Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,790 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? (18561 Views)

UBA Security Collects Bribe At The ATM From Customer, Fight Ensues (Video) / How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / Do You Help Strangers To Withdraw At The ATM? Read What Happened To A Corper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
[quote author=Basic]
If we all share your kind of mindset, we'll all check soft drinks for dirts after buying them before drinking them, we'll all request to see how neat Mr Biggs kitchens are before buying from them, we'll all check that each page of a brand new dictionary is intact before leaving the bookshop, in fact, when we receive a delivery report after sending a text message, we'll still call the recipients to confirm, when our car fuel meters indicate low fuel, we'll still dip a long tiny stick i
what does it take to count your money,anytin can happen becuz if thr machine can debit you without payin then it can also shortpay you,so dont talk about coca-cola or mr biggs cuz it only make you sound stupid
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by hardbody: 7:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.

Apart from the fact that you are dead on point, what argument will you present in a case between you and an inanimate machine as to what happened if u claim ur cash wasn't complete? It will simply be assumed that you are trying to make false claims and defraud the system. Besides, if a single case is allowed to pass as incomplete collection, it will open a floodgate of spurious claims by all and sundry. On grounds of public policy, I do not think any bank will entertain any claims of incomplete payout, and if were to be daft enough to sue, I bet you that the courts will throw your case out on grounds of public policy. IMO
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Redstone(m): 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2012
Thanks for your patronage all, stock available are listed below.

Blackberry Curve 4 (BLACK) extremely clean (like new, in pack with all accessories)....... 42K

Samsung Galaxy S1 (T-mobile version)4G. Loaded with apps. Extremely clean(Black)......35K

HTC HD7 (android, 16gig, amoled screen, 5.0Px cam) Extremely clean.............. 38K

Nokia N97,........ Extremely clean. ...... 18K last. (loaded with lots of apps)

BOLD 2 also available. Black = 30,000K and white is 31K

NOTE; N9 and Galaxy S2 will arrive this evening. Will update later today.

You can call 0805 951 9000. email: orjireds@gmail.com

You can also ask for any brand and model of phone you need, send us an email and we will send you a quote.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by truthhurts2: 8:33pm On Aug 05, 2012
ATM no dey over pay nd e no dey pay less. Soo why the counting?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by wales2007(m): 9:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
Why will I not confirm the cash received from ATM. I had received debit alert of N20k when I did not get a dime from d ATM.

I'll confirm my cash anytime anyday as long as d transaction is initiated in naija & naija ATM.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by crackhouse(m): 9:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
After getting ur money in a bank, next thing is to count b/4 u leave the counter otherwise whatever u see outside the counter is ur own cup of tea. So the same thing is applicable when using ATM.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by erico2k2(m): 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
lol this is funny well here in the UK,at one of the ATM at convent garden once uppon a time was overpaying people.So the ATM doeas makes mistakes,however whatever transaction you make is recorded correctly and in real time, so even if it under or over pay, its all recorded.Now my question for you guys who wanna count thier money at the cashpoint*** If you are underpaid by an ATM what are you gonna do?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by God2man(m): 10:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
naturalwaves: @mxxpunkxx,pls shut up and stop misleading people.A computer at any level be it a calculator or more sophisticated machines is like a dummy variable and works on d basis of what is known as PROGRAMS....a set of instructions that tells it what to do.A program has 2 aspects which are d SYNTAX and LOGIC.Syntax has to do with maybe or not d program is well written in d language while d Logic asseses maybe or not d program is correct.Back to ur calculator question,if d program written for d calculator is altered e.g maybe to add a +1 to every answer,wen u type 2+2,it will never give u 4,it will give u 5.With ur argument so far,it is obvious u seem to know only about hardware,u know nothing about software and programs.If U are still in doubt,go get a c compiler or pascal compiler and install it on ur system so I can give u tutorials so that u can see things for urself.Back to d Atm topic,a very skilled programmer can make an Atm misbehave simply by changing d program,infact,that is a small thing for hackers/crackers to do ok? Just try and learn huh? And stop insulting people. Infact if U are still in doubt,here is a link that u can see ti confirm.A live case to see ow someone tampered with d Atm.
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/programming_atm.html
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nov1ce(m): 10:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.
O boi! Na Naija we dey o!
I have known people who withdrew money and after deducting it from their account moni no commot from the machine!
I have recieved bad bills from ATM machines before!
So, as much as you give brutal intellectual gist, take practical experience from the field!

Juss Sayin...
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Aug 05, 2012
Atm (and or the operators) makes mistakes, better count your money before leaving. The day it paid me a single counterfeit from 20 notes of 1000, I marched into the bank and was directed to see a lady, the lady didnt even allow me to finish before opening a drawer, handed me a new note and took away the counterfeit. I dont know if the machine is to blame or humans but I will always count before leaving.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Super1759: 10:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
logica: OK, I will breakdown the simple logic for you. Somebody comes to the bank with let's say 2 fake 1000 bills. After withdrawing money from the ATM, he then swaps 2 of the bills with the fake bills. How can you prove this wasn't what you did?
I understand your point but the fact is so long as you tell them its from the atm.at first they will enquire to know.maybe the cash loaded wasn't sorted.(Separating the mint from soft note) but if its sorted.the custodian will insisted its not true but the please the customer.he will change it.afterall its jus 1000naira.unless it more than that
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Super1759: 10:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
yamakuza:

who bears this loss?

NDIC, the bank or the custodian?
bank cannot be at loss ooo,even 10kobo, the custodian can't jus change it from his pocket,its just 1000naira. I have changed a counter for a customer just to create peace.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Sirmikky1(m): 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
afolabom:
How i go dey count money in front ATM.
Even if e no complete who u wan complain to?

I wonder oo
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by BusHouse(m): 11:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
afolabom:
To the ATM nau, no b in pay u d moni? Lol
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by trojanjeremy: 11:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
Count or no count Naija must b great again!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by cherished(f): 11:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
it is always good to count ur cash, I had an experience once @ firstbank atm where I was paid fake 1k note among d money. If I had not counted and checked I won't have noticed.I complained to the bank and it was changed for Me.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 06, 2012
I didn't want to respond to this but after reading a few of the responses and/or misconceptions I guessed I should. I've seen people say it's naija mentality and all that...well, here's my take.

I worked in one of the top three banks in Nigeria as an e-frauds investigator for three years. I always count my money before I leave the ATM. here's why:

1. ATMs have different compartments for N1,000, N500, N200 etc. These monies are loaded by human beings who are naturally prone to error. So if someone places N200 notes in a N500 compartment or one N200 note in the midst of N500 notes, you may not notice until much later
2. Normally, on the pack used to wrap cash and usually on displays in the bank, it is stated that you must count cash before you leave the Teller point, this also applies to the ATM (Automated TELLER Machine)

Why?

The ATMs have cameras, and these cameras watch your withdrawals. And (usually) sees your cash dispensed and "watches" you count it. So, if SOMEBODY had made an error and you get some money short, say N200 instead of N1000, then when you report, your case will be credible because the first port of call is the ATM machine. If you withdrew your cash and walked away then returned in three days with a complaint, the investigation will need to be more thorough and lots of interviews, etc because it will be down to sentiment. But to allow logic and reality take control, I will always allow the camera witness my count.

Word of experience and for caution.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by swaggerific: 3:45am On Aug 06, 2012
tshoboy: if u finish countin and its nt complete,wat wud u do

Exactly...thats why I count it right there before I leave the ATM. If its not complete I'll call my bank and confirm how much was debited from my account
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by harlos: 3:51am On Aug 06, 2012
look at u even in the banking hall u r advise to count ur money before leavin that is after counting it with the counting machine in front if u cos they also knw machines too do mistake. i count mine o bt nt everytime
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by brabus(m): 4:40am On Aug 06, 2012
erico2k2: lol this is funny well here in the UK,at one of the ATM at convent garden once uppon a time was overpaying people.So the ATM doeas makes mistakes,however whatever transaction you make is recorded correctly and in real time, so even if it under or over pay, its all recorded.Now my question for you guys who wanna count thier money at the cashpoint*** If you are underpaid by an ATM what are you gonna do?

You need to see the gbege wey one guy give the Branch Manager of Oceanic Bank when he realized the ATM machine paid him N500 less. He was given the balance sharply.

ATM do short pay whether network issue or not. Just imagine N40k deducted from your account without been paid. I'm a witness to this. I got my money back after 2 months.

As for me, I do the following:
1. Insert my card and check my Account Balance.
2. Make a withdrawal
3. Count the money
4. Check my Account Balance

Naija ATM works like a Fuel Dispenser in a filling station which has been programmed to only sell short.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by kaze4blues(m): 4:46am On Aug 06, 2012
afolabom:
na so ma broda..wu u wan complain to
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by kaze4blues(m): 4:47am On Aug 06, 2012
BusHouse: To the ATM nau, no b in pay u d moni? Lol
u make me laff in ma native language
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 06, 2012
chuka2003:

lolz..oya if the atm shortchange you, what can you do standing in front of the ATM?? What happens? you want to start arguing with the machine?? lolz

i'm surprised at ur nothing-can-be-done attitude. If the ATM shortchanges me, i walk straight into the bank to lodge my complaint. It's much more believable than coming back later to do so, plus there may still be electronic evidence that you were actually shortchanged...
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Emmyruns: 6:40am On Aug 06, 2012
My pple, abeg make una dey count una cash wen ATM pay una o, because na naija b dis some ATM Dem program dem 2 dey do 419
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by tunde300us(m): 7:43am On Aug 06, 2012
My ppl,nobody is saying dont count your money after collecting it from the ATM,but pls dont stand in front of the ATM while others re waiting counting your money and wasting oda ppls time unnecessarily.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by brabus(m): 8:19am On Aug 06, 2012
tunde300us: My ppl,nobody is saying dont count your money after collecting it from the ATM,but pls dont stand in front of the ATM while others re waiting counting your money and wasting oda ppls time unnecessarily.

Bros, leave dat thing. It doesn't take forever to count your money. Highest - 45 seconds to count N40k.

Remember, there's a camera on the machine that records each transaction. You aren't competing with anybody, count your money. This is Naija!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by goldline76(m): 8:37am On Aug 06, 2012
Me sef don develop dat habit o. People talk say somtimes the money wey come out no dey complete nd e go debit d exact amt wey u withdraw. So wetin man go do na? To avoid problem, its good to count o though it makes me look stupid!

Those of una wey dey do online investment, make una check the links below. Na dem dey make me visit ATM often bc some thing dey happen.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by botahj: 8:54am On Aug 06, 2012
@folks who think only an uneducated person would do so. Let me give u a vivid experience.
Sometime in the last week of june this year after having just received a credit of 106k plus into my AFRICARD, i then used 54k to do something again online leaving me with a balance of #52,123 which i proceeded to withdraw using the service provider's ATM..
Suprisingly after the 1st 20k debit was done, i requested for a subsequent 20k debit only to be paid #4500 which looked like the 8th wonder of the world at that moment.. Mind you, my contact with counting huge sums dates back 20years ago and having worked in the bulkroom of a Nigerian bank 6years back and presently working as an auditor, i guess you can make your conclusions better now? I would advice you find out from persons it has happened to before you conclude.
Peace.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by hammedkola(m): 9:11am On Aug 06, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting, the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying

Don't tell me you don't count your money except you are withdrawing just 1 thousand or 2 thousand. Am damn sure you will count it anything from 5k. Orelse, i will say you are a banker from your comment and you don't need to goto ATM to withdraw
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by osikhueme(f): 9:13am On Aug 06, 2012
Ogar, i have gone to withdraw 40k before and i was paid 39k5...if i didn't count, i wont have known

I let it go though cos they said i shd come back 2 complain on Monday (this was a Saturday) and that was a long tin

Machines r not perfect

mxxpunkxx!:
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Silvawazza(m): 11:00am On Aug 06, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
U ARE A BIG FOOL 4 DAT WORDS... ATM MACHINES ARE 65% WORKING WELL COS MOST OF DEM ARE USED ONE.. DO U KNW ATM MACHINES DISPENSE FAKE NAIRA NOTES?

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by kilanko5: 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2012
Danipassion: I think its advisable to count your money cos there may av been an error and mix up while (the bank staffs) selected the denominations to be used by the machine, eg. Mixing a #500 note in a tray that's meant 4 #1000 notes

You are right

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Does a Kilowatt of Electricity Cost in Nigeria? / 3000 Dock Workers Retrenched As 20 Shipping Companies Shut Operations / CBN limits Dollar Purchase From BDCs: $10000 For School Fees, $5000 For Medicals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.