Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA (6971 Views)

Senators On Tour Of Federal Roads In South-East Nigeria (Photos) / Fg’ll Establish New Special Forces To Tackle Terrorism – Jonathan / FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by supereagle(m): 4:05am On Aug 06, 2012
Chairman of the Federal Road Maintenance Agency, Ezekiel Adeniji, has said the Federal Government will soon reintroduce tollgates to federal roads across the country.

Adeniji, who spoke in an interview with online journal, Economic Confidential, on Saturday in Abuja, said it would generate revenue for government and jobs for Nigerians.

He did not, however, give a specific date for the reintroduction of tollgates.

Adeniji said, “Tolling is universal for revenue generation and job creation. In developed countries, there is no place you go to that you don’t pay toll for the roads you use.

“If you are paying for water, electricity and communication, why can’t you pay for good roads? We will have more revenue to maintain the roads.

“Because when you toll, you get more revenue, you create more jobs and you have funds to maintain the roads.”

Because when you toll, you get more revenue, you create more jobs and you have funds to maintain the roads.”

Tollgates were scrapped by President Olusegun Obasanjo during his tenure. However, since his exit in 2007, there had been reports that government was considering the return of tollgates to federal roads, especially as some states like Lagos had successfully introduced such on their roads.

The FERMA boss also said the agency would recruit 10,000 Nigerians from communities where it would be engaged in major road maintenance work before the end of the year.

Adeniji said, “We intend to employ 10,000 youths along our routes before the end of the year. I mean 10,000 youths to work as labourers.

“They will have identity cards. They don’t even need to open bank accounts as they could be paid in cash.

“We want to hire indigenes living along federal roads as labourers. Those indigenes will be working on roads that affect their lives directly. The labourers should be the indigenes of the localities, while the leaders and head of the team could come from anywhere as far as they are Nigerians.”

He also said federal road maintenance engineers had been deployed in the 36 states to manage 95 road camps, adding that these would soon be increased to 500.

He said, “We are working towards having about 500 road camps where the indigenous population would be recruited to monitor the roads and report to FRMEs towards the maintenance of the roads.”

He said the efforts would reduce crime on the highways and create job opportunities for unemployed youths within the communities.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fgll-reintroduce-tollgates-on-federal-roads-ferma/
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by koruji(m): 4:10am On Aug 06, 2012
Here we go again.

1 Like

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by alstacs(m): 5:04am On Aug 06, 2012
One of the main reasons Obj demolished the previous gates was because operators print personal receipts and pocketed all the proceeds. The government got nothing and the paying-road users were made to pay, yet the roads were not maintained.
If gates are going to be re-introduced, cash payments should be discouraged and the gates should be automated.
Bringing back the gates however is not welcome at all. Pay more for fuel, electricity, tax yet all the proceeds are swallowed!

2 Likes

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Kpac(m): 8:33am On Aug 06, 2012
FG: We would still re-introduce tollgates back on federal roads.
Me: What wouldn't you still do ?
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by inspirenet: 8:41am On Aug 06, 2012
koruji: Here we go again.

smiley
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by banki(m): 9:06am On Aug 06, 2012
if my memory serves me right when this toll gates were removed the price of fuel was increased and the mark up on fuel was seen by objs government as a means to curtail the fraud at the toll gates and also used to maintain the Federal roads....well over the last couple of years do we have results no, did they use the money to fix or maintain our roads no instead they increased the price of fuel instead they turned FERMA into an avenue for looting funds, they appointed Kure chairman then iwuanyawu..... na wah this PDP party of choice for the ENEMIES OF NIGERIA

6 Likes

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Afam4eva(m): 9:12am On Aug 06, 2012
Not again
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Biggyd2: 9:21am On Aug 06, 2012
The masses are tired o. They same toll that Nigerians paid before and the money was squandered before OBJ scrapped them? Nigerians now find it difficult to believe our government. We are tired of deceits. Is this going to be another avenue to "share" money? Or is it a just a matter of emulating what Lagos State is doing? One thing is sure though, NIGERIANS ARE TIRED OF THE SUFFERINGS! angry angry angry

And we should be ready for the reintroduction of police "roadtoll blocks" on the highways because these toll gates would need to be "protected".

2 Likes

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by gegee(m): 9:26am On Aug 06, 2012
Generate more revenue my as5 As if dem don manage d revenue wey dey now no be so so waste dem dey waste revenue...mcheeeeww.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Moralistli(m): 9:29am On Aug 06, 2012
what can one say?

Anyways, good if they can reintroduce it 'cos the proceeds will go a long way in maintaining the bad roads IF NOT AGAIN SIPHONED AS USUAL!
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by juyifloss(m): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2012
This our Nigerian govt is just crazy, even if u want 2 reintroduce tolls, y wldnt u even think of refurbishing and reconstruction of these roads that r in a very terrible state atm, I drove on Lagos-Ibadan express ystedy and I had no choice dan 2 curse our government, these death traps are killing souls erryday and dey still have d guts 2 say dey want 2 collects tolls? God help Nigeria!!!
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by redcliff: 9:31am On Aug 06, 2012
the most unserious and most circumspect set of leadership this country has ever witnessed...i wonder how a country with such leadership dont have a blueprint as to how to push its citizenry and the state forward. Always going back and forth in decision making. DEAD set of people!!!

1 Like

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by lacasa: 9:40am On Aug 06, 2012
The most Clueless anϑ idiotic set of people in govt since 1960 angry

OMG! Wen u jst tink goodluck mst ave done it all, Ɣou wake up ϯo a more damning news

Toll-gates!!? Just imagine the fool angry

Nigeria is cursed
angry
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 06, 2012
alstacs: One of the main reasons Obj demolished the previous gates was because operators print personal receipts and pocketed all the proceeds. The government got nothing and the paying-road users were made to pay, yet the roads were not maintained.
If gates are going to be re-introduced, cash payments should be discouraged and the gates should be automated.
Bringing back the gates however is not welcome at all. Pay more for fuel, electricity, tax yet all the proceeds are swallowed!
Seconded!
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 06, 2012
Why introduce toll on old roads ? That should be resisted. But if its brand new roads under PPP construction then the PPP contractors can use their money to build the roads and toll it for an agreed period of time. I hate tolls.

3 Likes

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Biggyd2: 9:43am On Aug 06, 2012
Do we have a comprehensive report on the implementation of the SURE programme? People let us hold these people accountable. This country belongs to all of us, not just for the elected politicians. They should let us know what they are doing with our money.

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by ifihearam: 9:51am On Aug 06, 2012
lacasa: The most Clueless anϑ idiotic set of people in govt since 1960 angry

OMG! Wen u jst tink goodluck mst ave done it all, Ɣou wake up ϯo a more damning news

Nigeria is cursed
angry

Your father and buhari are fools
Your father,you and buhari are cursed although the curse is taking effect already. Idiot.
When fashola introduced the toll for those in lekki and ajah,are the residents dead now??v
Common it is a room to create employment to idle and jobless youths like you.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 06, 2012
Majority of the Toll gates were in the south.. Non were in the North. Those were part of the reasons OBJ demolish smiley

1 Like

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by ifeci: 10:00am On Aug 06, 2012
and all these have been coming from a PDP led Government. Doesn't it ring a bell folks? that these people are clueless? Just asking.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by taharqa: 10:09am On Aug 06, 2012
I will resist dis move 4 one reason-d toll gates were brought down as a bargaining chip by d govt to increase fuel price at a time..so keep d agreement
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by ifeci: 10:10am On Aug 06, 2012
ifihearam:

Your father,you and buhari are cursed although the curse is taking effect already. Idiot.
When fashola introduced the toll for those in lekki and ajah,are the residents dead now??v

Yeah, we know you have a job as long as Seun keeps paying the bills for Nairaland to stay online. My advice, Always put Seun in ur prayers cos witout him, u will equally be jobless. U mentioned the lekki-Ajah express way; dt ws newly constructed! the tolls in question were existent and all of a sudden, a PDP led Gvt invested so much money in2 pulling them down and now a PDP led Gvt again is telling us that they are going to reconstruct them. This is just a waste of resources from a plan-less Government if u ask me.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 06, 2012
bennyraz: Majority of the Toll gates were in the south.. Non were in the North. Those were part of the reasons OBJ demolish smiley
are u Zap.i.n.g kidding me? Ok na! We are waiting for the new toll gates.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by ifihearam: 10:28am On Aug 06, 2012
ifeci:

Yeah, we know you have a job as long as Seun keeps paying the bills for Nairaland to stay online. My advice, Always put Seun in ur prayers cos witout him, u will equally be jobless. U mentioned the lekki-Ajah express way; dt ws newly constructed! the tolls in question were existent and all of a sudden, a PDP led Gvt invested so much money in2 pulling them down and now a PDP led Gvt again is telling us that they are going to reconstruct them. This is just a waste of resources from a plan-less Government if u ask me.

Have you ever considered the motive of creating jobs for our teeming youths across the country? And yes tolls should be on newly constructed roads but the idea of job creation is a welcomed development.

Finally you are a punk becos nairaland is the only place I can engage ina conversation with you so thank seun again .
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by greall1: 10:28am On Aug 06, 2012
another way to embezzle
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by proudlyafrican(m): 10:47am On Aug 06, 2012
ifihearam:

I will continue to challenge you anytime you fail to use your brain.What was the state of Lekki & Ajah roads when Fashola introduced the toll? Was it in a dilapidated State like the Federal roads? You don`t beging to tax the people on empty and unreliazable promises.Let the FG fix the roads first and then introduce the toll as Fashola did in the Lekki and Ajah axis....And please learn how not to use derogatory words on people this a public forum and i believe we are here to express our views intelligently.

3 Likes

Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by ismhab(m): 10:49am On Aug 06, 2012
THANKS FOR THE FRESH AIR.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by otokx(m): 10:55am On Aug 06, 2012
Government magic
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Mutee: 11:14am On Aug 06, 2012
lacasa: The most Clueless anϑ idiotic set of people in govt since 1960 angry

Nigeria is cursed
angry

Abeg abeg abeg, Nigeria is not cursed but PDP govt. is. Behave yourself abeg.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by Mutee: 11:22am On Aug 06, 2012
Didn't we know all these reasons before? Abeg make we hear word jor! Clueless govt. Mtchewwwww!
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by dedeike: 11:33am On Aug 06, 2012
I support the re introduction of tolls on our federal highways. It is the norm globally. But such tollgates must be done under concession arrangements.
If the roads are concessioned, then we are guaranteed that the concessionaires will fix the roads and maintain it accordingly. Then motorists can have real value for their tolls.
What I abhor is a situation whereby govt will erect tolls on bad roads. It will amount to exploitation of the highest order. But I'm sure this govt won't behave that way.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by ifeci: 11:40am On Aug 06, 2012
dedeike: I support the re introduction of tolls on our federal highways. It is the norm globally. But such tollgates must be done under concession arrangements.
If the roads are concessioned, then we are guaranteed that the concessionaires will fix the roads and maintain it accordingly. Then motorists can have real value for their tolls.
What I abhor is a situation whereby govt will erect tolls on bad roads. It will amount to exploitation of the highest order. But I'm sure this govt won't behave that way.

Why are we not surprised? you support any Poo from ur clueless paymasters.
Re: Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA by jmaine: 11:41am On Aug 06, 2012
taharqa: I will resist dis move 4 one reason-d toll gates were brought down as a bargaining chip by d govt to increase fuel price at a time..so keep d agreement

Thanks for this reminder . . . .and i wish all tiers of our govt will eradicate their Policy Somersault Syndrome

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? / Re: Igbo Group Seeks Appointive Positions In Akwa Ibom / Igbo People Prostrate And Apologised To Deji Of Akure-picture Inside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.