Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

$100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means (5263 Views)

Help Decipher This Poem / In Love With A Goddess (Please Criticize this poem ) / Who Or What Do You Think The Writer Of This Poem Is Speaking To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 9:04pm On Aug 08, 2012
Since 2008, nobody was able to explain what this poem is really talking about, not even a guess. It has a vast meaning that a whole book can be written about it, its a literary masterpiece.

I am giving a prize of $100 prize money to anybody who explain the exact meaning of this poem.

Land of Hope

There were you once in a time
Midst of the Valleys full of shades
Full of roasts wired with roots
With molten trees rot to death
While the spillage damaged your veins
You can’t breath even with jokes

There were you once in a time
About to run but the sky is dark
Darkness reign no where to run
Hosts tempting you hard with clout
But you always answer with nerve
They lead you all the way down
Down down to a deadly end
You cry cry and cry
But they cannot hear you cry

Those that hear can’t even tempt
Unless you wake the wonders on
You have blessed the right with care
The left enjoy your open gates
The center you blessed with peace
Up the land you spread your dream
You cry cry and cry
But they can’t hear you cry

Those that hear can’t even tempt
Unless you wake the wonders on
Now is time for you to take your pride
Share your blessings with the guarded hosts
Peace shall reign and evil shall perish
The Light shall come and stay forever with you
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Cuddlemii: 10:08pm On Aug 08, 2012
auwal87: Since 2008, nobody was able to explain what this poem is really talking about, not even a guess. It has a vast meaning that a whole book can be written about it, its a literary masterpiece.

I am giving a prize of $100 prize money to anybody who explain the exact meaning of this poem.

How legit is this? Are you sure you can afford to give away $100?
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 10:14pm On Aug 08, 2012
Cuddlemii:

How legit is this? Are you sure you can afford to give away $100?

Do you have anything to lose? Indeed it is legit, 100%.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by odumchi: 10:34pm On Aug 08, 2012
Who is the author of this poem? Most times, poets write poems based on their personal experiences and life stories. Without some background information, it'll be very difficult to decipher this poem.

Nevertheless, I'll attempt. I think the speaker is talking about someone that enters life and experiences hardship and tribulations. In my mind, the "valleys full of shades" represent the times of sadness in life. The person then grew stronger due to the tears (hardship) he/she cried and, at the same time, grew old.

Those hardships which the person experienced became blessings because he/she grew more experienced and will possibly share his experiences with others so that they won't fall in the same path.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Cuddlemii: 11:58pm On Aug 08, 2012
auwal87:

Do you have anything to lose? Indeed it is legit, 100%.

I have started marketing your concept.
I just needed assurance that you were not tking audience on a wild good chase.
The game is on!
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by esere826: 6:55am On Aug 09, 2012
Dis poem dey tak about conception: sper.ms, ovary, intercourse etc. .....very clear

Spe.rm moving from the male organ and finally suceeding in the female ovary. ...shekina
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 2:04am On Aug 11, 2012
odumchi: Who is the author of this poem? Most times, poets write poems based on their personal experiences and life stories. Without some background information, it'll be very difficult to decipher this poem.

Nevertheless, I'll attempt. I think the speaker is talking about someone that enters life and experiences hardship and tribulations. In my mind, the "valleys full of shades" represent the times of sadness in life. The person then grew stronger due to the tears (hardship) he/she cried and, at the same time, grew old.

Those hardships which the person experienced became blessings because he/she grew more experienced and will possibly share his experiences with others so that they won't fall in the same path.

Your synopsis is on track, best so far.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 2:04am On Aug 11, 2012
esere826: Dis poem dey tak about conception: sper.ms, ovary, intercourse etc. .....very clear

Spe.rm moving from the male organ and finally suceeding in the female ovary. ...shekina

Dead wrong dear.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 2:05am On Aug 11, 2012
Cuddlemii:

I have started marketing your concept.
I just needed assurance that you were not tking audience on a wild good chase.
The game is on!

This is real, no joke.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Cuddlemii: 2:16am On Aug 11, 2012
auwal87:

This is real, no joke.

Ok!
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 12, 2012
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 12, 2012
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
Creative mind: This poem talks about the travail of a land, country or nation. It talked about the pains it went through: the plight it felt in the hands of outsiders, how she was maltreated, hw foreigners exploit and extort her to take thns from her, hw she cried for help when she needed one and how they turn'd deaf ears to her cries. I suspect Africa or Nigeria. I think it shares the same concept with my poem titled "THE RAPED VIRGIN" here on nairaland.

You just gave someone a clue to explain better.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by farydah: 7:01am On Aug 13, 2012
Plundering of Niger Delta/Africa comes to mind.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 12:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
farydah: Plundering of Niger Delta/Africa comes to mind.

Can you explain?
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by farydah: 12:57pm On Aug 13, 2012
Will come back later....
P.S im not really gud in explaining poems. Will give it a shot tho wen i return cheesy
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by darex1: 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2012
it means d suffering and tribulation of a man,who saw d bad side of life,no one was there to give him an helping hand but later found d light,at the end of the tunmel,which is happiness.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by ekwurekwu(m): 11:02pm On Aug 19, 2012
No need for long sentences, Niger Delta was in the mind of the writer as he writes the poem.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
ekwurekwu: No need for long sentences, Niger Delta was in the mind of the writer as he writes the poem.

But can you explain??
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by bada789: 5:05pm On Aug 20, 2012
it means "The Wasteland". where's my $100?
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by EfemenaXY: 6:42pm On Aug 20, 2012
I don't know how you lot do it - I'm rubbish at poetry.

But, I do find the responses on this thread entertaining though... grin grin
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by ahika(m): 12:18am On Aug 22, 2012
LAND OF HOPE
It talks about Nigeria and Niger Delta(land).

In the beginning there was peace in the land, the atmosphere was nice, there was no oil spillage on the land, the land was fruitful (midst of the valley full of shades). Until a time when exploitation of the land begins, when spilled crude oil starts to damage the land (with molten trees rot to death. While the spillage damaged your veins)

Now, the second paragraph tells how the land was made to suffer bitterly due to the selfishness of the exploiters (Darkness reign, no where to run. Host tempting you hard with clout). The exploiters went on to dig more crude oil in search of more from the land, causing more oil spillage, not minding the present situation of the land (They lead you all the way down Down down to a deadly end).

The third paragraph talks about how those who live on the land fears or don't even bother to confront the exploiters (Those that hear can't even tempt). Moreover, the wealth acquired from the land have done wonders to the nation (You blessed the right with care, The left enjoys your open gate,......) but the land still suffers (You cry, cry and cry.......)

Finally, the land have come to realise its use, and forget its sorrows and painful times, and also use its wealth, resources to bless the NATION NIGERIA (Now is the time for you to take your pride, share your blessings with the guarded host..........)

I am certain that this is the answer you've been searching for, for years.
Contact me at ahika.ezekiel@yahoo.com please identify that you are from nairaland.
I'm waiting for my $100

1 Like

Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 2:41am On Aug 23, 2012
ahika: LAND OF HOPE

In the beginning there was peace in the land, the atmosphere was nice, there was no oil spillage on the land, the land was fruitful (midst of the valley full of shades). Until a time when exploitation of the land begins, when spilled crude oil starts to damage the land (with molten trees rot to death. While the spillage damaged your veins)

Now, the second paragraph tells how the land was made to suffer bitterly due to the selfishness of the exploiters (Darkness reign, no where to run. Host tempting you hard with clout). The exploiters went on to dig more crude oil in search of more from the land, causing more oil spillage, not minding the present situation of the land (They lead you all the way down Down down to a deadly end).

The third paragraph talks about how those who live on the land fears or don't even bother to confront the exploiters (Those that hear can't even tempt). Moreover, the wealth acquired from the land have done wonders to the nation (You blessed the right with care, The left enjoys your open gate,......) but the land still suffers (You cry, cry and cry.......)

Finally, the land have come to realise its use, and forget its sorrows and painful times, and also use its wealth, resources to bless the NATION NIGERIA (Now is the time for you to take your pride, share your blessings with the guarded host..........)

Contact me at ahika.ezekiel@yahoo.com please identify that you are from nairaland.
I'm waiting for my $100

I wasn't actually looking for the answer, because I already know what the meaning since I wrote it myself, I wanted to know how other people will translate the poem without any clue from me. That is why I put on this contest.

Back to your explanation;

That was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the poem, despite the fact that I am not from Niger Delta. Anyways, the only place where you got the explanation wrong is at the end, but nevertheless my dear 9/10, you have won your $100 because you explain well. Congratulations!!!

I am going to contact you on the above email for your prize. Though I am not in the country presently, I will still send it to you by your preferred method. grin Secondly, you will be mentioned in my yet-to-be-released book. Once again Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone that responded and tried to explain the meanings of this poem.

1 Like

Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 11:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
ahika: LAND OF HOPE

I'm waiting for my $100

Please check your Inbox.

But I have one thing to clear here, you joined Nairaland a day before posting your explanation. May I know please how you know about it? If you are currently an active member of Nairaland, please be so kind to let me know your active username.

Thank you.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by ahika(m): 3:43pm On Aug 26, 2012
I am a genuine member of nairaland. My username is up there 'Ahika'. Check your inbox for more details.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 5:11am On Aug 28, 2012
ahika: I am a genuine member of nairaland. My username is up there 'Ahika'. Check your inbox for more details.

I hope you have already received your prize?
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by ahika(m): 8:47am On Aug 28, 2012
please check your inbox
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2012
auwal87: Since 2008, nobody was able to explain what this poem is really talking about, not even a guess. It has a vast meaning that a whole book can be written about it, its a literary masterpiece.

On the words highlighted above, "literary masterpiece" ?? I don't get you. Who wrote the poem? And on what grounds is it a literary masterpiece? Why not try sending it to some renowned poetry editors to see if they accept it for publication.

My point is, you don't go about saying a poem is a literary masterpiece. I am trying very hard not to critique this poem of yours, because I will be very honest to point some weaknesses I find in it. Why must it be hard to understand? That a poem is hard to understand doesn't make it a great poem. Chances are, it's a bad poem written by a poet with mediocre language skills.

It's my hope you focus more on honing your poetic skills instead of basking in the glory of finding your poem difficult to understand by readers (that is if this poem was written by you).

Thanks.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by ahika(m): 12:07am On Aug 30, 2012
There are few people in this world who take their words as a mark of dignity, and 'auwal' is among the few ones. When I was explaining the poem, in my mind was ''even if he does not give me the $100 it is worth trying'' but he have proved those of us who thought that someone can't just give away $100, wrong. Some will be asking 'did he actually give out the $100 as he promised?' the answer to that question is yes. Once again thank you auwal.

And @sunical, what is it about the poem that makes it difficult to understand. As you can see, almost everybody that replied to this post gave a clue or almost all the answer. So I can't see the reason why the poem is being criticised.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 6:12am On Aug 30, 2012
sunical:

On the words highlighted above, "literary masterpiece" ?? I don't get you. Who wrote the poem? And on what grounds is it a literary masterpiece? Why not try sending it to some renowned poetry editors to see if they accept it for publication.

My point is, you don't go about saying a poem is a literary masterpiece. I am trying very hard not to critique this poem of yours, because I will be very honest to point some weaknesses I find in it. Why must it be hard to understand? That a poem is hard to understand doesn't make it a great poem. Chances are, it's a bad poem written by a poet with mediocre language skills.

It's my hope you focus more on honing your poetic skills instead of basking in the glory of finding your poem difficult to understand by readers (that is if this poem was written by you).

Thanks.

Quite nice of you, I shouldn't have mentioned 'masterpiece' even though I was referring to my own collection of poems which I wrote my self not world masterpiece.

Are you finding it hard to believe that I wrote the poem? Well, I don't blame you, you may not understand the veracity of it either.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by auwal87(m): 6:17am On Aug 30, 2012
ahika: There are few people in this world who take their words as a mark of dignity, and 'auwal' is among the few ones. When I was explaining the poem, in my mind was ''even if he does not give me the $100 it is worth trying'' but he have proved those of us who thought that someone can't just give away $100, wrong. Some will be asking 'did he actually give out the $100 as he promised?' the answer to that question is yes. Once again thank you auwal.

And @sunical, what is it about the poem that makes it difficult to understand. As you can see, almost everybody that replied to this post gave a clue or almost all the answer. So I can't see the reason why the poem is being criticised.

Thanks for the good words Ahika. I am glad I gave out this prize, and it is my wish to do more. I am trying to encourage/promote creation of creative art and literature in Nigeria. I may pick one of my poems and run this type of contest every 3 months. Hopefully some people will copy what I am doing and offer even more higher prizes.
Re: $100 Prize To Explain What This Poem Means by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 30, 2012
ahika: There are few people in this world who take their words as a mark of dignity, and 'auwal' is among the few ones. When I was explaining the poem, in my mind was ''even if he does not give me the $100 it is worth trying'' but he have proved those of us who thought that someone can't just give away $100, wrong. Some will be asking 'did he actually give out the $100 as he promised?' the answer to that question is yes. Once again thank you auwal.

Read my post again. I didn't say it's difficult to understand. The OP insinuated that. I didn't even bother to explain it because I wasn't interested. He called it a literary masterpiece and that got my attention. He shouldn't have said that. On what grounds? Poetry is an art and it has standards on which it's judged. You don't publicly judge and score your poems all by yourself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Legendary Madiba / The Theory Of Puberty - A Poem. / My Poetry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.