Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here (11354 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 23, 2012
naijababe:

Read them all, my grouse with Soyinka is that he's too kind on IBB and far too harsh on Buhari, other than that love him to death.

I have one of Emerson's works on my Note but yet to read it, currently reading Karl Maier's 'This house has fallen' . As for Mein Kampf, I read it about 15 years ago, how someone with such charisma and oratory skills could write such a terrible book is beyond me! One of the worst book I ever read, took me almost a year to finish it.

You must have read the second version published by the allied forces. The first version is on the banned list and thought provoking
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Christafarian(m): 10:57pm On Aug 23, 2012
Ermm.. Acshually, i've two books interesting and worthy of repeated reading; HOW TO LIVE IN PEACE by Boko H.
BASIC RULES OF GRAMMAR by PATIENCE DAME.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Christafarian(m): 10:58pm On Aug 23, 2012
Ermm.. Acshually, i've found two books interesting and worthy of repeated reading; HOW TO LIVE IN PEACE by Boko H.
BASIC RULES OF GRAMMAR by Patience Dame.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by PhysicsQED(m): 11:30pm On Aug 23, 2012
Christafarian: Ermm.. Acshually, i've found two books interesting and worthy of repeated reading; HOW TO LIVE IN PEACE by Boko H.
BASIC RULES OF GRAMMAR by Patience Dame.

lol
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by MOBBDEEP: 11:43pm On Aug 23, 2012
obowunmi:

Just curious. Male or Female?

I'm not a chauvinist or sexist, but, my guess would be that Nimshi is most likely a male.
Few females read like that & you rarely find them being sociable to the extent of spending ample time online.

@ Nimshi, if you are a female, I'm awed & humbled. If you are otherwise ( since there is no place for sitting on the fence here ), thumbs up.
Either way, I'll be honoured & it will be a great pleasure for me to know you more.
Meanwhile, have you ever thought about taking a side shot at being a professional critic of literary works? ( I'm assuming you are not a trained professional or certified academic in Literature & or Journalism) You are way far too good. That piece qualified as one of the best reviews I have seen!
You blew my mind & heart. What Ajanlekoko & Obowunmi said was true.

@ Ajanlekoko, you had me with inventing this thread. Kudos brother.

@ Topic/Post, I read quite a lot even though some of you here are sure going to smoke me!
R. Kiyosaki's whole idealism do not sound pragmatic to me especially when adapted to Sub-Saharan African setting.

The book that readily comes to my mind as a stand-out Non-fictional literature is " A Road Less Travelled "

Yinkay: Discovered a treasure trove of books in ebook format on this site. http://www.gutenberg.org/. Mostly downloadable to mobile devices on different formats,never had a boring moment.Currently reading Xerxes-Makers of History.

That's probably the most popular site for bookworms who are internet-inclined.
It's open-sourced & you will find there classic books that are out of print & VERY VERY RARE BOOKS.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by pleep(m): 11:44pm On Aug 23, 2012
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by pleep(m): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
Hmnn. . . your attempt at remote psychoanalysis has serious problems.

(1) can you count? How many sentences were in that particular post?

(2) what's the meaning of 'jargon' in your post? You're not communicating; 'jargon' has no place there

(3) The '2nd thought' you suggest is actually quite low (to be polite; I could try to explain this, but when I have a lot of time); we must write so as not to be misunderstood; there were less than three sentences in the post, and, it appears you're the one attempting to 'compensate' for something; here's why: rather than comment on the main topic, and/or on the substance of that poster's quest for personal information, you're wasting your talent on meaningless speculation and useless attacks.

(4) Have you considered that this poster may not be 'trying to sound smart' at all? Have you considered that your certainty on this may tell much about you? Have you considered that you may be betraying your own inner thoughts?

(5) Why not share your thoughts about those books you've read rather than wasting your talent on personal attacks?
[size=30pt]STFU[/size] grin
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by doja(m): 1:22am On Aug 24, 2012
I am presently enjoying african writers, I just finished reading ' A Paradise for Maggots' by adebanwi and I am starting 'interventions' volume 1&2 by Wole Soyinka tonight.

My target for the rest of the year is to read atleast 2 more Biographies before the end of the year and my preference is for a mathematician/physicist or a sucessful asian leader .
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Man51ut(m): 3:24am On Aug 24, 2012
Inverting the Pyramid- A history of football tactics by Jonathan Wilson. If you like football, you should read this. Combines the history of tactics with insights on the teams and personalities who developed and used them. also a bit of social history at the time.

How to lose friends and alienate people by Toby Young. - This is mad. If you like the show entourage, you might like this. Has a pretty heartwarming ending too.

Freakonomics. As mentioned. Add another fan of the podcast too.

Live from New York. Written 'oral' history of saturday night live.

the complete far side. absolutely massive. weighs about 10 kilos. Has all the comics, but for the non fiction bent, essays and trivia about what Larsen was thinking or feeling at the time.

Have the Checklist Manifesto on my reading list. Prolly the closest, I will ever come to reading a self-help book.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by wizecoder: 8:14am On Aug 24, 2012
Hunmmmmm ......
Where will i start fromm...hunnnmmmm..yes
May your way be rough ... Tai solanrin,
Richest man in babylon
who moved my cheese
Rich dad series
Long walk to freedom,
Monopoly rules
Blue ocean strategy,
mafia manager
The Prince by Niccolo Mach.....?
Why we struck by wale ademoyega(the story of the first nigerian coup)
My command by olusegun obasanjo
48 laws of power
Art of seduction
33 strategies of war
The 50th Law,
how the west underdevelop africa(walter roodney)
The Economic hitman
Art of the deal
Why we want you to be rich...
..... And many more.... i am a book addict
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by rash47(m): 9:18am On Aug 24, 2012

Rayuwar ta (my life) by Sir Ahmadu Bello

The Roots, by Alex Harley

Still searching for the book; 10 days that shook the world, by elgar snow. Read the summary sometimes ago,it detailed the confusion that xterised the activities of the bolshevicks at it formative stage
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Teediggz: 9:22am On Aug 24, 2012
A centur of war: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order by F William Engdahl. Very enlightening read as to how the world is largely under the grip of the Anglo-American empire for close to 300 years from bodies like the East India company to Slumberger, Microsoft etc via generations of perfecting divide & conquer tactics. A must read for us 3rd worlders.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nimshi: 10:00am On Aug 24, 2012
doja: I am presently enjoying african writers, I just finished reading ' A Paradise for Maggots' by adebanwi and I am starting 'interventions' volume 1&2 by Wole Soyinka tonight.

My target for the rest of the year is to read atleast 2 more Biographies before the end of the year and my preference is for a mathematician/physicist or a sucessful asian leader .

doja: interesting post.

Most posters aren't posting African authors; I am having a renewed interest in African authors and hope you'd write some more about these two books.

First, Adebanwi: A paradise for maggots - I can't find this book on amazon.co.uk, neither at amazon.com; any leads?

Second: Wole Soyinka 'Interventions 1 & 2' - couldn't find this either; where could one get it?

I find biographies sometimes tedious; a poster above wrote of Bill Clinton's 'My Life'; couldn't get far with this bulky book; perhaps it's just that some familiarity with the subject robs of the enjoyment of reading it. Soyinka's biographies are different though; he explains why . . . But if you have any recommendations, be kind to drop them here

Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nimshi: 10:02am On Aug 24, 2012
pleep: [size=30pt]STFU[/size] grin

Brilliant post, pleep. Very deep!
You almost disappointed. But, brilliant.

Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nimshi: 10:10am On Aug 24, 2012
MOBBDEEP:

I'm not a chauvinist or sexist, but, my guess would be that Nimshi is most likely a male.
Few females read like that & you rarely find them being sociable to the extent of spending ample time online.

@ Nimshi, if you are a female, I'm awed & humbled. If you are otherwise ( since there is no place for sitting on the fence here ), thumbs up.
Either way, I'll be honoured & it will be a great pleasure for me to know you more.
Meanwhile, have you ever thought about taking a side shot at being a professional critic of literary works? ( I'm assuming you are not a trained professional or certified academic in Literature & or Journalism) You are way far too good. That piece qualified as one of the best reviews I have seen!
You blew my mind & heart. What Ajanlekoko & Obowunmi said was true.

@ Ajanlekoko, you had me with inventing this thread. Kudos brother.

@ Topic/Post, I read quite a lot even though some of you here are sure going to smoke me!
R. Kiyosaki's whole idealism do not sound pragmatic to me especially when adapted to Sub-Saharan African setting.

The book that readily comes to my mind as a stand-out Non-fictional literature is " A Road Less Travelled "

That's probably the most popular site for bookworms who are internet-inclined.
It's open-sourced & you will find there classic books that are out of print & VERY VERY RARE BOOKS.

First off, I'd say, you also humble me (I couldn't say it in Norah Jones' voice, but I would hope it's half as believable as it is). Thanks for your kind words. But I am slightly surprised at one or two views expresed here; I have attempted to seek clarification - email sent to your address here; I hope it works. I'm looking at that post again and may have to apologise. But, you've dropped fantastic notes; I didn't know Project Gutenberg had files for mobile devices. . .

Ajanlekoko: your thread's caught a wildfire; fantastic to see it reach critical mass; well done.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nimshi: 10:16am On Aug 24, 2012
naijababe:

1. You Must Set Forth at Dawn
2. The Man Died: Prison Notes
3. Ake: The Years of Childhood
4. Ibadan: The Penkelemes Years
Amongst others...

Read them all, my grouse with Soyinka is that he's too kind on IBB and far too harsh on Buhari, other than that love him to death.

Ajanlekoko/naijababe: where could one get "The Man Died"? Quite rare.

naijababe: "This House has Fallen" was almost a good read . . . going by the narrative, I'd formed a few opinions, perhaps, if there's a lot of time this could inspire a discussion: Maier writes well, but his account of Nigerian history is somewhat skewed; he doesn't appear to acknowledge the damage done by his own ancestors. Unfortunately, his book is in many ways of the same quality as other efforts by journalists and such types who attempt to write on serious subjects like science, history, etc etc The book also appears to have been written in a hurry: there are 'mistakes' in some of the things I know, so I wonder about the things in the book that I didn't know about; there're also many needless repetitions . . .

Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On Aug 24, 2012
Man_51ut: Inverting the Pyramid- A history of football tactics by Jonathan Wilson. If you like football, you should read this. Combines the history of tactics with insights on the teams and personalities who developed and used them. also a bit of social history at the time.

I have the book, but yet to read it. I'll do that next vacation.

Nimshi:

Ajanlekoko/naijababe: where could one get "The Man Died"?

Not sure if it's still in print. I have a copy, handed down by my father. Have no plans to sell or loan it though
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by manosteel(m): 11:11am On Aug 24, 2012
The Great Controversy by Ellen White. My all time favourite.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 24, 2012
Nimshi:

Ajanlekoko/naijababe: where could one get "The Man Died"? Quite rare.

naijababe: "This House has Fallen" was almost a good read . . . going by the narrative, I'd formed a few opinions, perhaps, if there's a lot of time this could inspire a discussion: Maier writes well, but his account of Nigerian history is somewhat skewed; he doesn't appear to acknowledge the damage done by his own ancestors. Unfortunately, his book is in many ways of the same quality as other efforts by journalists and such types who attempt to write on serious subjects like science, history, etc etc The book also appears to have been written in a hurry: there are 'mistakes' in some of the things I know, so I wonder about the things in the book that I didn't know about; there're also many needless repetitions . . .

Don't know if you are in naija but I find Ojuelegba and Yaba to be goldmines when it comes to finding rare books, got the man died at Adefila bookshop at Yaba grin.

Now on Maier, he acknowledges his ancestors damages but rather subtly, you have to be paying attention to notice. I agree that the book appear to be written in hurry because he was trying to put so much in to a book he decided should be a small book. I wouldn't say there's a lot repetition per se . . . . . . just that Nigerians have a common enemy they refuse to either acknowledge or are ignorant of which in sense makes some of the narrative appear rather repetitive. I'd like to know the mistakes in though.

When I'm done, I'm moving on to Soyinka's Open Sore of a continent.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by mbulela: 1:05pm On Aug 24, 2012
Nimshi:

doja: interesting post.

Most posters aren't posting African authors; I am having a renewed interest in African authors and hope you'd write some more about these two books.

I find biographies sometimes tedious; a poster above wrote of Bill Clinton's 'My Life'; couldn't get far with this bulky book; perhaps it's just that some familiarity with the subject robs of the enjoyment of reading it. Soyinka's biographies are different though; he explains why . . . But if you have any recommendations, be kind to drop them here

I have a recommendation. Autobiography of an African author. you probably do not know much about him so the familiarity issue you raised does not arise.
Sometimes There is a Void: Memoirs of an Outsider by Zakes Mda
very good read,insightful and funny without being less serious. Zakes is a master story teller, so i was not surprised.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by inene: 1:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
Non Fiction
The Richest man in Babylon
7 Habits of Highly Effective People by S.R. Covey
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Rich Dad, Poor Dad, ( one of the worst books i have come across
The Billionaire's Secrets
Chicken Soup for the Soul

Fiction
Dan Browns The Lost synbols is the one i am reading now
angels and demons by Dan Brown
the Davinci Code by Dan Brown- these are block busters
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by OXYZ: 1:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
Thank you all.I've really learnt a lot from you guys,God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by MAYOWAAK: 1:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
Why we Struck:The story of Nigeria's first military coup by Wale Ademoyega

Contemporary Issues ON Nigerian Football by Mummini Alao

Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 24, 2012
inene: Non Fiction
The Richest man in Babylon
7 Habits of Highly Effective People by S.R. Covey
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Rich Dad, Poor Dad, ( one of the worst books i have come across
The Billionaire's Secrets
Chicken Soup for the Soul

Fiction
Dan Browns The Lost synbols is the one i am reading now
angels and demons by Dan Brown
the Davinci Code by Dan Brown- these are block busters

Dan brown? Mehn you re living in the old school. Just grab any of james rollin's SIGMA works.i promise you this : you will thank me for introducing you to the new guy who made dan brown look amateurish.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2012
I'm not really a non fiction person. However, I love reading horrible histories (yeah, I know itz kinda childish but I jus love it!), real (nasty) history, funny as hell
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nimshi: 5:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
mbulela:
I have a recommendation. Autobiography of an African author. you probably do not know much about him so the familiarity issue you raised does not arise.
Sometimes There is a Void: Memoirs of an Outsider by Zakes Mda
very good read,insightful and funny without being less serious. Zakes is a master story teller, so i was not surprised.

Thanks.

I haven't ever heard of Zakes Mda; but now I could say I have; more than 500 pages; I'll make a note and may be wait for the paperback. The only South African I'd read is J. M. Coetzee, but since we're talking non-fiction, his books:

'Stranger Shores' (book of 29 of his essays from 1986 - 1999; read partially, but a fascinating tour of the writer's depth), and here, Coetzee (if memory serves) sides with Soyinka - if less militantly - against Ali Mazrui's portrayal of Africa and Africans in Mazrui's 'The Africans'.

And perhaps 'The Lives of Animals' may qualify as non-fiction being a moral argument based on a fictional background. I'd say if we admit Soyinka's autobiographical works as 'non-fiction', then this one too should qualify.

Coetzee presents as a sensitive writer: careful, stingy with words, and brutal in succinct delivery.

I would hope to read something new from Zakes Mda. Thanks!

naijababe: thanks for the tip.

Ajanlekoko: I'm looking for one for keeps; the copy I'd encountered and partially read couldn't be kept. The Man Died is out of print, and it's a surprise the opportunities of a reprint haven't been seized; Soyinka doesn't need the money, I'd guess. And I'm guessing we'll have to wait a long long long time for the book to become available.
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
@ Nimshi, try Amazon. I just did a search and it returned a few copies floating about, there's even a second hand copy for £3.00
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by patwilly(m): 8:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
U guys are all mentioning foreign books. How about Elechi Amadi's SUNSET IN BIAFRA?. The book chronicles the author's experiences during the nigerian civil war and gives a microscopic view of how the minority tribes (ikwerre, ogoni, efik, calabar, ibibio etc) in the then biafran region felt marginalised by the igbos during the war.reading this book will also offer the average igbo reader the perspectives held by minority southerners on ethnic commonality especially those (igbos) who are quick to lump southern states into their so called biafra republic...
PS: i am not a southerner rather an advocate for a one nigeria. It is glaringly clear that it would be beneficial to us all if we remain as one strong indivisible entity rather than small independent tribal enclaves riddled with fear and suspicion of its(most probably) bigger neighbour!
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2012
patwilly: U guys are all mentioning foreign books. How about Elechi Amadi's SUNSET IN BIAFRA?. The book chronicles the author's experiences during the nigerian civil war and gives a microscopic view of how the minority tribes (ikwerre, ogoni, efik, calabar, ibibio etc) in the then biafran region felt marginalised by the igbos during the war.reading this book will also offer the average igbo reader the perspectives held by minority southerners on ethnic commonality especially those (igbos) who are quick to lump southern states into their so called biafra republic...
PS: i am not a southerner rather an advocate for a one nigeria. It is glaringly clear that it would be beneficial to us all if we remain as one strong indivisible entity rather than small independent tribal enclaves riddled with fear and suspicion of its(most probably) bigger neighbour!

Great recommendation, been looking for non-igbo perspectives. I am considering Saro-Wiwa's 'On a Darkling Plain' too.

1 Like

Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by OzReal(m): 10:19pm On Aug 24, 2012
Non-Fiction:

The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
The Mafia Manager by V.
Animal Farm by George Orwell.
The Prince by N.Machiavelli.
The Social Contract by J.J Rosseau

Fiction:

Animal Farm by George Orwell.

N.B: I really have no idea where to classify Animal Farm. undecided
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by adaora20(f): 7:46am On Aug 25, 2012
half of a yellow moon by chimanda aniche
Re: Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here by isquar3d3(m): 7:50am On Aug 25, 2012
MAYOWAAK: Why we Struck:The story of Nigeria's first military coup by Wale Ademoyega
great read. The Art of Seduction is another.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Seer...in Your Mind! / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) / Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.