Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,231 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. (16708 Views)

NASA Spacecraft Embarks On Historic Journey Into Interstellar Space / Twin NASA Spacecraft Prepare To Crash Into Moon / NASA Spacecraft Speeding Toward Mars Landing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by ayox2003: 5:20pm On Aug 06, 2012
Darui: @Nebeuwa
Neil deGrasse tyson.

Ask any of them to ID michael jordan or Usain Bolt.......

Pathetically ignorant folks.

Very correct.

There is this man, Prof. Ibitayo Akinwande. He is among the team of those who made us have LCD TV in our homes today. Numerous patents to his name. Africans are reppin over there. This I can boldly say.

Frawzey.

1 Like

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 06, 2012
shymmex:

And what did humanity benefit from the Apollo moon landing of 1969

Just waste of resources!! undecided undecided
Dude wen science started no one knew it wil take over art,philosophy, and d rest. Scientist were ridiculed and sometimes killed. Research is abt discovering new things and it hs to wit pure science. Applied science is wat uses research results to produce immediate benefits.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Peterwins(m): 5:28pm On Aug 06, 2012
CONGRATS to NASA. A big step in space exploration. In fact if NASA had shares for sale I would have purchased some. Perhaps I should find a way of purchasing some SPACEX shares even before they go public. The benefits of space exploration are so many...... GPRS, GSM, Medical research, weather forecasts, etc.
For me, this achievement by NASA inspires me to purse my dreams until I achieve each one.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by ODB1: 5:29pm On Aug 06, 2012
shymmex:

the moon landing gave you microwave oven, internet and fast convinient p0rn downloads.
be grateful!

2 Likes

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2012
favouredjb: Nice achievement,they should also get a cure for cancer quickly,the scourge is deadly.

The lasting cure for Cancer lies in eating fresh organic foods and avoiding junk foods and what have you, to keep your Immune system strong. Stay away from polluted areas caused by "Industrial Civilization".

Do not put your hopes on "Big Pharm". People who are out there to take advantage of your fears and produce pills with damaging Side effects.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by bayo22: 5:32pm On Aug 06, 2012
Actually it cost$ 2.67
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2012
One trait of americans is dat they are very patriotic. They beliv so much in their nation. Hope u noticed their flag in d celebration room. They dnt joke wit it. Hardly wil watch an american movie frm beginin to end witout a flash of their flag. Even ordinary residents in US hangs on their houses, rarely do u find nigerians displayin our flag dat way even wit all d beauty of our flag(green white green). I pray things get better so that our patriotism wil improve. Wen i got d info that they are leadin in d current olympics,i asked maself why are these ppl leadin in everyfin,well great job by NASA,hope they wil be able to get informative data frm mars. On another note,i suggest they pay one of these suicide bombers to man d craft,since d bombers dnt giv a damn abt their life...lol

2 Likes

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by ODB1: 5:35pm On Aug 06, 2012
Olodostein:

The lasting cure for Cancer lies in eating fresh organic foods and avoiding junk foods and what have you, to keep your Immune system strong. Stay away from polluted areas caused by "Industrial Civilization".

Do not put your hopes on "Big Pharm". People who are out there to take advantage of your fears and produce pills with damaging Side effects.

cancers are viral related, so is diabetes. There is also a genetic link. My dad smoked till he died in his late 80's (no pu33y cancer but a car accident)
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nebeuwa(m): 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2012
centje: One trait of americans is dat they are very patriotic. They beliv so much in there nation. Hope u noticed their flag in d celebration room. They dnt joke wit it. Hardly wil watch an american movie frm beginin to end witout a flash of their flag. Wen i got d info that they are leadin in d current olympics,i asked maself why are these ppl leadin in everyfin,well great job by NASA,hope they wil be able to get informative data frm mars. On another note,i suggest they pay one of these suicide bombers to man d craft,since d bombers dnt giv a damn abt their life...lol

Most Americans believe in American exceptionalism. That is the secret. To push the limits of exploration. Something to be admired about the American spirit.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by shymex(m): 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2012
centje:
Dude wen science started no one knew it wil take over art,philosophy, and d rest. Scientist were ridiculed and sometimes killed. Research is abt discovering new things and it hs to wit pure science. Applied science is wat uses research results to produce immediate benefits.

That's why most of you are ignorant smh..

What's Science?

Science = philosophy/knowledge - is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.

Science existed before the modern era - every other civilization known to mankind was a result of science... The egyptians, greeks, Songhai, ancient china, sacred science of the dogon etc. built their civilizations with SCIENCE... The only difference between their science, and 'modern science' is that they made sure they PROTECTED this planet... Everything they did was to enhance the planet and not destroy it...

I'm going to ask you guys again, what's in this for HUMANITY?
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 06, 2012
Peterwins: CONGRATS to NASA. A big step in space exploration. In fact if NASA had shares for sale I would have purchased some. Perhaps I should find a way of purchasing some SPACEX shares even before they go public. The benefits of space exploration are so many...... GPRS, GSM, Medical research, weather forecasts, etc.
For me, this achievement by NASA inspires me to purse my dreams until I achieve each one.

The Russians first went to space : Yourri Gagarin. And American Astronauts still go there using their spacecraft. So stop giving NASA due they don't really deserve.

1 Like

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by shymex(m): 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2012
A quick look at all the posters on here shows that most of you were born and raised in Nigeria.. grin

I see why every little thing done by white people would make you savages jump up and down like monkeys...

A country where most still believe and kill one another over folklore religions and foreign religions...

Like Sagamite would say: "PRODUCTS OF A FAILED EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM AND FAILED COUNTRY!" cool
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by JustinNepolian: 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2012
na hu send them
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 06, 2012
shymex:

What's Science?

Science = philosophy/knowledge - is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.

Science existed before the modern era - every other civilization known to mankind was a result of science... The egyptians, greeks, Songhai, ancient china, sacred science of the dogon etc. built their civilizations with SCIENCE... The only difference between their science, and 'modern science' is that they made sure they PROTECTED this planet... Everything they did was to enhance the planet and not destroy it...

Now, this is True knowledge.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Iskra: 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2012
NLanders shouldnt always be quick to jump on the Band wagon of ignorance...when you dont know, the primary thing to do is try to at least learn. I would want to speak generally about space exploration and its benefits. First of all, why do we even need to explore. you could pose a similar but closer to home question like, why do you have to leave your home at all. why not be given birth to, grow all your food, get all your resources under the same roof. already you are reading me describe an utter absurdity and practical impossibility. We explore because our needs can only be met from us going out to search. By nature, man(I mean every right thinking man)is a being of curiosity(very interesting because coincidentally this is the same name given to the Mars rover), and this curiosity may take different forms (hopefully it is driven by the right type of goals). Space exploration has not only been beneficial to man but it has accelerated by leaps and bounds the current development found on earth. From the way we communicate(GPS,phones, internet TV(even thought TV make us more dumb when all we watch is rubbish)) to the materials we have today available for building our houses, making our tools and equipment, cars etc. If these benefits have not reached you in one form or another, then you definitely must be living out of planet earth. Space exploration leads to products which are called spin-offs...and it is these spin-offs that power a lot of companies...because the main space agencies which do real research licence commercial partners to produce items from technologies they(space agencies) have incubated and mastered.

So to move this discussion forward a bit. If you think going to space and exploring new frontiers is a waste of time...your mind is definitely in a sorry state and must be transformed by real studying what this portends for the human race. I am sure such minds would have also said there was no need trying to fly in air or cross large oceans and seas. This is the mind set of those who fail to question the status quo, we are right where we are (backward and happy but yet suffering)because of this same mentality. The human spirit is meant to do great things and untill we stop listening to pastors and Imams, out of fashion professors teaching out of fashion syllabi and fake witch doctors and government propagandists telling us how to think...every development of man will be seen as a waste of time. The laws of nature must be obeyed wheather you like it or not. reform or die. and such reform is never in joining the bandwagon to do what is wrong, because nature by its very design recoils at evil and injustice and ignorance...that is why you can be sure to get uprisings and killings and crime in societies that have defied these eternal laws while those that have tried the most to obey them...reap the fruits.

Exploring space is a necessity, if it is not your point of view, then shut up and fight over your fathers plot of land...one day it wont even be yours.

3 Likes

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nebeuwa(m): 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2012
It seems like some people are suffering from an inferiority complex. Why would you not celebrate this successful endeavor brought to you by NASA? This is another step towards humanity's exploration of the cosmos.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nebeuwa(m): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2012
Iskra: NLanders shouldnt always be quick to jump on the Band wagon of ignorance...when you dont know, the primary thing to do is try to at least learn. I would want to speak generally about space exploration and its benefits. First of all, why do we even need to explore. you could pose a similar but closer to home question like, why do you have to leave your home at all. why not be given birth to, grow all your food, get all your resources under the same roof. already you are reading me describe an utter absurdity and practical impossibility. We explore because our needs can only be met from us going out to search. By nature, man(I mean every right thinking man)is a being of curiosity(very interesting because coincidentally this is the same name given to the Mars rover), and this curiosity may take different forms (hopefully it is driven by the right type of goals). Space exploration has not only been beneficial to man but it has accelerated by leaps and bounds the current development found on earth. From the way we communicate(GPS,phones, internet TV(even thought TV make us more dumb when all we watch is rubbish)) to the materials we have today available for building our houses, making our tools and equipment, cars etc. If these benefits have not reached you in one form or another, then you definitely must be living out of planet earth. Space exploration leads to products which are called spin-offs...and it is these spin-offs that power a lot of companies...because the main space agencies which do real research licence commercial partners to produce items from technologies they(space agencies) have incubated and mastered.

So to move this discussion forward a bit. If you think going to space and exploring new frontiers is a waste of time...your mind is definitely in a sorry state and must be transformed by real studying what this portends for the human race. I am sure such minds would have also said there was no need trying to fly in air or cross large oceans and seas. This is the mind set of those who fail to question the status quo, we are right where we are (backward and happy but yet suffering)because of this same mentality. The human spirit is meant to do great things and untill we stop listening to pastors and Imams, out of fashion professors teaching out of fashion syllabi and fake witch doctors and government propagandists telling us how to think...every development of man will be seen as a waste of time. The laws of nature must be obeyed wheather you like it or not. reform or die. and such reform is never in joining the bandwagon to do what is wrong, because nature by its very design recoils at evil and injustice and ignorance...that is why you can be sure to get uprisings and killings and crime in societies that have defied these eternal laws while those that have tried the most to obey them...reap the fruits.

Exploring space is a necessity, if it is not your point of view, then shut up and fight over your fathers plot of land...one day it wont even be yours.

Another great post. Post like this are restoring my faith in Nairaland. Thank you for being passionate and articulate in your response.

And a special thanks to the moderators who placed this article on the front page.

1 Like

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2012
shymex:

What's Science?

Like i said earlier, some science researches dnt hv a clear immediate benefits. Definitely there r reasons why they hv kept their eye on d mars. Of wch no one can, confidently and wit assurance,state its benefits to humanity. And even their aim of d research might change dependin on d data they receive frm 'curiosity'. Philosophy existed b4 pure science. Philosophy waz based of assumption and extension of existin knowledge witout systematic approach.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by YoursGEJ(m): 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2012
this post has been bombed...by boko haram.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by mylunch: 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2012
why can't most people express their opinion with out deliberately insulting others?actually,to me,i believe this is fundamentally a trade mark of an entirely rural person or an illiterate.The world has gone pass this.

2 Likes

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 06, 2012
O.D.B.:

cancers are viral related, so is diabetes. There is also a genetic link. My dad smoked till he died in his late 80's (no pu33y cancer but a car accident)

Your Dad must have eat very well(fresh and organic). It is not uncommon to see our older generation living into their 80's unlike what we see today.

A reputable Doctor once said Cancer, HIV and other "untreatable diseases" cannot survive a very healthy Liver.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by ODB1: 5:59pm On Aug 06, 2012
Olodostein:

Your Dad must have eat very well(fresh and organic). It is not uncommon to see our older generation living into their 80's unlike what we see today.

A reputable Doctor once said Cancer, HIV and other "untreatable diseases" cannot survive a very healthy Liver.

I smoke 2 -3 packs a day, like a beer every night and have never come down with influenza or a common cold, I only have been in the hospital once and that was for Typhoid Fever (which nearly killed me, it was chronic and I never felt symptoms till the last stage).
Other than that the only thing that affects my health is ...wait for it,
Krptonite!

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 06, 2012
Mars is rich in Diamonds and Precious Stones. Its time we bring home some precious stones.

1 Like

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nightshift(m): 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2012
I'm really fascinated by the fact that there are billions of planets and stars in the universe. Imagine having the opportunity when one dies, to explore some of those planets and stars. Sure, in a different form . David says in the psalms that ' only God know the depths of the universe '
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by ODB1: 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2012
Billyonaire: Mars is rich in Diamonds and Precious Stones. Its time we bring home some precious stones.

implying that space travel is for mining resources.
The Europeans set out across the Atlantic to get a new frontier in their empire and not just for mining resources
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Iskra: 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2012
@ Centje...its nice to read your post but not for the reason that what you say makes much sense. maybe you are not just expressing yourself clearly, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt...or rather the benefit of another post which is better articulated...I might state though, that on NL communication should be the aim of our entire discourse. And please do this is what ever language bests suites you I am sure someone else can come and explain in Flawlessly written english... To your post, do you really think that curiosity was launched as some lotto-like display of let us see if this is possible. do you think before the "Well spent billions" were allocated for that project,nobody vetted the pros and cons of going to mars. This is not some hapharzard attempt at exploration, it is a well thought out and clearly defined goal oriented mission. That they dont tell you does not mean that they dont know what they are looking for. I know that sometimes it is difficult for some of us to wrap our minds around matters like this, but then that is no fault of Americas or your parents who gave birth to you or even the school you attended. Your mind is as enlightened as you let it. Educated doesnt mean you have gone to the best schools, education means you have taken your mind to the far reaches of nature and all it has to offer and you have contemplated it unbiasedly. You have questionned it and not said ..no oooh our pastor or imam or our village witch say make we no ask that kain question. Question everything including the one your parents believed in before you were born.

Curiosity is a great mile stone for humanity once again...if you dont want to celebrate it...never mind it doesnt matter, it will do what is meant to do and those who will benefit will benefit wheather you believe it or not. You are shouting about going to Mars, do you know the plans are on ground to leap even further. you can not limit the human race to this small earth, it is bound to happen ...there is nothing we(believers or nonbelievers) can do about it.

1 Like

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by lynxpro(m): 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2012
shymmex:

Na your money them take go?! Why you come dey vex!
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2012
Iskra: NLanders shouldnt always be quick to jump on the Band wagon of ignorance...when you dont know, the primary thing to do is try to at least learn. I would want to speak generally about space exploration and its benefits. First of all, why do we even need to explore. you could pose a similar but closer to home question like, why do you have to leave your home at all. why not be given birth to, grow all your food, get all your resources under the same roof. already you are reading me describe an utter absurdity and practical impossibility. We explore because our needs can only be met from us going out to search. By nature, man(I mean every right thinking man)is a being of curiosity(very interesting because coincidentally this is the same name given to the Mars rover), and this curiosity may take different forms (hopefully it is driven by the right type of goals). Space exploration has not only been beneficial to man but it has accelerated by leaps and bounds the current development found on earth. From the way we communicate(GPS,phones, internet TV(even thought TV make us more dumb when all we watch is rubbish)) to the materials we have today available for building our houses, making our tools and equipment, cars etc. If these benefits have not reached you in one form or another, then you definitely must be living out of planet earth. Space exploration leads to products which are called spin-offs...and it is these spin-offs that power a lot of companies...because the main space agencies which do real research licence commercial partners to produce items from technologies they(space agencies) have incubated and mastered.

Most of the inventions you mentioned were championed by DOD( DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE aka PENTAGON) just to be on par with the Russians because of the ensuing Cold War in the 60's.

We are entering a New phase of 21century cold war which includes cyber war. This time, it could be fought with laser weapons as you see in Star Wars. It is no coincidence that countries like China, India, Iran and so on are gearing up on planetary missons.

I smell Arms race all over this. If you think this folks care about advancing for the sake of humanity with this project, you must be really deluded. In their minds, you do not exist.

This is why you have to start thinking to do things for yourself instead of praising people that would use the same Technology to Enslave you tomorrow.

Bunch of weirods. Imao.
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by shymex(m): 6:21pm On Aug 06, 2012
centje:
Like i said earlier, some science researches dnt hv a clear immediate benefits. Definitely there r reasons why they hv kept their eye on d mars. Of wch no one can, confidently and wit assurance,state its benefits to humanity. And even their aim of d research might change dependin on d data they receive frm 'curiosity'. Philosophy existed b4 pure science. Philosophy waz based of assumption and extension of existin knowledge witout systematic approach.

I understand your point, but my point is based on the ripple effects of this type of approach. I used used to be a 'science' enthusiast through secondary school and university years - and my level of consciousness has increased... And if you do some logical thinking, you would know that this approach isn't worth the downsides... Yes, we sent mankind to the moon - but after that, our planet became more polluted with depleted uranium, hence, the alarming increase in cancer victims..

Why can't we try the approach of the ancient men who had more knowledge than we've got today - while still protecting the planet? The dogon sacred science knew about the sirius stars thousands of year before 'modern science' discovered them 3 years ago... And we had to deplete the ozone layer further just to achieve this discovery..

And why did you think the European space programme was cancelled? This is all about arms race - and Africa is being sidelined again... Hey, I don't envy them - I just feel sorry for mama Africa..

1 Like

Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by shymex(m): 6:25pm On Aug 06, 2012
lynxpro:

Na your money them take go?! Why you come dey vex!

Yeah, it's my MONEY!! The more they get broke - the more the resources in Africa feel the brunt...

It's a 360 thing - but most of you can't see beyond your nose... undecided

The middle-east is already feeling the heat - and Libya is a done deal, Nigeria is somewhere on the queue..

360 ripple effect!!
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by locdog(m): 6:25pm On Aug 06, 2012
Nebeuwa: I can't believe that so many ignorant people have posted on this thread. And they wonder why other groups of people, consider Africa as backwards.

Learn to appreciate the scientific leaps that are happening around the world. You are benefiting from these scientific achievements, by the mere fact that you are able write any words on Nairaland.
ignorance is one d disease killin naija, I doubt if Gej can operate a laptop!!!
Re: NASA Spacecraft "Curiosity" Lands On Mars. Returns Photos Of Martian Landscape. by shymex(m): 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2012
Myopic people will call the illuminated ones ignorant just because they can't think logically smh...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Bomb-Detonating Robot, Tracking Device / Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers / Nigeria Will Experience A Lunar Eclipse On Monday, January 21, 2019 - NASRDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.