Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,474 members, 7,781,382 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:31 PM

Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? (3196 Views)

Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. / My Car Vibrates When Engine Is Idling / Does A Car Consume More Fuel When Idling Or When Speeding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by forbeta: 11:14am On Aug 05, 2012
Please Help...
I use a Honda Accord(Bulldog). D problem is when i starts d car first time in the morning, the engine idling(fire) reads 1, but reduces gradually with time from 1 to 0.2 and as a result, the engine begins to vibrate and stops whenever i marsh brake. Dis happens especially when d A/C is on. I hav tried all d mechanics that i knw but dey culd not solve it. Can any one pls tel me what the cause is?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by kenmaro: 11:52am On Aug 05, 2012
when last did u change ur spark plugs?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by forbeta: 12:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
Thank you! After complaining to my mechanic, he told me to change d plugs, fuel filter and to also service d nozzles which i did but d problem still persist. Is they any other thing you think i should do?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by yungboss(m): 4:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
in some cars, it is caused by the balance shaft of the engine, i dont know if its same with the honda accord.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
forbeta: Please Help...
I use a Honda Accord(Bulldog). D problem is when i starts d car first time in the morning, the engine idling(fire) reads 1, but reduces gradually with time from 1 to 0.2 and as a result, the engine begins to vibrate and stops whenever i marsh brake. Dis happens especially when d A/C is on. I hav tried all d mechanics that i knw but dey culd not solve it. Can any one pls tel me what the cause is?

You say the idling reduces from 1 to 0,2. Could you please clarify what the 1 and 0,2 represent? That way I won't be giving you advice based upon an assumption.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by forbeta: 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
Thank you! I mean the fire of the engine. That meter in the dash board that increases as you continue to marsh the throtle of your car. That is the meter that indicates the speed of your engine.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Trac: 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2012
forbeta: Please Help...

It would also be helpful if you stated the make and model of your vehicle along with the year along with a few prior repairs and factory alterations. You will be assisted easily.

At this point, never take the battery out.

Siena:

You say the idling reduces from 1 to 0,2. Could you please clarify what the 1 and 0,2 represent? That way I won't be giving you advice based upon an assumption.

Siena, I think his vehicle is stumbling (from his description). Messed up trims: his values are off predefined/allowable statistics due to his MAF going bad. From presumptions, this is a best of hypothesis.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by pannyman(m): 9:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
Clean the throttle body with carburettor cleaner. Also dust out the air filter.

Your engine is starved of air because the throttle body is clogged up with dust.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
I think the extra load on the engine makes the idling to go down to zero when d AC is on. If this really happens only when the AC is on, I suggest you ask your mechanic to tune up your engine a little to maybe 1.2

Also before u do this check all your engine seats most especially the back engine seat which is the most difficult to see. U can see it when u enter a pit in a mechanic workshop. Honda hallas and bulldog especially manual drive have problems with engine seat.

All the best
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Ikenna351(m): 9:53pm On Aug 05, 2012
pannyman: Clean the throttle body with carburettor cleaner. Also dust out the air filter.

Your engine is starved of air because the throttle body is clogged up with dust.

He should leave the Throttle body for now and deal with IAC (idle Air control valve) first. From the symptom he described, its idle related.

@Op,

When the throttle body butterfly closses, the IAC bypassed air from the air filter box into the intake manifold, to keep supplying air needed for combustion. If the IAC is dirty or clogged, the valve inside wont be opening and closing properly when the throttle body butterfly opens and closes.

If I were you, I would pull out the IAC, clean it with carb cleaner, allow it to dry, lubricate it with engine oil before mounting it back. And make sure the socket is well plugged in.

No matter how you clean your thottle body and the IAC is still not opening as factory, the engine will never idle properly. It will always stall. But it wont hurt to clean the throttle body afterwards.

Ikenna.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Trac: 1:24am On Aug 06, 2012
Ikenna351:

He should leave the Throttle body for now and deal with IAC (idle Air control valve) first. From the symptom he described, its idle related.

@Op,

When the throttle body butterfly closses, the IAC bypassed air from the air filter box into the intake manifold, to keep supplying air needed for combustion. If the IAC is dirty or clogged, the valve inside wont be opening and closing properly when the throttle body butterfly opens and closes.

If I were you, I would pull out the IAC, clean it with carb cleaner, allow it to dry, lubricate it with engine oil before mounting it back. And make sure the socket is well plugged in.

No matter how you clean your thottle body and the IAC is still not opening as factory, the engine will never idle properly. It will always stall. But it wont hurt to clean the throttle body afterwards.

Ikenna.

A stumbling is a MAF issue and not a pulse issue from the idle speed control unit. Stumbling not rough idling but bad momentary idle that causes the engine to shudder (so the engine is killed). This is the symptom of a bad MAF. He wouldn't have gotten a proper start-up duty and then it goes all south within a minute or less. If he forces to rev it to keep it alive, it will rev inconsistently across the tach as it tries to faint. It killed the engine not fluctuating the idle up/down and leaving it in that state. The check-engine-light should also not be cleared for it isn't suppose to after service. It will reset itself. This is for adaptability. Also, diagnosing ICV's starts with testing the sensor with a multimeter for voltage drops and proceeding to the valve itself. If the fault is at the control sensor, changing the valve will not help.

Throttle body is completely off-limits in isolating the problem. However, it is strongly recommended to clean the whole thing with the entire intake along with the flame-trap (if the vehicle has one).

What Honda is he referring to?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by ayusman16(m): 9:02am On Aug 06, 2012
I need help on my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder (Platinum Edition). My car jerks violently when i try to accelerate on high speed. I have checked d nozzle, plugs, fuel filter but the issue still persist. Also after scanning it reads "Airflow metre pressure insufficient. Kindly advice before my mech bleeds me.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Ikenna351(m): 9:57am On Aug 06, 2012
Trac:

A stumbling is a MAF issue and not a pulse issue from the idle speed control unit. Stumbling not rough idling but bad momentary idle that causes the engine to shudder (so the engine is killed). This is the symptom of a bad MAF. He wouldn't have gotten a proper start-up duty and then it goes all south within a minute or less. If he forces to rev it to keep it alive, it will rev inconsistently across the tach as it tries to faint. It killed the engine not fluctuating the idle up/down and leaving it in that state. The check-engine-light should also not be cleared for it isn't suppose to after service. It will reset itself. This is for adaptability. Also, diagnosing ICV's starts with testing the sensor with a multimeter for voltage drops and proceeding to the valve itself. If the fault is at the control sensor, changing the valve will not help.

Throttle body is completely off-limits in isolating the problem. However, it is strongly recommended to clean the whole thing with the entire intake along with the flame-trap (if the vehicle has one).

What Honda is he referring to?

He was referring to the fifth generation Honda Accord '94-'97.

I think Honda used AFM in their old cars and not MAF, i think.

Ikenna
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by forbeta: 11:00am On Aug 06, 2012
@Ikenna. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions i really appreciate.
The car being referred to here is a 96 Honda Accord(Bulldog). Can u pls throw more light on the meaning of IAC & MAF?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 07, 2012
From my own View, I guess his making refference to his RPM when car is idle

For me My RPM guage at start is the morning goes above 1 and graudally falls to about 0.5, I guess anything bellow 0.5 gives the engine a ratlling noise or power goes off...

My opinion here is does he have to adjust the idling rpm to achieve a balance on power? I know a feel people get it adjusted to maintain a bit of sability and less vibration...
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Trac: 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ikenna351:

He was referring to the fifth generation Honda Accord '94-'97.

I think Honda used AFM in their old cars and not MAF, i think.

Ikenna

Air flow meter, air meter, mass air flow is all the same thing. Different people and manufacturers call them differently. That is where his problem is. He will have to replace the sensor but not delete the check engine light for the engine would have to readjust to factory's defined statistics. The trims are sinking low.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Trac: 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
babs2aroks: From my own View, I guess his making refference to his RPM when car is idle

For me My RPM guage at start is the morning goes above 1 and graudally falls to about 0.5, I guess anything bellow 0.5 gives the engine a ratlling noise or power goes off...

My opinion here is does he have to adjust the idling rpm to achieve a balance on power? I know a feel people get it adjusted to maintain a bit of sability and less vibration...

Is 500 rpm what the factory intend for it to be normal operation? If you never took time to find out, I'd be a bit concerned because it is low.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Idling(fire) Reduces Gradually After Starting? by Trac: 4:46am On Aug 09, 2012
babs2aroks: From my own View, I guess his making refference to his RPM when car is idle

I just found out today that idle does 500 - 650 mark when the oil pressure is at 1.5 bar (after two hours of combined driving). I was always use to the idle in the morning. It must vary from car to car.

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Shock And Strut / Best Engine Oil For Honda Accord EOD 4 Cylinder / Wither The El-rufai Taxis Of The FCT?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.