Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples (21775 Views)

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by LordNaya: 5:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
@ Antivirus i will reply you misinformed folks later. Eri met okpu Igbos on ground, Nri met the Adama's on ground and this two authochous Igbo groups has the largest land mass in Aguleri and Nri. The Eze Adama Ikenga Nri made it clear in His interview he granted a newspaper, the a member of the Idigo family made it clear. Why are is it said that ONYE FE NRI, NRI EFE ADAMA( IF YOU HONOUR NRI, NRI WILL HONOUR ADAMA) ? Are you suggesting that another set of people where occupying Igboland before the arrival of Eri ? If yes who are this people ? Why do this authochous groups have the greater landmass, population and control the most important diety ? If the Adama's are in Idemili, then what language and culture do they speak and practise since time immemorial since you claim they aint Igbos ? My dear since you claim descending from Nri means Igbo then, we in anambra south zone, Imo state, Abia state, ebonyi,river state north zone, awka, nkanu,nnsuka,nike, ADAMA Nri, OKPU AGULERI etc are not igbos. IGBOS DOESNT HAVE A SINGLE ORIGIN AND GET THAT INTO YOUR SKULL.

4 Likes

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by odumchi: 9:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Antivirus92(m): 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2012
odumchi: Antivirus, this is for you.

http://www.aro-okigbo.com/arosettlement.htm
what am i going to do with it? Apart from arochukwu and arondizuogu, all other places aro people are minority.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
odumchi: Antivirus, this is for you.

http://www.aro-okigbo.com/arosettlement.htm

But wasn't Aro a confederacy that comprises numerious communities including "Akpa",whom are not Igbo. Compare that to the Eri\Nri settlements that are homogeneous. Most of these places you mentioned Aros settle there as a very insignificant minority. For instance,we had Aro settlers in Umuoji and they came with the "Ubuni Ukpabi" but on getting to Umuoji they dropped the deity for the more powerful "ogwugwu Nri" and the "Ikenga". My point is that some of those ppl you call ndi Aro aren't really true Aros, as Aro were a united variety groups of ppl that formed the "Confederacy".
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
mimifonwon:

lmaooo look at this okoro, who told you to like me, sorry bro, we are not all meant to be liked jor by everyone. kisses:0 ..wouldnt it be funny if you find out one day that you are not even igbo. decendant my foot. lmaooo see yourself talk about the ngwa people, please dont hate cuz they are the largest clan in igbo land, dont hate appreciate and stop having clan mentality. lmao@ozo title, stop decieving yourself. i hope they gave you a dna test first, cuz i suspect your lineage. Fact is you need to sharap and swallow the fact that i know your culture more than you.. am stilll laughing at the ozo title, if you dont know that only applies to women from your land, omo yoruba ni mi se egbo? lmaoo Ozo title, ibu ozu' ewu, akpala okuku. mtchewww. ga ga rashia otila nne ghi. I hope you liked my little direction there for you. cuz dont try me, cuz ngwa and ijebu-igbo combo is deadly. i fear no man, title my foot. mtcheww!!!! if you dont know each igbo land have its own traditions... and omenala nke ghi abughi nke mama'm.hoha!!

Am glad you understands you are not Igbo,hence your manners. You sound like a girl who was raised by a HARLOT! You are better ignored because you are a disgrace to young women. So much for an ngwa youth leader! I guess you tell young ngwa girls to go suck their fathers d..ick,right ?? I feel very sorry for the mother that raise you! You are WORTHLESS creature...You dare bring yourself up to speak of the great woman that raised me?? You are cursed !
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Yujin(m): 7:38pm On Oct 13, 2012
@Nri Priest, thanks for derailing the thread. You also sound so abusive and that robs you of the modesty and tactfulness of the respected Nri priests of old. Nna, jisiike.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Yujin(m): 7:58pm On Oct 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

You know nothing about the history of the Igbo. So,Benins invented the market days too?? And the Igalas, too? Do you even know what is an "onye nze" ?? You are definitely not an Anambrarian,Enugite nor Anioma. Nri influence extended past the whole Igboland to the Benins and Igalas. The origina deities which these market days names were adopted from still exist till this very days in "Agukwu Nri". Do you even know what is an "nze na ozo" ?? Do you think this is a chieftaincy title ?? 90% of Anambra,Enugu and Anioma towns originated from Nri and Eri.Please do more research before you come back here.you are very ignorant of this things you claim to know.
Na mbu, abum nwa-afo Anambara nke na-enwero ntupo. Nke n'eso ya, nze na ozo is like a cult group with the nze being above. I repeat, Nri did not found any town outside Anambra, Anioma and Enugu. If you are in disagreement, name those towns. Again, most towns in southern Anambra only had Nri's influence but weren't founded by Nri. Go and check their dialects and you would know. Finally, it is this same pompous attitude that relegated the Ngwas in Abia's politics and Ndi Onicha in Anambra's politics. Pls, watch it.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Antivirus92(m): 8:06pm On Oct 13, 2012
Yujin:
Na mbu, abum nwa-afo Anambara nke na-enwero ntupo. Nke n'eso ya, nze na ozo is like a cult group with the nze being above. I repeat, Nri did not found any town outside Anambra, Anioma and Enugu. If you are in disagreement, name those towns. Again, most towns in southern Anambra only had Nri's influence but weren't founded by Nri. Go and check their dialects and you would know. Finally, it is this same pompous attitude that relegated the Ngwas in Abia's politics and Ndi Onicha in Anambra's politics. Pls, watch it.
nri influence as in how? Make it clearer! Name five of those towns.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by odumchi: 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

But wasn't Aro a confederacy that comprises numerious communities including "Akpa",whom are not Igbo. Compare that to the Eri\Nri settlements that are homogeneous. Most of these places you mentioned Aros settle there as a very insignificant minority. For instance,we had Aro settlers in Umuoji and they came with the "Ubuni Ukpabi" but on getting to Umuoji they dropped the deity for the more powerful "ogwugwu Nri" and the "Ikenga". My point is that some of those ppl you call ndi Aro aren't really true Aros, as Aro were a united variety groups of ppl that formed the "Confederacy".

You're misunderstanding the "Aro Confederacy". The Aro Confederacy was not a confederation of different communities/village groups, rather, it was a collection of politically united villages (within Arochukwu) that shared a common identity. These villages were responsible for the establishment of their own settlements, and eventually these settlements came to be dubbed "Aro settlements". Take Arondizuogu and Aro Ajalli for example. Arondizuogu was established by people from the Aro village of Amankwu, while Aro Ajalli was established by people from Ujari (a village in Arochukwu).

Today, there are many groups in Igboland that have Aro history which was overshadowed overtime. For example, the original settlers of Arondizuogu spoke pure Aro, consulted Ibini Ukpabi, celebrated Ikeji, and used ekpo masquerades. Over time, due to their distance from the homeland, they lost many of the aspects of Aro culture and now Ndi Izuogu have mmanwu, take titles (Nze na Ozo), and speak an Nri-Oka dialect.

Anyone that thinks Aro people are few in number is mistaken. Crowd turnout at the universal Aro conventions speak otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Antivirus92(m): 9:23pm On Oct 13, 2012
odumchi:

You're misunderstanding the "Aro Confederacy". The Aro Confederacy was not a confederation of different communities/village groups, rather, it was a collection of politically united villages (within Arochukwu) that shared a common identity. These villages were responsible for the establishment of their own settlements, and eventually these settlements came to be dubbed "Aro settlements". Take Arondizuogu and Aro Ajalli for example. Arondizuogu was established by people from the Aro village of Amankwu, while Aro Ajalli was established by people from Ujari (a village in Arochukwu).

Today, there are many groups in Igboland that have Aro history which was overshadowed overtime. For example, the original settlers of Arondizuogu spoke pure Aro, consulted Ibini Ukpabi, celebrated Ikeji, and used ekpo masquerades. Over time, due to their distance from the homeland, they lost many of the aspects of Aro culture and now Ndi Izuogu have mmanwu, take titles (Nze na Ozo), and speak an Nri-Oka dialect.

Anyone that thinks Aro people are few in number is mistaken. Crowd turnout at the universal Aro conventions speak otherwise.
aro itself is a confederation of unrelated people.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by odumchi: 9:46pm On Oct 13, 2012
Antivirus92: aro itself is a confederation of unrelated people.

Again with your rash statements? You shall be hearing from Ibini Ukpabi.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Antivirus92(m): 2:46am On Oct 14, 2012
odumchi:

Again with your rash statements? You shall be hearing from Ibini Ukpabi.
and arusi nwoocha of oraukwu will deal with it seriously.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by ChinenyeN(m): 3:53am On Oct 14, 2012
Antivirus92: and arusi nwoocha of oraukwu will deal with it seriously.
hmph
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by pazienza(m): 4:08pm On Oct 14, 2012

Hehe!
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by pazienza(m): 4:22pm On Oct 14, 2012
Seriously,i don't think nri covers the whole of anambra. Those communities in orumba south/north LGAs are certainly not of nri origin,especially those people from orumba south,like umunze,ogbunka,owerre ezukalla,nkerehi,ihitte,etc.

These people clearly speak a dialect that is clearly unrelated to nri dialects, their culture is different too. Their dialect is the same with those of isuochi,nneato,umuchieze in umunneochi LGAs of abia state,and some communities in awgu lga of enugu state like,their dialect is also similar to those of some communities in okigwe lga of imo state.

I think these people are the same,but got balkanized into different states,and over time they acquired political affliations with other groups they found themselves with in different states.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by odumchi: 6:38am On Oct 15, 2012

Lol, well played.
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by WAXXSTAXX(m): 8:57am On Jul 06, 2014
The Ibibio word "Nyibi" which means turn in English, is the root of Nyibidi. Nyibidi means turning. The Ekoi/Ejagham say Nchibidi or Nchibiddy, but it's only a corruption of the Ibibio word, Nyibidi. The play was usually accompanied with drummings. The drum is called Ibit. The drum for the ruling Crown is called Ibit Itam. Itam means crown, hat, or headgear. Ekpe was indeed the governing deity and Ibit Itam was one of their major plays. Ukara means governance or government in Ibibio. Ukara cloth is worn by those in the government of Ekpe. The Ekpe and even Ekpo masquerade of old used to dance in a circular motion in order to induce a trance-like effect or feeling. Hence Nyibidi. Ibibio is the largest language of the Cross River and Akwa Ibom territories. Efik, Ekoi, Annang, Oron, Eket, Qua, Ibeno, Okobo, etc. are all variations of Ibibio. The Ibibio owned and controlled Arochukwu until they lost it in 1634 to the allied forces of the migrating Igbo and the Akpa. The Igbo slaves of the Ibibio rebelled and joined forces with the Akpa who were themselves of Ibibio origin. The Ibibios left both Arochukwu and their ancient Long Juju, but those who remained continued to run the oracles and influence the Igbo converts/practitioners of Ekpe.

The Ibibios and Efiks taught Nsibidi to the Igbos through the Ekpe society. The chief language used in Ekpe is Ibibio. The Ibibios and Efiks knew Arochukwu as Ibom and Mbot Abasi. Mbot means creation. Abasi means God. Therefore, Mbot Abasi means the creation of God or, simply, the people of God. I understand that the Igbos kept the original Ibibio name for Arochukwu, but merely translated it into Igbo language. So, MBOT ABASI(Ibibio for God's creation or the people of God) became ARO CHUKWU which literally means GOD'S CREATION or GOD'S PEOPLE in the IGBO LANGUAGE. While in Arochukwu, the Ibibio leaders had a secret society called Ekpe. Ekpe means leopard or lion. They also practise the Ekpo divination. The leadership operated (and still does)in an esoteric manner. Only members are privy to the innerworkings of the group. They developed an elaborate system of logograms through which their ideas, knowledge, and activities awere recorded. Nyibidi which means turning (going in circles), evolved into Nsibidi. Nsibidi is Ibibio for what is at play or, what's playing? Nso = what. I (as in letter "e"wink = is. Bidi = play or playing. NSO-I-BIDI (NSIBIDI) or NSO-I-BIRI(NSIBIRI) means what's playing? What's at play?

Therefore, Nsibidi means what is playing or, what's at play? Nsibidi was later adopted as the name for the writings associated with Ekpe society. It is true that the Europeans found most of the Nsibidi script among the Ekoi, but it is really of Ibibio origin. Nsibidi is sometimes used in secular settings for communicating messages of love, friendship, business, etc. The Igbos could not fully adapt Nsibidi because translation from Ibibio into Igbo had too many constraints. Original meanings of Ekpe society's Nsibidi often got lost in translation.

"There was no war between Aros and Ibibio -what happened was what one would accurately describe as a coup. The Aros who were assistants (slave by Europeans) at the Ibritam Shrine organized a coup with the help of Ekoi, Akunakuna and Igbos and seized the shrine from their Ibibio masters. Talbot** put the date at 1300 -1400 based on the geneology and calculation of the ages of relatives of informant who claims their forebears were in charge of this shrine -we dispute this because the informant forebears couldn't have been incharge since religious affairs in Ibibio land was entrusted to the group known as Annang today ,and this informant came from a different group. However, Talbot also based his date from Aro informant. We still think that the date was much earlier. However the consensus is that the Aros were in possession of the shrine before trade with the Portuguese and later Slave trade with Efik and later the Ijaws-Bonny and kalabari when Ibibios prohibited transportation of people across their territory."
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by SUNNYsparkle: 8:25pm On Jul 09, 2016
NRIPRIEST:

Please say what you know!
Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by SUNNYsparkle: 11:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
Antivirus92:
and arusi nwoocha of oraukwu will deal with it seriously.
You are making mouth now, Thank the white man that haulted slave trade, If not for them I assure you, your entire u umuoji together with your petty Oracle would have been cool cash. All of you would have been sold!

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by SUNNYsparkle: 1:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
Antivirus92:
aro itself is a confederation of unrelated people.

Please say what you know. Aro is a united entity. Whether you insinuate, they are made up of Ibiobio, Efik, Akpa, Edda, Jukun and Igbo, that's what's makes them Aro, as most NRI settlements within and outside Anambra mixed up with Igalas and Binis and are not pure Igbo stock. It is on record that Aro does not marry other Igbo's because Aro is high grade tribe of Igbos and other Igbos apart from (Nri proper, Nkwerre, Abam etc. ) had at one time or the other been sold as slaves, so are of lower grade

3 Likes

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by Ihuomadinihu: 9:58am On Jul 13, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:

Please say what you know. Aro is a united entity. Whether you insinuate, they are made up of Ibiobio, Efik, Akpa, Edda, Jukun and Igbo, that's what's makes them Aro, as most NRI settlements within and outside Anambra mixed up with Igalas and Binis and are not pure Igbo stock. It is on record that Aro does not marry other Igbo's because Aro is high grade tribe of Igbos and other Igbos apart from (Nri proper, Nkwerre, Abam etc. ) had at one time or the other been sold as slaves, so are of lower grade
This is just sheer nonesense.
Arochukwu just like a few of other igbo towns is very heterogenous and made of non Igbo ancestry.
That part of your history is well documented.

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by AjaanaOka(m): 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2016
SUNNYsparkle:

It is on record that Aro does not marry other Igbo's because Aro is high grade tribe of Igbos and other Igbos apart from (Nri proper, Nkwerre, Abam etc. ) had at one time or the other been sold as slaves, so are of lower grade

What is this?

1 Like

Re: Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples by sissyevy(m): 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
yorubaruler:
@ NRI PRIEST. Please you an your co-travellers of questionable origin should stop giving we Igbos bad name. If you are Igbo then you would know that there is noting like real or fake Igbo, IGBO WU IGBO. I want you to know that the real Nri's ARE THE ADAMAS WHO WERE IN THEIR PRESENT LOCATION BEFORE MENRI MIGRATED FROM AGULERI. The authochous Adamas dont recall their origin but recall the period Menri migrated to the area and the time nri with his co-travellers were assimilated by them. The Adamas are also the aborigines of Oraeri, Adazi enu and Adazi nnukwu towns long before the arrival of Nri Ifiquanim Menri from Aguleri.They are the ones who appointed Eze Nri to serve as their ritual agent and taught Eze Nri the ritual rites they perfomed and the Igbo days and years counting which Igbos allover Igboland were already practicing. AS OWNERS OF THE EZE NRI TITLE, THEY DECIDE AS WELL AS CROWN WHO WOULD BE EZE NRI TILL TODAY. THEY ALSO INHERIT THE PROPERTIES OF EZE NRI UPON HIS DEATH, THEY CAN CHALLENGE THE PRONOUNCEMENT OF EZENRI IF IT CONTRADICTS THEIR BELIEVE, ADVICES EZENRI ON SPIRITUAL MATTERS AND ARE IN CHARGE OF HIS PROTOCOLS. Hence in Nri their is an adage which says ONYE FE NRI, NRI EFE ADAMA meaning if you honour Eze Nri, Nri would in turn honour the Adamas. This is because they appointed Nri as their spiritual agent. As Igbos they share similar culture and beliefs with other authochous Igbo groups across Igboland WITHOUT ANY IGBO GROUP INFLUENCING THE OTHER. Even in Aguleri aborigines are the okpu villages which are the most senior villages in Aguleri the home of Nri. When Eri the father of Nri migrated to the Aguleri He met the okpu people who are have established there long before his arrival.According to the oral history of the aguleris, ERI ADOPTED THE LANGUAGE AND CULTURES OF THE OKPU PEOPLE. THE BIG QUESTION IS SINCE ERI AND HIS GROUP ADOPTED THE LANGUAGE AND CULTURE OF THEIR HOST THE OKPU PEOPLE, WHO ARE THE OKPU PEOPLE ? SINCE IT HAS BEEN SEVERALLY PROVED THAT THE OKPU PEOPLE ARE IGBOS,WHO SPOKE IGBO AND PRACTICE THE IGBO CULTURE FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL, WHAT WAS THE LANGUAGE AND CULTURE OF ERI AND HIS GROUP BEFORE THEY WERE ASSIMILATED BY THEIR IGBO ABORIGINES ? The Okpu people control the most important diety in Aguleri till date.
Their are many authochous Igbo groups spread across Igboland which have given birth to many Igbo towns and communities within and outside the south east. SO ANYBODY THAT SAYS THEIR IS A FAKE AND REAL IGBOS IS A MISCHIEVIOUS IGNORAMUS WITH QUESTIONABLE BACKGROUND WHICH SHOULD BE REBUKED,CASTIGATED AND CORRECTED BY ALL INTELLIGENT IGBOS. Mind you am good in Igbo history and i can clear your doubts with facts. You can read up this well researched article written by a professor in Igbo language and culture known as Politics of Igbo Origin and Culture at: groups.yahoo.com/group/AnambraForum/message/45010

am pretty sure those NRI people were igala migrants into these communities and who have evolved into Igbos.. but unfortunately today, they now claim to be d original owners of the land. and lay claims to d origin of igbos in general

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation / Buhari; Ndigbo Nile Biko Bianu O. / M-NET FINALLY LAUNCHES AFRICA MAGIC IGBO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.