Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,327 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? (828 Views)

Nigeria At 55 : The Most Stylish First Ladies Naija Ever Had / Toyin Saraki Represents Aisha Buhari At African First Ladies Meeting (Photos) / 5 African First Ladies Who Cheated On Their Husbands (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? by TrueNaijaguy: 7:43am On Aug 03, 2012
FORMER Federal Capital Territory Minister, Dr. Aliyu Moddibo Umar, has cleared the air over the genesis of the controversy surrounding the plot of land allocated by the FCT Administration for building the continental secretariat of African First Ladies Peace Mission (AFLPM), saying he indeed allocated the plot to AFLPM in 2008.

The clarification came as the National Human Rights Commission yesterday began investigations into claims of alleged forced evictions received from Makoko waterfront communities in Lagos, charging federal and state governments not to breach the peoples’ rights in their quest for urban development.

According to Moddibo, who served as Minister of FCT between 2007 and 2008, it was his successor, Alhaji Adamu Aliero, who changed the concept of the land and re-allocated it to Women and Youth Empowerment Foundation (WAYEF) belonging to former First Lady, Hajiya Turai Yar’ Adua, two years later.

The former minister spoke in an interview with the Hausa Service of the Voice of America yesterday. The report was monitored in Abuja, according to a statement made available to The Guardian by the FCT Minister’s Special Assistant (SA) on Media and Public Affairs, Nosike Ogbuenyi.

According to Moddibo, there was no controversy about it as the land in question was allocated to ALPM and a Certificate of Occupancy (C of 0) prepared for the Mission.

Moddibo said in the interview: “When I became Minister, I brought the idea for the building of the secretariat as a legacy the former First Lady would leave behind. I consulted the former President (late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua) and advised him on the project, and after the wife became the leader of the African First Ladies Mission. I told him that the NGO needed a secretariat to build an edifice just like the Women Centre built by late Maryam Babangida and the National Hospital built by Maryam Abacha.

“He (Yar’Adua) agreed and told me to look for a land. When I eventually found the land, I prepared a Certificate of Occupancy and the Structural Design of the proposed secretariat before I reported back to him. He appreciated the effort and directed me to meet her with the proposal. After a discussion, she accepted the idea and set up a committee which comprised the FCTA and Foreign Affairs officials as well as Maryam Abacha, late Murtala Muhammed’s wife (Ajoke) and Patience.”

The former FCT Minister said that the late President Yar’Adua warned him not to allocate any land to either his wife or children. He clarified that he allocated the land to an NGO (AFLPM) and not an individual.

Efforts to get the response of Moddibo’s successor, Aliero, to explain why he allegedly re-allocated the same land to Turai for her private NGO, WAYEF, were not successful as his two numbers were not reachable.
Re: Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? by TrueNaijaguy: 8:12am On Aug 03, 2012
Dame Patience wins round one?
Re: Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? by Olanlere11: 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
The truth is gradually unfolding. Turai wants to deceive Nigerians again o! This woman too sharp, always wants to play a fast one on people
Re: Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? by TrueNaijaguy: 4:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
Olanlere11: The truth is gradually unfolding. Turai wants to deceive Nigerians again o! This woman too sharp, always wants to play a fast one on people

Lol
Re: Battle of the First Ladies-Dame Patience wins round one? by Mandelaguy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2012
Some people will swallow their words,maybe they will learn not to rush into talks.

(1) (Reply)

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? / Beauty And The Beast: "How 9geria Can Tap Into The Power Of Contrast" / Bakkassi Seadogs Take Protest To Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.