Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41387 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2012
You hear a lot these days - and you keep wondering how our bros and sis in the diaspora cope. Abeg, this no be thread for uncultured language, uncultured statements etc. This is so others can learn from your experience out there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by spyder880(m): 10:37pm On Aug 06, 2012
travel section, abi?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by member58: 10:46pm On Aug 06, 2012
oma easy vbe germany.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by CyberG: 11:17pm On Aug 06, 2012
werepeLeri: You hear a lot these days - and you keep wondering how our bros and sis in the diaspora cope. Abeg, this no be thread for uncultured language, uncultured statements etc. This is so others can learn from your experience out there.

Much better than a system run by retardeen Goatlock for sure and whose shaite is licked by lapdogs like the OP. In a system that works, not chaotic like odechukwu's Nigeria, you will not cope you will actually excel without any connections or boyboyism. Get an education, work as hard and smart as you can in whatever you do, you will be able to afford and have everything you need and get even the things you want while keeping your dignity and humanity. You will not have or need millions of dollars in your account like sellouts like the OP who help to rip off the patrimony of their fatherland to feather their individual nests but you will have enough and more depending on your talent, hard work, dedication and focus.

You will have good roads to drive almost everywhere you turn, healthcare that will take care of the smallest injury to the most life threatening ones without needing to travel to another country, buy or rent a good house / apartment, buy a very good car, take trains or buses, never have to worry that someone might bomb you and your leaders will do nothing but brag, get the latest electronics, travel to any part of the planet without needing to die at the embassy applying for visa, if you lose your job you never need to be an eye-servicer like OP to survive because your employment insurance benefits kick in for several months, enough to find another job, you can wake-up everyday and have peace and a clear conscience not those seared with hot irons like that in an environment where the quality of life is determined by how many billions you have looted of the country's wealth. All these you can do without carrying a credit card debt and be in control of your life. You will not need USELESS PRAYERS for NEPA to bring light, or BH or defend a good for nothing foolishe leader like Badluck Jonathan in order to get your own share of his N 1 B cassava bread handout! This is the real meaning of wealth and a good life not primitive acquisition!

55 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 06, 2012
It is not rosy in this US economy o! The economy is very bad coupled with the illegal immigrant issues. Mexicans are more liable to get a good job before an African, even if they are illegal.

It isn't rosy at all o.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dasparrow: 12:00am On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri: You hear a lot these days - and you keep wondering how our bros and sis in the diaspora cope. Abeg, this no be thread for uncultured language, uncultured statements etc. This is so others can learn from your experience out there.

No place in this world is 'rosy' anymore especially since the global economic recession begun. You should know this since nothing goes on in any part of the world nowadays that does not get reported by news agencies and posted on the internet. Thanks to technology, news now travels at lightening speed and if you have access to the internet, news articles are out there for you to access.

Many diaspora Nigerians may not tell you the truth about life abroad because they want to foam big boy/big girl each time they land Nigeria. You know many of our people are too proud for their own good sometimes. The truth is, times are hard now. I recall back in the day when I will open the newspaper here in america and job vacancies were on several pages. You could start your job hunt like monday and by friday you already landed a job. The wages being offered by potential employers were competitive and there was job stability.

But then came 9-11 and the american economy began to take a nose dive. America went to war with Iraq and misled the world into believing Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. American companies became greedy and realized that they could make more money if they have their products manufactured in china and other Asian countries rather than in their home country of USA. So american jobs were shipped abroad en masse. Other employers began to lay off people in unprecedented measures while others slashed wages.

Many small businesses atleast in my city on the west coast began to fold up and the locals (citizens)over the years have become bitter and hostile towards each other and towards foreigners living in their country. The other day a friend of mine from New York called because she is looking to go back to work after taking a year off to have her baby. She lamented that the wages alot of employers are now offering is too little and I told her yes, that is the way it is now. You see many people here in america are now working 2 or more jobs just to make ends meet and I read online that more american college/University graduates postpone starting a family because they are buried in student loan debts. See the link to that world street journal news article here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304818404577350030559887086.html

Anyways, to cut a long story short, we abroad cope by God's Grace. Those in the medical field are still making a decent wage because their profession is in demand. However, with a competitive salary also comes alot of taxes to pay. Often times, you make the money but you don't see it. Uncle sam (nickname for the internal revenue service) still takes a huge chunk.

I still think that at the end of the day, with hard work and sheer determination and God on your side, you may still make it in life faster in Nigeria if you understand the system and how things work back home. However if mortgage debt, credit card debt, possible car loan debt, living paycheck to paycheck, enduring condescending and rascist remarks from westerners, working your fingers to the bone year round with only 2 weeks vacation for the whole year and not being able to take time off from work easily when the need arises is for you, then you are most welcome to join us here.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dasparrow: 12:01am On Aug 07, 2012
pDude: It is not rosy in this US economy o! The economy is very bad coupled with the illegal immigrant issues. Mexicans are more liable to get a good job before an African, even if they are illegal.

It isn't rosy at all o.

Thanks for telling the truth.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by LFJ: 12:06am On Aug 07, 2012
pDude: It is not rosy in this US economy o! The economy is very bad coupled with the illegal immigrant issues. Mexicans are more liable to get a good job before an African, even if they are illegal.

It isn't rosy at all o.

I think Economy is getting better; the worst was between 2008 and 2011. There is no part of the world that things are automatic. Things may not be rosy, but it is not too bad especially for the legal immigrant.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 07, 2012
dasparrow:

Thanks for telling the truth.

Ur welcome bruv smiley
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 07, 2012
LFJ:

I think Economy is getting better; the worst was between 2008 and 2011. There is no part of the world that things are automatic. Things may not be rosy, but it is not too bad especially for the legal immigrant.

Hmmmm. I'm not too sure about that o, considering a nearby city: San Bernadino just filed for bankrupcy. Also being black and African isn't really working for us sometimes. Let me give you an example. Some weeks ago, I got called for an interview for a pharmaceutical company. The person that called me was the recruiter in Ohio. He referred me to the California office and told me to meet with 3 people. All 3 people had Latin American names. As soon as I reported to the office, the main question I was asked was, "are you Joseph?" Well, I finished my interview and as I was on my way out, a Mexican looking guy was in the waiting room. I said hi to him and asked if he was Joseph. He said yes. Needless to say, I got a mail the next day telling me that I didn't get the job.

It seemed that those Mexican recruiters had already planned to take the Joseph guy even before they had met us maybe because he had a Mexican name. Well, why would the interviewer ask me if my name was Joseph first before interviewing me?

US nor easy but as a hustling Nigerian who has gone through thick and thin, I believe you can make it if you put your mind to it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 12:30am On Aug 07, 2012
Joseph is a mexican name?? grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: Joseph is a mexican name?? grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

cheesy
Don't be silly. He must have had a Mexican last name like Perez or Santiago.

Eg. Joseph Perez or Joseph Santiago.

I knew someone was gonna ask that question. grin

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 12:34am On Aug 07, 2012
OH! now we assume it was the lastname . . not the first name Joseph. grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: OH! now we assume it was the lastname . . not the first name Joseph. grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Of course they don't address you by your last name here. Joseph was his first name.

Anyways I'm just assuming because the interview went very well for me and I talked all the talk wey I get for mouth but I wasnt given the job. E go be sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 12:49am On Aug 07, 2012
Yankee isn't easy o. Don't mind any person who comes to Nigeria from abroad and would be flexing or be riding big jeep and pasting the pix on Facebook. Most of those people are in serious debt and the car they are posing with hasn't been fully paid for. Over here, Nigerians use a common phrase, "keep up the appearance". Nigerians keep up the appearance a lot over here. The economy is shyt, you are treated like shyt by these gringos. The country is basically shyt at the moment.

As for those that still wanna come, welcome. Just get ready to work your azz to the bone and loneliness cos nobody here go send you.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by LFJ: 12:57am On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Hmmmm. I'm not too sure about that o, considering a nearby city: San Bernadino just filed for bankrupcy. Also being black and African isn't really working for us sometimes. Let me give you an example. Some weeks ago, I got called for an interview for a pharmaceutical company. The person that called me was the recruiter in Ohio. He referred me to the California office and told me to meet with 3 people. All 3 people had Latin American names. As soon as I reported to the office, the main question I was asked was, "are you Joseph?" Well, I finished my interview and as I was on my way out, a Mexican looking guy was in the waiting room. I said hi to him and asked if he was Joseph. He said yes. Needless to say, I got a mail the next day telling me that I didn't get the job.

It seemed that those Mexican recruiters had already planned to take the Joseph guy even before they had met us maybe because he had a Mexican name. Well, why would the interviewer ask me if my name was Joseph first before interviewing me?

US nor easy but as a hustling Nigerian who has gone through thick and thin, I believe you can make it if you put your mind to it.

I believe at the right time your luck too will smile. When you have opportunity for interview, let us remember that, that is just a step, many people will be invited and mostly one luckiest person will be selected. What I noticed from most of our brothers and sisters is that we prefer short cut. If you rely on your Nigeria certificate to gain a professional job in US, it may not be easy because most of the recruiters or employers of labor don't trust our certificate. There is no doubt that the initial stage is always tough, but if you can try and forget who you are back home and face the reality in your new home the sky is the limit.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by FSU: 1:03am On Aug 07, 2012
This is a timely thread. My relative from Naija with whom I have not been in touch for more than 10 years suddenly gets hold of my phone numbers and is asking for N900K ($5700-6000) just like that. Abi dem dey pluck the money for tree or pick am for road? grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 1:16am On Aug 07, 2012
If you look in the colleges and institutions, you will find many Americans have gone back to school to get a new degree or upgrade their skills. Any Nigerian out here who has not been able to find a job should look into programs and schools where they can acquire a new skill or upgrade their existing skills to compete better for the limited jobs.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 1:18am On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: If you look in the colleges and institutions, you will find many Americans have gone back to school to get a new degree or upgrade their skills. Any Nigerian out here who has not been able to find a job should look into programs and schools where they can acquire a new skill or upgrade their existing skills to compete better for the limited jobs.

True that bruv. I am presently doing that cos this Nigerian degree wey I hold nor make sense for here at all o. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Murphy7h4: 1:35am On Aug 07, 2012
It's a beauty!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by abdulkayus(m): 8:18am On Aug 07, 2012
Moderator, front page pls so dat nigerian dat are eager to go abroad will learn some one or two tins
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2012

First thing I thought too.

SMH At these hilarious tales.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ebamma(m): 1:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
no matter how hard life may be for nigerians abroad,the will not love to return to nigeria because its worse down here,from epileptic power supply,bad roads,corruption to now terrorism.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

cheesy
Don't be silly. He must have had a Mexican last name like Perez or Santiago.

Eg. Joseph Perez or Joseph Santiago.

I knew someone was gonna ask that question. grin

Riiiiiggghhhht. . . . Joseph Santiago. . . Because, Jesus, Jose, Javier and Juan have mysteriously disappeared from Spanish Lexicon

Y'all with these obviously tall tales. . . . damn!

smh
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ebamma(m): 1:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
kobojunkie is a brazilian name

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 1:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

This is really sad. It seems it's not only in Nigeria that one's ethnicity is considered before landing a job.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Dawdy(m): 1:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
It is not easy! It is not easy! Yet u people remain there, obviously It is easier there than In nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
The best way to make a killing in America or any foreign country is through self employment.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by room702(m): 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
its not easy anywhere but from the News coming from family and friends in Nigeria it seems the country is spiraling downwards. We blame the government but its really the people that need to act fast. God help us.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deshclones(m): 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
ebamma: no matter how hard life may be for nigerians abroad,the will not love to return to nigeria because its worse down here,from epileptic power supply,bad roads,corruption to now terrorism.

you always spew rubbish like a ph00l man....so its only naija that has infrastructural challenges??smh at the person that had the misfortune of birthing you...

98% of nigerians based abroad esp u.k are ashamed to return home.the shame of coming back empty handed and seeing your mates that you left back in nigeria doing exceptionally well is dehumanizing.

life abroad is hard....very hard..its a pity that most nigerians especially those in rural areas think that once you touchdown at jfk or heath-row you start picking money...most nigerians abroad are doing silly jobs that they would never have done if they were here...its crazy..so many of them work in serious enslaving conditions plus the huge tax and bills one pays abroad...naija is a good country if one has a means of livelihood...anybody that earns 150k and above a month in this country is comfortable..we are happy here..abroad is over hyped jor...dudes there are seeing serious things...desh doesn't envy them one bit.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ektbear: 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
Depends on a lot of factors. Whether you have legal status, whether you are in school, etc, etc. Hard to generalize.

But if one has to generalize, some places abroad can be pretty pleasant and rewarding.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
Dawdy: It is not easy! It is not easy! Yet u people remain there, obviously It is easier there than In nigeria.
The truth is that hardwork and talent pays in that part of the world than in Nigeria.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

10 Reasons Nigerian Immigrants Would Enjoy Canada / Lagosians Use Faeces To Put Out Fire On Road, Poo Truck Explodes (Video) / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.