Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,345 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:51 PM

University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? (42830 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / List Of Universities In Ghana Accredited & Recognized In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
I just went through the University of Nigeria, Nsukka Alumni list and it was out of this world. I don't know if there's any other university that can beat it. I could be wrong though. Let's see the list of alumni from different universities in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
Politics, Law and Government

Lam Adesina, pioneer class of 1963; Governor of Oyo State, Nigeria (1999–2003)
Olisa Agbakoba, class of 1977 (Law); Senior Advocate of Nigeria; founder of Nigeria's foremost human rights organization, the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) and former president of the Nigerian Bar Association (2006 - 2008)
Gabriel O. Ajayi, class of 1965 (Physics); Professor of Communications, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; first Director General, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Abuja
Dora Akunyili, Federal Minister of Information and Communication, Nigeria (2008–2010) and Director-General, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)(2001 – )
E.C. Amucheazi, former Director-General, National Orientation Agency
Sullivan Chime, Governor of Enugu State, Nigeria (2007 – date)
Ike Ekweremadu, Deputy Senate President, Nigeria
Joy Emordi, class of 1979; Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Anambra North Senatorial Zone, Anambra State) 2003 -
Akpan Isemin, Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria (1992–1993)
Ousman Jammeh, Gambian Foreign Minister (2009–2010)
Gregory Ngaji, class of 1977; Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Cross River North Senatorial constituency, Cross River) 2003 -
Chris Ngige, Governor of Anambra State, Nigeria (2003–2007) and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Anambra State, Anambra Central Senatorial District), 2011 – date
Chimaroke Nnamani, Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Enugu East Senatorial District, Enugu State) and Governor of Enugu State (1999–2007)
Peter Obi, Governor of Anambra State, Nigeria (2006 – date)
Peter Odili, Governor of Rivers State, Nigeria (1999–2007)
Osita Ogbu, Former Economic Adviser to the President and Minister of National Planning Commission of Nigeria
Kanayo KGB Oguakwa, class of 1987, Member, House of Representatives, Federal Republic of Nigeria(Aninri/Awgu/Oji River Federal Constituency, Enugu State) 2003 -
Fabian Osuji, former Federal Minister of Education
Oserheimen Osunbor, Governor of Edo State, Nigeria (2007–2008) and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Edo State, Edo Central Senatorial District), 1999–2007
Niki Tobi, first person to earn a PhD in Law from University of Nigeria (1983); Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Nigeria (2002–2010)
G.T.G. Toby, pioneer class of 1963 and former Deputy Governor, Rivers State, Nigeria
Patrick Utomi, Presidential candidate for the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in the Nigerian April 2007 elections and former Director of the Center for Applied Economics, Lagos Business School, Pan African University

6 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
Business

Michael Ade-Ojo, class of 1965 (Business Administration); founder of Elizade Nigeria Limited, major distributors of Toyota Motors in Nigeria
Assisi Asobie, Chairman of the Nigeria Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative (NEITI) and former President, Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) Nigeria
Cathy Echeozo, Deputy Managing Director, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc
Godwin Emefiele, Group Managing Director/CEO, Zenith Bank Plc, Nigeria
O'tega Emerhor, class of 1983 (Accountancy); Vice Chairman/Group CEO, Standard Alliance Insurance Plc
Obiageli Ezekwesili, Vice President (Africa Region), World Bank and Federal Minister of Education (2006–2007) and Solid Minerals Development (2005–2006), Nigeria
Chima Ibeneche, former Managing Director, Nigeria LNG Limited and former, Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO)
Gerald Ilukwe, Managing Director/CEO, Galaxy Backbone Plc and former, General Manager of Microsoft Nigeria
Emmanuel C. Iwuanyanwu, Businessman
Tunde Lemo, Deputy Governor (Operations), Central Bank of Nigeria and former Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Wema Bank Plc, Nigeria
Okey Nwuke, Executive Director, Institutional Banking, Access Bank Plc, Nigeria
Emeka Onwuka, Chairman, Enterprise Bank and former Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Diamond Bank Plc, Nigeria
Arunma Oteh, Director-General, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Nigeria and Vice-President for Corporate Services, African Development Bank Group (AfDB) (2006–2009)
Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Governor Central Bank of Nigeria (2004–2009)
Herbert Wigwe, Group Deputy Managing Director and Co-founder, Access Bank Plc, Nigeria

Cyril N Enweze, Director IMF -Fmr, Vice President ADB-Fmr, Vice President IFAD, Rome - Fmr
[edit]
Science, Technology, Engineering and Medicine
Chukwuma Anyanwu, Pharmacist, Epidemiologist and Zoologist
Charles Chidume, Professor of Mathematics, President, African University of Science and Technology (AUST), Abuja, Nigeria and Mathematician, International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy
Okwesilieze Nwodo, Governor of Enugu State, Nigeria (1992 – 1993)
Pius N. Okeke, Professor of Physics and first person to earn a PhD in Physics (1975) from the University of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
Academia

Ola-Rotimi Matthew Ajayi, pioneer Vice Chancellor, Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara State (2011 - ); Professor of Political Science
Abhulimen Richard Anao, Vice Chancellor, University of Benin, Nigeria (1999–2004)
Christian C. Anieke, pioneer Vice Chancellor, Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu (2009 - ); Professor of English and Catholic Priest
Boniface C.E. Egboka, Vice Chancellor, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State (June 2009 - ); Professor of Environmental Hydrogeology
James Epoke, Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar (2010 - ); Professor of Microbiology
Chibuzo Ogbuagu, Vice Chancellor, Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State; Professor of Economics
Ogwo Ekeoma Ogwo, pioneer Vice Chancellor, Renaissance University, Ugbawka, Enugu State (2006 - 2011) and former, Vice Chancellor, Abia State University (2000 - 2005); Professor of Marketing
Austin Ilochi Okafor,(SAN), former Vice Chancellor, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka;Former Attorney General in the old Anambra state; Profesor of Law.
Jacob K. Olupona, Professor of African Religious Traditions and Chair of the Committee on African studies at the Harvard Divinity School with a joint appointment as Professor of African and African American Studies in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University
J.O. Onah, former Vice Chancellor, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Nigeria; Professor of Marketing
Celestine O. E. Onwuliri, former Vice-Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State (2006 - 2011) and acting Vice Chancellor, University of Jos; Professor of Zoology
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
Faculty (Past and Present)

Chinua Achebe, Emeritus Professor of English, 1985
Adiele Afigbo, renowned Professor of History (1966–1992)
Samuel A. Aluko, professor of Economics and Chairman of the National Economic Intelligence Committee (NEIC)
El Anatsui, Africa's most famous artist and Professor of Sculpture
Alexander Animalu, Emeritus Professor of Physics and former Research Scientist, Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States of America; former President, Nigerian Academy of Science and Director-General, National Mathematical Centre, Abuja
Anya O. Anya, Professor of Zoology and former, President, Nigerian Academy of Science
Eme Awa, Professor of Political Science and Chairman, National Electoral Commission of Nigeria (NECON), 1987 – 1989
Michael J.C. Echeruo, pioneer Vice-Chancellor, Imo State University (1981 - 1988); Professor of English
James O.C. Ezeilo, Professor of Mathematics, former Vice-Chancellor, University of Nigeria and Bayero University Kano; pioneer Director-General, National Mathematical Center, Abuja; one of a trio of mathematicians (with Chike Obi and Adegoke Olubummo) who pioneered modern mathematics research in Nigeria
Babs Fafunwa, Emeritus Professor of Education; First Dean of the Faculty of Education and Acting Vice-Chancellor, University of Nigeria (1964 - 1966); Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and the first Nigerian recipient of a doctoral degree in education; former Federal Minister of Education
Gaius Igboeli, Professor of Animal Science, Vice-Chancellor, Paul University; former Vice-Chancellor, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Benue State and former, Pro-Chancellor, Enugu State University of Science and Technology
O.C. Iloeje, Professor of Mechanical Engineering; former Commissioner (Research and Development), Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Abuja; former Director, Energy Planning and Analysis, Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN), Abuja
Eni Njoku, Professor of Botanist; First Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos, 1962 – 1965 and Vice-Chancellor, University of Nigeria, 1966 – 1967
Augustine N. Njoku-Obi, Professor of Virology; Developer of Cholera vaccine during the Nigerian-Biafran War
Ben O. Nwabueze, Professor of Law
Michael A. Nwachuku, renowned Professor of Electronic Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri; First Dean, Faculty of Engineering and First Head, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Nigeria
Osita D.I. Nwokah, Professor of Control Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, United States and former Chairman of the School of Mechanical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
Thomas C. Nwodo, Professor of Electrical Engineering, former Acting Vice-Chancellor, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (1998), co-founder and first President, Internet Society (ISOC), Nigeria Chapter; visiting Professor, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
Chukuedu Nwokolo, Emeritus Professor of Medicine, first Head, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine and co-founder, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
Humphrey Nwosu, Professor of Political Science and Chairman, National Electoral Commission of Nigeria (NECON), 1989 – 1993
Ikenna Nzimiro, Distinguished Social Anthropologist
Chuka O.G. Obah, former Vice-Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
Chukuka Okonjo, Professor of Economics and first Nigerian Head of Economics Department; former Director, United Nations Regional Institute for Population Studies, University of Ghana; former Director, Centre for Population Studies, University of Ibadan
Samuel Okoye, renowned Professor of Astrophysics
Gilbert O. Onuaguluchi, Professor of Pharmacology and former Vice-Chancellor, University of Jos (1975–1978)
Cyril A. Onwumechili, Professor of Physics and former Vice-Chancellor, University of Ife and Anambra State University of Technology; first indigenous Head, Department of Physics, University of Nigeria
Bernard Maruwa Amalaha, Department of education,(1966-1974), former Dean school of education, Alvan Ikoku college of education (1974-1979)

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by omayyi: 1:34pm On Jul 31, 2012
UNN is in the past, dude. It's not even among the top 10 in Naija at the moment.

7 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
omayyi :
UNN is in the past, dude. It's not even among the top 10 in Naija at the moment.
I assume you attended at least a secondary school. This thread is not about the best university but about the school that has produced the best brains. Pls get your head out of your azz.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by KayDee4: 1:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
[size=13pt] add my name to that list cheesy cool cool [/size]

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
Kay-Dee:
[size=13pt] add my name to that list cheesy cool cool [/size]
UNN? what awards have you won?
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by edoyad(m): 1:51pm On Jul 31, 2012
No past president or Vice president, buahahahaa

2 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
edoyad: No past president or Vice president, buahahahaa
Apart from GEJ and maybe Yaradua, how many past presidents attended a university?

20 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:59pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:
I assumed you attended at least a secondary school. This thread is not about the best university but about the school that has produced the best brains. Pls get your head out of your azz.

Nna men!! Ochi ato gbue la'm o...

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:01pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:
Apart from GEJ and maybe Yaradua, how many past presidents attended a university?

GBAM!

4 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
i think ABU has produced the most recognised alumni member. recall during obj's tenure there was a time ABU produced about 12 members at the FEC meeting as ministers

7 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
torkaka: i think ABU has produced the most recognised alumni member. recall during obj's tenure there was a time ABU produced about 12 members at the FEC meeting as ministers
Pls name some Alumni of ABU??
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls name some Alumni of ABU??
dude really? ok-just think of any educated prominent recognizable person from the north and you are answered!

3 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 4:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
torkaka:
dude really? ok-just think of any educated prominent recognizable person from the north and you are answered!
Now compare those recognizable people from the north with the list i posted here.

5 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:
Now compare those recognizable people from the north with the listed i posted here.
are we comparing and contrasting or talking about recognizable alumni? has it even occurred to you that UI & OAU also have a arguably larger number of recognisable alumni? or you started this thread to massage your ego cry

9 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 4:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
torkaka:
are we comparing and contrasting or talking about recognizable alumni? has it even occurred to you that UI & OAU also have a arguably larger number of recognisable alumni? or you started this thread to massage your ego cry
Pls read the title of the thread.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls read the title of the thread.

ok, show me a former unn student that was president and i will show you umoru yar adua
show me the vice president unn has and iwill show you nemadi sambo
show me the nnpc gmd unn has and i will show you shehu ladan,abubakar yar adua & andrew yakubu(the present)
show me a former first lady unn and i will show you turai

lets start from there. thank you

8 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
torkaka:

ok, show me a former unn student that was president and i will show you umoru yar adua
show me the vice president unn has and iwill show you nemadi sambo
show me the nnpc gmd unn has and i will show you shehu ladan,abubakar yar adua & andrew yakubu(the present)
show me a former first lady unn and i will show you turai

lets start from there. thank you
Why are all these people politicians? Show me the technocrats that have come out of ABU.

12 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by PhysicsQED(m): 5:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
That would have to be the University of Ibadan, easily. It's not close.

4 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 5:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
PhysicsQED: That would have to be the University of Ibadan, easily. It's not close.
Possibly. Pls name some of their alumni that you know and let's take it from there.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by tpia5: 5:29pm On Jul 31, 2012
just say famous alumni of a particular school, jeez.

everything is not an unnecessary and ill-informed competition.

what on earth is wrong with people nowadays.

3 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:
Why are all these people politicians? Show me the technocrats that have come out of ABU.
then change your topic to read "which university in nigeria has produced the most technocrats" and we will start from there

4 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 31, 2012
It has to be Uniport, One President, 5 Governors , many Legislators, including my-humble-self cool
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by revomind(m): 6:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
The thread says 'most recognizable'..

Hands down its ABU.

No need for sentiments.

Donald Duke, Obong Victor Attah, Ahmed Makarfi, Ahmed Muazu (former governors), Ibrahim Shema (katsina gov)... Enough with governors. There was a time we had 12 governors from ABU.

El-Rufai, Ribadu, Sanusi, Nenadi Usman, Katsina Alu, Musdapher, Uwais, Kutigi, Belgore (cjn's)

Let's chill.

12 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Acidosis(m): 6:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
afam4eva:

now that the educated ones are now ruling the nation, people are crying and weeping everyday. Thats enough reason to ban formal education in the country.
PhD upon PhD yet nothing to show for it.

4 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 31, 2012
revomind: The thread says 'most recognizable'..

Hands down its ABU.

No need for sentiments.

Donald Duke, Obong Victor Attah, Ahmed Makarfi, Ahmed Muazu (former governors), Ibrahim Shema (katsina gov)... Enough with governors. There was a time we had 12 governors from ABU.

El-Rufai, Ribadu, Sanusi, Nenadi Usman, Katsina Alu, Musdapher, Uwais, Kutigi, Belgore (cjn's)

Let's chill.
help me tell them!

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Handsomegod(m): 6:51pm On Jul 31, 2012
The poster created a thread for everyone of us to showcase our individual Alma Mata Alumni and like a volcano waiting to erupt,many folks on the tread already started doing what they know best(trashing whatever comes on board!!)Truth be told,the litany of UNN Alumni is intimidating as much as i know other Universities that have similitude of them.Please make this discourse healthy for LAWD's sake! smiley wink

3 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
revomind: The thread says 'most recognizable'..

Hands down its ABU.

No need for sentiments.

Let's chill.

Is that all? If you look closely at UNNs list, you can see some internationally renowned academic/politcal/business/ figures.

3 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
Great Ife

Name all the Greatest activist in Nigeria

Products of O A U.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinenye Gloria Enukorah Is UNIZIK Nursin Best Graduating Student With 4.74 CGPA / Finally Ciroma Chuckwuma Adekunle Has Pass WAEC (pic) / Sexual Assault, Corruption: UNICAL Law Students Protest Against Cyril Ndifon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.