Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria (13274 Views)

US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria / PROFILE OF A UNIVERSAL LEADER – KOFI ANNAN / Kofi Annan Quits As Un-arab League Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by lordspiritual(m): 7:41pm On Aug 02, 2012
Kofi Annan, whose initiative to forge peace in war-ravaged Syria failed to take hold, has resigned as the U.N. and Arab League joint special envoy to the country.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced the move Thursday, saying that Annan told him and Arab League Secretary-General Nabil El Araby that he didn't want to renew his mandate when it expires on August 31.

Ban praised Annan's "determined and courageous efforts" to end the nearly 17-month-long Syrian crisis, a conflict that started when the regime brutally cracked down on peaceful protesters in March 2011 and morphed into a nationwide uprising.

But Ban cited two factors undermining Annan: The government and the opposition have been determined "to rely on ever-increasing violence," and there have been "persistent divisions within the (U.N.) Security Council."

Among the five permanent members of the council, Russia and China have persistently disagreed with tough action against the Assad regime favored by the United States, Britain and France.

As a result, Annan's departure reflects the utter failure of world diplomacy and Syrian leaders to end the fighting, in which opposition groups say more than 20,000 people have died, thousands have been imprisoned by the regime and tens of thousands have been displaced from their homes.

The conflict is now internationally regarded as a civil war between an armed resistance movement and President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Ban announced Annan's move with "deep regret" and said he and El Araby are looking for a successor for what he described as a "crucial peacemaking effort."

The appointment of the former secretary-general in February was supported by world powers and the Syrian government.

After he took the post, he worked to formulate a six-point peace plan for Syria that included a cease-fire. The United Nations established the U.N. Supervision Mission in Syria to monitor the efforts to forge the plan.

Annan's plan called for establishing a cease-fire between al-Assad's government and the opposition, allowing humanitarian groups access to the population, releasing detainees and starting a political dialogue. It also called for government forces to withdraw from city centers.

Despite an initial and small drop in violence after his plan was announced, fighting raged nonstop. The terrain became so dangerous in Syria that UNSMIS monitors had to suspend their observation missions.

Ban said that Annan worked within the mandate provided to him by the U.N. General Assembly and that he is "indebted to him and his team for all they have tried to achieve."

"Kofi Annan deserves our profound admiration for the selfless way in which he has put his formidable skills and prestige to this most difficult and potentially thankless of assignments," Ban said.

Ban said peace can come only if there's a "firm commitment to dialogue" among the players in Syria and international unity.

"Tragically, the spiral of violence in Syria is continuing. The hand extended to turn away from violence in favor of dialogue and diplomacy -- as spelled out in the six-point plan -- has not been taken, even though it still remains the best hope for the people of Syria," Ban said.

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullarticle?articleId=urn:newsml:CNN.com:20120802:syria-annan-resign:1&branding=&category=cnnd_world&pagesize=10
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Lordave: 7:54pm On Aug 02, 2012
They wan kill the old man? Abeg make im retire jorr.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by manny4life(m): 7:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
Fret not, it was in the news today "Obama signed a secret order to arm rebels to overthrow Assad". It all makes sense what Mr Annan has signaled to resign. embarassed embarassed embarassed Talk about western political influence? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by snowdrops(m): 7:57pm On Aug 02, 2012
And to use the NL cliche. . . .

How does that change the price of Garri in the Market.

1 Like

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by XFive: 8:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
He resigned very late. He for resign since knowing that this is just mission impossible. Let us watch and see how long Russia and China will keep Assad on that seat.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Elueme: 8:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Good decision.. The power tussle between the western allied and the middle east is too much for Annan to make any meaningful progress. He was being frustrated, no sincere move for peace....
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
The Syria Mission is a delicate one, Annan needs to stay away before this gets to WW3, America, Britain and Qatar has been arming the rebels, while Russia has been arming the Government. I dont know why Assad is not ready to step down and spare his life. This war, will take every of their souls. Someone has to talk to Assad. Once that chemical weapon stock-pile gets into rebel hands, it might finds its way into Nigeria. God help us.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by manny4life(m): 8:04pm On Aug 02, 2012
snowdrops: And to use the NL cliche. . . .

I have watched your post, again, must every news change the price of garri in the market? SMH at most of you folks, since it did not change the price of garri, how about you walk away and don't EVER click on foreign news anymore....shioor angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by gramci: 8:06pm On Aug 02, 2012
He has no business remaining there since both parties have resolved to settle their differences through the barrel of the gun.

I just wish the opposition can get the necessary international support to capture Aleppo. That will hasten Assed's going the Gaddafi's way.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by manny4life(m): 8:09pm On Aug 02, 2012
^^^

Don't worry the opposition will get what they wish for now that Obama has signed the secret order directing agencies like CIA to support them with weapons. CIA is about to create another Al-Quaeda in Syria, I weep for Africa.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by ukpaku: 8:13pm On Aug 02, 2012
dem no de tell blind man say rain de fall na.

2 Likes

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by dasparrow: 8:18pm On Aug 02, 2012
manny4life: Fret not, it was in the news today "Obama signed a secret order to arm rebels to overthrow Assad". It all makes sense what Mr Annan has signaled to resign. embarassed embarassed embarassed Talk about western political influence? undecided undecided undecided

Yes, I read that too. America always causing confusion and war in far away countries. One day, they will bite more than they can chew because when God's wrath comes upon them, they will regret the day they became a nation.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by photons(m): 8:18pm On Aug 02, 2012
another president to go down.... why wont assad quietly leave... na by force to rule persin?
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Freiburger(m): 8:19pm On Aug 02, 2012
i wouldn't do the opposite i were him, age is running out of the guy's side, this is the time for him to relax and get himdelf togther for all he has worked for and these silly animals are pushing him there let them look for another person who can do the job, maybe George Bush.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Blackteeth(m): 8:23pm On Aug 02, 2012
snowdrops: And to use the NL cliche. . . .

Thats one of the many reasons why Nigeria is lagging behind. The thought of the average Nigerian is centered on garri.

10 Likes

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Bright2(m): 8:23pm On Aug 02, 2012
It's already too late for Asad to step down cos even if he does, he will still die! So the war have to continue. angry
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by snowdrops(m): 8:24pm On Aug 02, 2012
manny4life:

I have watched your post, again, must every news change the price of garri in the market? SMH at most of you folks, since it did not change the price of garri, how about you walk away and don't EVER click on foreign news anymore....shioor angry angry angry

I was expecting semi illiterate posts like this in response to my rhetoric one. And alas, I was not disappointed.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Freiburger(m): 8:25pm On Aug 02, 2012
Bright2: It's already too late for Asad to step down cos even if he steps does, he will still die! So the war have to continue. angry
So if you were him, you will take that descision. because you know you will die, a lot of innocent ones must go with you right?
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by gramci: 8:25pm On Aug 02, 2012
dasparrow:

Yes, I read that too. America always causing confusion and war in far away countries. One day, they will bite more than they can chew because when God's wrath comes upon them, they will regret the day they became a nation.

I beg to disagree, America is helping to make the world a safer place.

1 Like

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by gramci: 8:28pm On Aug 02, 2012
manny4life: ^^^

Don't worry the opposition will get what they wish for now that Obama has signed the secret order directing agencies like CIA to support them with weapons. CIA is about to create another Al-Quaeda in Syria, I weep for Africa.

Do you expect America to stand by and do nothing?

2 Likes

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by manny4life(m): 8:29pm On Aug 02, 2012
dasparrow:

One day? Did you say one day? That day MAY NEVER or WILL NEVER come. While I DO NOT support Assad his regime nor his killing of innocent citizens, but interference of the CIA will worsen the situation, we're already know the results even before the cards have been dealt. Look around you, from Middle East to Africa, U.S. dictates for most of them and you say they will bite off more than they can chew?

I love America, but I think our govt leaders have already done that. Didn't Romney say that he will support Israel if they attacked Iran? Think about what will happen should Obama loose on Nov 4, the world is becoming unsafe, if things are handled with power and might rather than diplomacy, the world will degenerate into WW3. This war won't be fought by World powers but fought through their proteges. Guess who will be affected? I'll leave you to answer that
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Bright2(m): 8:30pm On Aug 02, 2012
@freiburger, Asad may succeed at last who know? Other than giving up at this stage. Please ask Hosni Mubarak wat happened to him after given up !

1 Like

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Blackteeth(m): 8:30pm On Aug 02, 2012
gramci:

Yeah. As long as there is something to benefit.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by manny4life(m): 8:31pm On Aug 02, 2012
snowdrops:

I was expecting semi illiterate posts like this in response to my rhetoric one. And alas, I was not disappointed.

Well, we're not surprised, however, I don't know why you're still here, after all, the news did not bring down the price of garri, did it? So move along to some news that will affect the price of garri.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by manny4life(m): 8:34pm On Aug 02, 2012
gramci:

Do you expect America to stand by and do nothing?

Stand by and do nothing? In what world have you been? America has been doing underground work long before now, just that the Assad regime wasn't budging and the U.S. just declared their intentions OPENLY. Thanks to their Russian Allies, that have voted "CONTINUOUSLY with A NO" to Syrian sanctions. Let me ask you, all the diplomatic and military defection in the Assad regime, you think diplomats and generals just thought it was nice to defect? Come on man, live in reality. Assad was committing a Human Right violation but he did not pose any threat to other nations like having nuclear weapons like Iran does...

Asking the CIA and probably in the future sending military artillery down there with spiral the events of what's gonna happen. Ain't no telling just like Libya, Syria WILL NEVER remain the same. I love America, but I got to say the truth sometimes, American leaders are doing too much, in this case work with sanctions and diplomacy not arming rebels with sophisticated weapon that U.S. may never get back or even control.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Freiburger(m): 8:36pm On Aug 02, 2012
Bright2: @freiburger, Asad may succeed at last who know? Other than giving up at this stage. Please ask Hosni Mubarak wat happened to him after given up !
So what i'm getting from you is this, he should do everything he can to stay in power so he can avoid what happened to Mubarack.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Remii(m): 8:38pm On Aug 02, 2012
Billyonaire: The Syria Mission is a delicate one, Annan needs to stay away before this gets to WW3, America, Britain and Qatar has been arming the rebels, while Russia has been arming the Government. I dont know why Assad is not ready to step down and spare his life. This war, will take every of their souls. Someone has to talk to Assad. Once that chemical weapon stock-pile gets into rebel hands, it might finds its way into Nigeria. God help us.

that guy can no longer save his life, he would either die like Gadaffi in the war or get killed thru hanging like Sadaam after some kind of court trial, very sad
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by sarutobie(m): 8:41pm On Aug 02, 2012
gramci:

Looks can be decieving...

2 Likes

Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Bright2(m): 8:44pm On Aug 02, 2012
Freiburger,if Mubarak was given a fair trial atlist Assad & others to come would have been encouraged to step down at this point but for now,Assad have to fight to see the end i guess dat's wat he's trying to prove! But all thesame,innocent people has died already so the judgement will likely be like Muburak's vedict so if it were you,what will you do?
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by Freiburger(m): 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
Hope Nigerians are reading this thread, Jonanathan as well.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by gramci: 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
manny4life:

Stand by and do nothing? In what world have you been? America has been doing underground work long before now, just that the Assad regime wasn't budging and the U.S. just declared their intentions OPENLY. Thanks to their Russian Allies, that have voted "CONTINUOUSLY with A NO" to Syrian sanctions. Let me ask you, all the diplomatic and military defection in the Assad regime, you think diplomats and generals just thought it was nice to defect? Come on man, live in reality. Assad was committing a Human Right violation but he did not pose any threat to other nations like having nuclear weapons like Iran does...

Asking the CIA and probably in the future sending military artillery down there with spiral the events of what's gonna happen. Ain't no telling just like Libya, Syria WILL NEVER remain the same. I love America, but I got to say the truth sometimes, American leaders are doing too much, in this case work with sanctions and diplomacy not arming rebels with sophisticated weapon that U.S. may never get back or even control.

At least you agree with me that their is for America's intervention, don't you also think that since Assad has been relying on it Russian and Chinese ally to stay power, that America has no choice but to employ other means to remove Assad from power.
Re: Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria by xeonfredp: 8:48pm On Aug 02, 2012
its sad to here that annam have resained,but that mith seve hes life
in another event if uss send special trops to siria or to any contry in the mild east then russia ,china, korea should get involve and stop all af them with power

anyway the war is on
so it would be good to have some rocket fallen in france some in the uuss some hundreds over ingland, and all the remainen big wepon at isrrael
that would bring the peace back to the world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Didn't Burn BRT Buses In Lagos - Nigerian Army / Woman Sued Police For Shooting Her Dog 15 Times / Syrian Refugees Rescued Nigerian From Fire!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.