Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,528 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:17 PM

ECU Stolen - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ECU Stolen (24738 Views)

Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions / Buying Or Getting ECU (brainbox)? Read This! / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECU Stolen by TCD: 8:14am On Sep 07, 2012
Why would someone steal another person's brainbox?
Re: ECU Stolen by kenAri: 11:19am On Sep 26, 2012
this is my vin,JTEHH20V130199577 could you help me check which brain box will work with it. email it to kennedy.ari@dhl.com
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 11:33am On Sep 26, 2012
We spoke on phone.
Re: ECU Stolen by ojelans(m): 6:21pm On Oct 08, 2012
Please I have a similar problem of stolen brainbox. Mine is Toyota Corolla 1.8GLi 2003 with the following chasis number(I didnt see any VIN on it):JTDBR22EOO0152167. Please kindly assist find matching brainbox number. Thanks so much lanreojelabi@yahoo.com
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 9:04am On Oct 09, 2012
ojelans: Please I have a similar problem of stolen brainbox. Mine is Toyota Corolla 1.8GLi 2003 with the following chasis number(I didnt see any VIN on it):JTDBR22EOO0152167. Please kindly assist find matching brainbox number. Thanks so much lanreojelabi@yahoo.com
check your mail
Re: ECU Stolen by adielsol(m): 1:53pm On Dec 22, 2012
Please I have a similar problem of stolen brainbox. Mine is Toyota Corolla 1.8GLi 2008 with the following chasis number AHTLC58E203005428.
lease kindly assist find matching brainbox number. Thanks so much sanjoshodimu@yahoo.com
Re: ECU Stolen by sultaan(m): 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2012
I'm really worried about how much car owners know about cars(I'll hate to think they are not that smart).

Seems they know far less about cars than a high school mechanic.

If your mechanics says your 'comvactor' is bad the dictionary already underlined the word as bad, search and find the correct word and understand what your mechanic is talking about.There is nothing called a 'comvactor' on a car, so my guess is a torque converter.

When you finally understand what your high school mechanic was trying to say then you Google it.

There is no reason for your mechanic to remove the converter without scanning , servicing the transmission first.
No one knws if your check engine light was on.

Everfrank: @ pek, cretin
Mine is automatic gearbox issue. I use a volks golp 3 in which I recently noticed a decline in take off strenght. I mean the car no longer has the strenght it used to when I put it to drive to move. I now have to accellarate harder to set the car in motion and consequent fuel wastage during takeoff. My mechanic said it was comvactor problem as the reverse movement is still strong. I bought a comvactor but mine was found to be good. He now said that he found out that the gearbox no longer selects gear 1 but gear 2 when its engaged to drive, thus the comparatively low takeoff strenght.
His conclusion is that the gearbox brainbox is bad. Pls advice me wether he is right. And if yes how do I get the right brainbox for my car.

@OP

Your question had been answered, find a ECU with that number, if you can't read the number on the one you got, the person who sold it probably couldn't read it either. Just find a ecu with that number, you might even find it on a Pontiac Vibe(same s Matrix), and if that is the vin# you posted and confused by it being called Matrix, You are definitely paying for Xmas and new year grin
Re: ECU Stolen by onyfrank: 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2013
Pls my Ogas,
is it good 4 a brainbox of golf 3 manual to get hot?
If not, pls i want to knw d corrective measure. Thanx
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 06, 2013
onyfrank: Pls my Ogas,
is it good 4 a brainbox of golf 3 manual to get hot?
If not, pls i want to knw d corrective measure. Thanx

It will get moderately warm in service, as long as it's not hot to the point of burning your fingers, it's pretty normal.
Re: ECU Stolen by onyfrank: 9:28pm On Jul 09, 2013
Siena:

It will get moderately warm in service, as long as it's not hot to the point of burning your fingers, it's pretty normal.
bt i can't handle it weneva its hot.
The electrician said its bad cable.
Re: ECU Stolen by jeroh01: 9:10am On Sep 25, 2013
Oga Pek I need your help, My brain box was stolen and I am in need of a replacement pls.can you help me with a good number?

Details: Toyota corolla 1.8gli, 2003
VIN: JTDBR22E003099470

Thanks in advance, I now understand why they burn thieves

pek: Your car information is toyota corolla matrix 2003 American spec produced january 2002. The Ecu part number that fits it is 89666-02330. Anything other than this will not work. If the one you have is the same number, then know that it is bad
Re: ECU Stolen by nissparts(m): 9:46am On Sep 25, 2013
Hmm...I never knew Corolla ECUs were such endangered species like this

3 Likes

Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 25, 2013
Bros I'm equally suprised.

nissparts: Hmm...I never knew Corolla ECUs were such endangered species like this
Re: ECU Stolen by sammily(m): 10:44am On Sep 27, 2013
All these stolen ECU that I am reading is quite alarming, how can one now prevent it from happening, cos I'm pushing a corolla also. undecided
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 27, 2013
Everfrank:
My Golf 3 auto is 2006 model
Engine is 2.0
Auto transmission
The brainbox no is-1H1 927 739 CN 32/96 5DG
LOl 2006 Golf III
Re: ECU Stolen by ereso: 7:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
I have a similar problem, the brain box of my avensis was stolen and the ECU number is unavailable.
The chassis number is sb1bh55190e085994.
engine number 1az2377370
Its a 2004 Toyota avensis model.
With a 2.0 engine.
Its automatic.
Please where can I get a reliable dealer to send it to warri and an auto electrician than can synchronize(code) it.
I really appreciate if any one can help.
Thanks. my e-mail eresobrown@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
it is pointless to steal an ECU without the key or key and immobiliser module, as you will be forced remap that ECU to work with your key/immobiliser

and also there is nothing called the ECU is underpowered/ is not powerful
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
jeroh01: Oga Pek I need your help, My brain box was stolen and I am in need of a replacement pls.can you help me with a good number?

Details: Toyota corolla 1.8gli, 2003
VIN: JTDBR22E003099470

Thanks in advance, I now understand why they burn thieves

I am very very sorry! I am Just seeing this. Please, if you have not gotten the brain box, let me know so that I will help out.
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
ZIM DRILL: it is pointless to steal an ECU without the key or key and immobiliser module, as you will be forced remap that ECU to work with your key/immobiliser

and also there is nothing called the ECU is underpowered/ is not powerful
sorry but I don't agree with you. there are many brain box that we refer as plug and drive! they don't need any immobilizer or any programming.
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2013
Wait Oº°˚˚°! What is it with all these stolen corolla ECU's? this is a worrysome developmenti guess those ECUthieves will be having a field day reselling those stolen ECU's at a ridiculously outrageous price undecided Haba! I think its better to stay away from toyota especially corolla and camry for now because they are soooooooooooo common and are in high demand thus making them a ready target for vandalism, canibalism and theft .
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 13, 2013
Pek, Zim is correct. When it comes to transponder-protected cars, the ECU's would be far from plug 'n play, and WILL need programming if fitted to any car other than the one it was factory-installed in.

If it doesn't require coding, and it's transponder-protected, then it means the immobiliser's been defeated, which is very posdible. I do IMMO defeats on Audi and Volkswagen when carrying out 1.8T / VR6 / V8 engine swaps, if the client didn't get the ECU in combination with the key, IMMO interface or instrument cluster.
Re: ECU Stolen by pek(m): 2:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
Siena: Pek, Zim is correct. When it comes to transponder-protected cars, the ECU's would be far from plug 'n play, and WILL need programming if fitted to any car other than the one it was factory-installed in.

If it doesn't require coding, and it's transponder-protected, then it means the immobiliser's been defeated, which is very posdible. I do IMMO defeats on Audi and Volkswagen when carrying out 1.8T / VR6 / V8 engine swaps, if the client didn't get the ECU in combination with the key, IMMO interface or instrument cluster.

but not all are transponder protected. or have Immobilizer.
Re: ECU Stolen by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
pek: but not all are transponder protected. or have Immobilizer.

Which is exactly what I stated. Though very few late model ECU's will be non-transpondered.
Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:24pm On Oct 13, 2013
pek: but not all are transponder protected. or have Immobilizer.

then whats the point of a transponder if it not protected

the only way is like SIENA said if it was deactivated (then it becomes plug and play as you claim )
Re: ECU Stolen by erico2k2(m): 11:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

then whats the point of a transponder if it not protected

the only way is like SIENA said if it was deactivated (then it becomes plug and play as you claim )
Still useless, to steal one though,my car back home a 2004 Jeep liberty had problem with the ECU, I had to buy one from Ebay in America and had it coded with the VIN number shipped back home to have it work,however if it was a VW that would be impossible as I learnt the hard way.The buttom line is the ECU sells for as low as $50 I bought mine $105 that is a remanufactured one and the coding put together,Im talking about last week.
Re: ECU Stolen by Teextoo(m): 8:40am On Oct 29, 2013
Hello guys
Please I need your help. A car wash operator poured water into my 2008 corolla ecu while washing the engine and my car has refused to start. My mechanic took the ECU to repair people and they said that the IC is broken, that it has to be replaced. My dad told me that ECU becomes problematic when opened for any reason at all.
I want to know the possibility of my ECU repairs being perfect or should I go for a new one and like how much will the new one cost?
Thanks
Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:14am On Oct 29, 2013
Teextoo: Hello guys
Please I need your help. A car wash operator poured water into my 2008 corolla ecu while washing the engine and my car has refused to start. My mechanic took the ECU to repair people and they said that the IC is broken, that it has to be replaced. My dad told me that ECU becomes problematic when opened for any reason at all.
I want to know the possibility of my ECU repairs being perfect or should I go for a new one and like how much will the new one cost?
Thanks

are you sure the problem is on the ECU there are few sensors in the engine bay that can be sensitive to water
Re: ECU Stolen by Teextoo(m): 10:43am On Oct 29, 2013
No be ECU be brain box again? When my mechanic removed it and turned it upside down, water came out of it.
Re: ECU Stolen by Teextoo(m): 10:45am On Oct 29, 2013
No be ECU be brain box again? When my mechanic removed it and turned it upside down, water came out of it. @Zim, I will also appreciate it if you can give specific sensor names because the error code that came out during the scanning is for ECU according to my mechanic.
Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
Teextoo: No be ECU be brain box again? When my mechanic removed it and turned it upside down, water came out of it. @Zim, I will also appreciate it if you can give specific sensor names because the error code that came out during the scanning is for ECU according to my mechanic.

depending on car and make

sometime you just need that ecu replaced and the ecu inside the car is the one which is coded to your key
Re: ECU Stolen by Teextoo(m): 1:20pm On Oct 29, 2013
The technician is now telling me that the brain box can't be repaired, that it flashed while the mechanic tried to start the ignition with water inside. Please, is there any hope at all on repairs cos the price that they are calling for a new one is not funny at all.
@Zim, are you a technician? If Γ̲̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥§, drop your number, I will give U̶̲̥̅̊ a call.
Re: ECU Stolen by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
Teextoo: The technician is now telling me that the brain box can't be repaired, that it flashed while the mechanic tried to start the ignition with water inside. Please, is there any hope at all on repairs cos the price that they are calling for a new one is not funny at all.
@Zim, are you a technician? If Γ̲̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥§, drop your number, I will give U̶̲̥̅̊ a call.

repairing can be done but usually it is waste of money and time, based on uk working patterns (charged per hours spent working on it x hour rate)

it is always better to get another one as long that ecu is not coded to the key usually if there are 2 ecus one in the car and one in the engine bay. the engine bay one is not coded to the key but the one inside the car

but it might differ from car to car & models to models etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bus Driver Uses Screw Driver As Car Key In Lagos (Photos) / Tesla Model S In Nigeria (photo) / People Push An Overloaded Car With 25 People In Kano (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.