological facts.

Do you know that many christians subscribe to evolution and even interprete their creation story in light of scientific evidence of evolution.

You still have a lot to learn, that is, if you want to learn.
Read my post very well again and you will see that i'm not discouraging you from your religion.
Once again, best wishes.

I understand u bro....

But I'ma tell u this atheism and d theory of evolution are always birds of a feather....

Anything @ all that refutes Gods existence or d account of creation is highly upheld by atheists.....infact atheists have no choice but to believe in the evolution theory because they can't let the thought of a God in....

I am always ready to learn...

But simply tell me why we grow old??

That's all I wanna hear from ur atheist point of view.....tell me how old age started...

Tell me why our ancestors as u say and we humans must get old........
Why??

What's d cause??

Can't we keep evolving??

Why do we degenerate(old age) and return to the dust....??

I'm sincerely asking these questions.....

2 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 02, 2012
truthisdarkness, why do you always play the 'death' card? Won't you die like everyone else? Can you bet eternity that there's life after death?
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Areaboy2(m): 11:56am On Aug 02, 2012
@ Ijawkid

Mate, take a hike. The catholic church accepts evolution, although modified to suit them a little, it still hovers around the same general idea.

Your style of Christianity come from Catholicism. you should listen when they speak. They gave u the bible u use. undecided
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by truthislight: 2:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
Area_boy: @ truthislight. You have made no sense whatsoever.

First of all, resurrection of the dead is different from life after death? wow. I'm compelled to stop here lol cheesy

My posts were focused on the silly write up you and your cohorts put up in view of the topic. It is important you keep in mind the subject of this thread and reason along those lines. If you do so, you can see how silly ijawkid made u guys look and u support him.

I have said nothing about quality of life, nothing about money, nothing about prosperity, nothing about being good to your neighbour, nothing about self ethics and moral standards. All i focus on here is the grounds that: keeping in mind that this is all we've got will spur a lot of people into doing the best with it.

I'm sure u do not know me, neither what i have done with my life nor how I contribute to society or making a difference in every little way. Neither do I know you. So your statement on this again is baseless
The fact is, your statement puts you under a silly light and I question that. defend it properly if u can

On your second post, WTF are you talking about? Andromeda Galaxy is on a collision course with our Milkyway galaxy. that collision is only a few billion years from now. When it happens, life as we know it will cease. Barring every other thing that can annihilate our earth before then.

I only speak on facts and evidence. but You quote a two thousand year old library of altered manuscripts put together under the name of "holy book".
Go figure undecided

Every other point of view that does not agree with ur billion billion yrs point of view is silly because Area boy said so. Cant you see how one sided ur view is?

I should take ur billion billion yrs theory because u are an eye witness of them.

Thank you for the offer, but NO.
The offer is just for guys that have reasons to accept it, i dont.

I dont know you very well and the kind of person you are and the way u live you life as you rightly said.
But i know who i am and the way i live my live.
so, the belief in a God is ok with me, and with my ways, i have nothing to fear for with the existence of God.
I cant say for you.

When did the catholics followed the bible?
Why equate them with me? I follow that ancient book you so hate.

And note, there is a difference between dying and starting to live in the spirit realm as the catholics teach or in purgatory. That is different from my believe of dying and staying in the grave till resurection time.
Peace

1 Like

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by truthislight: 4:15pm On Aug 02, 2012
musKeeto: truthisdarkness, why do you always play the 'death' card? Won't you die like everyone else? Can you bet eternity that there's life after death?

Is it not dying that God told Adam will be the trouble that Adam will have if Adam should eat the fruit? GENESIS 2;17

If it is true that 6000 years ago or 3500 years since ancient man wrote in the bible that man will be dying on eating the fruit as you and co will call them, since they were very wrong on all they wrote like you said.
why is it you modern smart guys have not prove them wrong by putting a stop to human dying?

As smart as you are and all your evolutionist scientist (They are smart you know).
Why have they not unravel why ,human do die at best stop death?

Are you and your smart atheist conceding that what that none existing God said in GENESIS that Adam will hence only toil, grow old and die Is a fact that human cant fixe? I thought it was a bush man idea that modern man can fixe?
(I thought they can fixe all physical thing, at least am sure we are all physical and not spirit being that they cant claim not to see)

scientist that are so Good that they can tell us how the univers came about and how we came to existence, but cannot fixe the most pressing thing that kill us all. death!

How did a "fairytale", told by ancient men written down in an ancient book turn out to be a reality that science cant even understand (old age and death)?

So, mr, muskeeto, am i just playing a card or i am only stating the reality that i consider or should be considered a paramount problem?
If i should decide to stick with the bible since science dont have anything to offer on this imediete problem, is it not an inform decision to stick to what appears to me to be the only solution?
That you Guys have decided not to be interested must i join you on you nothingness?

That same old ancient book is still the book that offers the only way forward that you have all rejected.

Do you really think it is rational to join you?
If i want to commit suicide will YOU join me?

My sympathy.

2 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Areaboy2(m): 4:40pm On Aug 02, 2012
truthislight:

Is it not dying that God told Adam will be the trouble that Adam will have if Adam should eat the fruit? GENESIS 2;17

If it is true that 6000 years ago or 3500 years since ancient man wrote in the bible that man will be dying on eating the fruit as you and co will call them, since they were very wrong on all they wrote like you said.
why is it you modern smart guys have not prove them wrote by putting a stop to human dying?

As smart as you are and all your evolutionist scientist (They are smart you know).

Are you and your smart atheist conceding that what that none existing God said in GENESIS that Adam will hence only toil, grow old and die Is a fact that human cant fixe? I thought it was a bush man idea that modern man can fixe?
scientist that are so Good that they can tell us how we came to existence cannot fixe the most pressing need.

How did a "fairytale", told by ancient men written down in an ancient book turn out to be a reality that science cant even understand (old age and death)?

So, mr, muskeeto, am i just playing a card or i am only stating the reality that i consider or should be considered a paramount problem?
If i should decide to stick with the bible since science dont have anything to offer on this imediete problem, is it not an inform decision to stick to what appears to me to be the only solution?
That you Guys have decided not to be interested must i join you on you nothingness?

That same old ancient book is still the book that offers the only way forward that you have all rejected.

My sympathy.

what kind of loving, caring, all knowing, all powerful god will punish everyone for the sins of two people? that sounds cruel to me and I dont wana identify with a god like that. He didnt even stop there. He punished all living things to die too because Adam ate a DAMN fruit he put in the centre of the garden for the strangest reason I can ever think of. Again your explanation here will be "god knows best".

So much for creating us in his image and likeness. If I have something I dont want my kids playing with, I'll put it away where they can never find it. I wont put it right in the middle of the living room and when I come back I punish every single member of my house for what my kids did. Punish them for eternity to toil, suffer and die.

But then later sends his own son to get killed first of all so he can forgive the original sin he caused in the first place?? what the fck is this? North Korea?? angry only to promise them eternal life if they believed in the son that died on the cross. Still have the balls to say he Loves us? this is sick sad

He does whatever he likes and we are not allowed to question him. He knows the beginning and the end so in away he and his angels are playing games with us? If Autocracy or dictatorship ever needed personification, ywhw excels with flying colours.

I want a perfect, spotless, consistent God.

show me a god like that and i'll jump back on the religious bandwagon undecided

Some how u fail to understand the importance of dying. would you worship god if you didnt die? i'm sure the answer is NO!! so in away you guys are the hypocrites here.
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 02, 2012
truthislight:
So did Adam die?

truthislight:
why is it you modern smart guys have not prove them wrote by putting a stop to human dying?
Can you rephrase this?

truthislight:
(I thought they can fixe all physical thing, at least am sure we are all physical and not spirit being that they cant claim not to see)
I'm not an atheist....

truthislight:
scientist that are so Good that they can tell us how the univers came about and how we came to existence, but cannot fixe the most pressing thing that kill us all. death!
Death kills us?

truthislight:
Your obsession with death is beginning to bother me. Hope you're not suicidal...

truthislight:
So you hold onto the Bible, till maybe scientists find a way to cure death? Good choice..

truthislight:

My sympathy.
Great to know that your fear of death is what keeps you close to God.. May you never die...
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by truthislight: 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2012
Area_boy:

what kind of loving, caring, all knowing, all powerful god will punish everyone for the sins of two people? that sounds cruel to me and I dont wana identify with a god like that. He didnt even stop there. He punished all living things to die too because Adam ate a DAMN fruit he put in the centre of the garden for the strangest reason I can ever think of. Again your explanation here will be "god knows best".

So much for creating us in his image and likeness. If I have something I dont want my kids playing with, I'll put it away where they can never find it. I wont put it right in the middle of the living room and when I come back I punish every single member of my house for what my kids did. Punish them for eternity to toil, suffer and die.

But then later sends his own son to get killed first of all so he can forgive the original sin he caused in the first place?? what the fck is this? North Korea?? angry only to promise them eternal life if they believed in the son that died on the cross. Still have the balls to say he Loves us? this is sick sad

He does whatever he likes and we are not allowed to question him. He knows the beginning and the end so in away he and his angels are playing games with us? If Autocracy or dictatorship ever needed personification, ywhw excels with flying colours.

I want a perfect, spotless, consistent God.

show me a god like that and i'll jump back on the religious bandwagon undecided

Some how u fail to understand the importance of dying. would you worship god if you didnt die? i'm sure the answer is NO!! so in away you guys are the hypocrites here.

YOU dont know what the bible teach.

May be you followed this prosperity churches without reading the bible.

Study it for a change.
Or was it catholic that dont read the bible?
Peace though
Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by DeepSight(m): 5:02pm On Aug 02, 2012
@ Area boy. . . .

The Bible may be altered, and certainly contains truth as well as falsehood and myth. However one should still try and discern deeply when looking at some of its legends. They could be symbols.

About the garden of eden which you mentioned, look deeper into the story - - - >

Could it be that the legend related in Genesis regarding the fall of man in Eden is not a reference to an event that occured in this world, but rather describes the departure of the spirit of mankind from the eternal spiritual realm into the world of matter?

This would tally with many things. A forbidden fruit would be the world of matter. Entering into it would bring about knowledge of good and evil, as presumably there is no evil in the realm from which the spirit came. Or there is just pure neutrality. Casting out man from the garden would be sending the spirit out of the spiritual realm into the world of matter. Wearing animal skins is a clear indicator of the physical bodies that man must wear to live in the physical world. Such bodies bear close resemblances to animal bodies. It is instructive that the fruit is given by the woman, since it is by women that we are born into the world of matter. On top of all that God promises that if man eats the fruit he shall die. It is certain that death is only known to man once he has entered the world of matter. Above all the reference to the Lord God strolling in the Garden and communing daily with man there on a one to one basis indicates that this was a spiritual realm where God's presence was.

Most instructively however, the TREE OF LIFE was said to reside in the garden. Crucially, it is said to be guarded by cherubs and a flaming sword after the fall of man. That says it all; it could not have been this earth. It was another realm. The ultimate realm.

2 Likes

Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 02, 2012
Deep Sight: @ Area boy. . . .

The Bible may be altered, and certainly contains truth as well as falsehood and myth. However one should still try and discern deeply when looking at some of its legends. They could be symbols.

About the garden of eden which you mentioned, look deeper into the story - - - >

Could it be that the legend related in Genesis regarding the fall of man in Eden is not a reference to an event that occured in this world, but rather describes the departure of the spirit of mankind from the eternal spiritual realm into the world of matter?

This would tally with many things. A forbidden fruit would be the world of matter. Entering into it would bring about knowledge of good and evil, as presumably there is no evil in the realm from which the spirit came. Or there is just pure neutrality. Casting out man from the garden would be sending the spirit out of the spiritual realm into the world of matter. Wearing animal skins is a clear indicator of the physical bodies that man must wear to live in the physical world. Such bodies bear close resemblances to animal bodies. It is instructive that the fruit is given by the woman, since it is by women that we are born into the world of matter. On top of all that God promises that if man eats the fruit he shall die. It is certain that death is only known to man once he has entered the world of matter. Above all the reference to the Lord God strolling in the Garden and communing daily with man there on a one to one basis indicates that this was a spiritual realm where God's presence was.

Most instructively however, the TREE OF LIFE was said to reside in the garden. Crucially, it is said to be guarded by cherubs and a flaming sword after the fall of man. That says it all; it could not have been this earth. It was another realm. The ultimate realm.
And Satan?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oritsejafor Re-elected As CAN President / Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days / How To Be A Nigerian Pastor – By Segun Dada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.