Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41348 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Finland(m): 1:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
The truth is no matter where you are there will always be people not happy with what they have. Different people with different approach to life. Here in Finland I am very ok. In fact I got married few weeks ago and I am happy but there are people here that are yet to buy a car , squatting with friends as no house of there own and talk-less of getting married.So, it goes like that all over the world. There are people living life at its fullest there in Nigeria and there are people suffering. So it's all depends on God's favor I believe.There will always be poor in this world no matter where. As the topic did not say we are comparing Nigeria with where we are so I will speak no further.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 07, 2012

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 1:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
It depends what you define as rosy. Will you have the basic things of life, bottom line, YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD TO GET IT. Looking for a job in this tough economy is somewhat DIFFICULT. In all, at the moment, rosiness has gone a lil sour for us, nevertheless, you got to do what you u got to do.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 1:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
@op

Different countries different opportunities. It is never easy in another man's country as you often have to work twice as hard to get paid equally or less than the indigenous folks.
Most advanced western English-speaking countries are often not that bad as compared to Nigeria or other countries. Countries like Greece, Spain, Portugal are becoming increasingly xenophobic as their economic situation begins to take toll on the social structures and environment. As with any society, when things begin to go wrong the 'foreigners' are often the first Scape-goats to be pointed out. This has happened through-out history.

The EU countries still fair better as compared to middle-eastern, Asiatic or eastern bloc countries in terms opportunities, acceptance and discrimination. This is often due to the democratic and educational background of majority of their respective population. Integration and multi-cultural exposure of certain countries play a part on how successful an immigrant can aspire to be in that social structire

In some countries, foriegners often classed as lower-classes often fair better than middle-classes in African countries. Basic amenities such as good electricity, security, affordable healthcare good road, adequate transportation, easy affordable cable/ internet subscription often give these perceived 'lower classes' much more life value than the perceived 'middle-classes' where these basic amenities are limited or nonexistent.

The OP's question is quite legitimate and judging by the global crisis, I would assume not as much depending on the foreigners circumstances. However, one must factor one crucial and important puzzle as well in the spirit of objectivity; Is it still rosy at home?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by gadgetdeal(m): 1:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
In as much as the us economy is not what it used to be several years ago, i think depending on where on the economic food chain you are in, it could be a good time, personally for me being on the business and supply side of the equations, this are great times that being said being on the demand side (EMPLOYEE) it is rough for a lot of people. Another important fact that needs to be noted is that a lot of people overstretched themselves with credit and are getting burnt now. So i will really say there are still mad opportunities here but you have to dig and find it, as it shall not be handed to you.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Rhino5dm: 2:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
coming from someone that only sees abroad on movies? undecided Dude, this thread is for people living abroad or have lived abroad and not some local chimp that haven't moved passed the local wing of MMA.

why don't you start by telling us how to live in Aba or Onitsha, chimpy?

Now get da hell outta hia!!!.

afam4eva: The best way to make a killing in America or any foreign country is through self employment.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by noblegas2(m): 2:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
dare2think: @op

Different countries different opportunities. It is never easy in another man's country as you often have to work twice as hard to get paid equally or less than the indigenous folks.
Most advanced western English-speaking countries are often not that bad as compared to Nigeria or other countries. Countries like Greece, Spain, Portugal
are becoming increasingly xenophobic as their economic situation begins to take toll on the social structures and environment. As with any society, when
things begin to go wrong the 'foreigners' are often the first Scape-goats to be pointed out. This has happened through-out history.

The EU countries still fair better as compared to middle-eastern, Asiatic or eastern bloc countries in terms opportunities, acceptance and discrimination. This is often due to the democratic and educational background of majority of their respective population. Integration and multi-cultural exposure of certain countries play a part on how successful an immigrant can aspire to be in that social structire

In some countries, foriegners often classed as lower-classes often fair better than middle-classes in African countries. Basic amenities such as good electricity, security, affordable healthcare good road, adequate transportation, easy affordable cable/ internet subscription often give these perceived 'lower classes' much more life value than the perceived 'middle-classes' where these basic amenities are limited or nonexistent.

The OP's question is quite legitimate and judging by the global crisis, I would assume not as much depending on the foreigners circumstances. However, one must factor one crucial and important puzzle as well in the spirit of objectivity; Is it still rosy at home?

Have you ever been/Lived or worked in the middle east
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ebariba: 2:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
I don't know about rosy but for me, and given my personal goals, I'd like to think I'm comfortable. Now, comfortable means different things to different people.

'Doing well' in life, no matter what that means to you, is more of an inherent trait.

If your are hardworking and resilient, you will be alright, your location regardless.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On Aug 07, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
coming from someone that only sees abroad on movies? undecided Dude, this thread is for people living abroad or have lived abroad and not some local chimp that haven't moved passed the local wing of MMA.

why don't you start by telling us how to live in Aba or Onitsha, chimpy?

Now get da hell outta hia!!!.
I don't know where i claimed to have lived abroad. Who's dragging abroad with you. You must think it's every tom, d1ck and chukwuma that wants to run away for greener pastures abroad. I guess it's that slave mentality in you that makes you think people abroad are any better than those in Nigeria. What a DUNCE.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Rhino5dm: 2:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
You mind telling us how you managed to relocate to Lagos from Aba? shocked was it through night bus or via cross country? LWKMD!!

Stop commenting on issues you have no clue of.

Now, walk along you local chimp!!!!

afam4eva:
I don't know where i claimed to have lived abroad. Who's dragging abroad with you. You must think it's every tom, d1ck and chukwuma that wants to run away for greener pastures abroad. I guess it's that slave mentality in you that makes you think people abroad are any better than those in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 2:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
noble_gas1:

Have you ever been/Lived or worked in the middle east

No, why?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
You mind telling us how you managed to relocate to Lagos from Aba? shocked was it through night bus or via cross country? LWKMD!!

Stop commenting on issues you have no clue of.

Now, walk along you local chimp!!!!
Dude, don't you have some dead bodies to wash somewhere?? Stop following me around. I'm not Gay.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Basildon1(m): 2:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
It is rosy everywhere depending on your job and how you plan your life. My contract expires in a few weeks. I applied for 5 jobs last night , two have called me this morning.

On the other side, i have my friend who started a laundry business three years ago in Nigeria. He has more clients than he can handle now and he lives fine right now.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by mylunch: 2:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
ebamma: no matter how hard life may be for nigerians abroad,the will not love to return to nigeria because its worse down here,from epileptic power supply,bad roads,corruption to now terrorism.
U hv a misguided believe,i reside here in europe,with absolute certainty,life is tough here.Aside lack of jobs,ur wages are lesser than your bills.Yes good roads and all of that,but u pay through ur nose for it.As soon as am done with my masters,am headed home,i can't wait to leave here.I hv couple of friends and relatives in d UK,they sob daily,what is d reason for this?life is tough.Most times they ask for loan from me,and d answer to this request is obvious,i don't have enough to spare.Am aware of d power failure,so what i have in mind is to come along with a moderate solar to power me 24hours,nigeria is blessed wt plenty of sun light,so i would use this to my advantage.Is better back home,i know what am talking about.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ektbear: 2:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Btw, as much as some might use a thread like this as an opportunity to bash Nigeria, my sister has found Nigeria better for her career than the US.

She worked for a few years at a mediocre, unknown accounting firm in the US. But now has a job with a much better firm in Nigeria.

So I think the important thing is to be open to opportunities anywhere in the world, rather than to rule anything out.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by freecocoa(f): 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
Yeah we are doing quite well here in SEME border,atleast orkrika business still dey move undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by semid4lyfe(m): 2:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Hmmmm. I'm not too sure about that o, considering a nearby city: San Bernadino just filed for bankrupcy. Also being black and African isn't really working for us sometimes. Let me give you an example. Some weeks ago, I got called for an interview for a pharmaceutical company.

You applied for a job in a pharmaceutical company. . . .I thought you were a medical doctor abi na surgeon? undecided
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Rhino5dm: 2:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
which is better, washing dead bodies or sending scamming mails out and waiting for potential victims? those guys you tried to demean are earning their living legitimately while you on the other hand wait for emails from potential donors to swindle. What you are doing is called ADVANCED FEE FRAUD aka. yahoo yahoo.!!!

Besides, I have never lived abroad more than 6 months in a stretch. I made my money here in naija cool.

Still waiting for your adventure from Aba to Lagos. LWKMD!!!

afam4eva:
Dude, don't you have some dead bodies to wash somewhere?? Stop following me around. I'm not Gay.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by obi123: 2:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
well to God be the glory, i will not be one of those people who will never say things are good for them just because everyone is saying that its hard .
Life has never been better in the UK for me, i have worked hard , paid my dues and now by the grace of God i'm able to sit back and relax.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ovo4u(m): 2:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
CyberG:

Much better than a system run by retardeen Goatlock for sure and whose shaite is licked by lapdogs like the OP. In a system that works, not chaotic like odechukwu's Nigeria, you will not cope you will actually excel without any connections or boyboyism. Get an education, work as hard and smart as you can in whatever you do, you will be able to afford and have everything you need and get even the things you want while keeping your dignity and humanity. You will not have or need millions of dollars in your account like sellouts like the OP who help to rip off the patrimony of their fatherland to feather their individual nests but you will have enough and more depending on your talent, hard work, dedication and focus.

You will have good roads to drive almost everywhere you turn, healthcare that will take care of the smallest injury to the most life threatening ones without needing to travel to another country, buy or rent a good house / apartment, buy a very good car, take trains or buses, never have to worry that someone might bomb you and your leaders will do nothing but brag, get the latest electronics, travel to any part of the planet without needing to die at the embassy applying for visa, if you lose your job you never need to be an eye-servicer like OP to survive because your employment insurance benefits kick in for several months, enough to find another job, you can wake-up everyday and have peace and a clear conscience not those seared with hot irons like that in an environment where the quality of life is determined by how many billions you have looted of the country's wealth. All these you can do without carrying a credit card debt and be in control of your life. You will not need USELESS PRAYERS for NEPA to bring light, or BH or defend a good for nothing foolishe leader like Badluck Jonathan in order to get your own share of his N 1 B cassava bread handout! This is the real meaning of wealth and a good life not primitive acquisition!

Bro.. You are so right on point but what about the bad side? like racism, looking for work as a black man or a house? am in Germany and I know what am saying, most of them hate black so much

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
which is better, washing dead bodies or sending scamming mails out and waiting for potential victims? those guys you tried to demean are earning their living legitimately while you on the other hand wait for emails from potential donors to swindle. What you are doing is called ADVANCED FEE FRAUD aka. yahoo yahoo.!!!

Besides, I have never lived abroad more than 6 months in a stretch. I made my money here in naija cool.

Still waiting for your adventure from Aba to Lagos. LWKMD!!!

You made your money in Nigeria doing what exactly. Thief. With your reasoning faculty, i doubt if you can make a penny doing anything legal. You sound like a fraudster to me. What fraud sector are you into?? sending bulk emails to suspecting victims or the conventional 419? Or are you just a pick pocket?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by bashr8: 2:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
i think nigeria is still better ,at least for me. dont really like the condition of most people living abroad especially u.k and rest of europe. i still tell some of them t come back home , with between 100-500thousand naira(almost price of flight ticket to some countries) and deicated hursle for at least 6 months you will get somewhere in nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by inspirenet: 2:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
CyberG:

Much better than a system run by retardeen Goatlock for sure and whose shaite is licked by lapdogs like the OP. In a system that works, not chaotic like odechukwu's Nigeria, you will not cope you will actually excel without any connections or boyboyism. Get an education, work as hard and smart as you can in whatever you do, you will be able to afford and have everything you need and get even the things you want while keeping your dignity and humanity. You will not have or need millions of dollars in your account like sellouts like the OP who help to rip off the patrimony of their fatherland to feather their individual nests but you will have enough and more depending on your talent, hard work, dedication and focus.

You will have good roads to drive almost everywhere you turn, healthcare that will take care of the smallest injury to the most life threatening ones without needing to travel to another country, buy or rent a good house / apartment, buy a very good car, take trains or buses, never have to worry that someone might bomb you and your leaders will do nothing but brag, get the latest electronics, travel to any part of the planet without needing to die at the embassy applying for visa, if you lose your job you never need to be an eye-servicer like OP to survive because your employment insurance benefits kick in for several months, enough to find another job, you can wake-up everyday and have peace and a clear conscience not those seared with hot irons like that in an environment where the quality of life is determined by how many billions you have looted of the country's wealth. All these you can do without carrying a credit card debt and be in control of your life. You will not need USELESS PRAYERS for NEPA to bring light, or BH or defend a good for nothing foolishe leader like Badluck Jonathan in order to get your own share of his N 1 B cassava bread handout! This is the real meaning of wealth and a good life not primitive acquisition!

smiley
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by love4ual: 2:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
my advice for any one coming to america who is still below 25yrs of age is to go and study nursing whether male or female....................as a guy it was not easy for me to agree to study nursing but i decided to abandon my 300 level course at nnamdi azikiwe university to study nursing.....................the future looks brighter for me than ever.......

i will have my liscence sometime this yr .....but i am already doing fine in the health sector..................

with nursing you will have ur papers quickly.............the demand is so high that there is so much shortage in the major cities of the us........new york, california and texas......

being a nurse you can come to the united states quickly because you do not need labor certification..............they do not look at experience sometimes or where you are coming from or even legal status because there is so much shortage in the industry.................infact most of the philippines and indian nurses who work here in houston cannot even speak english properly and yet the are employed making about $5,000 or more monthly............................my sister works double shift and so makes about $9,800 monthly.......................

nursing certificate is the only certificate that is recognized in the usa irregardless of the country you are coming from.............most nursing agencies will pay for your accomodation, car and board exam....................once you pass and start working you will re-imburse them back.........

any other degree from nigeria is rubbish......

most nigerians in the us are not properly informed about the health sector in the us even though they know nurses are on top.........................some of the jobs are also dirty but when you see dollars your eye go open and you can do just anything...........

while some people are still going through tough times in the us....there future is much brighter if only they are exposed to the right information.............canada, the us and australia are very good........i will advice anybody not to travel to the uk.........is really tougher out there and my friends always tell me that we are the very lucky ones to have been in the states.........

pls forget other degree certificates from home........because it will never be recognized abroad..........
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deleo16(m): 2:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 07, 2012
dare2think: @op

Is it still rosy at home?
Was it ever rosy at home except in the 70's? It isn't rosy anywhere but the greatest challange in living abroad is the high bills that comes every mnth. Take away tax and bills and one will need to struggle with the little left. The economy thrives on credit but one has to be carefull or credit might become one's downfall. The world is so fuccking tough now but i still think it's easier to cope in nigeria if u have a decent job. As for infrastructure, abroad takes it.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chucky234(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
kingoflag:

Riiiiiggghhhht. . . . Joseph Santiago. . . Because, Jesus, Jose, Javier and Juan have mysteriously disappeared from Spanish Lexicon

Y'all with these obviously tall tales. . . . damn!

smh
Guess you live under Mount Everest,is Joseph a Biafran name? What can you say about the many Mexican who bears Luis,guy park Jare.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ocelot2006(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
mylunch: U hv a misguided believe,i reside here in europe,with absolute certainty,life is tough here.Aside lack of jobs,ur wages are lesser than your bills.Yes good roads and all of that,but u pay through ur nose for it.As soon as am done with my masters,am headed home,i can't wait to leave here.I hv couple of friends and relatives in d UK,they sob daily,what is d reason for this?life is tough.Most times they ask for loan from me,and d answer to this request is obvious,i don't have enough to spare.Am aware of d power failure,so what i have in mind is to come along with a moderate solar to power me 24hours,nigeria is blessed wt plenty of sun light,so i would use this to my advantage.Is better back home,i know what am talking about.

SO TRUE, MY BROTHER. Back in the UK I had a number of friends with Masters degrees who worked menial jobs from hospital porters to aides in healthcare homes. Forget all the talk about great roads, light, etc, cos Life there truly sucked big time. In my own case I left the Queen's own country less than a week after I completed my Masters degree. That, my friend, was the VERY BEST decision I've ever made cos I'm now way better than a lot of collegues I left behind.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chucky234(m): 2:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva:
You made your money in Nigeria doing what exactly. Thief. With your reasoning faculty, i doubt if you can make a penny doing anything legal. You sound like a fraudster to me. What fraud sector are you into?? sending bulk emails to suspecting victims or the conventional 419? Or are you just a pick pocket?
He pick-pockets along Oshodi-Apapa Expressway
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by andre99(m): 2:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
Walahi no place like home, I stay in Colardo not too far from the cinema where the Dark knight shooting incident happened, we are afraid because another incident happened in Winconsin temple, walahi I want to leave Usa for Canada, problem too dey here, it is just the beginning of the shooting spree here in USA. Don't come here o! A lot people have access to gun and can pull the trigger anytime on you.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 2:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
andre99: Walahi no place like home, I stay in Colardo not too far from the cinema where the Dark knight shooting incident happened, we are afraid because another incident happened in Winconsin temple, walahi I want to leave Usa for Canada, problem too dey here, it is just the beginning of the shooting spree here in USA. Don't come here o! A lot people have access to gun and can pull the trigger anytime on you.
You see , that's what scares me the most about the US. In Nigeria i can exchange words with an Agbero in oshodi bustop because i know there's not much he can do but over there, you don't know what they have in their pockets.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Drunk Driver Urinates On Himself, Dozes Off After Car Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Man Found Barely Alive In Landing Gear Of Algeria Flight To Paris / Man Reveals How he Fooled His Neigbors, Left his Properties & Ran Out Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.