Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Camry 99 Thermostat Removal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry 99 Thermostat Removal (12833 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by donbuchi1(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2012
Friends, please my mech. advised i remove my car thermostat.

Is it a wise thing to do?
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
Dont try it.

Ikenna.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Lexusgs430: 6:29pm On Aug 01, 2012
The thermostat was put there to serve a key function.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by ayojango(m): 3:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
Berra put it back ASAP it serves as a coolant.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 16, 2012
don buchi: Friends, please my mech. advised i remove my car thermostat.

Is it a wise thing to do?

Hello, I would advise u heed ur mechanic's advise and remove it. Thermostat was designed by the manufacturers for use in very cold regions, so as to keep the  occupants warm. Here in nigeria, we live in a hot climate so we don't need it. Leaving the thermostat in ur car could lead to ur car overheating in traffic jam.

I had this same issue with the car I recently acquired, my temperature guage wz always at the middle due to the thermostat,n there wasn't traffic jam. As soon as my mechanic removed it, my temperature guage hardly rises except when I use the A|C, and with the A\C, it only stays at a 1 level below the middle guage
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Emperoh(m): 10:13am On Aug 16, 2012
mobuch:
Hello, I would advise u heed ur mechanic's advise and remove it. Thermostat was designed by the manufacturers for use in very cold regions, so as to keep the  occupants warm. Here in nigeria, we live in a hot climate so we don't need it. Leaving the thermostat in ur car could lead to ur car overheating in traffic jam.

I had this same issue with the car I recently acquired, my temperature guage wz always at the middle due to the thermostat,n there wasn't traffic jam. As soon as my mechanic removed it, my temperature guage hardly rises except when I use the A|C, and with the A\C, it only stays at a 1 level below the middle guage

I don't know much but i understand a few things'
1. The thermostat does not keep the car occupants warm. It is used to regulate the engine temperature. A rising temperature will start the fan to keep engine cool.
2. Auto engines operate optimally at a particular temperature. Anything below means more gas consumption.
3. Removing your thermostat means your engine fan will run without guide.

It is never advisable to remove your car thermostat. Don't let road side quacks kill your car.

2 Likes

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by ayojango(m): 10:16am On Aug 16, 2012
[quote author=mobuch]

you might be having a blown out gasket d coolant regulates d Engine,it is never advisable to remove d thermostat

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by mikkybrick: 10:28am On Aug 16, 2012
na wa for naija mechanics sha! that's how they will tell you "don't buy V6 cars o! they usually have problem, this, that..." Rubbish! instead of these half educated road side apprentices to say they don't have the technical know-how to diagnose and rectify, they will be making noise...<hisses> lipsrsealed
Guy, leave your thermostat alone.
As for the man who is super cooling his engine (he is happy the temp guage remails lower than middle(80 degrees C) i make bold to say that Your vehicle was designed to run at a specific temperature for the best mileage and so that the oil is hot enough to get to all of the engines internal parts. You should not remove the thermostat.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 16, 2012
Well, don't know wat u r saying, cos I used a nissan sunny for almost a year, I removed d thermostat n changed d single cell radiator n I never had any problem with the radiator. Now I have done d same for my new car , n d temperature has fallen to the normal level
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by mikkybrick: 1:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
@mobuchi, for your new car, were you having overheating problem if you stay in traffic before you removed it? i drive a nissan altima and no such issues no matter how long i stay in traffic. before then i was using a mercedes and no overheating! now you're talking of double cell radiators.b4 doing all that, did you scan your car? hmm...na wa for our way of thinking. it's this same thinking that has made 99 model toyota cars so ubiquitous.

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 17, 2012
I guess it may be neccessary to let u know that brand new cars sold in nigeria and designed for the tropics and the nigerian market don't have thermostats installed in them. Its only used cars which are imported n not originally built for the nigerian market that have these thermostats installed in them.

These thermostats r designed for cars in cold climates to prevent n regulate their engines from getting to a freezing point n keeping it warm. Using it here would lead to d engine getting too hot and overheating, instead of keeping it warm as it does in cold sub-zero temperature climates.

When about 3o different mechanics n experienced old time drivers advise u to do the same thing, I guess their advise might be in order,.

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by cretin: 9:46am On Aug 17, 2012
naija mechanics!!!...this is their most favourite past time!!...ignorant, clueless peeps...pls dont remove ur thermostat for any reason.......unless as a last resort for an abused car..but bear in mind that u have signed the death warant of that car/engine..the max that engine will last is 3 yrs or 4 max
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:16am On Aug 17, 2012
mobuch: I guess it may be neccessary to let u know that brand new cars sold in nigeria and designed for the tropics and the nigerian market don't have thermostats installed in them. Its only used cars which are imported n not originally built for the nigerian market that have these thermostats installed in them.

These thermostats r designed for cars in cold climates to prevent n regulate their engines from getting to a freezing point n keeping it warm. Using it here would lead to d engine getting too hot and overheating, instead of keeping it warm as it does in cold sub-zero temperature climates.

When about 3o different mechanics n experienced old time drivers advise u to do the same thing, I guess their advise might be in order,.

if thats the case how come all cars designed for hot climates still have a thermostat ?

remember nigeria is not as place like dubai but you still find cars designed for such area which thermostat
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 10:19am On Aug 20, 2012
mobuch:

mobuch: I guess it may be neccessary to let u know that brand new cars sold in nigeria and designed for the tropics and the nigerian market don't have thermostats installed in them. Its only used cars which are imported n not originally built for the nigerian market that have these thermostats installed in them.

mobuch:

I have tried so hard to ignore these your posts, but i found it very difficult

Please, you can keep to your ignorance and abuse your vehicles, but you dont have to give wrong information to people that are ready and want to learn. I wonder where you got these your ideas?

What made you think your temperature guage is meant to be at the lowest level for normal engine operating temperature? What made you think your engine was overheating when your temp guage was at the middle? Can we really be that ignorant?

Ikenna.

3 Likes

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by diportivo: 10:28am On Aug 20, 2012
@op...u нανє no reason to remove ur thermostat.if its jammed,simply replace it.its there on purpose
@mobuch.....ur level of ignorance amazes me.and kindly stop giving people the wrong info.what you don't know,in this case,can actually hurt you.your temperature guage HAS to be in the middle.dats the optimum temperature ur car needs to get to for it to function as it should.dats what the thermostat is there for.just google it and you will find out.cars sold in naija as new all have theremostats....its not abt the climate or weather.please be informed.if your mechanics don't know;u shld.dats the whole essence of the internet

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Burger01(m): 6:05pm On Aug 21, 2012
The moment my car came in from Belgium I had the thermostart removed. I never experienced over heating with ac on in a terrible traffic jam. Remove the thermostart, thermostart is meant for cold regions.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by mdautotec(m): 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2012
Thank you sir! I have also desperately been trying to avoid commenting on the posts on the above subject matter, but could not resist. THE COMMENTS ARE NOT VALID!!

Whoever removes a thermostat on any vehicle does not understand the long term implications and operation of an internal combustion engine.

On a cold start the ECM (engine control module) injects a HIGHER pre-determined volume of fuel into the combustion chamber. This is due to the condensation of fuel on the intake manifold walls, length of manifold runners etc. The higher injector duty cycle overcomes this. At this time the ECM is not receiving information from the Oxygen and Air fuel sensor. This mode is called OPEN LOOP. Now if we run in OPEN LOOP forever the engine would consume so much fuel that we would probably want to park the vehicle and stop driving! Apart from the fuel consumption, you will be destroying your catalytic converter and will perceive an unburnt fuel (excess hydrocarbons) odor from the exhaust. Also the sensors would carbonize over time and permanently fail! NOT A SITUATION WE NEED!

Now, the key is to get the engine to reach it's operating temperature as soon as possible. Once the engine reached it's operating temperature the O2 (oxygen) and A/F sensor (air fuel) are providing vital feedback to the ECM, such as the oxygen content in the exhaust and catalyst efficiency. This mode is called CLOSED LOOP. By using this information the the correct air fuel ratio can be maintained 14:7 to 1. THIS MAXIMIZES FUEL ECONOMY, MINIMUM EMISSIONS OUT OF TAILPIPE, ENGINE WEAR IS LESS (IN CASE OF A LEAN MIXTURE, WHICH CAN DESTROY ENGINES) and GENERALLY MAXIMIZES ENGINE OPERATION CHARACTERISTICS. At the end of the day it gives us all a smoother ride that we look for!!

Now, there are components that allow an engine to reach closed loop mode as soon as possible. FIRST AND VERY IMPORTANT IS THE ENGINE THERMOSTAT!! It has a temperature stamped on it's body and once it is reached the thermostat opens to allow the coolant to circulate through the cooling system (engine cooling jackets, radiator etc).

The oxygen sensors and A/F sensors also need to get to their operating temperatures as soon as possible. About 400c for the O2 sensor and 650c for the A/F sensor. These sensors also have built in heater elements in them which aid in ensuring the proper operational temperature is reached for respective feedback to the ECM for closed loop control. It is essential that the ENGINE THERMOSTAT is functioning properly to allow the engine to reach it's operating temperature otherwise the A/F and O2 sensor are also affected.

With all the above not functioning, will cause the engine to remain cool; hence the temperature gauge (needle) at barely above the 'C' mark on the instrument cluster. Depending on engine design most system will not enter closed loop, even if they do ENGINE EFFICIENCY WILL DEFINITELY BE SUB-STANDARD!!!

An inefficient engine CONSUMES FUEL, ROBS HORSEPOWER, WILL INCREASE BLOW BY GASES WHICH IN TURN WILL CONTAMINATE ENGINE OIL (MORE FREQUENT OIL CHANGES), EMITS EXCESS EMISSIONS, CAN BE HARMFUL TO ENGINE OIL SEALS/COMPONENTS.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THERMOSTATS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO KEEP OCCUPANTS WARM! That is the job of the HEATER CORE which is placed on most vehicles in a plastic case together with the A/C evaporator under the dashboard. The heater core has hot engine coolant flowing through it. A blend door is used to control the flow of air from HOT to COLD. Turning the knob to the HOT (RED AREA) allows the air to pass over the heater core which increases in temperature and exits through the A/C vents via the appropriate ducting into the passenger compartment.

Yes, agreed that a lot of people say I have removed my thermostat and my engine temperature etc is normal and everything is wonderful. They don't realize they have just reduced the efficiency of their engines by doing so. How is this affecting the actual operational characteristics engine they can't see and have no idea! In some cases it may not have a short term effect, but the long term will tell. To be honest quite a few people are not too concerned if their fuel economy drops and their converters/sensors get toasted, as long as their vehicles move they are ok. This may also be lack of knowledge I really do not know, but it is their investment to take care of.

SO PLEASE do keep you thermostats in place! All new cars sold here have factory thermostats installed!

Just for information and maintenance sake. I use a CR-V 2004 model (K20A5) motor. I replace the thermostat on it every 2 years for maximum efficiency. I have just replaced the thermostat last week with a Honda genuine type, along with re-usable high flow K & N filter, genuine Honda spark plugs (ZFR6K-11), 5w30 synthetic (VHVI) very high viscosity index motor oil. Also flow tested and serviced the fuel injectors, fuel pump filter, throttle body, intake manifold, checked the intake / exhaust valve settings (including replacement of valve cover gasket, genuine Honda).

The engine runs so smooth and the throttle response is very quick. On the THERMOSTAT side in less than 2 minutes the temperature gauge is just below half and remains there.

I hope the above sheds some light on the above subject matter.

GOOD LUCK!

I have tried so hard to ignore these your posts, but i found it very difficult

Please, you can keep to your ignorance and abuse your vehicles, but you dont have to give wrong information to people that are ready and want to learn. I wonder where you got these your ideas?

What made you think your temperature guage is meant to be at the lowest level for normal engine operating temperature? What made you think your engine was overheating when your temp guage was at the middle? Can we really be that ignorant?

Ikenna.[/quote]

5 Likes

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2012
I probably have to refix my themostat back

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by autodoctor: 7:42pm On Aug 23, 2012
odoctor: 4:32pm

Ever wondered what all the warning lights displayed on your car dashboard means (I.e Check Engine, Service Engine Soon, Maintenance required etc). Have you been experiencing a high consumption of petrol by your car? Has your car's performance been on the decline? Have you had all sorts of trial and error technicians compounding your car problems rather that providing lasting solutions? Are you fed up?
DON'T BE.

Just click on the link below for free technical advice and free diagnosis and engine scan. This offer is free to all Nairalanders and only for cars in Abuja.

https://www.nairaland.com/1002588/free-powertrain-scan-cars-abuja#11596927
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 02, 2012
I guess you guys were right on the issue of thermostat being removed in a car. I refixed my thermostat back to my nissan primera I noticed a drastic reduction in my  fuel consumption. For instance, I spent 2500 on fuel from ilesha to lagos when d thermostat wz removed and I later spent 1500 n fuel when reeturning back to ilesha from lagos,with the thermostat fixed back grin
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 02, 2012
Burger01: The moment my car came in from Belgium I had the thermostart removed. I never experienced over heating with ac on in a terrible traffic jam. Remove the thermostart, thermostart is meant for cold regions.

For the umpteenth time, Thermostats are there for a reason! It's meant for all regions, from Temperate to Tropical. Nevada, Texas, Arizona in the US are hotter than Nigeria, their cars have thermostats. Dubai, Saudi Arabia are hotter than Nigeria, their cars have thermostats. Parts of Australia are hotter than Nigeria, their cars have thermostats.

Cars built in Nigeria also have thermostats. Why do you think they're there, to look pretty, or to serve a purpose?

2 Likes

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by jabbatings: 11:37am On Jul 22, 2013
I'm now realizing that i've been an unfortunate victim. I guess i succumbed to this having fried the head of my first car - a toyota chaser due to some other cause. The thermostat of my new car, an auto-manual nissan v6, was removed several months ago and what i've noticed is increased fuel consumption. When i read about optimun operating temperature for an engine i became worried because i notice it takes longer for the gauge to reach 'almost' midway. Now recently ive also seen there is an increase in emmisions, with the exhaust pipe carbon black. This car is now jerking intermitently particulary at 2000rpm when accelerating, mainly in the mornig. The problem is worsening with the jerks more frequent. Could it be the carbon build-up? Gear change is ok.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Burger01(m): 3:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
Siena:

For the umpteenth time, Thermostats are there for a reason! It's meant for all regions, from Temperate to Tropical. Nevada, Texas, Arizona in the US are hotter than Nigeria, their cars have thermostats. Dubai, Saudi Arabia are hotter than Nigeria, their cars have thermostats. Parts of Australia are hotter than Nigeria, their cars have thermostats.

Cars built in Nigeria also have thermostats. Why do you think they're there, to look pretty, or to serve a purpose?
Oga Sienna, believe me, i could never believe i post what i posted about removing the thermostat of a car. That was then. Now, i know better. It's never advisable to remove the thermostat of any vehicle. OP please ignore my post. That was a post out of ignorance.

sad

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by elektra80: 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Burger01: The moment my car came in from Belgium I had the thermostart removed. I never experienced over heating with ac on in a terrible traffic jam. Remove the thermostart, thermostart is meant for cold regions.

Hmm.. SO how come my 05 honda accord never experience overheating even if i stay in traffic for 12 hours with ac on. Thermostat is intact and my cooling fans only pick up at certain temperatures. U might wanna know that some parts of USA are hotter in the summer than Nigeria and their cars have thermostat. We should stop being ignorant and educate these mechanics as we are more learned. Thermostats don't cause overheating, they help maintain optimum engine running temperature. SO my guy if ur temperature gauge doesn't rise above the first level, then ur engine is not running properly and ur gonna get bad mileage and might wear out engine fast. One guy was bragging that his temperature guage doesn't rise at all. OMG what an ignorant. My temperature guage stays around the middle every time, with or without ac.

Have u noticed how a car with thermostat works at first start in the morning, the thermostat will close so engine can warm and u get to ur optimum running temperature fast before it opens. That's how a sound car should work. So poster, don't remove ur thermostat. If ur engine is overheating, solve the overheating problem.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:07am On Jul 24, 2013

The job of a thermostat it is to maintain the average effient operating temperature of the engine and to cool it down if it goes beyond average operating if it goes beyond that 3 or 4 times it burn the headgasket

If the engine operate below the required operating temperate it burn more fuel and it cost you more becoz of less galon per mileage

So whether in alaska or dubai the engine has to reach the average operating temperature and the thermo open if temperature rises above operating temperature to cool it down to the average temperature, so in simple terms it traps coolant in the engine to make it reach effiecent operating temperature and opens to let in cool coolant from radiator to lower to temperature back to average operating temperature

As for freezing point you mentioned, it got nothing to do with thermo, but that is the job of anti freeze/coolant, if the ratio is mixed correct with water, your coolant in your wont freeze @ even -5,then also your engine oil eg 5w 20 - 5w represent average morning temperature so with combination of oil type and coolant your car will start with one kick in the morning even temperatures are - 5 becoz your coolant in the engine is not frozen and
so is your oil since it is for your region, indicated by 5w or 10w. Eg 5w 20, 10w 20 etc

Cars in cold place use oil that must not freeze at - 5 or 10 so its properties are different with oil for hot region with average mornings temp 7

So the thermo has nothing to do with temperature of region but the car's engine temperature

Engine oil is the one that has to do with region temperatures as much colder region must not have oil freeze as the engine wont turn when oil is frozen inside the engine
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by odume10: 9:36am On Jul 24, 2013
Pls I just removed the thermostat of my camry 99 last week am going back to the mechanic to look for it.

Pls i heard about coolant, is it advisable i change the coolant i presently have on my radiator?
it has additive in it and it came with the car from canada.

Again am advised to change the radiator to double cell is it necessary?
my temperature gauge even with AC stays a bit above middle.
Thanks all.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by alphaconde(m): 9:57am On Jul 24, 2013
If u keep the themostat in ur car ur car will be confused since nigeria isn't an extremely cold place, so when its hot ur car will over heat. Ur mech is right. Some Pple asking u not to remove it don't even know where a themostat is in their car neither do they know the function.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 10:27am On Jul 24, 2013
alpha conde: If u keep the themostat in ur car ur car will be confused since nigeria isn't an extremely cold place, so when its hot ur car will over heat. Ur mech is right. Some Pple asking u not to remove it don't even know where a themostat is in their car neither do they know the function.

What's your point?

Ikenna
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by odume10: 10:29am On Jul 24, 2013
alpha conde: If u keep the themostat in ur car ur car will be confused since nigeria isn't an extremely cold place, so when its hot ur car will over heat. Ur mech is right. Some Pple asking u not to remove it don't even know where a themostat is in their car neither do they know the function.

Thanks
I have also permanent the two fans to blow the moment i start the engine, how about changing to double cell radiator?
my engine does not over heat but am advised it may over heat on long travels.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Ikenna351(m): 10:57am On Jul 24, 2013
odume10:

Thanks
I have also permanent the two fans to blow the moment i start the engine, how about changing to double cell radiator?
my engine does not over heat but am advised it may over heat on long travels.

As if thermostat abuse is not enough, you have added radiator electric fans abuse and you now want to add radiator abuse join? Because even with all the posts that have discussed consequences of abusing cooling systems here on this thread, you are still asking if you should go ahead with the abuse and add more? Hmm!

Let me ask you, who owns that car? You or your mechanic? So even if your mechanic ask you to pour in salt into engine via oil filler, you go ahead with it? In fact, what you have done so far is almost the samething as mixing salt with your engine oil with your very hand. Beacause your engine will eventually die the way an engine with salty oil dies. Only that it will take longer in your case.

If i were you, i will quickly revert that car cooling system to how it was when you first got her, unless you are ready to be replacing or rebuilding that engine every now and then.

Ikenna
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by kakameks: 11:42am On Jul 24, 2013
I agree that thermostat were installed for a reason, mainly to regulate the temperature of the engine but I fail to understand how it affects fuel economy

I know that for the temperature regulator the main benefactor is the engine oil as if the engine is too hot the oil thins out and if it is too viscous the efficiency of the oil pump is affected.

If the argument was that the engine will burn at a higher rpm (more fuel) to try and reach optimum temperature. I agree that it affects fuel consumption for that STARTING period but once it is running I really don't see how it affect mpg for naturally aspirated cars? the petrol engine unlike diesel engine uses a spark plug to ignite the fuel-air mixture and not the high compression/temperature ratio that diesel uses.

It is when you speak of turbo charged cars that I can fully agree that the temperature helps performance even though the turbo charger compress and heats the air before force-feeding it to the engine.

I maybe wrong in my line of though so any one that has a better explanation how the thermostat affects MPG should kindly enlighten me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That Has Ever Happened To You While Driving / Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner / How To Maintain A Car You Want To Park For Long

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.