Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41388 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 4:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Manny4life , Mehn let me just tell you, there r some lkind of job u will have in Nigeria, u wont remember hardship let alone running away, im not talking of political works

LOL, I know bro, I know someone can live a good life in Nigeria, because all my cousins who relocated back home are good witnesses to that. Even my siblings and I have same long term goals as well, I'm gradually getting tired of staying here. You make so much expense yet income stays the same way, anyway, i just wanted to clarify that someone's job doesn't determine what kind of citizens they are except if you're talking about social class, then YES, but if it's racial class, that's different.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Rhino5dm: 4:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
what head way are you making? creating a forum for the sole aim of harvesting vital info of your forumites and channeling it in to wire fraudsundecided.

I pity any person that will submit his email address on that forum, only to be wanted by interpol.

afam4eva:
Since you can't make a headway in your life, i guess the best thing for you to do is to try to take as many people down with you. I aint going down with you. is it by force? Your life must be a more hopeless than hopeless because you've tried your hands at everything even 419, kidnapping and pick pocketing but nothing is working for you. Duse, just kill yourself and pray and satan accepts you into his kingdom.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ichidodo: 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva:
Dude, don't you have some dead bodies to wash somewhere?? Stop following me around. I'm not Gay.
yee! oga easy nah? u wan finish d man?!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ola4yinka(m): 4:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
Finland: The truth is no matter where you are there will always be people not happy with what they have. Different people with different approach to life. Here in Finland I am very ok. In fact I got married few weeks ago and I am happy but there are people here that are yet to buy a car , squatting with friends as no house of there own and talk-less of getting married.So, it goes like that all over the world. There are people living life at its fullest there in Nigeria and there are people suffering. So it's all depends on God's favor I believe.There will always be poor in this world no matter where. As the topic did not say we are comparing Nigeria with where we are so I will speak no further.
This is the best reply I've read so far !
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

The bold part caught my eyes, what kind of jobs do 23-25yr old have that they pay off their mortgage with none left? I need precise answers becos that don't sound right. Please explain further...

Manny tell me what you do then i will classify you, 2nd or 3rd class grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by 2sexy(m): 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

cheesy
Don't be silly. He must have had a Mexican last name like Perez or Santiago.

Eg. Joseph Perez or Joseph Santiago.

I knew someone was gonna ask that question. grin
u neva c ova saturated dumb skull. Imagine if it were an aptitude test na so d fail go easy na.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Manny tell me what you do then i will classify you, 2nd or 3rd class grin

LOL... Chei, not even the option for the 1st, wow, there's trouble o... grin grin grin

I do so many things but let's keep it simple, money/finance... grin grin grin

Ok now , rate me grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

I want good ratings though... grin grin grin

Nevertheless, i still wanna know how 23/25yr old pay down their mortgage, I want facts and figures (numbers), I can pull Excel sheet right away and know if it's doable based on what you said... grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ocelot2006(m): 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
latest: Gbam! No matter how hard they try to scare me, my visa is already on my palm i must take my trip soon.

No one's stopping you from travelling out. As a matter of fact, I'm fully in support. That way you'll get to experience everything firsthand. But don't say you weren't warned oh.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On Aug 07, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
what head way are you making? creating a forum for the sole aim of harvesting vital info of your forumites and channeling it in to wire fraudsundecided.

I pity any person that will submit his email address on that forum, only to be wanted by interpol.
Hmm, you must know this for sure because you were in that line of business. How's it possible to use someone's email address to wire money from the person's account. No wonder you failed as a fraudster. Your life is pitiful.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

LOL, I know bro, I know someone can live a good life in Nigeria, because all my cousins who relocated back home are good witnesses to that. Even my siblings and I have same long term goals as well, I'm gradually getting tired of staying here. You make so much expense yet income stays the same way, anyway, i just wanted to clarify that someone's job doesn't determine what kind of citizens they are except if you're talking about social class, then YES, but if it's racial class, that's different.

Noo, i am talking generally, as per a Nigerian to live in abroad there will always be discrimination coming from diff angles, thats my point
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by bjdon: 4:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
As some other posters have noted, it really depends on your skills, the country your in, and your legal status. Highly skilled, legal Nigerian's in the US and EU are mainly doing quite well. Let's try and avoid the 'Nigeria is better-Away is better' argument. Both places offer different things to different people, let's try and use meida like this as a source of good usefull information for those in Nigeira who want to come abroad and for those abroad thinking of going back home. if we are all well informed, it'll help avoid making mistakes and eventually people will settle in the place that best suits their talents and chracter.
Peace to one and all

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 4:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Noo, i am talking generally, as per a Nigerian to live in abroad there will always be discrimination coming from diff angles, thats my point

Ok, I see your point. I live a good life but let's face it, it can get TOUGH. Regardless of whether you're earning six or seven figures, it will always tell. It's one thing to live a good life, and can afford it and sustain it and be happy and it's another to live a "FALSE GOOD LIFE" which = awful life. In all, I love my life here but it's a lil hard though...
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by 2sexy(m): 4:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
Dawdy: It is not easy! It is not easy! Yet u people remain there, obviously It is easier there than In nigeria.
is that what you think?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Wallie(m): 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Life is rosy for some but bad for others. That's the case before now and will probably be the same in the future.

The only people that I know who are currently jobless are recent college graduates. The problem with seeking employment during an economic downturn is the fact that you're competing with people that have the same degree as you but also have years of experience.

Even with a B.Sc. in nursing, the coveted hospital positions are looking for people with over 1 year of experience. Without experience, a recent nursing graduate will be lucky to find a full-time Nursing Home job. In nursing homes, you don't develop your skills as much, the job is dirtier, and the pay is lower. The last thing you want as a recent graduate in any professional setting is to be in a position where you have no skill and in no position to develop any. That's why you would see someone with 10 years of experience that's unemployable because all he did for the 10 years was some mundane thing that anybody could do.

For those considering law school in the US, forget it! There’s an oversupply of legal graduates for fewer legal positions that are occupied or competed for by seasoned unemployed legal professionals. Save your $100k- $200k and do something else!

For those looking to an MBA as a way out, that will only be true if you go to a highly rated program and you have years of experience to back up your resume.

Like was said earlier, if you’re currently unemployed, go back to school and hope to weather out the storm.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by TinTin18(f): 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Arhie owa na...

#%&@:
oma easy vbe germany.. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

LOL... Chei, not even the option for the 1st, wow, there's trouble o... grin grin grin

I do so many things but let's keep it simple, money/finance... grin grin grin

Ok now , rate me grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

I want good ratings though... grin grin grin

Nevertheless, i still wanna know how 23/25yr old pay down their mortgage, I want facts and figures (numbers), I can pull Excel sheet right away and know if it's doable based on what you said... grin grin grin

grin grin grin, so your real name is money4life, anyway lets keep it low b4 Nl ladies rush u grin, for mortgage i dont know much, but any of my relation whom I have not seen for d last 10 yrs must have been chained my mortgage over there grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

Ok, I see your point. I live a good life but let's face it, it can get TOUGH. Regardless of whether you're earning six or seven figures, it will always tell. It's one thing to live a good life, and can afford it and sustain it and be happy and it's another to live a "FALSE GOOD LIFE" which = awful life. In all, I love my life here but it's a lil hard though...

enjoy men cool
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by mylunch: 4:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
ocelot2006:

SO TRUE, MY BROTHER. Back in the UK I had a number of friends with Masters degrees who worked menial jobs from hospital porters to aides in healthcare homes. Forget all the talk about great roads, light, etc, cos Life there truly sucked big time. In my own case I left the Queen's own country less than a week after I completed my Masters degree. That, my friend, was the VERY BEST decision I've ever made cos I'm now way better than a lot of collegues I left behind.
You must be very smart to do this.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

The bold part caught my eyes, what kind of jobs do 23-25yr old have that they pay off their mortgage with none left? I need precise answers becos that don't sound right. Please explain further...

It's absolutely right my guy. If you're in the industry you'll know what i'm talking about. MWD guys make between 120 -180 gees per annum depending on the company. Obviously the younger guys start at the lower end. Directional drillers make an average 800 bucks a day and they work an average of 20-25 days a month. You do the math.
With regards, 23-25yr olds, i'm not bluffing oo. Most of the companies now hire fresh college guys as Company Man in training (Drilling rig supervisor). Used to be reserved for guys that have worked from floorhands on the rig all the way up. This boys are banking big time. The average daily rate for these guys is from 1000 and above men. We talking black gold here son. Dont even let me get started with what us older guys are doing. Word of advice. If you have the opportunity to study engineering/petroleum engineering in the US, get your bum to houston,tx/lousiana/south texas/midlands,tx/north dakota and you wont regret your life.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chmod777: 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
The main reasons I still prefer developed world to Naija
-Better life due to
Transport infrastructure
Security and healthcare..... I can sleep with my dorrs open
Internet
Roads
Things are working right
Water supply and quality
Clean environment free from pollution and noise
quality assurance of food you buy
easy to travel to other places
THESE Make up possible better life and higher life expectancy for me.... Life is just Once

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by 2sexy(m): 4:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
coming from someone that only sees abroad on movies? undecided Dude, this thread is for people living abroad or have lived abroad and not some local chimp that haven't moved passed the local wing of MMA.

why don't you start by telling us how to live in Aba or Onitsha, chimpy?

Now get da hell outta hia!!!.

I didn't want to say anything till I read this. But mind you, whoever you work for owns the company and it his business. You are helping him build his business . Where is yours.

Being a business owner is the only way to guarantee financially security.

Bro, it is not easy to own a business either but if you have a long term goal, you will make it.

I have never left the shores of Nigeria, but I do know that owning and growing a business is the smartest, wisest and surest decision you will ever make in your life.

The problem we have is that this subject is not taught in school...

I will have to beg you or anyone to get this book : Rich Dad , Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. It will change your life for good. You will begin to see life, money and working from another angle. Please get that book and read it. I bet you wouldn't want to work for anyone, but yourself.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
why dis Rhino.5dm and afam4ev dey act like small childen sef? angry
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
ocelot2006:

The US of A.

At least you hear of the serial Killers in the USA. Think about it really. You hear of the shootings, and the serial killings because here, it is considered a big deal and people want to know(they are paranoid that way). In other countries, you might live next door to a child rapist and never know it.

So don't drive yourself into living paranoid when there is really no cause for alarm.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by somebody(f): 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
This topic has been dealt with so many times under several guises on this forum. And as we were taught in university, the answer to most questions is "IT DEPENDS". It depends on:

1. What kind of job you have
2. How much your salary is
3. How many dependants you have
4. How much debt you have incurred
5. How much savings you have

Around me, I see a mixture - very rosy for some and not so rosy for the others. When I ask those it isn't rosy for why they don't move back to Nigeria, the answer is still the same - it is worse in Nigeria. Before, having some sort of foreign degree was enough to get a reasonable job offer in Nigeria. But I hear it is not the case any more, some people move back home and are still jobhunting after a year or 2.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva:
You see , that's what scares me the most about the US. In Nigeria i can exchange words with an Agbero in oshodi bustop because i know there's not much he can do but over there, you don't know what they have in their pockets.

But dont you have to deal with highway robbers, kidnappers and Boko haram on a daily basis

In US you can start your car at 3am to enter a gas station to buy anything. In Nigeria if you dare go out beyond a certain time, you are on your own

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
Africans in the Diaspora need to look outside of social services and nursing a bit more. There are some states where Agricultural markets are booming and their is need for professionals in that area. There are so many other areas to plug oneself into. So we need to get away from this Taxi driver/CNA/LPN scope and try to see the many opportunities that abound. Granted limited but they are out there, and only those who are skilled and ready will get it.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by hrhobi1(m): 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
ANYTIME I VISIT UK I ALWAYS LOOSE WEIGHT WHEN I ARRIVE BACK NAIJA, MUMMSY , MY BABE, MY FRIENDS DON CONFIRM THIS ISSUE MANY TIMES, SAY WHEN I NEWLY ARRIVE MY SHIRTS DEY FIT ME BETTER. UK NO FUCKEN EASY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva:
I thought you meant Nigeria. I for fear. Na for where i wan see serial killer. Even pick pocket sef i neva jam. But i dey fear make Rhino no come pick my pocket one day grin

Ofcourse there are serial killers right there in Nigeria. Just cause you do not here of them on TV does not mean they don't exist. I mean from the many killings that happen in the South(cities and rural places) to the killings that have now become the norm in the North, do you think it all started overnight? Of course not. I like to talk on this because only a couple of years ago, many Nigerians also believed that Nigerians do not commit suicide. But with the increased used of social media, more and more people are beginning to realize that it has been going on right under their noses only that they ignored it out of ignorance.

Think! Do you know how many of those cases of people suddenly dying are the work of serial killers? How many of the deaths were investigated? How many of the bodies were autopsied? I am sure there are still stories of people getting killed in alley ways, and on the side of the road in the city where you live now. Stories of bodies mutilated or decapitated, or even people strangled to death(if the coroner even bothers to check). You may just shrug them off as simply random cases of violence, but the could be serial killers at work too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

manny,

Dont let anyone deceive you. I worked in both environment at the topmost level and I can categorically tell you that You are way better in the US than in Nigeria

Anyone that wants to dispute this can lets have a debate and see how it goes, I would give you specifics. Dont mind people who have never worked anywhere in their life claiming one is better.

Politics or getting contracts is the only field where you can be better in Nigeria than in America

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

But dont you have to deal with highway robbers, kidnappers and Boko haram on a daily basis

In US you can start your car at 3am to enter a gas station to buy anything. In Nigeria if you dare go out beyond a certain time, you are on your own
You're right. But in Nigeria, people who take precautionary measures and are not lousy live longer than the talkatives and waka abouts. But in the US, you could be shot because just because someone's name is "psycopath".
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deshclones(m): 5:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Shut up dat gutter u call a mouth...naija's crime rate is a dot when compared to what happens abroad esp d u.s..d only unsafe place in naija is d north..we in d south run things wella..we roll anytime we deem fit..day or midnight...how on earth will anyone in his right state compare naija nd u.s in terms of crime?..so u r dis silly?..tot ur only problem was being a bigot..
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 5:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Ofcourse there are serial killers right there in Nigeria. Just cause you do not here of them on TV does not mean they don't exist. I mean from the many killings that happen in the South(cities and rural places) to the killings that have now become the norm in the North, do you think it all started overnight?

Of course not. I like to say this because only a couple of years ago, many Nigerians also believed that Nigerians do not commit suicide. But with the increased used of social media, more and more people are beginning to realize that it has been going on right under their noses and they ignored it out of ignorance.

Think. Do you know how many of those cases of people suddenly dying are the work of serial killers? How many of the deaths were investigated? How many of the bodies were autopsied?
Serial killers are not popular in Nigeria like in the US. The thing about Nigeria is that, if you mind your business, you'll live longer than Metusela.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

10 Reasons Nigerian Immigrants Would Enjoy Canada / Lagosians Use Faeces To Put Out Fire On Road, Poo Truck Explodes (Video) / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.