Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint (1537 Views)

This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Basketball Team: D'Tigers Had Six-Weeks To Prepare – Oyedeji / Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Rossikk(m): 3:46am On Aug 03, 2012
Why run up the score? This was just bad sportsmanship on their part. The Olympics is not about coming to show off or trying to humiliate your opponent. The US should have shown more class and maturity. Running up an 83 point difference shows a lack of class on their part. The likes of Charles Barkley, Earvin Magic, Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan would have chilled out once it got to a 30 or 40 point difference. Those guys had class.
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 4:10am On Aug 03, 2012

1 Like

Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Rossikk(m): 4:19am On Aug 03, 2012
Yeah...whatever.. Still doesn't make it right. And that wasn't the Olympics.
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 4:29am On Aug 03, 2012

1 Like

Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by EzeUche(m): 5:16am On Aug 03, 2012
It was pathetic to see Nigeria lose that badly.

And what is worse about it is that we have talented NBA players of Nigerian descent who did not play for Nigeria!

Where were my Eastern brothers Emeka Okafor, Ekpe Udoh, Ime Udoka, Kelenna Azubuike and Andre Iguodala?
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by PhysicsQED(m): 5:18am On Aug 03, 2012
Beating a team by a huge number of points and not just quitting when you're far ahead of the other team is pretty much standard in the NBA when a blowout does happen. It's just that usually, complete blowouts don't happen.

If there's a clear winner and no chance for the other team to come back, the winning team and the losing team don't stop playing seriously until about 1 minute or 30 seconds before the 4th quarter buzzer goes off. I think part of the motivation for it is to increase/improve their individual player and team statistics with easy scoring.
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by PhysicsQED(m): 6:00am On Aug 03, 2012
EzeUche: It was pathetic to see Nigeria lose that badly.

And what is worse about it is that we have talented NBA players of Nigerian descent who did not play for Nigeria!

Where were my Eastern brothers Emeka Okafor, Ekpe Udoh, Ime Udoka, Kelenna Azubuike and Andre Iguodala?

lol, those guys would play for the US. In fact, Iguodala played for the US team against Nigeria. And Iguodala is from Illinois, but his father is from Edo state.
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Rossikk(m): 6:09am On Aug 03, 2012
Ime Udoka played for Nigeria at 2006 FIBA and is officially a member of team Nigeria basketball. No idea why he wasn't in the picture this time around.
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Rossikk(m): 5:01pm On Aug 03, 2012
PhysicsQED: Beating a team by a huge number of points and not just quitting when you're far ahead of the other team is pretty much standard in the NBA when a blowout does happen. It's just that usually, complete blowouts don't happen.

If there's a clear winner and no chance for the other team to come back, the winning team and the losing team don't stop playing seriously until about 1 minute or 30 seconds before the 4th quarter buzzer goes off. I think part of the motivation for it is to increase/improve their individual player and team statistics with easy scoring.

Come on man, that's the NBA where teams are far more professional and evenly matched.

The Olympic spirit is... kinda different. Olympic sportsmen are representing their country as opposed to big money clubs etc, and ought not to be unduly embarrassed by national teams that are radically superior to theirs. If I were the US coach I'd have asked my boys to ease up once we hit a 40 point difference, and not go for 3s and stuff. But hey I guess it's their right to go for overkill, so.. no probs. cool
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by toluxe0075: 6:56pm On Aug 03, 2012
U knw wat a new olympic record has been set..let me ask a question, shey na usa tell naija sey make dem no sabi play ni?if usa had stopped 2 wallop dem at 30 points diff,some wil start saying dat usa are not gud enof even some wil start praising d tigers, buh usa don put dem 4 their position so dat they wil knw dat na pikin dem b make dem go step up their game....i believe nigeria has learn alot 4rm d big loss n I guess some guys here are sour losers
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Rossikk(m): 9:13pm On Aug 03, 2012
It's not a case of being sour. If I was American I'd be just as ashamed. In fact many Yanks are not happy with their team's conduct in that game, which they've described as unsportsmanlike:

http://www.oregonlive.com/olympics/index.ssf/2012/08/canzano_the_dream_team_doesnt.html

Check out the comments following this report:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/usa-basketball-carmelo-anthony-nigeria-records_n_1735410.html
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by kid7soccer(m): 1:13am On Aug 04, 2012
EzeUche: It was pathetic to see Nigeria lose that badly.

is like ur not living in nigeria. Com to calabar uj esene stadium let me show u classy, talented and very very tall b ball players wasting. Am 6ft 195 i play soccer, am now 21yrs (real age), a winger wit great speed, i score goals, people say i got talent, but am still in my house wasting while my senior 4 ten yrs is in d nigeria eaglet, dat means my football age is 5yrs and i gat to wait my turn so old boys play which will not happen, cause next yr am off to canada wer i will be held high for my talent, wil i play 4 nigeria, d ans is no, wat will dey give me, noting but headache an pain. My stori is d same as those nigerian b baller who refuse to join a nation team, cause nigeria has nothing to offer, no sport development, no surport, nothing. So who go com, USA all d way
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Litmus: 2:12am On Aug 04, 2012
Rossikk: Why run up the score? This was just bad sportsmanship on their part. The Olympics is not about coming to show off or trying to humiliate your opponent. The US should have shown more class and maturity. Running up an 83 point difference shows a lack of class on their part. The likes of Charles Barkley, Earvin Magic, Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan would have chilled out once it got to a 30 or 40 point difference. Those guys had class.

It's good that the US went all out. It would have been condescending and more humiliating if they had taken it easy on us. Nigeria took a spanking we should mark it and plan for next time. As for the game itself, one wonders if the scoreline was partly due to Nigerian players being starstruck. If i was one of the Nigerian dudes, i'd be playing my socks-off because I'd want to be noticed by the NBA as well as for the glory of my nation. As a personified Nigerian bred i'd never be starstruck!
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 04, 2012
Rossikk: Why run up the score? This was just bad sportsmanship on their part. The Olympics is not about coming to show off or trying to humiliate your opponent. The US should have shown more class and maturity. Running up an 83 point difference shows a lack of class on their part. The likes of Charles Barkley, Earvin Magic, Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan would have chilled out once it got to a 30 or 40 point difference. Those guys had class.

....lol it's like this game ROCKED the nation....Literally every forum or instant message program i am on has Nigerians Crying

Yall Niqqahs staggering as a Country... [size=15pt]Man UP! Punk az Biitches! Lmfao
[/size]
I can't believe all the Whining....

They didn't even run the score up....they ran off the whole shot clock during possessions in the 4rth

They played their Bench Players in the second half.....

Stop Crying and

[size=16pt]Get Over it ....LmL[/size]

1 Like

Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by StarrMatthieu: 2:00pm On Aug 04, 2012
Well
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by toluxe0075: 7:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
Rossikk: It's not a case of being sour. If I was American I'd be just as ashamed. In fact many Yanks are not happy with their team's conduct in that game, which they've described as unsportsmanlike:

http://www.oregonlive.com/olympics/index.ssf/2012/08/canzano_the_dream_team_doesnt.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/usa-basketball-carmelo-anthony-nigeria-records_n_1735410.html
hope u watch usa vs lithuania 2day did u see wat the call basketball? Usa nearly lost dat match
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 04, 2012
Rossikk: It's not a case of being sour. If I was American I'd be just as ashamed. In fact many Yanks are not happy with their team's conduct in that game, which they've described as unsportsmanlike:

1 Like

Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by linearity: 10:30pm On Aug 04, 2012
Rossikk:

Come on man, that's the NBA where teams are far more professional and evenly matched.

The Olympic spirit is... kinda different. Olympic sportsmen are representing their country as opposed to big money clubs etc, and ought not to be unduly embarrassed by national teams that are radically superior to theirs. If I were the US coach I'd have asked my boys to ease up once we hit a 40 point difference, and not go for 3s and stuff. But hey I guess it's their right to go for overkill, so.. no probs. cool

Easing off is more easy to do in soccer than in basketball, where each have a maximum if 24 seconds to possess the ball.

What you r essentially saying is that the US team should turnover the ball to the Nigeria team at the end of each 24 second possession and now run back to their net to defend the ball with a possibility on incurring a foul - or does your 'ease off' tirade extend to forbid the Nigerian team from making points or been aggressive?
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by linearity: 10:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
toluxe0075: U knw wat a new olympic record has been set..let me ask a question, shey na usa tell naija sey make dem no sabi play ni?if usa had stopped 2 wallop dem at 30 points diff,some wil start saying dat usa are not gud enof even some wil start praising d tigers, buh usa don put dem 4 their position so dat they wil knw dat na pikin dem b make dem go step up their game....i believe nigeria has learn alot 4rm d big loss n I guess some guys here are sour losers

Or that US team are too proud and condescending to the Nigeria team...and that they are playing God by trying to determine the final destine and scorelines...
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by toluxe0075: 11:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
linearity:

Or that US team are too proud and condescending to the Nigeria team...and that they are playing God by trying to determine the final destine and scorelines...
hope u are in front of ur tv watching nigeria vr argentina
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by toluxe0075: 11:30pm On Aug 04, 2012
linearity:

hope u are in front of ur tv watching nigeria vs argentina
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by linearity: 1:37am On Aug 05, 2012
toluxe0075:
hope u are in front of ur tv watching nigeria vs argentina

Yes, I watched it.....The Argentina team showed some class, restrain & mercy and decided to beat us by only 14 points! smiley
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 1:40am On Aug 05, 2012
Oh please........Now it's the Entire worlds duty to "Take it easy" on Nigeria now?....

Get Real

These are Professional Athletes who get paid to do this for a Living....these are not school children, this is not high school or college Lol

If i was Coach K i would have left Lebron,Melo,Kobe,Durant in the Game and Scored 200 fhhucking points on those damn Bums.

1 Like

Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Murphy7h4: 2:42am On Aug 05, 2012
Much appreciated
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 3:23am On Aug 05, 2012
~Royal~:
Oh please.......If i was Coach K i would have left Lebron,Melo,Kobe,Durant in the Game and Scored 200 fhhucking points on those damn Bums.

grin grin
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by Nobody: 3:25am On Aug 05, 2012
~Royal~:

....lol it's like this game ROCKED the nation....Literally every forum or instant message program i am on has Nigerians Crying

Yall Niqqahs staggering as a Country... [size=15pt]Man UP! Punk az Biitches! Lmfao
[/size]
I can't believe all the Whining....

They didn't even run the score up....they ran off the whole shot clock during possessions in the 4rth

They played their Bench Players in the second half.....

Stop Crying and

[size=16pt]Get Over it ....LmL[/size]

Loooooooooool!
Re: Us Basketball Team Should Have Shown More Class And Restraint by toluxe0075: 9:27am On Aug 05, 2012
linearity:

Yes, I watched it.....The Argentina team showed some class, restrain & mercy and decided to beat us by only 14 points! smiley
did you watch usa vs lithuania, didn't uc hw lithuania played at their best even wit lebron,melo in d match lithuania fought to the end,y can't nigeria also do the same,usa decided to show them hw to play u are here talking of restrain, ok in the last olympics y did nigeria not show new zealand mercy in the men's football event when they beat new zealand 5-1 even when they are 3 goals up they keep on charging for more goals, the same happened to nigeria in dis year's olympics, when usa knew they can get more point they decided to go 4 it who knws if they wil neva have d chance to thrash any other team like dat, the only problem u are having wit dis is dat nigeria was the unfortunate team,i'm sure if it was to b anoda country u 4 don dey yab dem....4get about restrain n mercy if a team can be at their best to beat any team at the rate their ability can take dem let dem do it so dat d other team can learn,..

(1) (Reply)

Kenya Wants To Host 2024 Olympics. Nigeria Nko? / Is This Goalkeeper The Best In AFCON 2013??? / Vincent Enyeama Sets Record After Keeping Another Clean Sheet !!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.