Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? (13462 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / On The Background Of Nigeria's Poor Performance At The Olympics...... / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 10:57am On Aug 09, 2012
What do you think is the cause of the dismal performance of Team Nigeria in the London 2012 Olympics?

A.POOR PREPARATION

B.LACK OF FUNDS

C.CORRUPTION

D.GEJ
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by onyxo76(m): 12:51pm On Aug 09, 2012
a lot things...what is the difference between us and the jamaicans, we used to have good sportsmen in the past especially in boxing and athletics but all that has changed.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by sherrylo: 4:29pm On Aug 09, 2012
Witches and wizards

5 Likes

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by goldfish80(m): 4:29pm On Aug 09, 2012
bayulll01: What do you think is the cause of the dismal performance of Team Nigeria in the London 2012 Olympics?

A.POOR PREPARATION

B.LACK OF FUNDS

C.CORRUPTION

D.GEJ

All of the Above sad cry

4 Likes

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Afam4eva(m): 4:30pm On Aug 09, 2012
A lot of factors have been inimical to our dismal outing.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Leemladoja(m): 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2012
Corruption! Failure of the heads, greed.

In fact, Nigeria's corrupted system is to be blamed for that failure. R
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by kokoye(m): 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2012
To win at such levels, people have to be encouraged. And it does nto start when they are adults..you catch them young and then you train, motivate and reward them. Whatever happened to all the inter-house sports events and gymnastic displays that we used to have back in the days??

Now everybody wants to be a banker, oil dealer, entertainer or politician. The ones who actually want to do sports have to get out of the country and train elsewhere. The government and corporate organizations also do not care. Surprised? Nope.

And then we complain about poor performances.

11 Likes

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by ayoola2002(m): 4:32pm On Aug 09, 2012
goldfish80:
All of the Above sad cry

Seconded.

1 Like

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by tonte(m): 4:35pm On Aug 09, 2012
E fit be Witchcraft o
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Fhemmmy: 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2012
All the above except GEJ, cos GEJ will not go to the olympics to perform on behalf of the athletes . . . However, i even wonder at the process of how the athletes are selected . . .
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by phaya(f): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2012
A lot of factors are responsible! When a Nigerian is representing another country they perform excellently BUT when the same people represent Nigeria it becomes another thing else.....SmH. I wonder the image we have shown the world during this olympics
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by miteolu(m): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2012
None of the above. Team Nigeria representatives are old.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by sylve11: 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
bayulll01: What do you think is the cause of the dismal performance of Team Nigeria in the London 2012 Olympics?

A.POOR PREPARATION

B.LACK OF FUNDS

C.CORRUPTION

D.GEJ

Channels go sue u cool
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
Fhemmmy: All the above except GEJ, cos GEJ will not go to the olympics to perform on behalf of the athletes . . . However, i even wonder at the process of how the athletes are selected . . .
There are always trials where the best athletes are selected. So, technically, they're the best we have in the country right now.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by r231(m): 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
sherry lo: Witches and wizards

grin angry grin
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by stunna2(m): 4:40pm On Aug 09, 2012
I thought y'all where (well, some of ya) celebrating your Athletes not taking off yet yesterday...what gives??

I thought they were going to be awarded medals for behaving and not absconding...?? Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by istijabaharch: 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
The main causes of this poor performance is CORRUPTION

1 Like

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by dare2think: 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2012
The spiral effects of corruption!
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
afam4eva:
There are always trials where the best athletes are selected. So, technically, they're the best we have in the country right now.

I can bet anything that these could never be the best . . . how is the trials done, and i will bet anything to say that some of the athletes sent were just sent cos they "thought" they were good . . . for the swimming, were some of the people that lives on the water and all their life is around water invited for the trials . . . for the boxing, who trained the boyz at Oshodi that could fight well?
There is surely something wrong with our selection process
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Afam4eva(m): 4:48pm On Aug 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I can bet anything that these could never be the best . . . how is the trials done, and i will bet anything to say that some of the athletes sent were just sent cos they "thought" they were good . . . for the swimming, were some of the people that lives on the water and all their life is around water invited for the trials . . . for the boxing, who trained the boyz at Oshodi that could fight well?
There is surely something wrong with our selection process
I'm not saying the selection process was perfect but atleast a competition was conducted where the best in that competition made it to the olympics. Although, the invitation may not have been extended to some people. But i feel the issue is really not about the athletes because you can get the best from any athlete once there's an enabling environment.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by abhosts(m): 4:52pm On Aug 09, 2012
I find it quite Ironic that Nigeria's best ever sports spell took place during the Regime of a Dictator. Our democratic leaders need to start taking sports seriously.

Nations Cup Triumph 1994.

First World Cup 1994.

Best Olympic Performance 1996.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On Aug 09, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm not saying the selection process was perfect but atleast a competition was conducted where the best in that competition made it to the olympics. Although, the invitation may not have been extended to some people. But i feel the issue is really not about the athletes because you can get the best from any athlete once there's an enabling environment.

When you are able to get the best from the real best, we would at least be a little better.
Invitation to the trials has to be done better and improved.
The environment is not good at all like you said and i do agree with that . . .

1 Like

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 09, 2012
what do you expect? failure to plan, is planning to fail[color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by stunna2(m): 4:59pm On Aug 09, 2012
But honestly, as I have pointed out here b4, building a Nation, wining medals at the olympic games, generating megawatts of electricity for 160 million people and maintaining it...all these things cost money, lots of it!!!!!

So untill the day comes when deciplined Nigerians budget Nigeria's money to pursue these things in ernest and other set of deciplined Nigerians spend the budgeted cash for what they were meant for in good faith and care for Nigeria as a people as a nation...there will be no miracles - I'm sorry to say!!

Curse me out or go and multiply the churches and pastors in the country...it will not do it.

1 Like

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 09, 2012
Lack of Patriotic zeal. Nigerians lost hope in Nigeria after decades of misrule. I pray GEJ restores pride of Nigerians on Nigeria.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by fe32(m): 5:01pm On Aug 09, 2012
kokoye: To win at such levels, people have to be encouraged. And it does nto start when they are adults..you catch them young and then you train, motivate and reward them. Whatever happened to all the inter-house sports events and gymnastic displays that we used to have back in the days??

Now everybody wants to be a banker, oil dealer, entertainer or politician. The ones who actually want to do sports have to get out of the country and train elsewhere. The government and corporate organizations also do not care. Surprised? Nope.

And then we complain about poor performances.

so on point...in the realm of sports, ours is a nation heading nowhere. whatever happened to the hugely supported and contested inter-house sports, inter-school sports. it's not just a govt thing, the private comps don't give a damn. the Jamaicans are not better than us but they've kept this tradition going, hence their result. sadly education is also suffering the same thing. companies that will roll out millions to a singer in a matter of hours never support sports or education in the same manner. it will be hard for us to do anything great in these areas. a nation serious about standing on its own develop its young. jets competitions, top brand math quiz, hackathons, solar comps, writing comps, essays and poems,inter-house/school sports comps.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by martin92(m): 5:05pm On Aug 09, 2012
nah boko haram cause am. Too much blood has bin spilled on our land and the god of sports is very angry wit us
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by boyyyyyyyy(m): 5:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
I dey vex 4 dis country wey i come frm no be joke oooo!!! Small thing Ogoni man go jump enter water like fish for days we no go see dem. See olympics nah, go swim,dem dey fear water.

Zero medal 4 Naija Hausa man go enter boat dey shout argungu fishing festival.
See rowing 4 olympics, dem no dey.

Zero medal 4 Naija Fulani herdsmen fit shoot arrow from 1km kill anyone wey wan steal dem cow, olympics reach make dem go do archery, dem no sabi shoot again.

Zero medal 4 Naija Igbo man go run from Sokoto to Aba at the slightest provocation by Boko. See marathon 4 olympics, dem no shw face.

Zero medal 4 Naija Agbero for park no mind pursue bus for road. See 100metres race 4 Olympics, dem no sabi run again.

ZERO medal 4 Naija Yoruba man go remove clothes, wrist watch and pant to fight 4 Ojuelegba. See boxing 4 olympics,we no see dem.

Zero medal 4 Naija Warri man go say warri no dey carry last..... na wetin Blessing Okagbare, our own warri babe dey do for last 4 women 200metres race abi she think say one person dey her back?

Zero medal 4 Naija Na who even start that nonsense called NAIJA GOT TALENT sef...?!

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Join Nigeria Football Supporters Club? / I Won’t Celebrate If Man United Beat Chelsea, Says Mourinho / Liverpool Spoil AC Milan's Champions League Return In Five-Goal Thriller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.