Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,558 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? (5950 Views)

A Lady Using An Electric Iron To 'Straighten' Her Hair / Lye Relaxer That Can Straighten Verrry Coarse Hair? / Reccomendable To Flat Iron Natural Hair? (2) (3) (4)

Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 02, 2012
I usually do it once or twice a year, as I don't like using too much heat on my hair.

What about you?
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by meyri: 6:27am On Aug 03, 2012
Same with you . I just dont see why I should spend so much time on style that last about a day.
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by kandiikane(m): 7:14am On Aug 03, 2012
Lol, a day? For me it lasts a few seconds. All I need is a sprinkle of any kind of product.
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 03, 2012
I’ve an appointment later today at a salon to get my hair flat-ironed. This would be my first time doing it this year and my first time going to a salon to get it flat-ironed (since I've been natural; 2007). The times when I did flat-iron, I did it myself at home. But I’ve never been able to get it completely straight. It would always come out looking like I brow-dried it instead, even though I used a flat-iron. This’s why I’m considering going to a salon this time. I know they would do it better than I would and it could probably last me about two weeks. I’ve been yearning to leave my own hair out for the longest time. I’m usually in two-strand twists (with my own hair) or extension braids, but I want to wear my hair out for once. I’ve been having second thoughts from the get-go about going to the salon. 1. I can try doing it myself and 2. I don’t trust salons that much, especially when it comes to heat; and they likely won’t be as gentle as I would be. I know If I do it myself it probably would come out looking poofy and blow-dried again, although I have been reading on “how to get the straight look on natural hair with a flat-iron” and the things I could do differently this time. From one forum, there was one person who said she used beeswax and it gave her the sleek look. But I also read that beeswax is hard to wash out, so I’m now hesitating. There’s also "The Chase Method” and I could try that. I’m thinking maybe I should just do it myself and manage am like that, even if it’s just for two days. I’m planning on putting my hair back in braids at the end of this month anyway. I still have about 8 hours until my appointment, so I’ve time to decide, lol. What to do, what to do. :/
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2012
meyri: Same with you . I just dont see why I should spend so much time on style that last about a day.
Hehe.

kandiikane: Lol, a day? For me it lasts a few seconds. All I need is a sprinkle of any kind of product.
Yep, using products with water when the hair's straightened would cause it to revert.
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by meyri: 6:17pm On Aug 03, 2012
Yield: I’ve an appointment later today at a salon to get my hair flat-ironed. This would be my first time doing it this year and my first time going to a salon to get it flat-ironed (since I've been natural; 2007). The times when I did flat-iron, I did it myself at home. But I’ve never been able to get it completely straight. It would always come out looking like I brow-dried it instead, even though I used a flat-iron. This’s why I’m considering going to a salon this time. I know they would do it better than I would and it could probably last me about two weeks. I’ve been yearning to leave my own hair out for the longest time. I’m usually in two-strand twists (with my own hair) or extension braids, but I want to wear my hair out for once. I’ve been having second thoughts from the get-go about going to the salon. 1. I can try doing it myself and 2. I don’t trust salons that much, especially when it comes to heat; and they likely won’t be as gentle as I would be. I know If I do it myself it probably would come out looking poofy and blow-dried again, although I have been reading on “how to get the straight look on natural hair with a flat-iron” and the things I could do differently this time. From one forum, there was one person who said she used beeswax and it gave her the sleek look. But I also read that beeswax is hard to wash out, so I’m now hesitating. There’s also "The Chase Method” and I could try that. I’m thinking maybe I should just do it myself and manage am like that, even if it’s just for two days. I’m planning on putting my hair back in braids at the end of this month anyway. I still have about 8 hours until my appointment, so I’ve time to decide, lol. What to do, what to do. :/
Be careful w/ the heat. If you start to smell your hair as they flat iron it they fried your hair.Then ur hair will look limp when u wash your hair. Just be vocal and tellem what u want. What chase method?
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2012
Well it depends, I usually put my hair in weaves or braids. When I take them out I wash and straighten, that is if I'm not putting it in braids or weaves as soon as possible. And it lasts as long as 2 weeks still looking soft. You know you cant put liquid on your hair now when straightened grin, I use different kind of oils to keep it shiny, like Vit E, olive oil. I use those water base products or sprays when in braids or weaves. I'm not that particular about heat whether it's damaging or not, all I know is my hair is growing better than it ever was when I was with a perm.

Sometimes I feel like doing thread sef. I think that was what our fore-mothers use to tame their hair. grin
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 1:41am On Aug 04, 2012
Update: I went and it turned out great!
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 04, 2012
meyri:
Be careful w/ the heat. If you start to smell your hair as they flat iron it they fried your hair.Then ur hair will look limp when u wash your hair. Just be vocal and tellem what u want. What chase method?

Nah, they knew what they were doing. Smell my hair? Nope. It would take a great amount of heat for anything like that to happen. The hairdresser was very gentle. I couldn't believe the length either because my hair shrinks up a lot and this's my first time flat-ironing this year. It's so bouncy and flowy. I don't know how long it will last though; will try and see if it will last at least a week.

The chase method is when you comb the hair through, as you're flat-ironing it, so it straightens better. There're youtube videos of it, so you can look it up.
Re: Naturals, how often do you straighten (flat-iron) your hair? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 08, 2013

Choir Uniform / Sagging / Classy Knee Length Asoebi Gown.