Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,671 members, 7,801,934 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? (19962 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by pstbolanta: 11:32am On Aug 07, 2012
I was invited by a friend to his church last sunday,when the pastor started to preach,he kept on hammering on TITHING,that anyone that does not pay hios tithe will go to heaven and your tithe should not be you basic pay but total gross pay,you need to see the way he was stretching on it assive his life depended on it,i began to start feeling quilty of not paying instatntly,but i know i have some very reliable friends on nairaland to sample their opinion on this TITHING WAHALA,ARE WE BIND TO PAY TITHE
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by LogicMind: 11:37am On Aug 07, 2012
pstbolanta: I was invited by a friend to his church last sunday,when the pastor started to preach,he kept on hammering on TITHING,that anyone that does not pay hios tithe will go to heaven and your tithe should not be you basic pay but total gross pay,you need to see the way he was stretching on it assive his life depended on it,i began to start feeling quilty of not paying instatntly,but i know i have some very reliable friends on nairaland to sample their opinion on this TITHING WAHALA,ARE WE BIND TO PAY TITHE

you are bound
however, there is good news: you can deliver yourself from this bondage.
Just say no to bullshyte.

7 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by pstbolanta: 11:42am On Aug 07, 2012
Logic Mind:

you are bound
however, there is good news: you can deliver yourself from this bondage.
Just say no to bullshyte.
PL;S LETS BE SERIOUS HERE

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by LogicMind: 11:53am On Aug 07, 2012
pstbolanta: PL;S LETS BE SERIOUS HERE

ask around. this is me being very serious.

2 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Areaboy2(m): 12:15pm On Aug 07, 2012

LogicMind is right though.

thanks to beautiful interpretation (cherry picking), you are bound to pay. Not paying will simply be not keeping up with the law. You can deduce the punishment for that. be it hardship or earth or exclusion from heaven, you will serve your sentence for not paying..

But there's hope..

what hope? read Logic's last sentence again tongue
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by segyemaro(m): 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
na wa for you guys,alot has been said about tithing,take time to go through them
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Delafruita(m): 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
hez been serious.tithing is one of the most legal ponzi schemes ever dreamt of.madoff's scheme is nothing compared to the billions that have been "tithed" which have somehow found their way to purchase ot SUVs,jets,mansions and even building universities the tithers cant afford

5 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by segyemaro(m): 12:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
hahahahahahahahaha,you can say that again
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by kenny888: 11:07am On Aug 08, 2012
without tithe,pastors will go hungry,why do you think we have so many churches around the whole area,even some face to face churches

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:21pm On Aug 08, 2012
A pastor who takes tithe is stealing.
Read Malachi 3, and understand that tithing:
a) as charged God never took any man.
b) The tithe was paid in oil, grains, but never in cash or jewelry.
c) In Malachi 3, God punishes the Levitical priests with tithing, because those priests had stolen from God.

Go to heaven or not is not something you buy with tithing.
Avoid those pastors thieves ... do not let you steal it.
My respects.

5 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by odumchi: 8:41am On Aug 09, 2012
Lol. That pastor is a fraud: he is clearly in "church business". As for the answer to your question, no, do not pay any tithe. In fact, I suggest you don't return to such a "church".

I have experienced something similar to this. I attended the church event of a family friend and, to my surprise, there were up to five collections! Every now and then the pastor bishop would shout "This is the hour of miracles! Whatever you give to God now, he will return to you tenfold!"

Beware of false pastors/churches.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 09, 2012
Paying tithe is not a condition to enter the kingdom of heaven. But Jesus requested that as good christians, we should pay tithe. And the tithe should be used for the maintenance of the church and for feeding the poor and the old widowed members of the church.

8 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by KiKatanga: 9:40am On Aug 09, 2012
teminoni: Paying tithe is not a condition to enter the kingdom of heaven. But Jesus requested that as good christians, we should pay tithe. And the tithe should be used for the maintenance of the church and for feeding the poor and the old widowed members of the church.
Ask your self if the Pastor, Minister or Priest isn't one of the richer people of the area...
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by pstbolanta: 12:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
You are in the spirit my brother
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Delafruita(m): 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2012
teminoni: Paying tithe is not a condition to enter the kingdom of heaven. But Jesus requested that as good christians, we should pay tithe. And the tithe should be used for the maintenance of the church and for feeding the poor and the old widowed members of the church.
where did jesus say that?

7 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by yeye4live(m): 11:37am On Aug 12, 2012
Intrestin, dis days churches does tithe every sundays,I 4maly taut it shud b once in a month,churchs dis days re just a riping house 4me,my anoyance s dat dey wil neva help any of dier members dat re down,no ned 2talk much, GOD s comin soon 2get dem 4me

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by olamike: 11:38am On Aug 12, 2012
Paying of TITHE is very compulsory and mandatory, infact one has no option than to pay,read Malachi 3 verses 8 and 9
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by benkings(m): 11:42am On Aug 12, 2012
When u help d needy u are also payin tithe.....

3 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by DeGrace01(m): 11:43am On Aug 12, 2012
As a Christian you are duty bound to pay ur tithe read Malachy 3:8-12 ok. Secondly it attracts alot of blessings from God. So is a must.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 11:44am On Aug 12, 2012
COPIED FROM http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/the-money-changers/

The Money-changers
on AUGUST 12, 2012 · in ARTICLE OF FAITH
1:31 am

By Femi Aribisala

God forbid that where two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, an offering should not be collected.

To be a successful pastor, you really have to learn the tricks of the trade. This has nothing to do with preaching insightful and inspiring messages. Neither does it have to do with ministering to the spiritual needs of the members of the church. The pastor succeeds or fails according to his ability to pull a crowd and extort as much money as possible from his congregation. If he fails in these vital areas, he is not likely to survive for long as a pastor.

The technique is simple but effective. You tell your congregants that for every naira they give, they will get a hundredfold return. Even those in debt are encouraged to get out of debt by giving out of their indebtedness.

Pastor Paula White of Without Walls International Church, Tampa, Florida (U.S.A.) is a master practitioner of this money-grubbing technique. In one of her television broadcasts, she asked her audience to open their bibles to Psalm 66, verse 12. This reads: “Through the fire, through the water, God brought us out into a wealthy place.” Then she said: “God says he wants you to sow sixty-six dollars and twelve cents. Or you can sow six thousand, six hundred and twelve dollars.”

Money activator

These are the voices of strangers who make merchandise of men by peddling the word of God. Peter says: “These teachers in their greed will tell you anything to get hold of your money.” (2 Peter 2:3). Indeed, pastors tell Christians that money operates like a “gel activator.” The promises of God proclaimed in our messages are sealed until a “seed offering” is given to activate it. Therefore, you are likely to see different members of our congregation suddenly get up in the middle of our sermons to throw money at our feet. One pastor put it very succinctly. He said: “Anointing without money is equal to annoyance.”

This makes the offering-time the focal point of our services. Here, the pastoral imagination has run wild. Just give the offering a highfalutin name and it becomes the commandment of God. In those days when I attended part-time Zoe Ministries Worldwide in Victoria Island, Lagos; three offerings were collected in every service: one for “the Father;” another for “the Son;” and yet another for “the Holy Spirit.”

In one parish of Redeemed Church, the pastor counselled the poor: “If you don’t have an offering, borrow from your neighbour.” Never mind that the promise of God says the believer shall lend to many nations but shall not borrow. (Deuteronomy 15:6).

Even though Jesus says when we give, our right hand should not know what our left hand is doing (Matthew 6:3); some pastors insist offerings must be held up for all to see, in the attempt to embarrass those not inclined to give, or those inclined to offer notes in the smaller currency denominations. In the branch of Zoe Ministries I attended, the pastor proscribed altogether the giving of offerings in the smaller currency notes. “My God is not a poor God,” he declared.

One popular convention requires everybody to march forward, one by one, to drop their offerings on a tray placed strategically in front of the pastor; so we can observe exactly how much they are giving and thereby intimidate them into giving more than they would like to. It also serves to embarrass those who cannot give and stay behind.

At other times, we constrain our members to make public vows and pledges. One of my former pastors used to say: “Pledge more than you have; stretch your faith.” When the time comes to redeem the pledge, we will hit you with Ecclesiastes 5:4-6 which says if you make a vow and don’t redeem it God will destroy the work of your hands.

Blessing time

One technique is to take the offering early in order to ensure people don’t leave before the money can be taken from them. But sometimes this strategy backfires. In one of the services I attended at Pentecostal Assembly, the pastor noticed that some of the wealthier church-members came in after the offering had been collected. So he insisted it should be collected again. The reason he gave was a classic. He said: “I don’t want anybody here to be denied the blessings of the day.” Of course, God only blesses during offering times.

Yetunde Olanrewaju came up with what I presume is a parable. She said one day, a swarm of bees descended on a church while a service was in session. The people panicked and started running out of the building. But the Pastor was up in arms. “Wait, wait, please wait,” he pleaded to no avail. “We haven’t yet collected the offering.” God forbid that where two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, an offering should not be collected.

Charlene Animashaun was head of the money-counters in her parish. While the offering was still being counted, the new pastor sent someone to collect a certain amount of the money. Charlene sent word back that the count had yet to be completed. The procedure was to document the amount and then lodge it in the bank. That way, any withdrawals would have a paper-trail.

But the new Pastor would not be denied. He barged into to the counting-room and kicked up a fuss. He reminded all and sundry he was now the pastor. What the pastor demands, the pastor gets; no questions asked. He grabbed the money with the stern warning that his authority should never be challenged again. Charlene got the message and quietly resigned her position as head of the money-counters. She has since resigned from the church itself.

It is an open secret that pastors are not accountable for the monies we routinely collect. Christians simply leave the policing to God, thereby giving us a free hand to be as honest or dishonest as our conscience permits. This ensures that financial impropriety is widespread in churches and Christian ministries, but buried under the carpet.

Soul traders

The plan was to have many churches in Victoria Island, Lagos gather on a Sunday morning and go “prayer-walking,” under the aegis of the zonal Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria. We would walk around the streets and claim them spiritually for Jesus. But there was a logistical problem. If we would not have services in our churches that Sunday, we would not be able to collect the offering.

Somebody finally came up with a solution. We would meet briefly in our churches for the sole purpose of collecting the offering, and then assemble as planned. But then another problem arose. What would happen to those we convert to Christianity on the way? Which churches would they be asked to attend? Here again, a genius came up with the solution. “At the end of the exercise,” she said, “we will seat down and share the souls.”

“Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come. And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise anymore: merchandise of gold and silver,.. horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men.” (Revelation 18:10-13).

15 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by ebamma(m): 11:45am On Aug 12, 2012
tithe in nigerian churches is defined as the money gullible worshippers pay every month to the pastor,who uses it to buy private jets,luxurious cars,expensive clothes and exotic houses.

2 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by ugochukwu15(m): 11:45am On Aug 12, 2012

Hahahaha! Which almost 95% of d churches are guilty of. The money ends up in there purses joor. But till pay n believe u r giving it to God.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by chukxy44(m): 11:48am On Aug 12, 2012
Sincerely I am @ lost wen it comes to tithe paying. A friend recently had serious financial challenges and decided to call his pastor for some assistance, only for the Pastor to tell him that he can not be of help, that he also has financial challenges. This guy is one person I know that is very faithful with tithe paying. The question is if u can't run to the church wen u are broke den what happens to all d weekly tithe money. Are churches for spiritual problems only?

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by ebamma(m): 11:48am On Aug 12, 2012
the bible says that the wages of sin is death,if you like pay millions as tithe everymonth if you are still a sinner i dont think you will go to heaven

2 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by DeGrace01(m): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2012
benkings: When u help d needy u are also payin tithe.....
Pls don't misinform or lead pple arms giving is quit different from tithe. Tithe is giving one tenth of wht u made and to be given to the minister of God(priest or pastor) is not the same wt d one u give to the poor. Again in tithe u must gv one tenth bt arms giving u give what u like.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by MahatmaGhandi: 11:54am On Aug 12, 2012

Where did jesus say so ?,ok if jesus didn't you could research the writings of Paul,peter,timothy,and other new testament writers if you find one verse expressly requesting payment of tithe I will be glad not that am against it but am also researching its legality,I will make my points when you reply.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by emsgray: 11:56am On Aug 12, 2012
tithe is not assurance to heaven. salvation is the only key , tithe is making heavenly savings and earthly breakthrough key. Amen!

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 12, 2012
Mahatma Ghandi:

Where did jesus say so ?,ok if jesus didn't you could research the writings of Paul,peter,timothy,and other new testament writers if you find one verse expressly requesting payment of tithe I will be glad not that am against it but am also researching its legality,I will make my points when you reply.

Jesus didn't say it directly, he said it through his apostles. Esp Paul. Just like God didn't give us the 10 commandments directly, but through Moses.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by jude33084(m): 12:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
Interesting topic. ĹƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡L 
cheesy
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by anicho(m): 12:09pm On Aug 12, 2012
NEVER! Any pastor that says that is after his/her pocket.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 12, 2012
Of course its ok 2 pay tithe cos its a way of showing God u appreciate d gud tins he haz been doin in ur lyf.imho
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by LagosBoi2(m): 12:13pm On Aug 12, 2012
DeeManD: COPIED FROM http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/the-money-changers/

The Money-changers
on AUGUST 12, 2012 · in ARTICLE OF FAITH
1:31 am

By Femi Aribisala

God forbid that where two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, an offering should not be collected.

To be a successful pastor, you really have to learn the tricks of the trade. This has nothing to do with preaching insightful and inspiring messages. Neither does it have to do with ministering to the spiritual needs of the members of the church. The pastor succeeds or fails according to his ability to pull a crowd and extort as much money as possible from his congregation. If he fails in these vital areas, he is not likely to survive for long as a pastor.

The technique is simple but effective. You tell your congregants that for every naira they give, they will get a hundredfold return. Even those in debt are encouraged to get out of debt by giving out of their indebtedness.

Pastor Paula White of Without Walls International Church, Tampa, Florida (U.S.A.) is a master practitioner of this money-grubbing technique. In one of her television broadcasts, she asked her audience to open their bibles to Psalm 66, verse 12. This reads: “Through the fire, through the water, God brought us out into a wealthy place.” Then she said: “God says he wants you to sow sixty-six dollars and twelve cents. Or you can sow six thousand, six hundred and twelve dollars.”

Money activator

These are the voices of strangers who make merchandise of men by peddling the word of God. Peter says: “These teachers in their greed will tell you anything to get hold of your money.” (2 Peter 2:3). Indeed, pastors tell Christians that money operates like a “gel activator.” The promises of God proclaimed in our messages are sealed until a “seed offering” is given to activate it. Therefore, you are likely to see different members of our congregation suddenly get up in the middle of our sermons to throw money at our feet. One pastor put it very succinctly. He said: “Anointing without money is equal to annoyance.”

This makes the offering-time the focal point of our services. Here, the pastoral imagination has run wild. Just give the offering a highfalutin name and it becomes the commandment of God. In those days when I attended part-time Zoe Ministries Worldwide in Victoria Island, Lagos; three offerings were collected in every service: one for “the Father;” another for “the Son;” and yet another for “the Holy Spirit.”

In one parish of Redeemed Church, the pastor counselled the poor: “If you don’t have an offering, borrow from your neighbour.” Never mind that the promise of God says the believer shall lend to many nations but shall not borrow. (Deuteronomy 15:6).

Even though Jesus says when we give, our right hand should not know what our left hand is doing (Matthew 6:3); some pastors insist offerings must be held up for all to see, in the attempt to embarrass those not inclined to give, or those inclined to offer notes in the smaller currency denominations. In the branch of Zoe Ministries I attended, the pastor proscribed altogether the giving of offerings in the smaller currency notes. “My God is not a poor God,” he declared.

One popular convention requires everybody to march forward, one by one, to drop their offerings on a tray placed strategically in front of the pastor; so we can observe exactly how much they are giving and thereby intimidate them into giving more than they would like to. It also serves to embarrass those who cannot give and stay behind.

At other times, we constrain our members to make public vows and pledges. One of my former pastors used to say: “Pledge more than you have; stretch your faith.” When the time comes to redeem the pledge, we will hit you with Ecclesiastes 5:4-6 which says if you make a vow and don’t redeem it God will destroy the work of your hands.

Blessing time

One technique is to take the offering early in order to ensure people don’t leave before the money can be taken from them. But sometimes this strategy backfires. In one of the services I attended at Pentecostal Assembly, the pastor noticed that some of the wealthier church-members came in after the offering had been collected. So he insisted it should be collected again. The reason he gave was a classic. He said: “I don’t want anybody here to be denied the blessings of the day.” Of course, God only blesses during offering times.

Yetunde Olanrewaju came up with what I presume is a parable. She said one day, a swarm of bees descended on a church while a service was in session. The people panicked and started running out of the building. But the Pastor was up in arms. “Wait, wait, please wait,” he pleaded to no avail. “We haven’t yet collected the offering.” God forbid that where two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, an offering should not be collected.

Charlene Animashaun was head of the money-counters in her parish. While the offering was still being counted, the new pastor sent someone to collect a certain amount of the money. Charlene sent word back that the count had yet to be completed. The procedure was to document the amount and then lodge it in the bank. That way, any withdrawals would have a paper-trail.

But the new Pastor would not be denied. He barged into to the counting-room and kicked up a fuss. He reminded all and sundry he was now the pastor. What the pastor demands, the pastor gets; no questions asked. He grabbed the money with the stern warning that his authority should never be challenged again. Charlene got the message and quietly resigned her position as head of the money-counters. She has since resigned from the church itself.

It is an open secret that pastors are not accountable for the monies we routinely collect. Christians simply leave the policing to God, thereby giving us a free hand to be as honest or dishonest as our conscience permits. This ensures that financial impropriety is widespread in churches and Christian ministries, but buried under the carpet.

Soul traders

The plan was to have many churches in Victoria Island, Lagos gather on a Sunday morning and go “prayer-walking,” under the aegis of the zonal Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria. We would walk around the streets and claim them spiritually for Jesus. But there was a logistical problem. If we would not have services in our churches that Sunday, we would not be able to collect the offering.

Somebody finally came up with a solution. We would meet briefly in our churches for the sole purpose of collecting the offering, and then assemble as planned. But then another problem arose. What would happen to those we convert to Christianity on the way? Which churches would they be asked to attend? Here again, a genius came up with the solution. “At the end of the exercise,” she said, “we will seat down and share the souls.”

“Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come. And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise anymore: merchandise of gold and silver,.. horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men.” (Revelation 18:10-13).

You are too much...topic cleared..I refuse to be a pastors client, if I have to pay my tithe it will go to the needies they are everywhere.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Interview With Sinach / Join Whatsapp Group Where Latest Gospel Music Is Shared / Cardinal Onaiyekan Disowns Recent Interview Against President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.