Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria (34989 Views)

How Government Can Curb Unemployment In Nigeria / Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria / Ict Is Solution To Unemployment – Zinox Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 4:51am On Dec 19, 2007
The solution to unemployment in Nigeria is EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION.
Singapore has the best students in the world because it hires the best college students to be primary school teachers.

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9989914

So in order to reduce unemployment of student graduates, the nigerian govts should employ them as teachers and pay them very handsomely (they say everybody has a price).
Each primary school teacher must have a masters degree and must go to teaching school on a state scholarship.
The Nigerian public school system has enough pathetic teachers, some of whom can't even speak good english and for some reason they are teaching our kids english.
No teacher should have anything less than a two one classification and they should be top of their classes.
The teachers should also sign contracts (10 years) with the state to avoid early departures so they don't flee after a couple of months on the job.
The teachers too should be very highly paid, i am not saying like millionaires but enough to get married have a car and build a comfortable house. Also, teachers who teach in rural areas should be paid more and they should be given extra benefits.
All teachers should also be paid based on there performances and effort and should be paid on an hourly basis, the more they work, the more they get paid.

Nigerians unfortunately think that the erection of big infrastructure and glossy buildings is called "development". Development is when the standard of living of its citizens is very high and when there is an equal income distribution amongst the populace.
So instead of the govt spending money on building unnecessary infrastructure like 4bn naira skscrapers and stadiums in abuja thinking that it would make them developed, they should focus on developing human talent which would advertently lead to industrialization and the creation of high-tech industries in the country.
Nigeria has a hugely unnecessary bureaucracy; we have 19 ministries most of which are useless like ministry of women affairs and the ministry of youth affairs, most of this ministries should be scrapped, there should only be 7 ministries, and 30% of nigeria's GNP should be spent on education as supposed to just 0.6% (yes, even Somalia spends more on education). Only then would Nigeria ease its way into the most developed countries not spending money on projects left and right.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by jayvin01: 4:56am On Dec 19, 2007
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by babasin(m): 8:14am On Dec 19, 2007
The solution to unemployment in Nigeria is EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION.

I disagree. This is solution to unemployment for individuals but not NIGERIA.

This is why many educated Nigerians are leaving everyday; there is GREEN pasture somewhere else.

where is the jobs NIGERIA has in place? they would rather steal money, give contract to incomptent people etc
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:16am On Dec 19, 2007
I disagree. This is solution to unemployment for individuals but not NIGERIA.
1) Individuals make a nation, oga. If we all get employed individually, the problem is solved.
2) I'm talking about the possession of relevant and marketable skills, not paper qualifications!
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by WesleyanA(f): 9:00am On Dec 19, 2007
education (formal) isn't the ultimate solution to unemployment in Nigeria.

i think providing blue collar jobs will help a lot more. then maybe they can make enough money to send their kids to school.
majority of jobs are blue collar anyways.

i don't think it's possible to have a country with just book smarts. if that was the case, America won't be admitting millions of cheap labor immigrant workers from other countries.

education helps though. definitely.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by folahann(m): 12:11pm On Dec 19, 2007
Yeah! All we go to school to learn is to how seek job, the education system should be made for us to be able to create jobs and not seeking job. There should more focus on the vocational aspect of education and not everybody wanting to be doctor, banker and so on.
Overpopulation is another big problem; Nigeria has the highest population in Africa and the government does not know what to do.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by oldie(m): 12:20pm On Dec 19, 2007
There are too many graduates who are seeking employment in predetermined "Grade A" companies - Telecoms, Banks, Oil & Gas etc
They spend 2-5 years trying to get employed in these sectors. At the end of the day, they become dated, un-employable and frustrated.
The largest employers of labour are the SMEs and MMEs.
Most of our young graduates shun these sectors, they'll rather escape somewhere to do some demeaning jobs.

Education is still very important. I will rather have an educated taxi driver than an uneducated one.!
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by oldie(m): 3:27pm On Dec 19, 2007
Posted by: akacool
"I have ever wounder if one can make money from surfing the net in Nigeria order than doing yahoo yahoo. I just discovered that my intelligent can fetch me money from internet at www.hitwev.com where I answered a set of 15 question and won 20,000. I encourage Nigeria youth to visit this site and be free from yahoo yahoo that is spoiling our name , from akachi 08060738434"

This is the type of schemes that make our youths un-employable
There are no free dinners my friend.
And where are you getting the next 20,000 from?
Get yourself something tangible to do
Hardwork does not kill!
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:57pm On Dec 19, 2007
Education is no where near the solution in Nigeria.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Depilot(m): 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2007
home made investors must be encouraged and treated with respect. this will only motivate more potential home made investors to invest with no hesitation. it will also encourage children in general to also want to contribute at all levels. this is also one of the reasons why i find it very difficult to comprehend why mike adenugua was being harassed. this man has done a lot not only in nigeria, but in africa. he continues to share and produce employment opportunities to college graduates all across africa. finally when it comes to technology africans no longer have to venture out of africa for opportunities. opportunities are being cooked heavily in africa. as a matter of fact africans in foreign land are looking to come back home to show off their talent by working for technical organizations all across africa. this type of spirit and powerful drive (mike) should be protected at all cost. and i think nigeria has finally gotten the message. just imagine liberia with just 5 people with that kind of deep vision of mike, i know that we will be flying high.
mike alone is producing close to 10,000 employment opportunities in africa and this number continues to increase day by day. dangoti is another power house and i'm sure there are also numbers of no name out there. we must joint hands in africa and look out for one another. manufacturing market is heading back to africa and home made investors should triple the current number by 2011. I think encouragement, strong support and profound vision within ourselves is the answer.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 11:32pm On Dec 19, 2007
@folahann
The problem with Nigeria is not the population, in fact its an advantage, only if used in the right way. If Nigeria is able to properly educate her population, it would be an economic power a la USA, china and india. The big problem now is that our leaders don't see that education is very vital to Nigeria in the long run. Our educational system (especially at the university level) needs to be seriously updated, our primary and secondary education should be geared away from cramming information (Ababio textbook) to creative thinking. Education at the university level is not producing enough enterprenuers (pronounced as unt-uprur-nor not enta-pre-nior) in the business fields and in the science field its much worse, the informations is so diluted and watery, our kids are using outdated information (1960 textbooks). Also, we need to shift our educational system towards application not cramming textbooks for final exams that are worth 70% of your grades. The infrastructure for research is even lacking, the equipments are not even there. College students don't even know how to use a computer talkless of Microsoft Excel, and you wonder why contracts are awarded to foreign companies. There are so many things that you can't do without software these days like civil engineering, computer engineering and just about every college course including journalism.

Let me get one thing straight, natural resources like oil never made a country rich, its industrialization. How many high-tech industries (electronics, semi-conductor, ICP's, semi-processors, chip manufacturing, software) do we have? How many heavy industries (ship manufacturing, train manufacturing, aero space manufacturing, car manufacturing) do we have? The state should lead an industrialization drive like Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia did, instead of building skyscrapers to beautify abuja or building some "Tinapa" resort in calabar and praying for foreign investors to come down from heaven. Wetin oyinbo man fit do wey we no fit do also.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by femo2000(m): 11:44pm On Dec 19, 2007
The solution to unempolyment in Nigeria are as follws

1 let there be electricity 24-7-365 and watch the ripple effect in just 12 months

2 Get all the states of Nigeria Networked by rail Transportation and sue me if unenployment does not crash by 50% in 12 months

3 get interest rate as low as 7% per annum and sue me if unenployment does not crash by 70% in 12 months

4 Terminate molue operation in Lagos and Nationwide

5 get the schools working but no free education

6 let no chinese or indian be involved in farming or trading in Nigeria. Let them establish production plants and produce finished product in Nigeria

I promise u if all of d above is in place, Nigeria will rule the world by 2015

Yes its going to work smiley smiley smiley
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 11:51pm On Dec 19, 2007
There is no elixir to fix unemployment.Economic growth lowers unemployment.So tackling unemployment entails implementing growth-friendly policies
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 11:53pm On Dec 19, 2007
In order to help those in the countryside (rural areas), Agriculture is the solution. The govt needs to subsidise agriculture by providing farmers with free seeds, free fertilizers and free tractors to plow there land, whoever performs well is given more land. Also, the govt should provide free harvesters, free vehicles and a great means of transportation including great road networks from the villages to the cities, and a good railway network to different areas around the country avoid the clogging of roads. Also, the fed. govts should provide electricity and clean water for people in those areas. It should also levy taxes on farmers so that it can use it for free compulsory education for primary and secondary school students. The wiring of electricity in the rural areas would help boost local (light) industries like textile manufacturing and food processing. This would lead to reverse migration because the kids who have gone to the  cities to look for work only to find none (and ended up being "agberos" and "ashewos") would come back to the villages.
Also, the govt needs to levy taxes on those who own property or businesses in the urban areas (cities) and abolishing taxes on property and businesses in the rural areas so that  people would start migrating to the rural areas instead of clogging up our cities (e.g Lagos). This is how the govt should promote businesses in the rural areas.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by femo2000(m): 12:05am On Dec 20, 2007
@davidif
did u read my post at all, we dont need any thing free from Govt. we only need the write operating environment thats all.
U are in the US read all of my post and tell me which one is not present in the US.

when did the US gov give farmers free tractors e t c. what farmers need in Nigeria is enabling environment, assurance that at the end of harvest their produce will not be left to spoil, they can easily get grant in case of disease outbreak like the recent Afrcan Swine Fever that struck and farmers lost all their stock and left with no help from any quater.

Please read my previous post and let me have ur opinion
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 12:11am On Dec 20, 2007
@femo
Free education at the primary and secondary level is a basic human right. That is a long term solution to armed robbery. There are a lot of people who can't afford free education in naija, you probably don't see them, because to you they don't exist, but just go to the slums of any city in naija and you would know what i'm talking about. It would cost soooooo much to connect every state with a railway. There should also be access to credit (capital) and by the way how high is Nigeria's interest rate? If its higher than 4%, that should be a be a travesty. Oh what pathetic leaders we have. It seems to me that Nigeria is just worried about appreciating the naira compared to the $ instead of using our low value currency to our advantage (see Japan). When Nigeria starts exploring high-tech products to the rest of the world like electronics, our devalued naira would make us competitive compared to the $, but first of all, we have to produce something that the rest of the world wants. Oil is simply not going to cut it.
Vocational and "blue collar" jobs don't make countries rich, economic power houses, its high-tech industries that do. Like i said the govt should lead a state led industrialization drive, starting with simple, basic technology from the East (Aba boys and their electronics).
@Kobojunkie
you said that Education is not going to solve nigeria's problems, just go see what all the developed countries in the world have in common then come and tell me if education is not worth it. Where do you think our future "Einsteins" are going to come from? Our future Donald Trumps, Bill Gates, nano-technologists, and MIT graduates are selling groundnut, robbing people, working on farms, or even extorting money (area boys), when are we going to teach this kids and harness there potential?
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 12:12am On Dec 20, 2007
@femo
They have free education and $125 billion subsidies for there farmers.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:56am On Dec 20, 2007
davidif:

@femo
Free education at the primary and secondary level is a basic human right. That is a long term solution to armed robbery. There are a lot of people who can't afford free education in naija, you probably don't see them, because to you they don't exist, but just go to the slums of any city in naija and you would know what i'm talking about. It would cost soooooo much to connect every state with a railway. There should also be access to credit (capital) and by the way how high is Nigeria's interest rate? If its higher than 4%, that should be a be a travesty. Oh what pathetic leaders we have. It seems to me that Nigeria is just worried about appreciating the naira compared to the $ instead of using our low value currency to our advantage (see Japan). When Nigeria starts exploring high-tech products to the rest of the world like electronics, our devalued naira would make us competitive compared to the $, but first of all, we have to produce something that the rest of the world wants. Oil is simply not going to cut it.
Vocational and "blue collar" jobs don't make countries rich, economic power houses, its high-tech industries that do. Like i said the govt should lead a state led industrialization drive, starting with simple, basic technology from the East (Aba boys and their electronics).
@Kobojunkie
you said that Education is not going to solve nigeria's problems, just go see what all the developed countries in the world have in common then come and tell me if education is not worth it. Where do you think our future "Einsteins" are going to come from? Our future Donald Trumps, Bill Gates, nano-technologists, and MIT graduates are selling groundnut, robbing people, working on farms, or even extorting money (area boys), when are we going to teach this kids and harness there potential?

I will say it again. Education is not going to solve anything in that country and I will even add that I agree with folahann when he says FREE this and that is not the solution in Nigeria. Last thing we need is to extend the wait on AWOOF! from government. Infact, I believe that waiting for government to give us this and that is the reason why we are were we are today.

To my point on why I believe Education is not the solution in that country, I point to the fact that in the south, we have plenty of unemployed graduates who are today armed robbers. We have more and ore of the active criminals also holders of Bachelors and advanced degrees. Most of the corrupt leaders we have in that country are well educated. Educating more people will not make the problem go away. Looking at the advanced world as you say I should. I see that most of the businesses, infact, billions in american dollars are handled by companies started by people who barely finished high school at the time they started their businesses. Infact, most of them had to wait till later on to finish up and then gvet an advanced degree. The average Nigerian needs opportunities more than he/she needs education at this point. Education can come down the line but open the door and make them to see it is time to change or be left behind and we will slowly reverse the situation in that country.

We need to start implementing solutions we can afford to maintain and make sure that we do not open the door to more problems. In the case of the farmers, sure the government can help but I am sure providing good roads, good water, access to good seeds and electricity would go along way in alleviating the current problems of these farmers than providing them the other things on your list would. Many of them are not looking to compete with the rest of the world at this time, infact many are just farming cause it is last resort for them but when these basic amenities become available, I am sure these farmers will know then if they want to grow bigger or remain small and then and only then do I believe subsidies will help push the farming industry into the global frontier.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 12:11am On Dec 21, 2007
@kobojunkie
oya then, i have already stated my points. You state your own very clear points on how nigeria can move forward instead of your generic points like "We need to start implementing solutions we can afford to maintain and make sure that we do not open the door to more problems".

At least give me 10 clear points for Nigeria to move forward. I said a state led industrialization drive only possible by education would do the job but you disagree otherwise.
If Nigerian graduates are unemployed isn't that telling you something that our educational system is not practical but theoretical, that our colleges are not making our students enterpreneurs, that you have students who can't even create a micro-electronic device and they call themselves "electrical engineers", that you have students who can't write a JAVA or C++ program talkless of developing there own software and they call themselves computer scientists. As far as i am concerned, if you have a college degree and you're not capable of starting your own business or branching out on your own, then your education is useless. Our college professors spend time giving our kids too much info. (textbooks) to cram but the students can't apply it to the real world, there is no research done in the universities whatsoever, the profs are busy passing handouts and sleeping with students. Let me put this pomp and plainly, if you're an architect and you can't start your own business after college then your degree is worthless, my roommates here use big time software programs for architecture design meanwhile those in UNILAG are still using T-square and compass, the same goes for civil engineering. This shows that we urgently need to overhaul our university educational system. College kids here are given projects to come up with something new or to design something in there senior class, i don't know whether they do that at Ohio State grin grin grin but they probably do at Michigan tongue .
I believe the govt should create industries like i said earlier: heavy industries and light industries. The heavy industries would require LOTS of skilled personnel (hence the free education), we would need a lot engineers and other scientists than we have now, thereby reducing unemployment. In naija we have a ministry of industry but all they do is embezzle money.
Also, most important of all should be the access to credit or loans for anybody who wants to start a business, in other words, if i want to start a business today, all i would need to do is go to the bank and get loans and tomorrow i am open, instead of going to all the ministries and bribing everybody to the top.
Also, like i said earlier, the govt needs to slash interest rate to at least 4%, we need to capitalize on the low value of our currency like Japan did making there exports desirable to the rest of the world, instead of hiking interest rates so that the naira would appreciate towards the dollar (which is absurd). Now the problem is finding something to produce that the rest of the world wants like hi-tech products, agriculture is just not going to cut it in the mordern day economy.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Dec 21, 2007
davidif:

@kobojunkie
oya then, i have already stated my points. You state your own very clear points on how nigeria can move forward instead of your generic points like "We need to start implementing solutions we can afford to maintain and make sure that we do not open the door to more problems".

At least give me 10 clear points for Nigeria to move forward. I said a state led industrialization drive only possible by education would do the job but you disagree otherwise.
If Nigerian graduates are unemployed isn't that telling you something that our educational system is not practical but theoretical, that our colleges are not making our students enterpreneurs, that you have students who can't even create a micro-electronic device and they call themselves "electrical engineers", that you have students who can't write a JAVA or C++ program talkless of developing there own software and they call themselves computer scientists. As far as i am concerned, if you have a college degree and you're not capable of starting your own business or branching out on your own, then your education is useless. Our college professors spend time giving our kids too much info. (textbooks) to cram but the students can't apply it to the real world, there is no research done in the universities whatsoever, the profs are busy passing handouts and sleeping with students. Let me put this pomp and plainly, if you're an architect and you can't start your own business after college then your degree is worthless, my roommates here use big time software programs for architecture design meanwhile those in UNILAG are still using T-square and compass, the same goes for civil engineering. This shows that we urgently need to overhaul our university educational system. College kids here are given projects to come up with something new or to design something in there senior class, i don't know whether they do that at Ohio State grin grin grin but they probably do at Michigan tongue .
I believe the govt should create industries like i said earlier: heavy industries and light industries. The heavy industries would require LOTS of skilled personnel (hence the free education), we would need a lot engineers and other scientists than we have now, thereby reducing unemployment. In naija we have a ministry of industry but all they do is embezzle money.
Also, most important of all should be the access to credit or loans for anybody who wants to start a business, in other words, if i want to start a business today, all i would need to do is go to the bank and get loans and tomorrow i am open, instead of going to all the ministries and bribing everybody to the top.
Also, like i said earlier, the govt needs to slash interest rate to at least 4%, we need to capitalize on the low value of our currency like Japan did making there exports desirable to the rest of the world, instead of hiking interest rates so that the naira would appreciate towards the dollar (which is absurd). Now the problem is finding something to produce that the rest of the world wants like hi-tech products, agriculture is just not going to cut it in the mordern day economy.

Kobojunkie:

I will say it again. Education is not going to solve anything in that country and I will even add that I agree with folahann when he says FREE this and that is not the solution in Nigeria. Last thing we need is to extend the wait on AWOOF! from government. Infact, I believe that waiting for government to give us this and that is the reason why we are were we are today.

To my point on why I believe Education is not the solution in that country, I point to the fact that in the south, we have plenty of unemployed graduates who are today armed robbers. We have more and ore of the active criminals also holders of Bachelors and advanced degrees. Most of the corrupt leaders we have in that country are well educated. Educating more people will not make the problem go away. Looking at the advanced world as you say I should. I see that most of the businesses, infact, billions in american dollars are handled by companies[i] started by people who barely finished high school [/i] at the time they started their businesses. Infact, most of them had to wait till later on to finish up and then gvet an advanced degree. The average Nigerian needs opportunities more than he/she needs education at this point. Education can come down the line but open the door and make them to see it is time to change or be left behind and we will slowly reverse the situation in that country.

We need to start implementing solutions we can afford to maintain and make sure that we do not open the door to more problems. In the case of the farmers, sure the government can help but I am sure providing good roads, good water, access to good seeds and electricity would go along way in alleviating the current problems of these farmers than providing them the other things on your list would. Many of them are not looking to compete with the rest of the world at this time, infact many are just farming cause it is last resort for them but when these basic amenities become available, I am sure these farmers will know then if they want to grow bigger or remain small and then and only then do I believe subsidies will help push the farming industry into the global frontier.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by EmekaNaija(m): 6:50am On Dec 21, 2007
The solution to unemployment in Nigeria is ELECTRICITY. Give Nigerians electricity and most dead industries would come back to life employing the jobless. When people see they have a realistic chance of getting employed after school, then they would be encouraged to go to school. Electricity would also motivate most people to be self employed e.g Artisans, technology innovation etc.

If all oil money in one single year can be channeled to fixing our electricity then i'm coming back to Naija with the next available flight.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Dec 21, 2007
EmekaNaija:

The solution to unemployment in Nigeria is ELECTRICITY. Give Nigerians electricity and most dead industries would come back to life employing the jobless. When people see they have a realistic chance of getting employed after school, then they would be encouraged to go to school. Electricity would also motivate most people to be self employed e.g Artisans, technology innovation etc.

If all oil money in one single year can be channeled to fixing our electricity then i'm coming back to Naija with the next available flight.
'

I agree. People need the basics. You provide the basics, sit back and watch that country grow in a matter of years, even months, things will change so fast the government will have to work three times harder to keep up.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by DeepSoul(f): 6:41pm On Dec 21, 2007
@Kobojunkie

And people do not need to get educated to know how to fix electricity?

Are there people who are born with knowledge on how the power sector works?

Or were you?

Learn to look at the big picture.

Education it is. Unarguably
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2007
Deep Soul:

@Kobojunkie

And people do not need to get educated to know how to fix electricity?

Are there people who are born with knowledge on how the power sector works?

Or were you?

Learn to look at the big picture.

Education it is. Unarguably

Please read up before shooting off. We already have people there who have the skills. They do not have the jobs. On the job training is way better than all the education you can decide to stuff down the people's throats. Back in the 80's you could say that Education was the number one problem in Nigeria but today that is no longer the case. We have more educated people per capita than we can boast of actual working people. Look around you. The man next door does not need to be told he needs another master's degree, what he needs is an opportunity to put to use what he already knows. If he needs to get an advanced degree afterwards, then he will cross that bridge when he gets there.

At least know your own people. Many of these do not need to be told to go get Extra degrees or certificates. Many already have them boku. They need jobs and opportunities to put them to use.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by EmekaNaija(m): 8:10pm On Dec 21, 2007
@Deep Soul

If i understood the thread correctly, it asks for the solution to unemployment in Nigeria. I do not think it asked for the Solution to Nigeria's problems.
Education cannot be a solution to unemployment because there are more unemployed graduates than employed ones. The rate Nigeria produces graduates is far higher than the rate of job creation. Statistically we have enough people in schools.

How do you consider a call center job at Glo or MTN that requires 2nd class upper degree whereas the same job is done by high school graduates here. Or a bank teller job that can be performed by a secondary school graduate. It is now obvious that government job creation schemes is not enough for the people. The solution is SELF_EMPLOYMENT and that can only be achieved when there is electricity. Electricity can help the artisans, bring back the dead manufacturers (whose main problem is high cost of using generating sets). Open industries also creates more jobs for the people which reduces unemployment.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 8:16pm On Dec 21, 2007
EmekaNaija:

There are innumerable countries in the world with steady electricity but high unemployment.South Africa has fairly steady electricity but even the Govt's own figures,said to underestimate the problem,shows that the unemployment rate is 25%.

Even in Europe,countries like Belgium and Poland have high unemployment.The Eastern part of Germany has high unemployment . . . . . .you think they don't have electricity?

The solution to unemployment is quicker economic growth.To the extent that infrastructure like electricity fosters economic growth,it is helpful,but singling out electricity as the elixir to our problem is ridiculous.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Dec 22, 2007
I-man:

There are innumerable countries in the world with steady electricity but high unemployment.South Africa has fairly steady electricity but even the Govt's own figures,said to underestimate the problem,shows that the unemployment rate is 25%.

Even in Europe,countries like Belgium and Poland have high unemployment.The Eastern part of Germany has high unemployment . . . . . .you think they don't have electricity?

The solution to unemployment is quicker economic growth.To the extent that infrastructure like electricity fosters economic growth,it is helpful,but singling out electricity as the elixir to our problem is ridiculous.

Nigeria can not be compared with South Africa when it comes to Economic potential. There are 1000's of companies that have been waiting for years to get into the Nigerian market. Same can not be said for the south african market.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by davidif: 5:15pm On Dec 22, 2007
The original post says that since there are too many unemployed graduates in Nigeria, the best of this graduates should be employed as teachers to reduce unemployment. This is just a part of the solution not the full solution. . There are other ways like electricity, access to loans, good transportation networks. agricultural subsidies, low interest rates.
My arguement for free education is that, if education becomes free, lots of students would flood the schools thereby creating demand for more teachers and more college graduates to teach the kids and this would PARTLY solve the unemployment problem.

The reason why i initially said that free education is a fundamental human right is that, there are many many people in Nigeria who still can't afford to send there kids to school, and this kids are our potential Albert Einstein's, Bill Gates, Rockefeller's, Andrew Carnegie's, and future cancer curers, but if these kids don't have access to education they would end up being touts, agbero's and ashewo's or worse of all, it would become like the KENYA's, UGANDA's and other African countries where uncles and family friends force 8, 9 year olds to sleep with them in exchange for school fees.[color=#990000][/color]

So for Nigeria to move towards a MORDERN economy, it would need a great public education system. Also, Nigeria's universities are sooooooo extremely pathetic, the institutions curriculums are incredibly outdated and if there is anyway that Nigeria is ever going to move forward, it would have to start from the universities, because, no one is going to expect a PHd holder to be planting cocoa instead of developing ICP's, in other words, being an agricultural economy is just not going to cut it in todays world.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Nigeria can not be compared with South Africa when it comes to Economic potential. There are 1000's of companies that have been waiting for years to get into the Nigerian market. Same can not be said for the south african market.

What? There are equally thousands of foreign companies interested in South Africa. Beyond our larger population,what makes us anymore attractive than South Africa?
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:45pm On Dec 23, 2007
I-man:

What? There are equally thousands of foreign companies interested in South Africa. Beyond our larger population,what makes us anymore attractive than South Africa?

I would really love to go into it but I do not feel it is relevant but I do know that the Nigerian market is larger, and more capable than the South african market. It has been that way for decades and continues to be that way. I mean sure the country is doing better than Nigeria but Nigeria still has greater potential than south african when it comes to investments from foreign companies and returns. I am not an economist to give you the run down of it but I truly believe that and know that a lot of countries want to get a piece of that Nigerian market as soon as it opens up and they are not spending as much as they are on Nigeria, on south africa right now.
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I would really love to go into it but I do not feel it is relevant but I do know that the Nigerian market is larger, and more capable than the South african market. It has been that way for decades and continues to be that way.

How do you know that?A market is only as big as what it can buy. How is the Nigerian market more capable?

I am not an economist to give you the run down of it but I truly believe that and know that a lot of countries want to get a piece of that Nigerian market as soon as it opens up and they are not spending as much as they are on Nigeria, on south africa right now.

Believing something doesn't make it true.Maybe "they" are spending more in South Africa because that is where they can get the best returns.This still leaves the question-how does 24hour electricity by itself solve the unemployment problem?Even China,has unemployment rates pushing double figures,you can't say it lacks potential or electrical infrastructure
Re: Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:42pm On Dec 23, 2007
I know cause I believe what I have heard and read in econ mags on the Nigerian market potential compared to the rest of Africa and the estimated amount companies are spending to get a piece of the Nigerian market compared to how much they are spending in other african markets. From conversations I have had with companies in my field and companies I do business with, I agree with the writers of those articles and it is only a matter of time for all to see what the market will offer the world if and when it is opened up.

About ELectricity, we are not talking of other markets or trying to compare Nigeria with any other countries state. Nigeria's case is not to be viewed the way you view China, or kenya or anyother market out there. I believe that cause living in that country myself, I have seen how these have limited industrial growth on so many levels. You open up the door and I guarantee you that that country will experience growth at 10 times or more what it is experiencing today. We have most everything we need, except the basics. Once those are in place, what is left would be how to put in place policies to help monitor and make sure all is in check.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Meets APC Governors Over Crises / Zamfara Gives 'Repentant' Bandits Hilux Vehicles, Millions Of Naira - SR / Nnamdi Kanu Trial Adjourned Untill January 19th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.