Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,268 members, 7,807,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. (18135 Views)

Hillary Clinton Given £80 Parking Fine In London / FULL Video Samuel Doe Assassination African Leaders This Is A Reminder... / Will Usa Go To War With China To End Its Economic Decline? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Sunofgod(m): 7:36pm On Aug 03, 2012
Chinese state media has lashed out at US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton after she warned African leaders about co-operation with countries who want to exploit the continent’s resources.

On a tour of sub-Saharan Africa to promote political stability, Ms Clinton said this week that the US will stand up for democracy and universal human rights “even when it might be easier or more profitable to look the other way, to keep the resources flowing”.

“Not every partner makes that choice, but we do and we will,” she said, without naming China, in a speech delivered in Senegal.

The “implication that China has been extracting Africa’s wealth for itself is utterly wide of the truth,” said an English-language commentary from Xinhua on Friday, of Ms Clinton’s comment that the US is committed to a model that “adds value rather than extracts it”.

Ms Clinton’s words offer “cheap shots” and are part of “a plot to sow discord between China [and] Africa” for the US’s “selfish gain”, Xinhua said, adding her trip was part of a hidden agenda “aimed at least partly at discrediting China’s engagement with the continent and curbing China’s influence there”.

Ms Clinton’s 11-day trip to Africa comes as China continues to gain influence in markets across the continent, home to vast resource wealth and some of the world’s fastest-growing countries.

While US President Barack Obama unveiled a new Africa strategy in June, focusing on democracy, economic growth, security and development, last month China promised Africa $20bn in loans in the next three years. China, which put Africa-China trade at $166bn last year, overtook the US as Africa’s largest partner three years ago.

“There is a general sense that China appears to be eclipsing America in Africa,” said Comfort Ero, Africa programme director at International Crisis Group. “This is her [Clinton] second big pitch to try to sell the differences between the US and China in a positive way, suggesting the US has Africa’s interests at heart and is genuinely concerned with progress around democracy, and that China is only interested in grabbing resources,” said Ms Ero, referring to a visit by Ms Clinton to Africa last year.

Ms Clinton, whose trip takes in Senegal, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Malawi, South Africa and Ghana, was accompanied by a large US business delegation, and stressed Africa’s economic potential. “We believe that if you want to make a good investment in the midst of what is still a very difficult global economy, go to Africa,” she said during the same speech.

She voiced fears the continent was “backsliding” on democracy.

At the same time her close relationship with Yoweri Museveni, the Ugandan President, whose army makes up the bulk of a heavily US-funded African Union force that fights Islamist militants in Somalia but who has refused to step down, has attracted criticism.

The US focus on governance is “inconsistent and shifts with its interests”, said Daniel Kalinaki, managing editor of Uganda’s Daily Monitor newspaper. After 2010 bombings in Uganda carried out by al-Qaeda-linked, Somalia-based militants, “all the talk of democracy was suddenly replaced by talk about regional security and Somalia”. Ms Clinton met with Mr Museveni and South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir on Friday, stressing the need for strong institutions and to follow the constitution. She is due to meet Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki on Saturday before travelling on to Malawi and then South Africa

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/78f5e794-dd7c-11e1-8be2-00144feab49a.html#axzz22Vd9Yb1Q
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by PhysicsQED(m): 7:51pm On Aug 03, 2012
Well, they're actually right (Chinese state media, that is). The Chinese relationship with Africa, although far from perfect, is definitely less exploitative than the West's.
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by dasparrow: 8:15pm On Aug 03, 2012
@Post

I thought there was some thread that said Hillary was also coming to Nigeria but I guess not (though I am glad she is not coming to Nigeria. To come and do what?).

Anyways, African leaders should not take what Hillary Clinton is advising seriously. Are this not the same people who shamelessly make fun of Africans in the western world and in the western media and consider us dirt poor? So why do they (the westerners) care about whom we partner with? Why are they shivering all over the darn place because we partnered with China?

Just hear who is talking! the same greedy western imperialists who have continously bled Africa dry through their unfair IMF and world bank monetary lending practices. The same set of people who have sucked us dry through colonialism and supported only African leaders in power that will be their string puppets and dance to the tune of their whistles while impoverishing the citizens of the African countries they lead. Now all of a sudden, america wants to act like they care about us? who do they think they are fooling?

Africans open your eyes! The westerners (europeans and their descendants and the americans) should never be trusted. Our ancestors made the mistake to trust them back then. This is why we were forcibly colonized by them. We should not make the same mistake our great grand parents and grand parents made. We should be wise as a serpent.

22 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by lacasa: 12:25am On Aug 04, 2012
Up China

Whoo Hoo cool

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Murphy7h4: 1:22am On Aug 04, 2012
Thanks a lot
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Tolaaaaannni(f): 1:28am On Aug 04, 2012
Wtf is she talking about? what has the U.S done for africa, other than stealing their material. She needs to go sit down for corner. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Rhino5dm: 1:43am On Aug 04, 2012
"Hilarious" Clinton is a fool. Atleast the Chinese haven't sent Exxon Mobil, shell or chevron to pollute our environment and reduced us to slaves in our land.

6 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 04, 2012
Neither is good.

4 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 04, 2012
Who's she?

Tell her to fvck off to America.. undecided undecided
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Pataki: 4:26am On Aug 04, 2012
I remember earlier this year, a Prof. Adepoju Aderanti came from Unilag to deliver a guest lecture in Europe on the battle between the US and China for African resources.

While America seems to want to protect his own economic interest in Africa, their years of raping this continent still leaves us sore. Equally we as Africans need to be wary of the Chinese.

Does anyone here know that the new AU complex building design contract was awarded to a Chinese firm? Africa and Africans surely still have a long way to go.

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by obowunmi(m): 6:18am On Aug 04, 2012
Chinese are toxic so are the westerners. Africans are bleeped.

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by OneNaira6: 7:09am On Aug 04, 2012
Sun of god: Chinese state media has lashed out at US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton after she warned African leaders about co-operation with countries who want to exploit the continent’s resources.

She should include her nation among the "countries who want to exploit the continent's resources".

China is bad but America is worse.

That is like a kettle pointing to a pot and calling it "black"
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 04, 2012
AwWw,now they care! Politics! angry
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 04, 2012
Good riddance!,its not like we were ever utilizing our resources undecided
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by 175(m): 8:47am On Aug 04, 2012
Bleep d US and d West. If not for China, i no for fit dey use d current dell inspiron lappy wey dey help my biz. 10yrs ago how many people fit buy electronics (laptop to b precise)? Ehn ehn 40-man laptop gang wich type dem supply una?

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Sunofgod(m): 8:53am On Aug 04, 2012
Battle Ground - Africa.

A new cold war is being fought for Africa's resources - Hillary's statement makes it official.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Euroclydon(m): 9:06am On Aug 04, 2012
Hahaha... US is scared of China,cos they believe China is an emerging economic power...Selfish US. Let her chillax!
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 04, 2012
Let me make this very clear to Americans, I love you guys, the fast cars, the American specs and all the dollars. But when it comes to Business, my doors are open only to Chinese. I dont trust Americans and their covet operations. I hate people playing boss in my own continent. The chinese are down to earth, so suck it up Madam Clinton, your media calls us diseased, poverty stricken people, always living below your dollars, so what they fvck do you need in my continent and why the heck are you advising me on who to do business with? I guess I got no business acumen to know that Chinese are better humanoid species than people whose interest is to kill a man to ra.pe his wife ?

5 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 04, 2012
175: Bleep d US and d West. If not for China, i no for fit dey use d current dell inspiron lappy wey dey help my biz. 10yrs ago how many people fit buy electronics (laptop to b precise)? Ehn ehn 40-man laptop gang wich type dem supply una?
Hahahahaha, May God bless China, if not for China, the world would have been kneeling down to beg America for Tea.

3 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 04, 2012
Pataki: I remember earlier this year, a Prof. Adepoju Aderanti came from Unilag to deliver a guest lecture in Europe on the battle between the US and China for African resources.

While America seems to want to protect his own economic interest in Africa, their years of raping this continent still leaves us sore. Equally we as Africans need to be wary of the Chinese.

Does anyone here know that the new AU complex building design contract was awarded to a Chinese firm? Africa and Africans surely still have a long way to go.
About the bolded, China built and delivered that AU COmplex, free-of-Charge to AU, Africa didnt spend one Naira apart from giving them the land to build that Complex.
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Rhino5dm: 9:25am On Aug 04, 2012
The only time I ever disagree with you is when you are sucking GEJ's balls. But, then that's your choice. Keep it up.

As a multi millionaire myself, one day I aspire to be a billionaire cool

Billyonaire: Let me make this very clear to Americans, I love you guys, the fast cars, the American specs and all the dollars. But when it comes to Business, my doors are open only to Chinese. I dont trust Americans and their covet operations. I hate people playing boss in my own continent. The chinese are down to earth, so suck it up Madam Clinton, your media calls us diseased, poverty stricken people, always living below your dollars, so what they fvck do you need in my continent and why the heck are you advising me on who to do business with? I guess I got no business acumen to know that Chinese are better humanoid species than people whose interest is to kill a man to ra.pe his wife ?

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by gramci: 9:33am On Aug 04, 2012
Africa's progress does depends on itself and not on any superficial relationship with either America or China.

5 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by 175(m): 9:59am On Aug 04, 2012
Billyonaire: Hahahahaha, May God bless China, if not for China, the world would have been kneeling down to beg America for Tea.

U ar coret. Dnt mind d West. Abeg make i use my Chinko TV fone watch AIT small. Brb.

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Ufeolorun(m): 10:07am On Aug 04, 2012
Its our call to make,everyone is welcome to do business with/in Africa.
Its left for Africa to use this opportunity as a leverage to compete or else we may end with a worse partner in the Chinese.
We have no friends just aggressive business partners .Its all about interest.

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by ebamma(m): 10:17am On Aug 04, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
"Hilarious" Clinton is a fool. Atleast the Chinese haven't sent Exxon Mobil, shell or chevron to pollute our environment and reduced us to slaves in our land.
shattap if you have nothing good to say
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by ebamma(m): 10:21am On Aug 04, 2012
we africans have become a pawn in the hands of the west and china,imagine china and usa,fighting over our resources,its high time we took our destiny in our hands and take control over our resources

3 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by ebamma(m): 10:26am On Aug 04, 2012
the chinese became so rich by doing business with africa,the chinese influence in africa is becoming too much,if you go to zambia,the chinese control all the mining industry there,its high time africans wake up and take their destiny in their hands,the usa and china are do not love us,the only want to exploit us.

3 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by inereunwa1(m): 11:01am On Aug 04, 2012
175: Bleep d US and d West. If not for China, i no for fit dey use d current dell inspiron lappy wey dey help my biz. 10yrs ago how many people fit buy electronics (laptop to b precise)? Ehn ehn 40-man laptop gang wich type dem supply una?
hello pals please does anyone know the story of the 40-man laptop gang i would like to read it cuz i've been seeing it all over nairaland but i can't get the whole story.
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by ebere1712: 11:11am On Aug 04, 2012
lacasa: Up China

Whoo Hoo cool
Fu*ck china and fu*ck you !!!!!!
Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by ebere1712: 11:15am On Aug 04, 2012
And lets I forget, fu*ck the pinkies too, may they die of a thousand leprosy

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Sunofgod(m): 12:15pm On Aug 04, 2012
My advice - 'Black Africans' need to be wary of all other nations!

The chinese, caucasians, arabs, indians, mulato's, etc are only out to further exploit our labour and resources.

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. by Okontami: 1:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
Guys, all I hear is bla bla bla bla. F*uck weed, cocaine is a hell of drugs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inside South Africa's Operation Dudula Vigilantes: 'Why We Hate Foreigners' / Nikki Haley Drops Out Of 2024 US Presidential Election / Poland Sees Rise In Food Theft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.