Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,576 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? (18562 Views)

UBA Security Collects Bribe At The ATM From Customer, Fight Ensues (Video) / How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / Do You Help Strangers To Withdraw At The ATM? Read What Happened To A Corper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by olaniyio1(m): 12:12am On Aug 05, 2012
Why Do You Still Count Your Money After ATM Has Dispensed?

I have seen most people count their money after the ATM machine has dispensed their cash. Is it that the machine can make mistakes even though such as not be recorded.air your view.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 3:05am On Aug 05, 2012
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.

20 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by swaggerific: 6:22am On Aug 05, 2012
Sometimes some of the money gets stuck in the "dispenser"...as in the money will come out but a piece of it will be in the atm. And you can easily forget grabbing it. For me, I count my money ohhh...dont want to hear stories about my money after hustling all day and all night for

6 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by gulfer: 7:02am On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.
This is Nija, anything is possible.

7 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Shugamania(f): 10:27am On Aug 05, 2012
I count my money too ;p. Partly because i've seen a friend get shortpaid cos d service was interrupted, and partly because it has become a part of me. It's more like a reflex action actually..

3 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ebamma(m): 11:29am On Aug 05, 2012
na naija we dey no be europe,u never can tell wetin naija atm fit do.

6 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ebamma(m): 11:31am On Aug 05, 2012
na nigeria be this you have to be absolutely sure of your money,afterall even computers make mistakes.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by methodman(m): 11:33am On Aug 05, 2012
Well...i do so often just to see if d machine fit overpay me...lol

12 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ebamma(m): 11:34am On Aug 05, 2012
just last week in the uk,an atm paid people double the amount the requested,if such mistakes can happen in a uk atm,how do you expect me to trust the nigerian atms

3 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by zumarock8(m): 11:35am On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:

ATM is a computer, hence it is bound to make errors, count uR monEy for confirmation
is not illiterate is wiseness SIMPLE

8 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Basic(m): 11:35am On Aug 05, 2012
ebamma: na naija we dey no be europe,u never can tell wetin naija atm fit do.
Let's continue to hold ATM machines as being 100% perfect as regards money counting so far nobody, even here in Naija, has ever claimed incompleteness of the money dispensed by an ATM. If anybody has ever experienced such, let us know. Until then, we hold on to the view that ATMs are perfect money counters.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by greall1: 11:36am On Aug 05, 2012
The only fault from ATM will debt you without paying you. That's network problem
And it can also pay if you not patient after rejected your card.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by pareto(m): 11:36am On Aug 05, 2012
Ignoramus!! It is better to count. Nothing like ATM doesnt make mistake. Sometimes, when it pays with both 500 and 1000 notes,there can be mix-up and you are shortipaid. I have seen it happen. Na you know! Mafi itiju karun!

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 05, 2012
I mean it's only commonsensical to do so. This is Nigeria, were nothing works and everything goes. Surely, it is reasonable to be doubly sure that your cash is in order after the machine dispenses. . .forget theoretical assumptions about how 'fool-proof' the ATM technology is in that regard.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 05, 2012
I do so too.... Betta to be sure, dan tell stories later.

Besides, our ATMs in naija can dispense torn and unusable notes.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by afolabom: 11:41am On Aug 05, 2012
How i go dey count money in front ATM.
Even if e no complete who u wan complain to?

12 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by idirect(m): 11:41am On Aug 05, 2012
Yeah...I aint trust nobody in my country even machines grin grin grin
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by DICKtator: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2012
Not only do I count it, I try as much as possible to check each note and also verify that my ATM card is still in one piece!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Ekans: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2012
Anything installed in nija can malfunction o,better count your while your still there.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Basic(m): 11:44am On Aug 05, 2012
zumarock8:

ATM is a computer, hence it is bound to make errors, count uR monEy for confirmation
is not illiterate is wiseness SIMPLE
If we all share your kind of mindset, we'll all check soft drinks for dirts after buying them before drinking them, we'll all request to see how neat Mr Biggs kitchens are before buying from them, we'll all check that each page of a brand new dictionary is intact before leaving the bookshop, in fact, when we receive a delivery report after sending a text message, we'll still call the recipients to confirm, when our car fuel meters indicate low fuel, we'll still dip a long tiny stick in the tank to confirm...
Stop thinking like the early man!

3 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by greall1: 11:45am On Aug 05, 2012
You can complain to bank and they will verify how true is it
Because bankers also know that anythin can happen with ATM machine
Because its working with network.

afolabom:
How i go dey count money in front ATM.
Even if e no complete who u wan complain to?

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ITbomb(m): 11:45am On Aug 05, 2012
olaniyi .o:
.seun please front page.
and it was done.
The silly topic made the front page
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Babalegba(m): 11:49am On Aug 05, 2012
Do not believe those people claiming that ATM cannot make mistakes. I tried to collect 160 pounds from Halifax machine in London, the machine gave me 80 pounds and debited 160. Luckily the bank was open, I went in and they corrected the error

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by strangest(m): 11:49am On Aug 05, 2012
Humanbeings makes mistake, these machines are built by humanbeings and definitely there is a possibility of an error along the line. Take for example the money counter used in banks to count money, if the money is not arranged properly there is every possibility that two or more notes can stick together and be counted as one. There only issue with ATM is how do you want to complain that you did not get the whole pack should incase if anything happen
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by mygee33(m): 11:49am On Aug 05, 2012
For me de question is...even if its not complete, what do u think you can do.
I just don't count mine!!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Dbboy(m): 11:51am On Aug 05, 2012
I count mine cos I have been short changed when the atm paid me and there was like 500 naira note in blw my 1000 naira note.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Chylo(m): 11:52am On Aug 05, 2012
Why is this on the front page now?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 05, 2012
Ekans: Anything installed in nija can malfunction o,better count your while your still there.
True.
I have gotten more money than I requested from an ATM before. It wasn't much, just an extra 500naira note. If you can count the money you should do so, machines are not perfect.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Sammypaul: 11:52am On Aug 05, 2012
I do count because i've seen one who typed in 4000 naira and got 3200 in return
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by zodosohio: 11:53am On Aug 05, 2012
its just natural for one to count his money,to me i don't think its wrong.sensor can fail
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 05, 2012
i still count while i have enough time to while away but i don't count on a busy day i just grab and pocket it..
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Danipassion: 11:55am On Aug 05, 2012
I think its advisable to count your money cos there may av been an error and mix up while (the bank staffs) selected the denominations to be used by the machine, eg. Mixing a #500 note in a tray that's meant 4 #1000 notes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Does a Kilowatt of Electricity Cost in Nigeria? / 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations / CBN limits Dollar Purchase From BDCs: $10000 For School Fees, $5000 For Medicals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.