Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates (30229 Views)

Delta State Civil Servive Commission Recruiting, All Field(OND,HND,BSC, etc) / First Batch Of Dangote Truck Drivers To Graduate In January 2013 / Acquiring A Degree With Hnd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by fxtopedia(m): 8:38am On Aug 03, 2012
[size=28pt]UNDER-EMPLOYMENT AT ITS BEST[/size] cry cry cry
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by bloggz: 8:56am On Aug 03, 2012
dey dia, over 500,000 graduates av applied....e be like say u no hear say NO JAB IN 9JA

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by WuzilistiQ(m): 9:20am On Aug 03, 2012
We need more expansion of his company to reach more states, cities that will bring development, employment, then we can now talk about the other graduate left if they can work as truck drivers, we need to make this thing reach everywhere.....so the idea is to bond the country with his Giant business whether truck driving, fieldworkers or Admin where ever the employment comes all we need is just to see the opportunity to be at our doorsteps since he's almost running a monopoly.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by jeffiejay(m): 9:45am On Aug 03, 2012
stagger:

I think you and others voicing the same opinion as you are, should have their heads examined.

A man has opted to drop the number of unemployed youths by giving them gainful employment. Yet some of you who have never paid a kobo to anyone as salary in your lives are talking babash.

What defines the kind of job a graduate should have in today's economy where a country like Spain whose banks can afford to loan Real Madrid money to buy Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka have seen unemployment rise to 25%?

There is dignity in labour, not in staying idle and I can tell you that there are many people who will take up that offer.

How much do banks pay HND holders? N15,000 the last I checked. I am very sure that a truck driver with Dangote will earn MUCH MORE than this. And there will be opportunities to get exposed to the intricacies of the haulage part of the cement business, which will come in very handy if that same individual will be able to buy a truck to start haulage biz later in life.

People should wake up and be realistic. I have met graduates who are bus conductors. I know a bus driver in PH who has only one leg, and rather than go begging like many people in his position, he has taken it upon himself to make himself useful to himself and his family.

You are all witnesses to the unbelievable Kleptomania going on in GEJ's regime. I know many government agencies where people siphon off millions of Naira in out of pocket expenses. Go to a typical government agency in Abuja and see how much is spent on purchase of rice during Christmas season.

Many of you commenting need to come and live and work in Abuja so you are exposed and see for yourself how money is stolen in this country on a daily basis. Some of you do not even know the story behind employment of coaches in NFF. Many of you do not even know how much contractors for some of these programs run by the Presidency collect. You probably do not even know how much money is spent on provision of snacks for meetings in government agencies.

This is money that can be used to provide employment for Nigerian youths. Now someone has taken it upon himself to provide employment for graduates. Some of these graduates you even defend cannot even write a sentence in correct English. I interview many of them in my business weekly.

You guys need to wake up. I for one do not like Dangote's monopolistic way of doing business, but I will salute him on this one.

This bros ehn! God Bless you!
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 03, 2012
osajojo: I have applied. I can't wait to get this job. Imagine been paid for driving
bros u know how far.... see you there, dont mind these children on this forum
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by AjanleKoko: 10:12am On Aug 03, 2012
As I had re-iterated on a previous thread, this is a great opportunity for Nigerian youth.
Most of the so-called university and polytechnic graduates have no white or blue collar skill, have never worked a day in their life, and are gradually becoming a nuisance to the nation. Most of them apply for any job advertised, regardless of whether they qualify or not, and live off family and friends.

NBC (Coke bottlers) did this way back in '99, when they started to hire graduates to drive their sales trucks. Their rate of pilferage, and accidents has reduced drastically over the years since they started this initiative. It's easy to see why Dangote is going that route.

For those who take the offer up, they will build mind and body with this job, and many could even go on to pursue self-owned trucking opportunities. They have everything to gain by taking up this opportunity. I fully back them, and they shouldn't allow their layabout colleagues to dissuade them.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 03, 2012
ayox2003:

Because they are two different cities. I'm presently in London for the Olympics and I will gladly drive a truck. Not in Nigeria! Never! Risking my life on those dungeons u call roads? In the middle of the night? Never!

Job seekers, if u wanna raise funds for ur business ideas, u can take it. But if not, this is not a job u should risk ur lives doing. Instead, move from house to house and tell people u can be a home teacher for their kids. This is summer! Before u know it, u'd be making more money than u think. You might be lucky enough to get a job through the parents of those kids.

Frawzey.

Really?..... risking your life? levi ajumonu died in dana plane crash, he was on official assignment for nnpc, people have died in their homes where they thought it was safe. you can drive a truck in london but not in nigeria...... first of all you are still a kid just from the way you talk, dangote clearly asked for 25 yrs and above,not some wiz kid wanna be who thinks that life is a game, the people he wants clearly cant afford to go to the olympics so you are just commenting on the wrong session.... try celebrity gossip...
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 03, 2012
Fhemmmy: I am sure if SHELL organized a job fair for truck drivers, even the master degree holder will stand in the sun for days . . .

Fhemmmy dont mind the kids on this forum.... most of them are undergrads who think that once the leave school all the oil firms will come knocking. do the even know that in foreign countries, graduate engineers do not go to rig except for inspection or special maintenance purposes
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by PBundles(m): 10:37am On Aug 03, 2012
I fully understand the outrage as one would think that such a qualification would yield a better job, BUT, note that this happens EVERYHWERE and is based on pure economics. Where there is HIGH unemployment, employers may and will ask for the best qualifications. It happens in the US and in Europe as I have witnessed both. I remember when y2k was a big issue and employers couldnt find anyone they were taking High School grads and training them. if you go to Spain, you will see ( and Im talking from actually seeing this) University grads applying for cleaning jobs. If you were sick and had the resources to choose any doctor, would you not choose the very best qualified. Its economics folks. See the bright side, at least they will get employed and be honest the level of intelect will also rise, which is what I think Dangote is also trying to achieve within his company.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by noleen: 10:53am On Aug 03, 2012
If graduates in Nigeria are employ as truck drivers that means there is no job for school drop out or SSCE holders. pls were are we heading to in Nigeria. There is no need to go to school in Nigeria because is a waste of time and at the end one will be a truck driver. Nigeria for us oh.. let everybody go into politices so that everybody will be senators, governors, president etc. and see were the will get guaduates to even employ as truck drivers. Is a shame for nigeria the giant of Africa employing their graduates as truck drivers.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nwunuken(m): 11:02am On Aug 03, 2012
GboyegaD:

I saw the advert on a friend's wall on FB and I felt it was a joke however, since this is true, it only tells how gullible he is. It is just unfortunate the unemployment situation in Nigeria over the years has gotten worse and people just have to do whatever job they can find.
he paid good salary like graduate collecting no less than #150000
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Sunebanty(m): 11:26am On Aug 03, 2012
poj: It would ve been a bit better if were to be anoda kind of driver, even molue. TRUCK driver! Haba those applauding this, can u sincerely encourage your sibling to take up such? May be u thnk it is ordinary pple dt drives truck, u ve to be MAD to drive a truck. U wil sleep on d road, bush, travel at odd hours just to mention few. Prospective applicants gudluck in advance.
May God bless u my broda,may u neva av any problem to make u employ for dis yeye job.to be a trailer driver u must be a rugged man,smoker and drink alot so u can drive at night.NAIJA
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Sunebanty(m): 11:28am On Aug 03, 2012
poj: It would ve been a bit better if were to be anoda kind of driver, even molue. TRUCK driver! Haba those applauding this, can u sincerely encourage your sibling to take up such? May be u thnk it is ordinary pple dt drives truck, u ve to be MAD to drive a truck. U wil sleep on d road, bush, travel at odd hours just to mention few. Prospective applicants gudluck in advance.
May God bless u my broda,may u neva av any problem to make u employ for dis yeye job.to be a trailer driver u must be a rugged man,smoker and drink alot so u can drive at night.NAIJA if bsc holder is driving his trucks i wonder who will be working in his office and those he will employ to manufacture his goods.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Sunebanty(m): 11:28am On Aug 03, 2012
May God bless u my broda,may u neva av any problem to make u employ for dis yeye job.to be a trailer driver u must be a rugged man,smoker and drink alot so u can drive at night.NAIJA if bsc holder is driving his trucks i wonder who will be working in his office and those he will employ to manufacture his goods.DANGOTE no be ur fault o
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by comm: 11:29am On Aug 03, 2012
Agiliti: All these people who are talking are the same people who would go to yanki with bachelors (even phds) and gladly take job as security men and taxi drivers. dem full for ny/dc/houston

with an unemployment rate of around 24% what do you expect graduates to do?
if dem enter politics, una go talk say dem corupt
if them enter yahoo una go talk say dem dey spoil naija name,
if them enter kidnap una go talk say no be honest job
if dem enter church business, una go talk say dem be fake prophets
if dem enter music business, una no go buy their cd
if them enter armed robbery una go dey cry
if them join boko haram una go dey fear

you can hate the man because he's being monopolistic, but don't hate him because he's trying to provide honest job for people. he's a private entity and not government.
omor teach us o o, I Will not apply sha, I will not condem neither do i recommend.
Agiliti: All these people who are talking are the same people who would go to yanki with bachelors (even phds) and gladly take job as security men and taxi drivers. dem full for ny/dc/houston

you can hate the man because he's being monopolistic, but don't hate him because he's trying to provide honest job for people. he's a private entity and not government.
omor teach us o o, I Will not apply sha, I will not condem neither do i recommend.

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 03, 2012
Can babes apply to please?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 03, 2012
noleen: If graduates in Nigeria are employ as truck drivers that means there is no job for school drop out or SSCE holders. pls were are we heading to in Nigeria. There is no need to go to school in Nigeria because is a waste of time and at the end one will be a truck driver. Nigeria for us oh.. let everybody go into politices so that everybody will be sentors, governors, president etc. and see were the will get guaduates to even employ as truck drivers. Is a shame for nigeria the giant of Africa employing their graduates as truck drivers.

it is a shame that nigeria graduates will suggest that there is no need to go to school because it is a waste of time... and at the same time everybody should go into politics and become senators, governors and president.... that is the thinking of certain ngerian graduate and they feel they are qualified to work in Agip.... SMH
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 03, 2012
kommy: Can babes apply to please?

Correct babe, True spirit of hardwork.... dont mind all these boy toy wiz kid wanna be. abeg apply what a man can do, a woman can do too
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by thirdeye(m): 11:37am On Aug 03, 2012
I believe you will say nothing wrong if you see the same graduate that Dangote wants to employ doing same thing in Europe.
What he did is a good and careful business step. Graduates bring to table their education in whatever business/work they find themselves and most often will do better to an illiterate. Dangote must have had bad experiences with the present crop of illiterate truck drivers and is now ready to upgrade and increase the stake for better output/result.
I am sure the salary will be good.
Meanwhile assuming Chevron is employing graduate truck drivers how many of you will risk and apply?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by tushbobo(m): 11:54am On Aug 03, 2012
Depends on the pay.if the pay is ok , a graduate could work for 3-5 years while saving money to start something.Life is what u make of it.Dont expect the best of jobs just plan and work towards the end point.
i know a woman who sells puff-puff and makes over 50k in profit daily where graduates make 5k per day or less in white collar jobs in the same location.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by omoakin76: 12:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
i really do not see anything wrong in what Dangote is doing trying to give employment to young graduates,its way better than noting than the government that keeps promising employment and dont live up to it.me i have applied
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by mekasonuk: 12:34pm On Aug 03, 2012
He does not need to make the job specific for Bsc/HND holders because it is a non-skilled job and as such implies demeaning the status of our educational system. All he needs to do is to advertise the job; if a graduate or even a Phd holder now picks interest in the job, no problem with that. It is now a question of the individual's choice. I still blame the government for allowing Dangote to be running a monopoly biz in the country.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 1:31pm On Aug 03, 2012
ARES:

Fhemmmy dont mind the kids on this forum.... most of them are undergrads who think that once the leave school all the oil firms will come knocking. do the even know that in foreign countries, graduate engineers do not go to rig except for inspection or special maintenance purposes

Lol
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 03, 2012
ayox2003:

Because they are two different cities. I'm presently in London for the Olympics and I will gladly drive a truck. Not in Nigeria! Never! Risking my life on those dungeons u call roads? In the middle of the night? Never!

Job seekers, if u wanna raise funds for ur business ideas, u can take it. But if not, this is not a job u should risk ur lives doing. Instead, move from house to house and tell people u can be a home teacher for their kids. This is summer! Before u know it, u'd be making more money than u think. You might be lucky enough to get a job through the parents of those kids.

Frawzey.

I dont think you can ever enter Forbes rich list all your life; even 100years after your death because of wrong mentality.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 1:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
bloggz: dey dia, over 500,000 graduates av applied....e be like say u no hear say NO JAB IN 9JA

I am sure many will even apply and yet wont be able to get the job, even with their Ph.D
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by n0m0705(m): 3:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
mekasonuk: He does not need to make the job specific for Bsc/HND holders because it is a non-skilled job and as such implies demeaning the status of our educational system. All he needs to do is to advertise the job; if a graduate or even a Phd holder now picks interest in the job, no problem with that. It is now a question of the individual's choice. I still blame the government for allowing Dangote to be running a monopoly biz in the country.
Thank you my brother, why would he make it specific for graduate? It is not abt pride, it's just demeaning.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2012
^^^ Any job has preferred candidates and i see no big deal in what he has required for, it is a matter of those that are interested applied, while others cross their teeth and look away
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by n0m0705(m): 4:06pm On Aug 03, 2012
Talking about preference, being a graduate has nothing to do with truck driving. I won't blame anyone that applied cos of the obvious state of the country, I just fault the required qualification.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Taiw(m): 4:10pm On Aug 03, 2012
Telling someone to drive trucks on nigeria roads is like sending him to war.some come back alive, others wounded and some dead.That we need to put food on our table doesnt mean we should feed lions in the forest.Its highly risky.we are talking about putting someone's life on the line n idiots are comparing truck driving to cleaners, cab driving e.t.c. No sensible parents will approve of such.Its not all about the money.Health is wealth.If that stupid Dangote wants to help graduates then he should let us drive the company's official cars and not trucks for christ sake. i cant even turn the steering of a truck not to talk of changing the tires n fi.dose wey dey smoke igbo fit apply.me i wud rather go work as a cleanerthan doing this shit.same also goes to corpers that go to borno states n bokoharam states to serve.Money is not everything
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 03, 2012
All you graduates complaining, don't you understand that the quality and value of education has falling? Go to any Nigerian Government run institution today and the unofficial but official campus language is pidgin English; coupled with that, Nigeria is churning out Third rate graduates every year in their thousands; at least Dangote is offering paid employment, being a graduate no longer entitles you to any special privileges in the employment market; while its not your fault, its a telling reality check on current socio-economic conditions, not only in Nigeria but around the world. Out here in the States, a lot of Masters degree holders are long haul truck drivers and you will never hear them complain; graduates hold down 2 to 3 menial jobs to make ends meet. Nigerian youths should get pro active, stop looking for work create work...farming is the easiest way to get rich try it out...do whatever but never say die simples
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2012
n0m0705: Talking about preference, being a graduate has nothing to do with truck driving. I won't blame anyone that applied cos of the obvious state of the country, I just fault the required qualification.

And i dont think there is a big deal for him to ask for people to come and drive a truck regardless of their degree.
People could chose not to apply and like i said earlier, i am sure some of the people that hold Ph.D degree would apply but still not get the job . . .
It is just a job
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by occam(m): 4:59pm On Aug 03, 2012
mekasonuk: He does not need to make the job specific for Bsc/HND holders because it is a non-skilled job and as such implies demeaning the status of our educational system. All he needs to do is to advertise the job; if a graduate or even a Phd holder now picks interest in the job, no problem with that. It is now a question of the individual's choice. I still blame the government for allowing Dangote to be running a monopoly biz in the country.

It's not a slight on our educational system; it's about demand and supply. Few jobs available in Nigeria means too many unemployed people roaming the street. Employers can then cherry pick who they want; that's market forces at play. Driving in fact requires some level of literacy, though having a graduate degree is not required. That said, there are no jobs for the thousands of graduate from our university. Can you fault Dangote for wanting to pick the best available people to work for him?

If unemployment was just 5% few graduate will apply for this job.

Too many graduates in Business Administration, Accounting, Mass Communication, Law, Political Science etc that want to work in offices. This is the problem of our dysfunctional educational system.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gtbank Sacked 142 Staff / Tuesdays and Thursdays Guardian Jobs Adverts & Punch Wed Jobs Adverts / 5,000 Rivers State Job: Crowd Storms Secretariat To Submit Application (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.