Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,511 members, 7,770,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:53 AM

Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò (123355 Views)

Indigenous Hausa Tubali Architecture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 3:31am On Oct 21, 2015

Àlà, Ànà, Ànị̀, Àlị̀, Àlè, Ànè, The Earth Mother.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 3:33am On Oct 21, 2015
Below...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 4:20pm On Oct 21, 2015
Down you go...

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 4:23pm On Oct 21, 2015
Next post...

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 8:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
Post below explains all.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 8:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
See signature.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 9:37pm On Oct 30, 2015
Moved post.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by bigfrancis21: 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

"Ceremonial Igbo wooden chair constructed of multiple cross bars and pegs without the use of any binding agent, the ends finished with finely carved human and animal heads with pith hats and crowns, made in the 20th century. Chairs like this, as opposed to stools, were most probably a European influence adapted to indigenous styles."

Look at such beautiful and painstakingly cratfed artwork! Such a masterpiece.

However, I do not agree with the bolded part though. The European writer felt that Negroes are capable of intelligent masterpieces and such beautiful masterpiece must have been 'copied' from the Europeans. The same European writer who wrote about the Igbo-Ukwu artworks commented that the artworks were such a beautiful art-piece that no artwork of Europe at that time rivaled the Igbo-Ukwu artworks in intricacy and finesse, and that the artworks must have been somehow related to European influence. That is, blacks are capable of building or designing beautiful and well-crafted artworks.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Look at such beautiful and painstakingly cratfed artwork! Such a masterpiece.

However, I do not agree with the bolded part though. The European writer felt that Negroes are capable of intelligent masterpieces and such beautiful masterpiece must have been 'copied' from the Europeans. The same European writer who wrote about the Igbo-Ukwu artworks commented that the artworks were such a beautiful art-piece that no artwork of Europe at that time rivaled the Igbo-Ukwu artworks in intricacy and finesse, and that the artworks must have been somehow related to European influence. That is, blacks are capable of building or designing beautiful and well-crafted artworks.

I think they meant the fact that its an arm chair rather than a stool showed European influence.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nwanne, I am quite impressed with your handiwork on this thread. Mana kedu ebe I na-esi aboputacha picture niine a?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:37pm On Oct 30, 2015
nwanlecha:
Nwanne, I am quite impressed with your handiwork on this thread. Mana kedu ebe I na-esi aboputacha picture niine a?

Most of them are from here: http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/, others are from search online.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by musicwriter(m): 1:41am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

"Ceremonial Igbo wooden chair constructed of multiple cross bars and pegs without the use of any binding agent, the ends finished with finely carved human and animal heads with pith hats and crowns, made in the 20th century. Chairs like this, as opposed to stools, were most probably a European influence adapted to indigenous styles."

That sculpture would predate the colonial era. It resembles an 1700 century work. Probably, at the same time Bini kingdom were doing similar work as bronze cast.

And, no, that couldn't have been European inspired!. That's not possible because we didn't make contact with European culture, rather European culture made contact with us and was able to copy some African works. We mastered the art of quality wood work before Europeans, Asians, and the prove is all over western museums.

Our arts were so cutting edge (at that time) that it was actually stolen by Europeans!. African artifacts are littered all over Europe crying in European museums. America too.

Watch the video on this link http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 1:45am On Oct 31, 2015
musicwriter:

That sculpture would predate the colonial era. It resembles an 1700 century work. Probably, at the same time Bini kingdom were doing similar work as bronze cast.

And, no, that couldn't have been European inspired!. That's not possible because we didn't make contact with European culture, rather European culture made contact with us and was able to copy some African works. We mastered the art of quality wood work before Europeans, Asians, and the prove is all over western museums.

Our arts were so cutting edge (at that time) that it was actually stolen by Europeans!. African artifacts are littered all over Europe crying in European museums. America too.

Watch the video on this link http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html

The heads are wearing colonial style hats like this:

The others are wearing European styled crowns. The convention of arm chairs, which are placed around dining tables, is European, but the motifs of the chair are Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 1:52am On Oct 31, 2015
It shouldn't take much for a reasonable person to notice that the chair is clearly European-inspired. Plus, to further buttress it all, the dating of the chair itself is 20th century. Colonial administration had already begun.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by musicwriter(m): 2:15am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

The heads are wearing colonial style hats like this:

The others are wearing European styled crowns. The convention of arm chairs, which are placed around dining tables, is European, but the motifs of the chair are Igbo.

Ok, I just saw the coat of arms now. If that's the Nigerian coat of arms that would mean it was indeed during the colonial era.

But, that still doesn't mean we didn't master wood work before Europeans. As you can see, Africans could carve anything carveable. Carving was our thing!.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by musicwriter(m): 2:27am On Oct 31, 2015
@ezeagu.

I'm looking for Igbo keyboard. Where did you buy the one you're using?. Any idea where I can buy one?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 2:34am On Oct 31, 2015
musicwriter:
@ezeagu.

I'm looking for Igbo keyboard. Where did you buy the one you're using?. Any idea where I can buy one?

You don't need to but an Igbo keyboard, you need to change the input of your keyboard, meaning the language of the keyboard.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by musicwriter(m): 2:38am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

You don't need to but an Igbo keyboard, you need to change the input of your keyboard, meaning the language of the keyboard.

Digital keyboard?. If that's what you mean, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a physical keyboard.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Nobody: 2:44am On Oct 31, 2015
more nsibidi

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 2:49am On Oct 31, 2015
musicwriter:

Digital keyboard?. If that's what you mean, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a physical keyboard.

Okay, well I've not seen an Igbo/Nigerian keyboard. Maybe Jumia or somewhere online?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by musicwriter(m): 3:00am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

Okay, well I've not seen an Igbo/Nigerian keyboard. Maybe Jumia or somewhere online?

Ok, but, they're not there. Thanks, anywhere.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2015
K. Is that by any means your website?

ezeagu:

Most of them are from here: http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/, others are from search online.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 8:52pm On Oct 31, 2015
nwanlecha:
K. Is that by any means your website?

Oh, I think it's just a collection of pictures from other sites on that website.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:47pm On Nov 21, 2015
Other posts explain. Signature.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:48pm On Nov 21, 2015
Ass other post have said.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
Post moved.

To know where move further.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by TRHM: 4:39am On Apr 03, 2016
This is a nice collection of Igbo pictures in antiquity.
However, most of the Obi's (obi) here are called shrines but are not religious / or shrines for idols. most of them are actually meeting places for kinsmen or community gathering. I actually saw a pics of some places in my village which i knew growing up was a meeting house (Obu) of one of the kindred in my village among the pictures.

In igboland, the presence of carved images does not necessarily mean an idol of worship, most idols don't (to my knowledge) have images but are represented by slabs of wood / a huge tree, a river and/or other collection of items.

All these are results of influence of external cultures in igboland as records has it that Igbo communities before the 1700's may have practiced monotheism.

I, for one, have a similar conviction about Igbo Hebrew roots as chronicles in these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K3w587mrNw&list=PLr4G1DkkRSVQjiFAgxT5cRsgGCEr7GEZm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Ozouno1: 7:05pm On Dec 29, 2017
ezeagu:
Owere area again. Mbari building. Oratta Igbo.

"Mbari to Eketa in Umueke Ihitte. Done by an artist known as Ugo."

Mgbo Mbari (Door of the Pyramid/Shrine/Holy Creation). Also known as "Babel" by the Hebrew nomadic pirate tribes who hated settled civilizations.
History repeats itself. Protect these heritage sites. They are the Igbo pyramids. Igbo call it Mbari, Nuer call it bieh, Kemetics called theirs "mr". Same conical shape and function in customary government. Let us protect all we can from predators and organize commissions to understand these things better.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by RedboneSmith(m): 9:57am On Aug 07, 2018
You had a great thing going here. But for some strange reason, you decided to destroy it, and the Omambala site isn't accessible anymore. I have been trying for days now.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by jbblues24(m): 9:23pm On Jun 01, 2019
Immensely radiant design!! lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Maazieze(m): 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2022
will this thread pls continue? oga post more
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by palinco: 2:27pm On Jun 16, 2022
I need 100 Igbo natives(50 males, 50 females), who can read sentences in the Igbo language to complete a voice recording/reading task on their android or iPhone mobile phones.
*400 short and simple sentences to be read ( in a quiet environment)
Payment is : N4,000.
Steps:
* Download the Ocean speech app from Google Play store.
* Create an account. would send steps to follow
* Would send the project id.
Interested: Whatsapp me : 080 38 30 47 98.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.