Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? (92022 Views)

Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 07, 2015
muafrika:
I am.
And you could be right too. We speak different according to sub tribes.
You mean you are different i always thought the Luhyas were one tribe like the Gikuyu, although maybe it's Bukusu. I think the way you are different is like the way Kikuyu, kiMeru and kiEmbu are and to a small extent kiKamba, i can understand kiKamba up to about 70%, kiEmbu is just like Kikuyu but with a funny accent grin and kiMeru is like a really difficult Kikuyu dialect with a funny accent undecided (like the kiamu dialect of kiswahili in Lamu) and i can understand it up to maybe 85%.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 3:08am On Apr 08, 2015
pkjag:

You mean you are different i always thought the Luhyas were one tribe like the Gikuyu, although maybe it's Bukusu. I think the way you are different is like the way Kikuyu, kiMeru and kiEmbu are and to a small extent kiKamba, i can understand kiKamba up to about 70%, kiEmbu is just like Kikuyu but with a funny accent grin and kiMeru is like a really difficult Kikuyu dialect with a funny accent undecided (like the kiamu dialect of kiswahili in Lamu) and i can understand it up to maybe 85%.
That's exactly it,

There are many of them too. Some experts have argued that some of the sub tribes are so different as to warrant a classification as a bona fide separate ethnic group. For example mine, it's closer and more related to Isukha, Tiriki and maragoli, while being starkly different from others like Bukusu. We also have different origins. The Tiriki for example is born out of a similar Kalenjin word Terige which is a Kalenjin clan or sth. The Sub tribe was founded by a Kalenjin. They live side by side at the border and their culture is more related compared to relation with other Luhyas.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 08, 2015
muafrika:
That's exactly it,
There are many of them too. Some experts have argued that some of the sub tribes are so different as to warrant a classification as a bona fide separate ethnic group. For example mine, it's closer and more related to Isukha, Tiriki and maragoli, while being starkly different from others like Bukusu. We also have different origins. The Tiriki for example is born out of a similar Kalenjin word Terige which is a Kalenjin clan or sth. The Sub tribe was founded by a Kalenjin. They live side by side at the border and their culture is more related compared to relation with other Luhyas.
You guys have heavily intermarried with the Kalenjins and the Luos, what about those on the Luo side, those who call the Luo shemeji, the Abasuba? grin
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 08, 2015
pkjag:

You guys have heavily intermarried with the Kalenjins and the Luos, what about those on the Luo side, those who call the Luo shemeji, the Abasuba? grin
Those are part of the Luhya community too. They are so secluded from the rest of us in the Suba islands. These have intermarried a lot with the Luo, Same with the tachoni, and even other borderline Luhyas like Maragoli and Kabrass. I had some relatives with names like Otieno which makes me suspect that there is a Luo Element in Idakho (mine) too. In the Kaka mega area, Kalenjins make the greatest contribution to the mixture, in addition to other surrounding and founding tribelines.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
muafrika:
Those are part of the Luhya community too. They are so secluded from the rest of us in the Suba islands. These have intermarried a lot with the Luo, Same with the tachoni, and even other borderline Luhyas like Maragoli and Kabrass. I had some relatives with names like Otieno which makes me suspect that there is a Luo Element in Idakho (mine) too. In the Kaka mega area, Kalenjins make the greatest contribution to the mixture, in addition to other surrounding and founding tribelines.
So who are the real Luhyas, the really bantu ones, also do you all have a Nabongo? I also noticed that the Kisii are not that mixed like you are, i am not sure about that though, but i am really interested in the western bantus.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 08, 2015
pkjag:

So who are the real Luhyas, the really bantu ones, also do you all have a Nabongo? I also noticed that the Kisii are not that mixed like you are, i am not sure about that though, but i am really interested in the western bantus.
Good question.

The Bukusu call the rest of us imposters, especially those from Kakamega. But interestingly, they prefer to be called Bukusu rather than Luhya (The name is recent, just like other categories of ethnicity like "Bantu. "wink I suspect they are the more bona fide Bantu representatives of the Luhya community. The settlers must have intermarried with their children.

It's funny you mentioned Nabongo. That was a colonizer representative from the buganda Kingdom of Uganda. I am not sure if that is when the subdued kingdoms of the area started speaking the almost homogeneous Luhya or whether it was when they settled amongst the Original Luhyas and decided to fully assimilate.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 08, 2015
I've always wondered about the Kisii origins.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 08, 2015
I also think so coz of their famous circumcision ceremonies which i do not see other Luhyas partake in. And do you have the same names as the Bukusu? Also how close is the Luhya language to Luganda?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2015
pkjag:
I also think so coz of their famous circumcision ceremonies which i do not see other Luhyas partake in. And do you have the same names as the Bukusu? Also how close is the Luhya language to Luganda?
Yes, you observed right. Cultural practices, especially initiation is where the differences are stark. In mine the circumcision is done in the cold, wee hours of the morning at a riverbank after the initiates take a freezing bath. For the bukusu I believe it's done just outside the house.

The names and naming are different. The Bukusu name according to seasons and events. On the other hand, our names are passed down from departed ancestors. For that reason, we have names whose meaning are not known as they are passed down from a different era when probably, our ancestors spoke something different from what we do now.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
Luganda is closer to Bukusu than the rest. But it is not so far from Luhya, generally.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 10, 2015
muafrika:
Luganda is closer to Bukusu than the rest. But it is not so far from Luhya, generally.
What county are the Bukusu mostly concentrated in, also can you tell the difference btn u guys with just a name?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

What county are the Bukusu mostly concentrated in, also can you tell the difference btn u guys with just a name?
Not sure about distribution of the Bukusu between Kenya and Uganda.

Definitely. Names can Identify the different Luhya tribes. My name is not only unique to my subtribe but also to my clan. And you know clan relations are so strict and close that members of a clan are not allowed to intermarry.

You know bukusu names. Girls names start with "Na" while males start with "wa" for most of them. e.g Wamalwa, Wanjala, ....Nasimiyu...

The other tribes similarly have names unique to just them, and since the naming is patrilineal, it's quite easy to keep certain names within specific clans or tribes.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Apr 10, 2015
muafrika:

Not sure about distribution of the Bukusu between Kenya and Uganda.
Definitely. Names can Identify the different Luhya tribes. My name is not only unique to my subtribe but also to my clan. And you know clan relations are so strict and close that members of a clan are not allowed to intermarry.
You know bukusu names. Girls names start with "Na" while males start with "wa" for most of them. e.g Wamalwa, Wanjala, ....Nasimiyu...
The other tribes similarly have names unique to just them, and since the naming is patrilineal, it's quite easy to keep certain names within specific clans or tribes.

Not the country but the counties, yes i've heard about the clan system, not sure if it's in my tribe but i'll find out.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 2:40pm On Apr 10, 2015
Can any one tell me if the word "Olu" has any relative meaning in Bantu languages? I ask this because I see so many tribes around Uganda bearing names starting with "Olu"
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2015
TonySpike:
Can any one tell me if the word "Olu" has any relative meaning in Bantu languages? I ask this because I see so many tribes around Uganda bearing names starting with "Olu"
Can you give an example, Uganda also has some Nilotes and they have many words and names starting with O, for Bantus, i can't say they are many, not that i know of, but the ones with words starting with Os, have had some contact with the Nilotes, I can say that most do not have names starting with O (At least the ones i am familiar with).
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 3:14pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

Can you give an example, Uganda also has some Nilotes and they have many words and names starting with O, for Bantus, i can't say they are many, not that i know of, but the ones with words starting with Os, have had some contact with the Nilotes, I can say that most do not have names starting with O (At least the ones i am familiar with).

I believe Luos from Kenya are also Nilotes. My research shows that Luos and Yorubas have almost 65% of their surnames starting with O's and A's. I suspect these language groups might have branched off from the same family at least two millennia ago...
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2015
TonySpike:

I believe Luos from Kenya are also Nilotes. My research shows that Luos and Yorubas have almost 65% of their surnames starting with O's and A's. I suspect these language groups might have branched off from the same family at least two millennia ago...
Yes the Luos are the Os in East Africa, they are known as River-lake Nilotes because they dwell mainly along the Nile and the Lake Victoria and other water systems in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, South Sudan and Ethiopia. But i do not think they were ever in contact, they came from South Sudan like all Nilotes, also their looks are pretty distinct, they are dark and lean, with square jaws, and high cheek bones, but they have intermarried with the surrounding bantu tribes and that look is almost disappearing, they have also influenced the Luhyas and some Kisiis who are the few bantus with some O starting names. If they were ever in contact then maybe the Yorubas would have had to have been in the Sudan at some point.

There are also the highland Nilotes like the Kalenjin who are famous for representing Kenya in athletics, they don't have that many Os, they live in the rift valley highlands and are few of the nilotes who are farmers, then there are the plains Nilotes who are nomads and pastoralists such as the Maasai, Samburu, etc, these also have some Os.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 3:33pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

Yes the Luos are the Os in East Africa, but i do not think they were ever in contact, they came from South Sudan like all Nilotes, also their looks are pretty distinct, they are dark and lean, with square jaws, and high cheek bones, but they have intermarried with the surrounding bantu tribes and that look is almost disappearing, they have also influenced the Luhyas and some Kisiis who are the few bantus with some O starting names. If they were ever in contact then maybe the Yorubas would have had to have been in the Sudan at some point.

Yes, at your last sentence, I believe quite a number of Yoruba ancestors came from Sudan. This is unmistakenbly true in all entirety. I would also state further that Western Sudan seems to be the focal point. However, the use of O's and A's in Yoruba languages and names is quite widespread. Could there have been an ancient colonisation of some sort to warrant this? What is your opinion of this?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 10, 2015
TonySpike:

Yes, at your last sentence, I believe quite a number of Yoruba ancestors came from Sudan. This is unmistakenbly true in all entirety. I would also state further that Western Sudan seems to be the focal point. However, the use of O's and A's in Yoruba languages and names is quite widespread. Could there have been an ancient colonisation of some sort to warrant this? What is your opinion of this?
I thought all west africans have always been in west africa or the once forested Sahara, i also see that the Igbos have quite alot of Os and Chs, if they did come from Sudan then maybe they had contact, but they look so different so it might have been pre-B.C, avery long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 3:43pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

I thought all west africans have always been in west africa or the once forested Sahara, i also see that the Igbos have quite alot of Os and Chs, if they did come from Sudan then maybe they had contact, but they look so different so it might have been pre-B.C, avery long time ago.
You're correct.
Many, if not the majority of, Igbo surnames begin with "O" and many, with "A".
"Ch" is more for first names.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 10, 2015
somegirl1:

You're correct.
Many, if not the majority of, Igbo surnames begin with "O" and many, with "A".
"Ch" is more for first names.
What about this story i hear that the Igbos came from Israel grin is it true?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by somegirl1: 3:53pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

Don't know, don't care, to be honest.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 3:54pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

I used the word colonisation earlier to state that I do indeed have the knowledge that there were indigenous population in this part of West Africa prior to the arrival of Sudanese population. I however believe that the population was meagre compared to the population of the Sudanese migrants that later came in waves. Yeah, all these things most have happened pre-A.D. (not B.C.). I would think roughly 1500-2000 B.C. since there are no archealogical evidences to point to this fact.

Now, let's go back to the Bantu topic. What religious similarities do Bantus have with ancient Egypt? Are there any identifiable practices?
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 3:56pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

My opinion is that in ancient times - Sudan, Ethiopia, Egypt alongside the levant areas - did share some religious and cultural practices. Infact, there were numerous of them. It is very possible that some of these similarities came from migrants of that period and not directly from Israel.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Apr 10, 2015
TonySpike:

I used the word colonisation earlier to state that I do indeed have the knowledge that there were indigenous population in this part of West Africa prior to the arrival of Sudanese population. I however believe that the population was meagre compared to the population of the Sudanese migrants that later came in waves. Yeah, all these things most have happened pre-A.D. (not B.C.). I would think roughly 1500-2000 B.C. since there are no archealogical evidences to point to this fact.
Now, let's go back to the Bantu topic. What religious similarities do Bantus have with ancient Egypt? Are there any identifiable practices?
Yes thanks for correcting its pre-AD, but where were the Nilotes before that, and i thought the Yoruba were yam farmers, west Sudan is a desert, the only fertile lands are near the Nile which is in the central and eastern parts of the greater Sudan region.

If i know my bantu tribes well, most are/were ancestral worshipers who mostly had monotheist tendencies, we do not have deities like you west africans, for example the Gikuyu, Meru, Embu and Akamba bantus in kenya believe that God lived in Mount Kenya and the Chagga of Tanzania believe that their God lived in Mt. Kilimanjaro. Though things might have been different for the initial bantus who were coming out of cameroon, it's impossible to know what they believed before they started meeting other tribes who influenced their way of life, but one thing that hasn't changed is farming.

TonySpike:

My opinion is that in ancient times - Sudan, Ethiopia, Egypt alongside the levant areas - did share some religious and cultural practices. Infact, there were numerous of them. It is very possible that some of these similarities came from migrants of that period and not directly from Israel.
Maybe but that must have been a very long time ago, besides they have distinct asian like features different from other afrcans due to their proximity to asia, so i think the asian element influenced them greatly.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 4:41pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

Yes thanks for correcting its pre-AD, but where were the Nilotes before that, and i thought the Yoruba were yam farmers, west Sudan is a desert, the only fertile lands are near the Nile which is in the central and eastern parts of the greater Sudan region.

If i know my bantu tribes well, most are/were ancestral worshipers who mostly had monotheist tendencies, we do not have deities like you west africans, for example the Gikuyu, Meru, Embu and Akamba bantus in kenya believe that God lived in Mount Kenya and the Chagga of Tanzania believe that their God lived in Mt. Kilimanjaro. Though things might have been different for the initial bantus who were coming out of cameroon, it's impossible to know what they believed before they started meeting other tribes who influenced their way of life, but one thing that hasn't changed is farming.

Maybe but that must have been a very long time ago, besides they have distinct asian like features different from other afrcans due to their proximity to asia, so i think the asian element influenced them greatly.

Read this interesting piece. It might give you more perspective. I'll continue the discussions when i get home.

https://www.nairaland.com/1530367/when-arabian-peninsula-northeast-africa
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 4:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
Y'all might also be astonished that most parts of Northern Africa (Sahara inclusive) was once a prosperous stretch of farmland circa 6000 BC.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 10, 2015
So what you are saying is that there existed a civilization known as Kerma that predated even ancient khemet, i have seen many of this guy's posts is he an anthropoligist/archaeologist?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:

Not the country but the counties, yes i've heard about the clan system, not sure if it's in my tribe but i'll find out.
Bungoma, County. They share it with the smaller tTeso community (Nilotes) who are also spread out between Kenya and Uganda.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by TonySpike: 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2015
pkjag:
So what you are saying is that there existed a civilization known as Kerma that predated even ancient khemet, i have seen many of this guy's posts is he an anthropoligist/archaeologist?
Yes, I believe that the ancient dwellers of Sahara were the long-lost ancestors of the Bantus and Nilotes. They very much existed before a differentiated migration occurred due to dried-up Sahara. As a confirmation, I understand some parts of Sudan are still marshy till date. Infact, Lake Chad was about 25 times its current size some 8,000 years ago. I think a major climatic change altered the migration patterns.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 10, 2015
TonySpike:
That would definitely be a prefix for words in reference to an object for many bantu languages including mine.
Re: Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
muafrika:

Bungay County. They share it with the smaller tTeso community (Nilotes) who are also spread out between Kenya and Uganda.
The teso are nilotes? I have a teso friend called Barasa/baraza, i thought it was a luhya name, what does it mean, cause its like everywhere in luhyaland. Is that Bungoma county?
muafrika:
That would definitely be a prefix for words in reference to an object for many bantu languages including mine.
Not mine, i think its for the tribes that had relatively long contact with the Nilotes or other groups, the central and coastal bantus do not have any word starting with O, not even the zulus, or any other tribe other than the Luhyas, kisiis and maybe the Baganda (correct me if i am wrong). If there are, they must be very very few, at least not that i know of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty) / Igbo Attire And Its Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.