Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? (58117 Views)

Poll: Is it advisable for a woman to share her past with her man?

Yes - honesty is beneficial: 63% (101 votes)
No - most men can't handle it: 36% (57 votes)
This poll has ended

Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? / How Can A Man Know That He Is Good At Bed? / God Exposed My Girlfriend's Past And Present When She Went For Youth Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by voghor12: 7:15pm On Dec 21, 2007
the past is the key to the future. it will help the man to know those things that are capable of bringing out the best in the woman. even those things she pretends she is ok with can also be revealed thru such study. this is not to say that all judgements should be base on the past as she may chage some of those attributs. wen tried however, some inherent attributes will be exhibited.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Dreloaded(f): 7:19pm On Dec 21, 2007
voghor12:

the past is the key to the future. it will help the man to know those things that are capable of bringing out the best in the woman. .

so only the man should know the woman's past right?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Dreloaded(f): 7:23pm On Dec 21, 2007
yemivictor:

@ D-reloaded,

Will you please stop addressing Nigerian guys in derogatory terms, trying really hard to contain my anger! WTF is wrong with you?

If u've had issues with any naija guy in the past, you should be intelligent and broad-minded enough to know that AL[b]L NAIJA GUYS ARE NOT THE SAME![/b]

It beats me, but you can't just come on nairaland and drag naija guys in the mud with impunity!

And just so you know, just as you have engraved in your heart, sexist male pigs and arab oriented men (as you call it), we also have UNREPENTANT FEMINIST WHORES!!! Get it?

o je bi to fi "contain anger", o de wa lu mi ni gba naa? like your arab breathen? grin

Dude I said "Alot" not "All", if it were "All" I wouldnt be in a relationship with one.

Learn the difference between most and all, then get back to me

As for your last comment, that has nothing to do with me.

Thanks and Ciao! cheesy
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by degubi(m): 12:37pm On Dec 22, 2007
Whether a woman tells man her past or not is not the issue, the issue is if the man would be mature enough to handle it appropriately or would use it to get back at her when she falls short of his expectation. Some women keep secrets of their past out of a concern that the man may not be able to handle such revelations and some men fail to realise that we all make mistakes,so there is always need to over look the past. But a woman should not be forced to reveal her past unless she wants to. And a woman should ensure that her man is aware of any scandal of the past,so that if he hears it from a third party he would know how to handle it.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Dreloaded(f): 5:41pm On Dec 22, 2007
degubi:

Whether a woman tells man her past or not is not the issue, the issue is if the man would be mature enough to handle it appropriately or would use it to get back at her when she falls short of his expectation. Some women keep secrets of their past out of a concern that the man may not be able to handle such revelations and some men fail to realise that we all make mistakes,so there is always need to over look the past. But a woman should not be forced to reveal her past unless she wants to. And a woman should ensure that her man is aware of any scandal of the past,so that if he hears it from a third party he would know how to handle it.

The Arabs havent affected you yet. We thank God wink
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Finecat(m): 6:45pm On Dec 22, 2007
@D-reloaded

TOH, Agidi eyin omo Ekiti ti poju. Calm down sweetheart. I hope your tongue is not this sharp when you talk to your man ?? Unless he's from Ekiti too. By the way, was that Yoruba you was speaking?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by iyc(m): 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2007
Hello all!!!!! I just hit on the subject, and its just a big laugh. Hey, what u do not know does not hurt you, they say. i believe and agree with them, its not so much about where u have been, but is about where you are and where u are going. Bleep HISTORY, KILL THE PAST!!!!!
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by jayvin01: 8:00pm On Dec 22, 2007
iyc:

Hello all!!!!! I just hit on the subject, and its just a big laugh. Hey, what u do not know does not hurt you, they say. i believe and agree with them, its not so much about where u have been, but is about where you are and where u are going. Bleep HISTORY, KILL THE PAST!!!!!

no need for me to *type*!! cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by yemivictor: 9:41am On Dec 24, 2007
o je bi to fi "contain anger", o de wa lu mi ni gba naa? like your arab breathen?

Dude I said "Alot" not "All", if it were "All" I wouldnt be in a relationship with one.

Learn the difference between most and all, then get back to me

As for your last comment, that has nothing to do with me.

Thanks and Ciao!

Madam english teacher, the difference between "most" and "all" on a contextual basis, would have to be rather insignificant don't you think?

Secondly, you said i should come and "lu e ni egba" don't worry because i won't do that, but let me catch you one-on-one and you'll see what i'll do to u! grin grin grin
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by MasterUwem(m): 11:57am On Dec 24, 2007
when revealing your past to ur partner it should be during love, don't just sit up one day and while he was less emotional u just start telling him about ur Mess up wit your formal guys, how ur aborted innocent babies, how many time u hard sex before a week runs out, and how many guys(mugu) you will keeping.

understand you partner very well before going into such a discussion
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by cute9jaguy(m): 3:13pm On Dec 24, 2007
i once had a sweet gurl,i regret knowing her past coz it led to our break up. she was so dirty in the past,but i swear,she's so sweet. i couldnt handle it and i tried to be protective,she had to run coz i was not handling it well.It was hard to let go but i had to!
i think you shouldnt know about ur gurl's past,just know if she's HIV + or not!

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by kaylala(m): 1:15am On Dec 25, 2007
Its not a big deal though,so far you are not a jealous type and you are matured enough to handle what you hear.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by cuteNhot(f): 1:23am On Dec 25, 2007
why is it important?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by kaylala(m): 10:01am On Dec 25, 2007
Not clear with that
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by ariblaze(m): 9:08pm On Dec 25, 2007
degubi:

well said

dont ask if you cant handle it

thats the right policy
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by kaylala(m): 9:44pm On Dec 25, 2007
ariblaze:

don't ask if you can't handle it

WORD
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by odiaseo(m): 3:14pm On Dec 26, 2007
Sometimes it is necessary and in other's it's not. One needs to evaluate the situation and determine if the past needs to be reviewed. If the motivating factor behind the inquisition is true love, the end result if guaranteed. It is much better to earn the trust of your spouse to they extend that they are free and willing to share their past with you without any prompting.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by yemivictor: 9:30am On Dec 27, 2007
kaylala:

WORD

But, how exactly are you supposed to know whether you can take it or not IF YOU DO NOT HEAR IT! extra-sensory perception? grin
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by abbeyboy(m): 9:50am On Dec 28, 2007
What you need to ask yourself is:

Do YOU have a past?
Have YOU told your girlfriends about YOUR past?
Do revelations of past relationships have any bearing on the here and now?
Do you feel you're oblighed to know about your girlfriend's past? And why?
Do revelations of past relationships only apply to ladies? If yes, why?

The answer to your question lies in your reply to the above.

As far as I'm concerned, the past should remain firmly in the past, I don't honestly see why I should expect my girlfriend to reveal her past to me, unless I'm prepared to do the same. From the sounds of things, you seem to have problems dealing with the fact you weren't the first man in your girlfriends life, unless you're on the hunt for a virgin?

Are you a virgin yourself?

You've said it all. Good logic.
cool
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Don1DeMaco: 11:00am On Dec 29, 2007
i dont see any reason why not

infact its very key in a relationship cos it either makes the bond stronger or breaks it whichis a win win for both parties,

i mean if i know my gf has a habit of cheating on her bf then i go don prepare my mind for it to happen b4 e even happen dat way u no go fit blame anybody but urself, and vice versa, if u go out and somebody is bad mouthing her u can stand up for her cos she has been honest to u about it and u ve accepted it so it wouldnt be much of a problem conpared to if u discover the past from someone else. thats my take on the issue
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by kaylala(m): 12:23pm On Dec 30, 2007
yemivictor:

But, how exactly are you supposed to know whether you can take it or not IF YOU DO NOT HEAR IT! extra-sensory perception? grin

As a man or a right human being,i believe you should know your strength and weakness.

Do you agree with this?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by kaylala(m): 12:27pm On Dec 30, 2007
Don1DeMaco:

infact its very key in a relationship because it either makes the bond stronger or breaks it which is a win win for both parties

I don't agree to this,it doesn't have to amount to a win win for both parties.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by theboy0808(m): 1:59pm On Dec 30, 2007
Why should you want to know sumthing that will only break your heart?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by yemivictor: 4:02pm On Dec 31, 2007
kaylala:

As a man or a right human being,i believe you should know your strength and weakness.

Do you agree with this?

I beg to differ with your position kaylala, you know why? Because your position is prejudiced! I mean, how on earth are you supposed to know how actually terrible or pleasant your partner's past has been unless you have the details?

What if upon given the details, you find that things are not actually as terrible as you had expected?

I don't believe all the crap about "knowing your strength and weakness" or "why do i wanna know something that'll break my heart". Better have my heart broken now than later!

Honesty is the best policy, and there's nothing new under the sun!!!

Anything short of your partner coming out clean is tantamount to blackmail!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Don1DeMaco: 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2007
thank you pls tell them again
if u truly love ur partner and have his/ her interest at heart u come clean and take ur chances
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by afroasian(m): 1:01pm On Jan 01, 2008
everybody has a past, whether it was good or bad.

Yes, its good for couples to TELL ALL to themselves, about their pasts etc., This serves to solidify the foundation of the relationship, build trust and confidence.

No matter what she was before, if Im in Love with her, I believe that Love seals up her past, but I should know about it, coz you know ppl are different. You might meet someone in future and he tells you something bad about your wife. If you knew it before, you can quickly brush the statement aside and even make a joke out of it. At least, such keeps your own peace of mind, and your wife's dignity. At the end of the day, the story-teller will have to keep his/her mouth shut.

The truth is there is no future without a past, and the sooner couples open up to each other, the better for the relationship now and in the future.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by NihilceM: 3:54pm On Jan 01, 2008
Men can't handle the truth. They are so insecure.

As for me, I told my ex about my first boyfriend and wether he accepted it or not was his cup of tea.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 02, 2008
it's not good to tell a man your past, especially men you've slept with, they can't handle it. My friend paula hammond told her ex kojo annan all the guys she slept with and kojo couldn't stand the fact that he knows those guys. The alter bound relationship broke up. If he finds out, dont deny, but dont be the first to tell.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by topkin(m): 1:34am On Jan 02, 2008
It's not necessary and pls dnt pry into knowing it. It definitely won't help. It would make the relationship worse except ans except u truly have a forgiving and christlike heart. But in its totality its absolutely not necessary!!!
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by blueband(m): 5:56am On Jan 02, 2008
It is very difficult to deal with.
Scenario 1:
Girl Friend:I used to date married men
Boy friend:Thinking to himself(I am stuck with someone who can do Under G,someone who has no respect for matrimony,someone who has no respect for herself)

Scenario 2:
Boyfriend:I used to hang around sanusi fafunwa picking up prostitutes
Girlfriend:Thinking to herself(what kind of beast is this man)
Girlfriend,now hears from her sister-your boyfriend carries prostitues.Girlfriend knows this is true,but her sister telling her does not reduce the pain.

Scenario 3:
Girlfriend:Whenver governors came to town,we used to go and sleep with them
Boyfriend:Hmmmm,I still love you darling.
On boyfriend's wedding day,his dad's friend recognise the bride to be someone who was his "tooth pick".He tells grooms father-"That girl is very lose".Grooms father tells son.It still does not reduce the pain the boyfriend will feel.(This actually happened to a friend,and couple is now divorced)

Scenario 4:
Girlfriend:I had an abortion for my boyfriend.He disclaimed the baby
Boyfriend hears his babe has had an abortion.He laughs over it.

There are somethings that can NEVER be erased from amn's mind and that is sexual promuiscuity.The man will always be insecure.To avoid spilling your past,live a high moral life.Many guys and girls do.Believe it or not!
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by yemivictor: 10:13am On Jan 02, 2008
Nihil-ce-M:

Men can't handle the truth. They are so insecure.

As for me, I told my ex about my first boyfriend and wether he accepted it or not was his cup of tea.

And you actually think women can handle the truth and don't have insecurities too! Better wake up girl, and stop living in a fool's paradise! grin

blueband:

It is very difficult to deal with.
Scenario 1:
Girl Friend:I used to date married men
Boy friend:Thinking to himself(I am stuck with someone who can do Under G,someone who has no respect for matrimony,someone who has no respect for herself)

Scenario 2:
Boyfriend:I used to hang around sanusi fafunwa picking up prostitutes
Girlfriend:Thinking to herself(what kind of beast is this man)
Girlfriend,now hears from her sister-your boyfriend carries prostitues.Girlfriend knows this is true,but her sister telling her does not reduce the pain.

Scenario 3:
Girlfriend:Whenver governors came to town,we used to go and sleep with them
Boyfriend:Hmmmm,I still love you darling.
On boyfriend's wedding day,his dad's friend recognise the bride to be someone who was his "tooth pick".He tells grooms father-"That girl is very lose".Grooms father tells son.It still does not reduce the pain the boyfriend will feel.(This actually happened to a friend,and couple is now divorced)

Scenario 4:
Girlfriend:I had an abortion for my boyfriend.He disclaimed the baby
Boyfriend hears his babe has had an abortion.He laughs over it.

There are somethings that can NEVER be erased from amn's mind and that is sexual promuiscuity.The man will always be insecure.To avoid spilling your past,live a high moral life.Many guys and girls do.Believe it or not!

Case closed and end of discussion! HE WHO HAS NOTHING TO HIDE HAS NOTHING TO FEAR!!!
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by NihilceM: 11:32am On Jan 02, 2008
yemivictor:

And you actually think women can handle the truth and don't have insecurities too! Better wake up girl, and stop living in a fool's paradise! grin

Sweetheart, while a man can choose when and who to marry, women aren't that lucky.
Afterall, you have got the choice! tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Surprise As Bride Gifts Groom 3 Vehicles On Wedding Day / How I Intentionally Played A Fast Game On A Lady / Fan Who Had Sex With Tonto Dikeh In The Dream - Actress Replies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.