Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? (42867 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / List Of Universities In Ghana Accredited & Recognized In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Evie007: 12:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
safarigirl:

90% of names here are northerners and are in governmental positions

Everyone knows that Nigerian Federal Character Commission gives 60% of postitions to northerners, 25% to South Westerners and 10% to South Southerners, leaving the SE with 5%, this is mostly due to the Biafran effect, and the fear of Ibo secession.

Everyone also knows that Bribery and Corruption is what gets you into government office (and keeps you there) 85% of the time.

Please people should list names of those who have an HONEST living in Nigeria.

That being said, I may not have a list, but I'm guessing ...

1. University of Ibadan

2. University of Nigeria Nsukka

3. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria

4.University of Ile-Ife

5. University of Lagos.....
University of maiduguri i have just one group on my list BOKO HARAM!!!!!

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by dapachez: 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
A roll call of uniben alumni that i can remember Richard Mofe Damijo - Actor Omohan Ebhodaghe - poet/novelist Enate Ogedegbe - CEO Daynat Sabina Umeh - MBGN Sheni Danjuma - diplomat Marvel Akpoyibo Amb. Grant Ebiobuche - diplomat Prince Raphael Okojie - educationist and ICT consultant Alban Ofili Okonkwo - industrialist Victor Uwaifo - singer James Ibori - !!!@@@!!! Prof Friday Okonofua - honorary adviser on health to then president obasanjo Dr R. Enabulele present chairman Nigeria medical association Dr Bazuaye - pioneer in stem cell research in africa Major R.M Ifanse - major/chief instructor nigeria army school of signals Babnatunnde Raji Fashola - governor of lagos state
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by joshuaidibia(m): 12:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
The Ahmadu Bello University is
notable for producing numerous
Nigerian Leaders including many
state governors and Ministers.
Amongst the alumni of the
institution are:
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, GCFR. Former
President, Federal Republic of Nigeria
Namadi Sambo, current vice
president,Federal Republic of Nigeria
Dahiru Musdapher, Current Chief
Justice of Nigeria
Atiku Abubakar GCON, Former Vice
President,Federal Republic of Nigeria
Oladipo Diya,GCON, Former Vice
President/CGS, Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Ghali Umar Na'Abba, Former
Speaker, House of Representative,
Nigeria
Sunday Awoniyi, Northern Yoruba
Leader,Former Chairman ACF
Aminu Bello Masri, Former [speaker]
House of Representatives
Usman Bayero Nafada, Former
Deputy Speaker, House of
Representatives
Ayodele Awojobi, Scientist and
Professor at University of Lagos
Attahiru JegaProfessor, Chairman,
Independent National Electoral
Commission (INEC)
Mansur Muhtar, Executive Director of
the World Bank
Mohammed Bello Adoke,Minister of
Justice & Attorney General of the
Federation
Nnenadi Usman, Former Finance
Minister
Turai Yar'Adua, Former First Lady
Olusegun Obasanjo Jnr., Architect
and Son of Former President
Olusegun Obasanjo
Shehu Ladan, Former GMD, NNPC
Jerry Gana, Former Information
Minister
Idris Legbo Kutigi, Former Chief
Justice of Nigeria
Rilwanu Lukman, Former Secretary
General OPEC & Petroleum Minister
Nuhu Ribadu, Former Chairman, EFCC
Ibrahim Lamorde, Current Chairman,
EFCC
Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Former FCT
Minister
Donald Duke, former Cross River
state governor
Isa Yuguda,Governor, Bauchi State
Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, Governor,
Nasarawa State
Shamsudeen Usman,Minister of
National Planning
Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo,
Governor, Gombe State
Usman Saidu Nasamu Dakingari,
Governor, Kebbi State
Ibrahim Geidam,Governor, Yobe
State
Danbaba Danfulani Suntai, Governor,
Taraba State
Bukar Abba Ibrahim, Former
Governor, Yobe State
Mohammed Bawa, former Ekiti State
governor
Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-
Kanemi , Shehu of Borno
Kabiru Ibrahim Gaya, former Kano
state governorave fixed some links
and added needed spaces
Zainab Abdulkadir Kure, politician
Sanusi Lamido, Governor of the
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
Ahmed Makarfi, former Kaduna state
governor
Adamu Mu'azu, former Bauchi State
governor
Rebecca Ndjoze-Ojo, politician
Aminu Safana, doctor/politician
Ibrahim Shekarau, former Kano state
governor
Ibrahim Shema, Katsina State
governor
Ussif Rashid Sumaila, economist
Ibrahim H. Umar, former Vice
Chancellor and scientist.
Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa, Kaduna
state governor
Reginald Ihejiahi - M.D. & Chief
Executive Officer of Fidelity Bank Plc
Iya Mohamed, Managing Director,
SODECOTON; president FECAFOOT;
member of FIFA world cup
committee; member of CPDM in
Cameroon
Abayomi Awoniyi (Kogi State)
Deputy Governor
Professor Seth Sunday Ajayi,Wildlife
Conservation Expert(1994 UNEP
Global 500 Environmental
Achievement Laureate For Africa)
Lantana Usman, Author and
Professor

2 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by xrazzy(m): 12:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
TEAM ABU FOR SURE..... TO ADD TO THE UNENDING LIST, ANOTHER OUSTANDING ALUMNUS OF ABU IS PROFESSOR GABRIEL ONYIBO, GAGUT (GOD ALMIGHTY GRAND UNIFIED THEORY) PROPOUNDER AND 2-TIME NOMINEE OF THE PRESTIGIOUS NOBEL PRIZE FOR SCIENCE

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by olusogo: 12:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
It is amazing to see a list comprising alumni of University of Ibadan being claimed by enthusiasts of other universities. Professor Ango Abdullahi was alumnus of U.I. He was honored by the NAAS, University of Ibadan branch in 2003 at their Maiden Alumni Lecture delivered by Emeritus Professor Adenuga Oyenuga(rtd). He graduated in 1965.

The fact is that you can not beat the reach. University of Ibadan stands out when you are writing history of who is who in Nigeria. The Premier University is equal to the rest.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by tunapawizzy: 12:48pm On Oct 18, 2012
soulamanne: Am an ife alumnus but IMO,UNN is it.
In this order;
UNN
Unilag
OAU
UI
GOOD ONE however i think ABU should be squeezed somewhere between unilag and UI
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by tunnababz(m): 12:57pm On Oct 18, 2012
you are so on point. When Ayo Falase was VC in UI, he went for a VC's conference, and more than 70% of the attendees were UI alumni

olusogo: It is amazing to see a list comprising alumni of University of Ibadan being claimed by enthusiasts of other universities. Professor Ango Abdullahi was alumnus of U.I. He was honored by the NAAS, University of Ibadan branch in 2003 at their Maiden Alumni Lecture delivered by Emeritus Professor Adenuga Oyenuga(rtd). He graduated in 1965.

The fact is that you can not beat the reach. University of Ibadan stands out when you are writing history of who is who in Nigeria. The Premier University is equal to the rest.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by dabrake(m): 12:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Why are all these people politicians? Show me the technocrats that have come out of ABU.
abu qada, abdulmutallab, . . .
World class terrorists. They have the ability to penetrate the white house's defence. Una unn alumni fit?
Atiku, ciroma, . . .
Bastaaad billionaire terrorist sponsors. You guy's got only odili.
Gen. Sani Abacha, . . . I need not explain.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Apart from GEJ and maybe Yaradua, how many past presidents attended a university?

And if these two are representative of what a university education can give, I do not want a university degree!

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by kozykid(m): 1:17pm On Oct 18, 2012
Some of the distinguishe alumni from the university of first choice and nations pride (unilag) Wande Abimbola, Yoruba professor
Wale Adenuga, publisher/film producer
Francis Agu, actor
Omowunmi Akinnifesi, public relations
consultant
Bisi Alimi, gay rights activist[4]
Daré Art-Aladé, singer
Adewale Ayuba, singer
Regina Askia, actress former Miss
Unilag
Philip Begho, writer
Stella Damasus, actress
Ufuoma Ejenobor, model/actress
Grace Ekpiwhre, former minister
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu, founders of
LAGbook[5]
Eldee, rapper
Obiageli Ezekwesili, accountant
Kayode Fayemi, current Ekiti governor
Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, actress
Matilda Kerry, doctor
Oliver Mbamara, lawyer
Richard Mofe Damijo, actor
Tony Momoh, lawyer
Genevieve Nnaji, actress
Ramsey Nouah, actor
Chinenye Ochuba, former MBGN Left
before graduation
Bayo Ojo, lawyer
Ikedi Ohakim, former Imo governor
Afolabi Olabimtan, writer
Dele Olojede, journalist
Simbo Olorunfemi, writer/television
producer
Mike Omoighe, artist
Helen Ovbiagele, writer
Joke Silva, actress
Ganiyu Solomon, politician
Farida Mzamber Waziri, EFCC chairman
Kunlé Adeyem
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by francini(m): 1:17pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Apart from GEJ and maybe Yaradua, how many past presidents attended a university?

Dr. Alex Ekweme Former Vice President of Nigeria
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
francini:

Dr. Alex Ekweme Former Vice President of Nigeria
Does President mean Vice-President in another language?SMH
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
kozykid: Some of the distinguishe alumni from the university of first choice and nations pride (unilag) Wande Abimbola, Yoruba professor
Wale Adenuga, publisher/film producer
Francis Agu, actor
Omowunmi Akinnifesi, public relations
consultant
Bisi Alimi, gay rights activist[4]
Daré Art-Aladé, singer
Adewale Ayuba, singer
Regina Askia, actress former Miss
Unilag
Philip Begho, writer
Stella Damasus, actress
Ufuoma Ejenobor, model/actress
Grace Ekpiwhre, former minister
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu, founders of
LAGbook[5]
Eldee, rapper
Obiageli Ezekwesili, accountant
Kayode Fayemi, current Ekiti governor
Kate Henshaw-Nuttal, actress
Matilda Kerry, doctor
Oliver Mbamara, lawyer
Richard Mofe Damijo, actor
Tony Momoh, lawyer
Genevieve Nnaji, actress
Ramsey Nouah, actor
Chinenye Ochuba, former MBGN Left
before graduation
Bayo Ojo, lawyer
Ikedi Ohakim, former Imo governor
Afolabi Olabimtan, writer
Dele Olojede, journalist
Simbo Olorunfemi, writer/television
producer
Mike Omoighe, artist
Helen Ovbiagele, writer
Joke Silva, actress
Ganiyu Solomon, politician
Farida Mzamber Waziri, EFCC chairman
Kunlé Adeyem
This just confirms what i said earlier.

afam4eva:
Unilag takes the cake when it comes to the Entertainment industry. But they're lagging behind in other spheres.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by kozykid(m): 1:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
Oda notable ones include - the Vice-Presidential Candidate of the
Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011
presidential election, Pastor Tunde Bakare;
- wife of the governor of Ogun State, Mrs.
Olufunso Amosun;
- Minister of the Interior, Mr. Abba Moro;
- Deputy Speaker of the House of
Representatives, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha;
- Inspector-General of Police, Mr. M.D
Mohammed;
- Nigeria’s High Commissioner to the UK,
Alhaji Dalhatu Tafida;
- Minister of Sports, Mallam Bolaji
Abdullahi; and
- Minority Leader in the House of Reps, Mr.
Femi Bajabiamila.
- Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi;
- the General Overseer of the Redeemed
Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch
Adeboye;
- Senate Majority leader, Senator Victor
Ndoma-Egba (SAN);
- former Lagos State Deputy Governor, Mrs.
Sarah Sosan; and
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by kekerazi(m): 1:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
There is no doubt UNN should have the Most Recognised Alumni.it happens to be the 1st indigenous University in Nigeria..Proud to have been a student of that Great institution though I must confess UNN is Living on past glories.. The present VC is doing his possible Best to restore that institution back to its Glory days,he shall get there.I was happy to have seen my Lecturer's name on that List Prof O.C ILoeje who Taught us Heat and Mass transfer and power Plant engineering..GREAT LIONS and LIONESSES.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by patostation(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
[omayyi ]UNN is in the past, dude. It's not even among the top 10 in Naija at the moment. [/quote]

That is how some of you fail WAEC. They ask you question A, and you are answering question B! Anyway do you know how universities are rated? Do you know that a university might be the best but is if it does not supply information needed by the rating agencies, it will not be rated high? True, University of Ilorin has been the highest rated university in Nigeria. But meeen we know ourselves more than American rating agencies. UNILAG dey there, UNN dey there, OAU dey, UI dey, ABU dey self; and we Nigerians know the stuff these institutions are made of. This is not taking anything away from some private universities.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
kekerazi: There is no doubt UNN should have the Most Recognised Alumni.it happens to be the 1st indigenous University in Nigeria..Proud to have been a student of that Great institution though I must confess UNN is Living on past glories.. The present VC is doing his possible Best to restore that institution back to its Glory days,he shall get there.I was happy to have seen my Lecturer's name on that List Prof O.C ILoeje who Taught us Heat and Mass transfer and power Plant engineering..GREAT LIONS and LIONESSES.
YET AGAIN ANOTHER PERSON FAILS A SIMPLE JAMB QUESTION.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by ACM10: 1:48pm On Oct 18, 2012
Chei! Afam omitted my name from the list of the alumni of Lions Republic. Don't worry, someday, the world will hear me roar for all the right reasons.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
YET AGAIN ANOTHER PERSON FAILS A SIMPLE JAMB QUESTION.

the quality of UNN graduates!! grin grin grin
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by AkinDavid2: 1:52pm On Oct 18, 2012
This is one thread I'll keep liking on NL...Academic prowess.. cheesy
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
I am a proud product of Ife, but I concede this is between ABU and UNN. The reason why this is so is because while almost everybody that mattered in the North went to ABU, almost everybody that matters in the east also went to UNN, but the West has UI, Ife and Unilag, three universities to share its own.

Between 60's to 80's, everyone from the East and North dreamt of UNN and ABU respectively, while Ife, Lag and UI shared that of the West.

This is not absolute, as I am aware that there are many Yorubas that schooled in ABU in particular and UNN too, and vice versa for other regions, but it explains teh situation to a very large extent.

6 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Olaone1: 1:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
UI is number one. The uni sits on a special stool.

Many leading doctors in South Africa attended UI. I mean many black South African doctors.
UI's South African list is enough to frighten you'all cheesy

Some of them are political leaders in SA today
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Olaone1: 1:59pm On Oct 18, 2012
In politics, ABU is number one. But the uni accounts for nothing in other spheres - well, compared to UI.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Olaone1: 2:03pm On Oct 18, 2012
UI = 1948.

Others = 1962.

That 14 years gap no be beans oo. Imagine those who graduated in the 50s. Bola Ige dem
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls name some Alumni of ABU??

No school comes near ABU in Politics.

12 (one-third) of the present state governors attended ABU, not less than 10 of the ministers did.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by abdulkayus(m): 2:04pm On Oct 18, 2012
Where una go com put my uni, Bayero University kano. We do hav great alumni bt nt as much as UNN, UI, UNILAG and ABU. Atleast i can remember dat d present governor of Niger state; Dr Muazu Babangida is an alumni of my school BUK.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Olaone1: 2:05pm On Oct 18, 2012
La'er cool
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Yinka1808: 2:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
Are we talking about 1st degree, msc or phd, because some of these people hv diff degrees frm diff schools.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 18, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Great Ife

Name all the Greatest activist in Nigeria

Products of O A U.

Ife has the most intimidating in Human rights crusade/social activism.

Anybody wanna challenge that?
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by abdulkayus(m): 2:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
Jarus: I am a proud product of Ife, but I concede this is between ABU and UNN. The reason why this is so is because while almost everybody that mattered in the North went to ABU, almost everybody that matters in the east also went to UNN, but the West has UI, Ife and Unilag, three universities to share its own.

Between 60's to 80's, everyone from the East and North dreamt of UNN and ABU respectively, while Ife, Lag and UI shared that of the West.

This is not absolute, as I am aware that there are many Yorubas that schooled in ABU in particular and UNN too, and vice versa for other regions, but it explains teh situation to a very large extent.

oga mi Suraj, u too gbaski. U hav finish everytin. U knw Yoruba like school ever since, so even frm d inceptn, SW has more uni dan other region. Y most intellects and politicians com frm d north is cos ABU was a first generation uni and d only one in d north den, likewise UNN also. Bt SW has UI and OAU
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ife also used to have the biggest array of quality teachers.

Wole Soyinka won his Nobel prize as an Ife lecturer.
Professors Oluponna and Biodun Jeyifo (both the only tenured Nigerian profs in Harvard) were former Ife lecturers before teh brain drain of the 80's to 90's.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 18, 2012
abdulkayus: Where una go com put my uni, Bayero University kano. We do hav great alumni bt nt as much as UNN, UI, UNILAG and ABU. Atleast i can remember dat d present governor of Niger state; Dr Muazu Babangida is an alumni of my school BUK.
Your school try too.

At least some of my highly valued intellectual friends/elders finished from your school

Farooq Kperogi; Yushau Shuaib (NEMA spokesman); Abdullah Usman (Jega's SA)etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinenye Gloria Enukorah Is UNIZIK Nursin Best Graduating Student With 4.74 CGPA / Finally Ciroma Chuckwuma Adekunle Has Pass WAEC (pic) / Gazali Tanimu Best Graduating Student In Saudi Arabia, King Fahad University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.