Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad (16472 Views)

Is There Any Risk Sponsoring The Education Of A Girl You Want To Marry? / If Your Spouse Gains Scholarship To Study Abroad A Month After Wedding..... / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by economia: 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
I have a bosome friend of 40 years of age who is planning to travel abroad for a PhD. He is holding a govt job already but he want to forfit the job for the study. He is having it in mind to us the study as a way to relocate that is why he is not married. He told me he have saved N2m which will help him to pay for fist year and hussle for others when he get there. He knows no one there in amstadam. Do you think he can make it. I am sorry to divert the tread.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by CyberG: 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
economia: I have a bosome friend of 40 years of age who is planning to travel abroad for a PhD. He is holding a govt job already but he want to forfit the job for the study. He is having it in mind to us the study as a way to relocate that is why he is not married. He knows no one there in amstadam. Do you think he can make it. I am sorry to divert the tread.

Better to open a thread for the topic. It is not difficult, just copy and paste what your wrote here there!
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by chuka2003(m): 12:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
all the people ranting on this thread.. if you check them well, them never earn one kobo for their life... grin grin grin

I work hard (didn't steal money) then i should now waste my earnings (note earnings not stolen funds) on a lazy sod!!! If any the chap is deserving and i have the funds; by all means, I will pay to the last cent but not because one mumu relation thinks he can get a free passport to lala land on my bill.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by mallorca(m): 12:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
nitrogen: ^^^ are you fustrated or wat, why vent that on him? For sanity's sake, it is his view and not yours nor perhaps that of most, so?
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by mayorteeny: 12:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
Why is everyone castigating Ajanlekoko abi the matter pass this topic? E be like say beef don dey ground already and the attacks are part of the vendetta.

@Topic it is definitely not an obligation. If one can conveniently afford to do so no qualms but if not no be sin o.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by EreluY(f): 12:55pm On Aug 05, 2012
obowunmi: Don't be wicked my brother. LoooL

You know Nigerians have inferiority complex. Even a dummy that schooled in India is seen as better than a Nigerian graduate. Na conditon make crayfish bend. It is indeed a trend, but "abroad" includes Ghana, India, South Africa, Namibia...lol

Anything but a Nigerian university education. Sad reality.

Boy-o-boy, South African Universities are world class, you know. From Cape Town to Stellenbosch, from Pretoria to Witwatersrand, SA universities are top notch.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by francis247(m): 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
What do you expect in a country still suffering from colonial hangover. A country where personality is mainly judged by outward appearance. Majority do it just to keep up with the Jonses.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by lumideezle(m): 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
oyb:

https://www.nairaland.com/lumideezle
mc lumideezle

https://www.nairaland.com/lumideezle/posts

gotta love the internet
Emmm Im still tryn 2 get your point exactly Tralling my posts all over NL dumbfck tryn 2 b smart !!
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ballabriggs: 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
If you have the money and think he is going to be committed to his studies then why not. I tell you if you've never had to study in a University in Europe and North America, you won't understand how flawed Nigeria's education is in terms of methodology, personnel and infrastructure. In addition, the fact that such people have not done well in Nigeria should not be a deciding factor. It is very difficult to study in these schools and not learn a thing. Even if you don't learn a thing in your field, one thing I am certain of is that UK education seems to give the individual more confidence as he is made to study independently.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by lumideezle(m): 1:16pm On Aug 05, 2012
oyb:

https://www.nairaland.com/lumideezle
mc lumideezle

https://www.nairaland.com/lumideezle/posts

gotta love the internet

Mhen u are super Dumb + the two dumb like minds that liked your posts... I was seeking for a PROFESSIONAL COURSE in procurement dosent mean I do not have a career DEM!!! Neways sure u find it hard to read and understand simple written englishwonder how you passed Jamb
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
lumideezle:

Mhen u are super Dumb + the two dumb like minds that liked your posts... I was seeking for a PROFESSIONAL COURSE in procurement dosent mean I do not have a career DEM!!! Neways sure u find it hard to read and understand simple written englishwonder how you passed Jamb

you are a very good reason for this thread - imagine having to sponsor a lout like you through university - you can't even write coherent english

and you are slow to boot

i posted a link to your post history and quoted one of your posts

since you want to play rough. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/983400/please-need-experienced-career-advice

Ok i am currently in a fix as to where to go career wise, and i would really appreciate professional advice, i hope and pray i am in the right place. Here is a brief description of my academic accomplishment and where i intend going from here

I have a BSc in Microbiology 2:2(as at my third year i discovered i wasnt really cut out to be a science student or a microbiologist because i found myself always struggling I preferred management more so i decided to start taking more of management professional courses
I took

IT Project management by Comptia and i passed with flying colors
I also took NIM ( Nigerian institute of Management) during my service year which i also passed
I went on to do an Executive masters in Project management in UK Passed too
I have also attended Seminars and Courses on Entrepreneurship and Management at the Lagos Business School

Reason for all this story is this:

I currently work as a business Development officer in a company( I like the Job but i am more Inclined to management than marketing)

I want to do An MBA in Unilag starting in sept( Is this a right step?
I am also considering going into personnel Management By doing CIPM (Wont this just communicate to my future employer that i am confused?)
I am also thinking of furthering my Project management programs by doing PMP Project management Professional(Do I really need to do this exam?)
On the other hand i am considering Doing IT courses like MCITP, etc

OK I know i might cut across as confused but before you crucify me, the reason y i am doing all i can to improve myself is to get a better job, work for some years (Max 10 yrs) and start my own company. I love management and i would want to own my own stuff

Ok so that s me in a few words

Kindly advise

Mr Man my Uncle paid my way through a private university in Nigeria and 4 my masters Abroad!! Today he is so proud of me because by the grace of God I am doing very well and I donot have to rely on him for financial assistance . Infact he even assigns the responsibility of footing some bills to me so he dosent get overwhemed! Most importantly I stand like a role model to his own children and they run 2 me for funds they think they can't ask their father eg money to buy gifts for my" friend" on vals day.
Now imagne this man was thinking like you... What do you think would have become of me . Listen africa is a continent where family is a big thing to us. Do not imbibe all the rubbish white peoples mentalities !

you are indeed doing very well. i pity the poor kids who will have an incoherent lout like you as a role model

jack of all trades and master of internet BS. money don enter bush finish.

your uncle first wasted money sending you to do microbilogy, which you found out you 'were not cut out for ' after 3 years

then IT project mgt

you then jumped to NIM

then to project management

then to lag biz school

now you are running around asking what should i do

all that money was clearly wasted.

your uncle should have found some one who didn't have his head in his arse - and the person would have sorted himself/herself out after one degree. the way you're going, i can see more courses in your future - perpetual student - thats what happens when you have no responsibility for fundin your education

small wonder aj dey vex on career board.

ballabriggs: If you have the money and think he is going to be committed to his studies then why not. I tell you if you've never had to study in a University in Europe and North America, you won't understand how flawed Nigeria's education is in terms of methodology, personnel and infrastructure. In addition, the fact that such people have not done well in Nigeria should not be a deciding factor. It is very difficult to study in these schools and not learn a thing. Even if you don't learn a thing in your field, one thing I am certain of is that UK education seems to give the individual more confidence as he is made to study independently.

sorry o , this lumideezle to the weezle has faulted your assertion big time

4 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nitrogen(m): 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
^^^ seriously, a.j dey vex nowadays (big time).
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by economia: 1:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
CyberG:

Better to open a thread for the topic. It is not difficult, just copy and paste what your wrote here there!
i have targeted better response here than new post. There the jambite response is what i am sure to have. Pls if you have a word to advice pls do and save a course.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
sisieko2001:

intellect my a.s.s !

wats the biggie in helping a relative in need of help - going abroad to seek greener pastures/study

or did the poster help him get a 300k per month job at mtn and he refused accepting it

Do you know how much it cost to study abroad? If the guy feels he cannot help, we truly cannot blame him and I hate it when people feel it is the responsibility of an uncle to pay for their education. Although he hyped his feelings about the topic but that is not enough for us to castigate him so much because it would be very difficult for an uncle to pay N4m per year for 2years to sponsor one's education.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
Is it indeed becoming a fad? And sincerely is Nigeria's system of education efficient to help someone in a world being termed a global village?
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 2:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
nitrogen:
Infact, you are......

Seriously, it is a way of helping others that want to get more education but do not have the resources, since you can, just do it cos they want it for the better of their lives. I can call that 'necessary extended f
amily responsibility'

Necessary family responsibility indeed. What a bloody joke. Apparently, the family members think those millions grow on trees, and they sure think it's their right to demand for such aid from well-to-do relatives. Well call me wicked or whatever, I'll spend those millions on my kids only. Let those damn relatives demanding for aid apply for a scholarship.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by wesley80(m): 2:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
oyb:

you are a very good reason for this thread - imagine having to sponsor a lout like you through university - you can't even write coherent english

and you are slow to boot

you are indeed doing very well. i pity the poor kids who will have an incoherent lout like you as a role model

your uncle first wasted money sending you to do microbilogy, which you found out you 'were not cut out for ' after 3 years

then IT project mgt

you then jumped to NIM

then to lag biz school

your uncle should have found some one who didn't have his head in his arse - and the person would have sorted himself/herself out after one degree. the way you're going, i can see more courses in your future - perpetual student - thats what happens when you have no responsibility for fundin your education

sorry o , this lumideezle to the weezle has faulted your assertion big time

Jeez, now that's a Mike Tyson class TKO. Someone just got OWNED!

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
GboyegaD:

Do you know how much it cost to study abroad? If the guy feels he cannot help, we truly cannot blame him and I hate it when people feel it is the responsibility of an uncle to pay for their education. Although he hyped his feelings about the topic but that is not enough for us to castigate him so much because it would be very difficult for an uncle to pay N4m per year for 2years to sponsor one's education.

how much does it cost especially when these rich folks would not mind spending N10m in whorehouses and their aristo chics?
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by hrhobi1(m): 2:22pm On Aug 05, 2012
@OP PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULDN'T BE REFERRED TOO AS FAMILY , BROTHER, COUSIN. BUT DON'T WORRY THAT SAME PERSON U DON'T WANNA HELP NOW WILL PROVE TO YOU SOMEDAY SOON THAT MAN IS NOT GOD.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
sisieko2001:

this has to be be one of the dumbest posts i have read here in a long time.

your level of reasoning is amazingly low. yet, you work as a telecomms engineer at mtn
so because someone failed to secure a good job in Nigeria, the person is doomed for failure in another country

i know from your posts here that you have a disdain for foreign education but as they say, ignorance is bliss.

so you know, there are lots of people that weren't lucky to get jobs in Nigeria after nysc and today are working with investment banks, oil companies and top multinational companies abroad (after their masters).

you fail to realise that Nigeria as a country offers limited opportunities for young graduates.

if you are in the position to help this relative, then go ahead or STFU.

how much is the fees that you are ranting over rubbish!

coogar:

how much does it cost especially when these rich folks would not mind spending N10m in whorehouses and their aristo chics?

And what's wrong with Ajanlekoko's post. Is it a must to dole out millions of naira to aid a relative? Or you think it's easy to cough £15K+? Seriously, get real.
people like you remind me of those village relatives who feel it is their God-given right to demand for things from other family members. So here's a lil suggestion: if you want such aid, apply for a scholarship, or ask nicely. If you don't like that, go jump off a damn cliff. Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 2:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
coogar:

If a rich uncle or family member decides to spend his money in a damn whorehouse or burn it all up, how the hell is it your business? IS IT YOUR MONEY?!
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 2:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
hrhobi1: @OP PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULDN'T BE REFERRED TOO AS FAMILY , BROTHER, COUSIN. BUT DON'T WORRY THAT SAME PERSON U DON'T WANNA HELP NOW WILL PROVE TO YOU SOMEDAY SOON THAT MAN IS NOT GOD.

Here's the thing, if a relative asks nicely knowing fully that those millions didn't come easy at all (and if I can afford it), then maybe one can help. But when you DEMAND for it as your God-given right...sorry oh.

1 Like

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nitrogen(m): 2:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
ocelot2006:

Necessary family responsibility indeed. What a bloody joke. Apparently, the family members think those millions grow on trees, and they sure think it's their right to demand for such aid from well-to-do relatives. Well call me wicked or whatever, I'll spend those millions on my kids only. Let those damn relatives demanding for aid apply for a scholarship.
Bro, i am not in support of such, it is evident in my posts on the thread, sincerely, it will be crazy for me to do such especially when the recipient is the unserious type. But believe me, it is the fucking naija mentality, if you are able, just do it for the sake of perhaps tradition else you will be labelled an ingrate and an inconsiderate being.

Btw, am still to be fulfilled i.e young, in order to do such, but am almost there.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by chreldb(m): 2:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
[quote author=oyb]

and you are slow to boot

then IT project mgt

you then jumped to NIM

then to lag biz school

Dude that was cruel grin OUCH!! shocked LMAO
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nijanigga: 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
The way many Nigerians think is appalling, relatives who need financial help often see it as a prerogative right to get help from the rich relatives.In abroad going to school is like investment,that's why thier govts give loans with strings attached and going to school in North America is no joke you're looking at $20,000/year,in many of these schools you can't work as international student.
It would be better if intending students get atleast some form of finanacial assistanceship outside relatives,then you can ask relatives to top it up and don't expect life abroad to be easy,many have fallen off.So beware.

2 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by nijanigga: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
ocelot2006:

Here's the thing, if a relative asks nicely knowing fully that those millions didn't come easy at all (and if I can afford it), then maybe one can help. But when you DEMAND for it as your God-given right...sorry oh.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head, a begger will be asking as he has rights to relatives money, they need better orientation,but you know there is nothing like customer service in Nigeria.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Xtana: 2:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
If any of your relatives elects to study abroad allow them to do so, what is your problem? You admitted you don't have such a money so why border yourself?. Wait until they come to you for sponsorship then you will tell them that you don't have.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by coogar: 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
ocelot2006:

If a rich uncle or family member decides to spend his money in a damn whorehouse or burn it all up, how the hell is it your business? IS IT YOUR MONEY?!

and that's exactly why people think you are a glorified plonker....a relative who knows you have N20m to spend @ whorehouses every year would think you are wicked if you refuse to sponsor him abroad.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
coogar:

Please tell me you are kidding with this comment. If i have a billion dollars and choose to spend 999 million of it on a LovePeddler, crackhouse, luxury boats etc and decide to give "you" my relative absolutely nothing, I AM WELL WITHIN MY RIGHTS. When will this slave mentality stop. The fact that somebody worked hard to earn a living and has "excesses" does not entitle you to any part of his/her wealth.
@ Topic -
Most people here are just loud mouthed. They give excuses like, i'm still struggling so i'm not in the position to help anyone but "if i'm wealthy, i will definitely help others".. ARRANT NONSENSE.
If i see a relative that is focused and needs help, i MAY help but it is not my responsibility to do so.
If on the other hand, the relative comes to me for help just because i happen to have money and can afford it, then hell no to that. If you are sick/dieing and need help, yeah i will be there but travelling abroad to study is for those who can afford it or get some sort of scholarship. If you have neither, do not expect me to send you abroad just because i'm your relative. My first question will be: What are you bringing to the table? Do you expect me to shell out cash to send you abroad just because "things are not easy in Nigeria" or because you are a smart kid and have potentials that are being suppressed by staying in nigeria?
At the end of the day, Nigerians need to stop expecting other people to carry their own weight. The fact that you have a rich relative entitles you to nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by ocelot2006(m): 3:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
coogar:

and that's exactly why people think you are a glorified plonker....a relative who knows you have N20m to spend @ whorehouses every year would think you are wicked if you refuse to sponsor him abroad.

Again I ask: IS IT YOUR MONEY? Did you give me/your relative a damn kobo? If you still feel butt hurt about that, do me a favour-go and give a live NEPA transformer a lapdance. Nonsense.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 3:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
coogar:

You said it all rich folks. My response was in relation to the post. Some people think because their uncles work in some good organisation and he drives a good car he has the money to pay for their study abroad. If you have the money you can help and if you don't then there is nothing anyone can do however, people should start reasoning straight and not see the uncle(relative) in bad light.
Re: Sponsoring Relatives To Study Abroad by AjanleKoko: 4:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
It has been a good read.
However, 99% of the Yays and Nays have been from a sentimental viewpoint. The truth is, there is no free lunch. And foreign education is not a necessity, it's a luxury. No employer in Nigeria asks expressly for foreign degrees. If people want to travel they should just say they want to travel. All that 'the educational system in Nigeria has collapsed' is just sentimental crap.

However . . . I would be willing to consider a loan, just like the developed world does it. Fine, you want to travel abroad, for whatever reason or excuse. But you must be ready to pay for it. Heck, the former Bank PHB at some point was marketing loans for further study. But of course, once that money got to Nigerians, they absconded. There's a reason why education in the UK or US is better than Naija - it's more expensive. People have to learn to earn, that's my view. You want better thing, you have to pay for it.

Nobody did answer my question though. The Igbo chaps who finance their proteges in business - is that a gift also?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? / Do Pregnant Women Fart So Much? My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts... / Find A Way, Not An Excuse!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.