Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions (12343 Views)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Kwakwanso’s Insult On Yoruba Elders Will Not Go Unanswered: femi Fani-kayode / Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Sunofgod(m): 4:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
If anyone does not like what I have to say here, they are quite at liberty to hang themselves. Mr Babatunde Fashola—and I once had occasion to defend him (see “Lagos: The writing on the wall” )—has once again demonstrated one of those traits of wickedness for which I have consistently maintained that he is an anti-people governor, no matter what brainwashed members of the public or Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) apologists say. Mr Fashola demolished Makoko without providing any alternative accommodation for the displaced residents.

A statement was even credited to him to the effect that the displaced people are not Lagos indigenes. But they were indigenes during elections. My advice for him this morning will be lifted from the mouth of a fellow governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko: “We have been able to and prove that government can engage the market women in a very useful way to stop guerrilla or street trading. You don’t just bulldoze shacks and send people into deeper poverty.” (see Return of Greatness published by Gaskia Media Ltd). Whenever I look at the so-called model government in Lagos (a government which puts people in Black Maria for hawking, and has uniformed touts in the name of KAI), I find very fuzzy ideological content, a zero tolerance for dissent, and a gruelling emphasis on morbid capitalism. Sincerely, Lagos crumbles when you apply the Awo parameters.

Dr Mimiko brought development to the doorsteps of market women; he built world standard neighbourhood markets right on the same spot where shacks, dirt and mud had reigned, and the market women are paying only N50 per week—and even that is for the maintenance of the market. On the other hand, the Lagos State government simply bulldozes markets (remember the traders in Osodi) and sends people into deeper poverty. Mr Fashola should visit Ondo State and learn how to be people-centred, beyond decorating Onipanu while Bajulaye rots in utter neglect.

Not that the ACN governors are not doing some positive things. For instance, Senator Abiola Ajimobi is currently engaged in road work, and recently finished work on Queen Elizabeth road following a media publication. The governor has also been facing fire from criminals just because he sacked certificate forgers from the civil service, people who should have been prosecuted and jailed for their crime. In his handling of matters following the last flooding incident in Ibadan, Ajimobi demonstrated a clear understanding of the dynamics of poverty and urbanisation, and chose to engage residents of flood-prone areas in meaningful dialogue and moral suasion, while also taking necessary action. Indeed, but for his positive efforts, the latest flooding incident in the city would have been disastrous. In the area of security, Ajimobi has showed some class as well. And in Ekiti, Dr Fayemi has mapped out a unique plan for tourism development in the state, demonstrating considerable knowledge of the intricacies of tourism in his handling of the Ikogosi project.

Now, to return to the Makoko residents. If Mr Fashola is truly a progressive, he would, while protecting the people against themselves, have provided an alternative accommodation for them.The people had to take their protest to the state House of Assembly, and the pictures of the pathetic situation were published in the papers. Evidently, Mr Fashola couldn’t care less, because he is not in their shoes. Unfortunately, he was elected to assist these people. He was elected to make life meaningful for them. He was not elected to prove that he is right all the time.

The people had schools in Makoko. Just where would their children go to school now? The scene I watched on Aljazeera was indeed a very shameful one. A working governor, particularly one on whose behalf the South-West media seems to exist, should have taken the people’s plight as his own personal responsibility.

It is a lame and illiterate excuse to say that they are not Lagos people. What Fashola did amounts to pure wickedness, but then this is hardly surprising given his lunatic toll gates, his insistence that he could not afford to make the Lagos State University (LASU) a school for the poor while carrying out a morbid increment in school fees, the discredited Lagos local government polls, the excesses of LASTMA and so on. Perhaps the true test of Fashola’s statesmanship is his handling of the Army officers he recently “arrested” on his BRT lane, an event which his media aide glorified while displaying utter tactlessness (‘’Realising that the game was up...” Which game, media aide?). While the Army colonel kept apologising for his misdeed, the governor kept playing to the gallery, asking pointless questions. Did the governor. a lawyer, consider that the man may have faced an exigency having to do with national security? Had the man committed such an offence in the past? If your wife was dying and there was a traffic gridlock, would you rather maintain your so-called law or take the BRT lane and save her life? There are always extenuating circumstances in life, and a man of wisdom will discern the times.

Despite the man’s humility and apology, Mr Fashola promised to report him to the higher authorities. And yet these people pray for the forgiveness of their sins. The man may have been dismissed now, I don’t know, but I definitely have some sympathy for him, and that has nothing to do with his being a senior army officer. By his conduct, that army colonel definitely proved that he was not a lawless scoundrel. I suspect that he had a compelling reason to use the BRT lane on that day. I know that a lot of people will never take sides with soldiers because of the evil things they did in this country, but we should never get to the point that we think that they are useless. Even in the law courts, a proven thief who shows some remorse is granted some consideration. Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, the House of Reps member currently under fire from his detractors, was said to have shown remorse and cooperated fully with the Georgia authorities after messing up with a client’s money. For that, he was given some consideration. I see nothing wrong with that. I would rather have a man who shows remorse for his misdeeds than a self-righteous beast who will not be appeased. Handlers of the Lagos governor may wish to learn not to play politics with everything.

Beyond this however lie questions of state finance and the future. Is it true that the state’s treasury is being bled dry on a monthly basis in the guise of tax consultancy? Is it true that nearly all of Lagos State is now the property of one man? That would not be progressive, would it? Where do you find such a precedent? What kind of progressivism is that?

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/opinion/45412-lagos-the-unanswered-questions

10 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Sunofgod(m): 4:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
Oya,

Devil ACN Worshipers - come out and defend the Devil Fashola with vigour,
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by SisiKill1: 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Beaf: 5:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
A statement was even credited to him to the effect that the displaced people are not Lagos indigenes. But they were indigenes during elections. My advice for him this morning will be lifted from the mouth of a fellow governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko: “We have been able to and prove that government can engage the market women in a very useful way to stop guerrilla or street trading. You don’t just bulldoze shacks and send people into deeper poverty.” (see Return of Greatness published by Gaskia Media Ltd). Whenever I look at the so-called model government in Lagos (a government which puts people in Black Maria for hawking, and has uniformed touts in the name of KAI), I find very fuzzy ideological content, a zero tolerance for dissent, and a gruelling emphasis on morbid capitalism. Sincerely, Lagos crumbles when you apply the Awo parameters.

Dr Mimiko brought development to the doorsteps of market women; he built world standard neighbourhood markets right on the same spot where shacks, dirt and mud had reigned, and the market women are paying only N50 per week—and even that is for the maintenance of the market. On the other hand, the Lagos State government simply bulldozes markets
(remember the traders in Osodi) and sends people into deeper poverty. Mr Fashola should visit Ondo State and learn how to be people-centred, beyond decorating Onipanu while Bajulaye rots in utter neglect.

This is very deep thinking. There are reasons why Mimiko is called Iroko.
He has repeatedly proven himself to be a man driven by deep ideological meditation hinged on love and caring for the ordinary person.

Anyone can visit not just the vastly transformed Akure, but the far flung corners of Ondo state to understand the depth of Mimiko.

As for Fashola's barbaric bulldozing of Makoko, words fail me. cry

4 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by EkoIle1: 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
Why do you clowns think we must always attend to your trash and stupidity especially rubbish by the PDP tribune. You all are worthless.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by FSU: 5:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
Eko Ile: Why do you clowns think we must always attend to your trash and stupidity especially rubbish by the PDP tribune. You all are worthless.

Lagos and their wayo Tinubu and Fasola thief thief jankoriko
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by banki(m): 6:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
there is no political system in the world that is perfect i am not a member of the ACN but i love thier governors and all candidates they put up for election except the clowns they put out in Kogi and Abia, Mimiko is doing well and i know the ACN wish he was part of them! but you see ondo was ruined by Agagu,so was ekiti so was oyo so was ogun! everytime Fashola talks in public his charisma his intelligence gives us hope that a better nigeria is possible. I saw a bridge in Lekki and I was amazed i asked am i in Nigeria though the bridge is still been test run i was by the waterside and imagined what it would look like after the construction, Fashola is way ahead of his peers and i dare any pdp bigot to come in and spew trash.....they try thier best to run fashola down but i can live in lagos under fashola and Tinubu! but i cannot imagine lagos under Musilu Obanikoro and Bode George,......

5 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by joeyfire(m): 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
Choi!!! Mimiko get mooouuuuth

"Whenever I look at the so-called model government in Lagos (a government which puts people in Black Maria for hawking, and has uniformed touts in the name of KAI), I find very fuzzy ideological content, a zero tolerance for dissent, and a gruelling emphasis on morbid capitalism"

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by kunlekunle: 8:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
joeyfire: Choi!!! Mimiko get mooouuuuth

"Whenever I look at the so-called model government in Lagos (a government which puts people in Black Maria for hawking, and has uniformed touts in the name of KAI), I find very fuzzy ideological content, a zero tolerance for dissent, and a gruelling emphasis on morbid capitalism"
lagos is creating a new breed of nigerians, who would be law abiding.
lagos has a law on hawking, its contravention is punishable under the law.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by kabba7(m): 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
This looks like Something out of the pdp research section !

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Detongue: 12:47am On Aug 08, 2012
A clear character of RASCALS
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by VoodooDoll(m): 12:54am On Aug 08, 2012
Fashola and ACN are trying to build a South West fit for this century. It takes planning and it takes decisive actions.

Sometimes mistakes are made, but on the whole progressive leaps are made. PDP and the scoundrel known as OBJ did their worst to starve Lagos, plunder the SW as they're doing elsewhere and wreck noble institutions.

The broooom revolution has chased PDP out and I pray PDP stays out. PDP can stay active in the centre and other regions, that's up to the other regions.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Beaf: 1:03am On Aug 08, 2012
Talk about how to fail exams!
Imagine some folk talking about PDP, whereas Mimiko is in LP! Lol!

Whats happening to NL these days? embarassed
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Murphy7h4: 1:15am On Aug 08, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by dayokanu(m): 1:22am On Aug 08, 2012
Who is the mor0n who wrote the piece

even excuse the colonel who openly broke the traffic law

2 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 08, 2012
Nigerians never seize to amaze me with their thinking. Gosh!
This problem exists in almost all states in nigeria and the earlier each governor takes this kinda decision, the better for everyone.
You guys should just listen to yourself; I'm not referring to only lagos o
the government warned that anyone shouldn't build a structure at a particular place due to various reasons (it might even be that the place is reserved for a future road construction). You disobeyed and built it (the government jst dey talk their own, abi?). After you don disobey, the government still dey warn that it is not safe that you should relocate to a conducive environment orelse your structure might be distroyed in the future, you are still hard headed (no qualms nau).
Now the government don demolish am and you dey complain sey dem nor give you better place. Thunder fire that your mouth!

I swear, if government give them shishi, me sef go start one illegal structure one place so that I go get millions or a new furnished house. Warbish!!!

4 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by foyeks2001(f): 2:59am On Aug 08, 2012
@Op...that's exactly their normal way of doing things when it comes to 2nd term....am afraid of Mimiko's second tenure also...but will always give it to Fashola anyday, anytime cos If we really need 2 clean up d mess, decisive actions must be taken...seems u know lil abt Buhari/Idiagbon's administration of which is one of d best era we ever experienced in d history of Nigeria...

3 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Yornandrew: 3:21am On Aug 08, 2012
No comments
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 3:23am On Aug 08, 2012
ACN haters trying to rubbish the good works of Fashola! No matter how u condemn Fashola, lagosians will continue to love him.If developing lagos will cause him to destroy some illegal structures and areas of inhabitat,so let it be! Afterall its for the good of lagosians and nigerians at large.Fashola still remains the best governor no matter what PDP thinks.

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by BabaEleko(m): 4:27am On Aug 08, 2012
Lagos PDP have employed a sensible thinking writer. Though they have some good points but what Fashola did is not the worst yet. He is still on track.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 4:41am On Aug 08, 2012
Yornandrew: You people castigating fashola, makoko fits you as your place of abode.Africa is full of so much filt. The things we defend reflects who we are.Yes I pray to be a Fashola one day but I will never pray to live in makoko
All people can't live in VI or Ikoyi ,in as much as ballot boxes ‎​And paper can get to‎​ them why not let the divident of democracy get to‎​ them too,‎​if diplacin them from where they have been living,working ,schooling is govt way of extending divident of democracy to‎​ them why can't they provide an alternativ abode for them?or is govt not of the people ?to‎​ better the life of the people?but govt in Lagos keep making the poor miserable

3 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by acidtalk: 4:42am On Aug 08, 2012
I tell people, Raji Fashola is a very deceitful, callous and greedy individual.

The guy used Lagosians and dumped them. He has absolutely NOT done anything in this his 2nd term as Chief Terrorist of Lagos state.

All the so called expansion of BRT projects, Housing projects, and the rest all went down the drain.

He is busy emptying the Lagos state treasury to beat his bosses record of looting.

This ACN and PDP politicians are the most devislish on planet earth.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 4:47am On Aug 08, 2012
Baba_Eleko: Lagos PDP have employed a sensible thinking writer. Though they have some good points but what Fashola did is not the worst yet. He is still on track.
We are talking about lives of people here ,u are bringing in politics?must we bring in politics into every thin we do?thank GOD you knw that write up is a true reflection of what's going on in Lagos...
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by tatosh: 5:06am On Aug 08, 2012
Did sum1 realy take time to write this piece? Damn!!! I feel sorry for you and the backwardness upon you oh poster. I have a lot to say to u but I just realised you might actually be a resident of Makoko and you're in pains.PELE!!
Next time you're looking for a house make sure you live in a government approved building like what normal people do. If you can't afford it please leave Lagos you silly goat!

4 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by alaoeri: 5:29am On Aug 08, 2012
Don't think a right thinking human 'll fault fashola on the good work done at oshodi. @topic absolute trash.

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by sdiq: 5:44am On Aug 08, 2012
WHY DOING THIS ON THE PAGE OF NEWS PAPER? YOU SHOULD HAVE SIMPLY WRITE FASHOLA I HATE! YOU...... COS THIS MAN OR WOMAN NEVER SEE ANY GOOD THING IN LAGOS AND FASHOLA, ABI NA MAIDUGURI YOU DEY STAY NI?
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by jawjaw1: 6:01am On Aug 08, 2012
@ Op in as much as I understand the pains of the sacked residents of Makoko I think you should also look at it from the side of the Lagos State government.
A group people go and occupy a certain place illegally and unchallenged for years then when government realizes that the place has become an embarassment and a security threat and decides to demolish the place, should they (govt) now relocate people who in the first place were occupying the place to be demolished illegally to a new place (that now becomes legal)?
If they do that, it simply means others can now feel that it is okay to occupy a place illegally because govt will relocate them when they need to demolish this place.
As a govt, you are simply setting a bad precedence. In plain sense, you are encouraging illegal settling!
Fashola's govt is making a statement to everyone, that if you occupy anywhere illegally you are doing so at your own risk.

From anoda point of view, and I have stated it here on Nairaland about a month or two ago. This is a typical case of us (govt and the governed) allowing things to get so bad that when someone rises up to take the bull by the horn and fix the mess, we all start to shout that he is inhuman. A very good example of this is the the Abuja and El-Rufai action of some years back. Today Abuja is better off for what he did.

acidtalk: I tell people, Raji Fashola is a very deceitful, callous and greedy individual.

The guy used Lagosians and dumped them. He has absolutely NOT done anything in this his 2nd term as Chief Terrorist of Lagos state.

All the so called expansion of BRT projects, Housing projects, and the rest all went down the drain.

He is busy emptying the Lagos state treasury to beat his bosses record of looting.

This ACN and PDP politicians are the most devislish on planet earth.

@Acidtalk, I lived in Lagos for 8+ years before I left and those of us who know where Lagos was coming from to be what it is now will continue to appreciate Fashola even though he does make some mistakes from time to time.
I still remember driving home from work late at nite thru some streets that were bad, dark and extremely dangerous at some point in time and seeing the road now completely repaired by Julius Berger with beautiful street lights and I unconsciously muttered 'God, bless Fashola!'. I am sure there are people on Nairaland who know what I am talking about. I am proud of him for giving Lagosians hope that a government in Nigeria can do what is necessary for the people.
So no matter what you think or say about him, you cant sway some of us that have experienced him. The man is a performer and a blessing to Lagos State.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Cocu13: 6:01am On Aug 08, 2012
Some people are so wicked, can't u feel d pains of others, we are not talkin abt politic, we are talkin abt human right, during election they are lagosian and ballot paper get 2 dem, but now they are no more lagosian, haha haba, Fashola it's unfair o.

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Cocu13: 6:07am On Aug 08, 2012
Just look @ d population of this people.

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Cocu13: 6:10am On Aug 08, 2012
Democrazy means government of the people by the people and 4 d people, fashola u are nt practisin democrazi
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Acidosis(m): 6:15am On Aug 08, 2012
If he wants to demolish and 'ambush' the entire Lagos, e nor consign me. .

The last time I used paracetamol for Lagosians headache on the BRT related thread, the number of insults was countless. . . Then I discovered that Lagos dwellers don't really give a damn about what happens to their neighbors. . an average person in Lagos prefers that glooming, and lively terrain. .as in streets made with gold, lights like stars over human development. .

I've discovered something. .

The more he works, the more the suffering. . .

3 Likes

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by birdman(m): 6:21am On Aug 08, 2012
Everybody wants Nigeria to develop, but nobody wants to change their ways. In which part of the world can you set up an illegal structure on land you do not own, and then demand compensation when the owners, govt in this case, chase you off. I would rather that "relocation" money be used to build amenities for law abiding citizens. When an epidemic breaks out in Lagos because of those squalid conditions, or a good sized storm drowns a lot of the squatters, the same naysayers will be parading nairaland talking about how nothing works.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Can't Comply With The Constitution & Function Properly- Buhari / Invitation: President Muhammadu Buhari Wedding Is Tommorow. Pic / More Nigerians, Africans Will Fall Into Extreme Poverty, World Bank Predicts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.