Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:49 PM

Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State - Properties (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State (202272 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Parapet Roofing Support Building In Ebonyi State / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (55) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by princeonx: 3:30am On Jan 27, 2013
^^
Good point!
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:47am On Jan 27, 2013
Demain_man: @ All, Don't blame the tiles, blame the tiler! A bad tiler will mess up even those your imported from US and Europe tiles. There are good tiles in Nigeria at less the cost, you just have to shine your eyes. What makes a tile fake by the way? These days, there are even marble looking ceramic tiles at a fraction of the cost. You won't even know except you are told.

The only reason i belief anyone would import tiles these days is just to show off their wealth and not because of any 'quality'. Of course, if you have it, flaunt it o!. Wetin una dey build sef? Castle? Abi no be dat same 'third world' Nigeria again? My people modesty should be our watch word in that country pls. Avoid unnecessary wastages.

Prof Spyder is sourcing all his tiles in Naija and we all can see how well his house is coming out!

**Make sure to use a very good tiler. That is the secret**

You are correct man, we have tiles here in Nigeria, look at this stocked shop......

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:48am On Jan 27, 2013
Look at the one I did in my own house

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:49am On Jan 27, 2013
and sometimes I get very confused in the markets......

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:51am On Jan 27, 2013
about the shape, color, size and how to match it with the color theme for the rest of the house....

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:53am On Jan 27, 2013
This is only Enugu o cheesy By the time you enter Onitsha, Aba or Lagos, dem go take tiles pursue you grin

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:54am On Jan 27, 2013
The frontal tiles, for exterior use mainly....

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:56am On Jan 27, 2013
Frontal crack tiles, e dey grin

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 6:02am On Jan 27, 2013
There were tiles I saw for as much as N5,000 per sq mtr, some for N3,500 and some as cheap as N900. It all depends on our budget and tastes.
I discovered a new tiles importer in Enugu with very unique new stock, I did not take the pictures but I plan to buy tiles there for this very duplex in this thread. Lets see how creative we can get while finishing this house.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by tlops(m): 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
Good Job Guys!
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Nobody: 2:02am On Jan 28, 2013
spyder880: There were tiles I saw for as much as N5,000 per sq mtr, some for N3,500 and some as cheap as N900. It all depends on our budget and tastes.
I discovered a new tiles importer in Enugu with very unique new stock, I did not take the pictures but I plan to buy tiles there for this very duplex in this thread. Lets see how creative we can get while finishing this house.

Are tiles cheaper or better when bought overseas? The answer is it depends. At the prices quoted above by Spyder 5000 naira per sqm is $31.25 per sqm @160 to 1; 3500 naira is $21.87; 1500 naira is 9.37 dollars; even 900 naira is. $5.63. These costs are not relatively cheap. I know that in the U.S. you can find a good auction where you can buy high quality tiles at less than $1.00 per square ft. You can buy high quality granite tiles for less than $2.00 per square ft.

I am aware that bad tillers do mess up even quality tiles but ugly tile work could be either bad tiles or bad tillers or a combination of both. A few years ago when I built my personal house, it was tiled but tiles were removed after I saw how horrible they looked. I had to replace them with Terrazzo.

Nigerians seem to like these flowery usually ugly by the way set of tiles especially in the bathrooms. Due to lack of maintenance these tiles seem to look terrible after many years of neglect. Also, Nigerians use smooth surface tiles on the floors thereby creating hazards within the homes.

In the U.S., Terrazo is more expensive and more regarded than tiles. However, Nigerians seem to have abandoned this form of flooring in favor of tiles for some reasons. There is an auction coming up soon and I hope to buy as much building materials as I can. I intend to buy doors, tiles, sinks, commode etc. I have already bought 385 gallons of high quality paints for less than $700 or 112,000 naira. I used $2000 to ship and clear it with other items in Nigeria. Some of the paints are regularly $40 to $200 per gallon but I bought them from an auction of hardware store going out of business. These types of deals abound in the U.S.

1 Like

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by MaxNdu: 5:38am On Jan 28, 2013
omonuan:

Are tiles cheaper or better when bought overseas? The answer is it depends. At the prices quoted above by Spyder 5000 naira per sqm is $31.25 per sqm @160 to 1; 3500 naira is $21.87; 1500 naira is 9.37 dollars; even 900 naira is. $5.63. These costs are not relatively cheap. I know that in the U.S. you can find a good auction where you can buy high quality tiles at less than $1.00 per square ft. You can buy high quality granite tiles for less than $2.00 per square ft.

I am aware that bad tillers do mess up even quality tiles but ugly tile work could be either bad tiles or bad tillers or a combination of both. A few years ago when I built my personal house, it was tiled but tiles were removed after I saw how horrible they looked. I had to replace them with Terrazzo.

Nigerians seem to like these flowery usually ugly by the way set of tiles especially in the bathrooms. Due to lack of maintenance these tiles seem to look terrible after many years of neglect. Also, Nigerians use smooth surface tiles on the floors thereby creating hazards within the homes.

In the U.S., Terrazo is more expensive and more regarded than tiles. However, Nigerians seem to have abandoned this form of flooring in favor of tiles for some reasons. There is an auction coming up soon and I hope to buy as much building materials as I can. I intend to buy doors, tiles, sinks, commode etc. I have already bought 385 gallons of high quality paints for less than $700 or 112,000 naira. I used $2000 to ship and clear it with other items in Nigeria. Some of the paints are regularly $40 to $200 per gallon but I bought them from an auction of hardware store going out of business. These types of deals abound in the U.S.

Omonuan,
thanks for the insight. Please where in the US can one get auctions like you mentioned where I can buy cheap but quality building materials in the US. Your response will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by egin(m): 6:55am On Jan 28, 2013
omonuan:

per sqm is not the same as per sq ft
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 28, 2013
egin:
per sqm is not the same as per sq ft

I understand that a square ft is about .092 square meters but it still does not account for the price difference in Nigeria. In most cases, you can get good tiles in an Auction for about 50 cents or less a sqf which is about $5 per square meters. As for where the auctions can be found, it depends on where you are in the U.S. I think every major city has buy and build auctions every now and then. Better yet, you can get good deals on Craigslist.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by kopell: 11:19am On Jan 28, 2013
@omonuan pls take your cash to Naija and get any thing
You want, just make sure you get high quality. I have done this for many years before I realize am waste to much money. The business closing auction is not something you see every day, if you find one look at the cost you haul the good from one location to another plus your shippment cost, plus the time spend searching
For this deals. I don't no what city you reside, if you add
All this cost together you will find out is not that much saving. This idea it good for most of us that reside here not for shipping to Naija !! Again from experience I but an
Industry machine from one of those auction
For $7000 the machine cost about $12000, just to dismantle the machine will cost me $2000 to haul it to port 2000, this did not include the shipping cost, clearing
In Naija. You tell me how much do I save!!
I could buy the same machine in good working codition Naija for $13,500.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by OilSubsidy: 2:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^^^^^ Also to think that the Nigeria Customs may just decide (on their bad bay) to seize that container load of tiles after all that effort! Or your agent may just decide to waste your time/money and allow the thing to build up unnecessary demaurage. Too many ifs I beg! Me go source everything for naija. If I can source cement, blocks, nails, woods, sand, granite and many more in Naija what then is 'Tiles' that i won't source? shocked

@omonuan, I share the same love for Terrazzo floors. Don't know why our people decided to move away from those. I feel it is better than all these tiles thing as it is very durable.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by princeonx: 4:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^^
Use it if you like it! Don't worry about people and their follow follow attitude. I hate when i instruct my brother or suppervisor about what i want and they reply "people no dey use am again! or na so everybody dey do am now" am not people or everybody and i do what i like and can afford. Terrazzo is definitely what I will use for my house in the villa.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by OilSubsidy: 5:38pm On Jan 28, 2013
@prince_onx, You are so correct. I hear that phrase a lot from my folks back home. Sometimes you really wish you can divide yourself into 'twice' (make I borrow alias 4.30 phrase grin) one here and one in Nigeria. Our people taste in nigeria no be am at all. they too like flashy and flowery things. I specifically instructed them not to use any flowery tiles for me but because i forgot to specify this again when it came to tiling the bathrooms, they used flower tiles and now it is too late to change it because i can't afford to spend money removing and replacing it. If one can afford to travel home to nigeria very often or at least when any major work is to be done, then you can avoid this type of situation.

That reminds me, i have a friend who travelled home to specifically pick out the tiles he would like to use for his house only for the tiler to turn round and use the 'Naija type of taste' tiles when my friend had gone back to his base cheesy I don't need to tell you the shock on his face when he brought his family home for Xmas to see their new country home for the first time. His wife was so disgusted with those flower tiles and the shabby work done sad . When he asked the tiler why he changed from the one he showed him to use, the guy said 'Na the one wey dey reign' be dis grin

The problem with Terrazo is that you can hardly find experts these days as everyone of them have now moved to laying tiles

2 Likes

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
Terrazo is really high class stuff in the U.S. This is the reason why most airports, hospitals, Court houses and Universities use them. They are well maintained through regular buffing and waxing and they last for ever. They look almost like mirror when you see them. Due to the usual lack of maintenance in Nigeria, many are left without the usual shine. But good terrazo beats tile any day.

I once took a friend who was visiting me to a University and he was amazed at the quality and shine of the terrazo on the floor. Now as for buying tiles and shipping to Nigeria, it may not be for everyone. However, as oilsubsidy indicated, if you delegate others to pick your tiles, you'll get "the one wey de reign" which is usually the ugly flowery designs. Nevertheless, if you pick your own quality and design in the U.S., you many not only save money but you avoid the attrocious designs prevalent in Nigeria.

Because I do ship things to Nigeria once in a while, it does not cost me much to ship some building materials home and that helps me to keep down costs. But I do understand that it may be a hassle for some. It is a question of weighing your options and deciding what is best for your situation.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Delta007(m): 8:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
One of the better threads on NL.

Spyder, your leg dey reach Warri? If you can reach Ebonyi, then Warri is not far. Please let me know your thoughts!
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 11:25pm On Jan 28, 2013
Delta007: One of the better threads on NL.

Spyder, your leg dey reach Warri? If you can reach Ebonyi, then Warri is not far. Please let me know your thoughts!

My brother Warri far ogrin
The condition of Enugu-Onitsha express way will make it difficult for me to shuttle between Enugu-Anambra-Delta-Ebonyi and produce good results. I would really want to do more in the near future.

We have so much new projects planned to start this year around Enugu state. We are very committed to step up our game towards satisfying you my friends. We plan to grow bigger and get better, we plan to explore all the options and give you guys the varieties that will make your house a colorful experience.

Although I caught your attention with serious cost cutting techniques during my first online outing to build my own house, I have come to realize that not all clients like my 'cheap' way of doing things. I am always communicating with many potential clients and from the feedback I get, people will love to see me depart from building 'cheap' to moving my priority to building 'comfort'cheesy . I had a visitor in my house today, in the duplex you all know here online. The prospective client loved the house but hated the finish. He instructed me to finish his own with better roofing, doors, windows and tiles. Well, I just wanted to complete some good space for my kids, nothing too luxurious.

We are still ready to serve, we are still anxious to take on more jobs if its in our reach and the price is right. We cannot agree to start a job this 2013 if the job will make us 'manage' resources to the extent of looking 'cheap'.

PERFECTION IS OUR GOAL, EXCELLENCE WILL BE TOLORATED.grin
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by NL1960: 9:28am On Jan 29, 2013
spyder880: Frontal crack tiles, e dey grin
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by NL1960: 9:29am On Jan 29, 2013
spyder880: The frontal tiles, for exterior use mainly....

Spyder880, do you have an idea of the price range for these frontal tiles.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 9:47am On Jan 29, 2013
NL1960:

Spyder880, do you have an idea of the price range for these frontal tiles.

We now buy them for about N3000 per sq mtr, last year before many importers started bringing them in, we were buying from Aikez for N3,500.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by NL1960: 9:54am On Jan 29, 2013
spyder880:

My brother Warri far ogrin
The condition of Enugu-Onitsha express way will make it difficult for me to shuttle between Enugu-Anambra-Delta-Ebonyi and produce good results. I would really want to do more in the near future.

We have so much new projects planned to start this year around Enugu state. We are very committed to step up our game towards satisfying you my friends. We plan to grow bigger and get better, we plan to explore all the options and give you guys the varieties that will make your house a colorful experience.

Although I caught your attention with serious cost cutting techniques during my first online outing to build my own house, I have come to realize that not all clients like my 'cheap' way of doing things. I am always communicating with many potential clients and from the feedback I get, people will love to see me depart from building 'cheap' to moving my priority to building 'comfort'cheesy . I had a visitor in my house today, in the duplex you all know here online. The prospective client loved the house but hated the finish. He instructed me to finish his own with better roofing, doors, windows and tiles. Well, I just wanted to complete some good space for my kids, nothing too luxurious.

We are still ready to serve, we are still anxious to take on more jobs if its in our reach and the price is right. We cannot agree to start a job this 2013 if the job will make us 'manage' resources to the extent of looking 'cheap'.

PERFECTION IS OUR GOAL, EXCELLENCE WILL BE TOLORATED.grin

This is not a problem. I do not think you should completely abandoned your ways. If somebody says he/she is big, give such a person a big service. If somebody says that he/she is not big and what the person has is within what you can accommodate, then you also go ahead. My Doctor (he is about 15 years older than me) who is a politician took me to where he bought his tiles. I had to run away when i saw the prices. I told him that levels pass levels. I saw wall tiles (Spanish) that were going for as much 5k per/M. People come into this tiles company to buy as much as N3million worth of tiles for a duplex. Soup that is sweet, it is money. If a client says that he wants you to go to Dubai and buy all his finishing, you go or you buy and courier them to Nigeria.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 10:38am On Jan 29, 2013
NL1960:

This is not a problem. I do not think you should completely abandoned your ways. If somebody says he/she is big, give such a person a big service. If somebody says that he/she is not big and what the person has is within what you can accommodate, then you also go ahead. My Doctor (he is about 15 years older than me) who is a politician took me to where he bought his tiles. I had to run away when i saw the prices. I told him that levels pass levels. I saw wall tiles (Spanish) that were going for as much 5k per/M. People come into this tiles company to buy as much as N3million worth of tiles for a duplex. Soup that is sweet, it is money. If a client says that he wants you to go to Dubai and buy all his finishing, you go or you buy and courier them to Nigeria.

I agree with you, I can even go to Dubai or USA to do the shopping for any of my clients.grin
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by payoski: 11:16am On Jan 29, 2013
spyder880: The site, with the blocks in front.
spyder, good job and well done, pls how many blocks will complete this yr 5 bed duplex?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 3:34pm On Jan 29, 2013
payoski: spyder, good job and well done, pls how many blocks will complete this yr 5 bed duplex?

You mean from foundation till the whole house is built?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Fhemmmy: 3:53pm On Jan 29, 2013
spyder880:

You mean from foundation till the whole house is built?

Beautiful question . . .
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 4:23pm On Jan 29, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Beautiful question . . .

Welcome Sir, this house will take like 5900-6200 blocks to complete.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Fhemmmy: 4:24pm On Jan 29, 2013
spyder880:

Welcome Sir, this house will take like 5900-6200 blocks to complete.
One thing i love so much, is your knowledge of what you do . . . How much is each block?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 4:30pm On Jan 29, 2013
Fhemmmy:
One thing i love so much, is your knowledge of what you do . . . How much is each block?

A single 9" hollow block is sold for N140 - N150. Depending on the location.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (55) (Reply)

Calculating The Numbers Of Blocks You Need For Your Fence / Parapet, Concrete Fascia, and other roofing styles. / Best Of Price On Tiles,water Closet,pipes And Fitting Free Home Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.