Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,549 members, 7,801,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill (4650 Views)

Wale Oke: ‘Breastfeeding Is For Babies, Not Husbands’ / Ebola: NSA Warned Health Ministry Before Sawyer’s Visit / No Nigerian Infected With Ebola Virus - Health Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by omicron(m): 12:47pm On Aug 09, 2012
THE Federal Government, yesterday, said it was considering sending a bill to the National Assembly, which would promote and make breast feeding compulsory for all nursing mothers in the country.

Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, at the grand finale of the World Breast Feeding week in Ugbodo, Ebonyi Local Government Area of the state, said that the bill, when passed into law will stipulate appropriate sanctions for defaulting mothers.

He said the bill, which was still under consideration would seek to increase the number of months for maternity leave for lactating mothers as well as encourage husbands to fulfil their obligations to their wives during the period of lactation in the family.

“I agree with you that legislation can help in the area of stipulating that an employer, whether government or private give more time for maternity leave and we are thinking along that line. Another thing is for us to have a period, when the husbands, who have wives who are lactating can have time to assist their wives because it is important.”

The men must support but often times, what happens is that as the woman is giving birth, the man decides to go elsewhere to enjoy himself.
“He doesn’t give that psychological support to the woman. So we need to support our women to do the right thing. As you know, when you have a law and people are inside their house it becomes difficult to monitor. So what we are doing is even more important than the law,” he said.

Earlier, wife of Ebonyi State Governor, Mrs Josephine Elechi, said that breast milk was the best food for the baby as it contained all the essential nutrients required for growth and development of the child.

She noted that exclusive breast feeding for the first six months of child birth had been recognised as the single most effective intervention for child survival and reduction of under-5 mortality and morbidity.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/fg-considers-bill-on-compulsory-breast-feeding/

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Kobojunkie: 12:48pm On Aug 09, 2012
This one na lie. . . this man is not this daft!

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by blacksta(m): 12:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
If only past and present presidents were breast feed - Maybe Nigeria wont be in a mess

6 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by omicron(m): 12:51pm On Aug 09, 2012
How about Monitoring & Evaluation? Who will monitor the mothers to make sure they are br.ea.stfeeding? It's always better to enlighten people and let them know the advantages and also have incentives than tryin to slam a law down people's mammary glands. They shd occcupy their time with something else joor. Before u know am now, them go form plenty committees on this.

5 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by amosy007: 12:53pm On Aug 09, 2012
Seriously? Out of all bills that seriously need to be passed.. Breast feeding is topping *smh*
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by omicron(m): 12:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
blacksta: If only past and present presidents were breast feed - Maybe Nigeria wont be in a mess
maybe they weren't

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Chanchit: 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2012
Na today, make them pass am nau... Na those senators go brreast feed the babies last last, when them pass the law finish... I sure say milk go plenty for their body, from all the money dem don swallow, especially that Mr Mark..

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2012
u can force a horse to the river bank but u can't force a horse to drink water undecided instead of this law makers to create means to enlighten parents on the advantages of bosom-feeding embarassed cry
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Elueme: 1:06pm On Aug 09, 2012
Do you mean brest feeding? I know the week ended yesterday I.e world breast feeding week. It is high time we made regulations on health tighter.. In actual sense te benefit of breastfeeding a baby exclusively for 6 months can't be overemphasized.. The country should have it as a law and create an enabling environment for that especially at work places.. It's still appalling that some establishment do not give cognizance to the 90 days maternal leave as enshrined in labour law.. Wat a pity.. There's no better legacy you can give your child than that for his or her foundation.. It starts with adequate breast feeding which helps in rapid mental develop, the boasting of the immune system against childhood killer diseases as well as encourages mother to child bonding... IF THE BILL IS PROPOSED, I STAND FOR IT AND SHOWS THIS GOVT IS GIVING IN TO DETAILS AND IT IS COMMITTED TO A WHOLISTIC NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT... Pls guys make una no dey hoard una wives breast nau, it is for the children, cos one of the reasons for non- compliance is that the women want to keep the breast turgid for her to be attractive to the husband.. Na wa o Agbaya dey hustle breast milk too?
Elueme: Do you mean breast feeding? I know the week ended yesterday I.e world breast feeding week. It is high time we made regulations on health tighter.. In actual sense te benefit of breastfeeding a baby exclusively for 6 months can't be overemphasized.. The country should have it as a law and create an enabling environment for that especially at work places.. It's still appalling that some establishment do not give cognizance to the 90 days maternal leave as enshrined in labour law.. Wat a pity.. There's no better legacy you can give your child than that for his or her foundation.. It starts with adequate breast feeding which helps in rapid mental develop, the boasting of the immune system against childhood killer diseases as well as encourages mother to child bonding... IF THE BILL IS PROPOSED, I STAND FOR IT AND SHOWS THIS GOVT IS GIVING IN TO DETAILS AND IT IS COMMITTED TO A WHOLISTIC NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT... Pls guys make una no dey hoard una wives breast nau, it is for the children, cos one of the reasons for non- compliance is that the women want to keep the breast turgid for her to be attractive to the husband.. Na wa o Agbaya dey hustle breast milk too?

2 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
I'm confuse, in Nigeria wetin be the meaning of National Assembly self.
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by maclatunji: 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
@Richvkunt, where art thou? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Biggyd2: 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
So what about the committee to look into the enforcement of this bill when(if ever) it becomes law? Hasn't it been set up yet? undecided
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by ooua: 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2012
There are mothers who naturally cannot breast feed, so if this law is passed how do you manage it with such people. Please let the law makers use their time for something else, Nigeria is in such a big mess. Every mother will love to breast feed not just that it is cheap it is also good for the child. Any woman that is not doing that feels bad about it because it is a natural thing to do. Remember also that some women die during delivery so those kids should be left to die beause there is a bill against bottle feeding. Nigerians are so narrow minded. Please think outside of the box health ministry. I have seen bottle fed babies who are healthy.

2 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by gegee(m): 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2012
nairand go kill person o sey na brest feeding dem dey turn to bossom feeding any way i hope no be for only children o
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by mrperfect(m): 1:25pm On Aug 09, 2012
Who would complain to them in the event of default?
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by sunkoye: 1:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
so who are the taskforce team....? wrong priority mitshewww!

grin
but for the bosom milk...i no understand ooo
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by 1forall: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2012
For how long shall we continue to watch these people insult us?
I don't know what we are waiting for oh
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by dapo338(m): 1:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nonsense! Nonsense! Total Nonsense!

Instead they focus on Nigerian problems like curruption, electricity, education, employment, etc. They are thinking of yeye law... Stupid people, I wonder what is in their brain.... can they make it compulsory... infact they are really stupid. i cannot believe what am reading.

Doctors will advice a mother that is positive to wider test (typhoid) to stop breast feeding amongst others.
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by gator666: 1:47pm On Aug 09, 2012
I am happy Nigeria as a country has solved all its problems and can now focus on breastfeeding.

2 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 09, 2012
Sounds more like, HEY!! HEY!! MADAM!! STOP THERE !! YOU ARE UNDER ARREST FOR HAVING FULL LOADED JUICY BREST. UNDER SECTION 2 of FEED YOU PIKIN WELL, CONSTITUTION.STATE THAT : NOBODY SHOULD HAVE FULL JUICY BREST IN NIGERIA. SO MADAM AFTER OUR INTORAGATION,YOU ARE UNDER ARREST.

2 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by eddy18(f): 1:53pm On Aug 09, 2012
So...how is this to be implemented? and how does it develop Nigeria as a Nation?
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by ifyalways(f): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hehe!
Jeje na him I dey oh, Mac.
So Richy don win this battle. Expect the cabal to stage a protest in abuja. Lol
@topic, very interesting. I would love to know how they'll implement this. Of all the things to worry about, infact mortality high rate, polio and TB etc and here are we thinking of how to manhandle a woman and her b. Erasts ?
WHO must be laughing. Lmao
maclatunji: @Richvkunt, where art thou? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by negbenebor(f): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2012
The brestfeeding thin is good,but dnt think it should be a law,just tell the mothers the important of breast feeding.the ;Dy should think of laws like killing any government that embezzle
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by honeric01(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
Are they going to plant chips inside nursing mother's breast? how are they going to know who's breastfeeding and who's not?
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Ramcie(f): 2:02pm On Aug 09, 2012
I really don't know why some women won't do exclusive breast-feeding for their babies, like a nutritionist once said " whether you like it or not at a certain point in a woman's life, her breast would sag whether you breast feed or not". So it's up to you . If you like don't do baby friendly boobi must still sag grin

2 Likes

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Dainfamous: 2:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
they should make sure that they include grown men too they dearly need B.R.E.A.S.T feeding....

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by soledadd: 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2012
There are many health issues to be handled in this country, they will leave it and be talking about breastfeeding. Which sane mother would not want to breastfeed her child.
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by Demdem(m): 2:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
Its good to note that the NASS will soon be talking about B.R.EAST milk inside the hallowed chamber grin grin grin
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by maclatunji: 2:53pm On Aug 09, 2012
ifyalways: Hehe!
Jeje na him I dey oh, Mac.
So Richy don win this battle. Expect the cabal to stage a protest in abuja. Lol
@topic, very interesting. I would love to know how they'll implement this. Of all the things to worry about, infact mortality high rate, polio and TB etc and here are we thinking of how to manhandle a woman and her b. Erasts ?
WHO must be laughing. Lmao

The Minister must have seen Richy's great efforts here on Nairaland and the way the "Cabal" have sort to Phd (Pull him down). He is now ready to give Richy full Legislative and Executive backing. This battle is getting interesting; what will this little-known-about "Cabal" do next? Time as they say will tell.

Not reporting for Nairaland News is moi. grin
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by jedisco(m): 3:52pm On Aug 09, 2012
Its a good idea although I would prefer that women be counselled and allowed to make informed decisions.

Another option is increasing the tax producers of infant formulae pay so that they could be more expensive while subsidizing it for women who cannot breastfeed.
They should also be made to put a bold caption (just like that on cigarettes) stating that the mothers milk is by far the best for the infant.
Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by iykak47: 3:54pm On Aug 09, 2012
The bresfeeding bill should not be all about infants, husbands and boy friends should be considered also because naturally a man never overgrown brest s ucking, from his mother to his girl friend, finally to his wife.(Nwoke adighi aju ara)

1 Like

Re: Health Ministry Considers Compulsory Breastfeeding Bill by oladayo042: 3:59pm On Aug 09, 2012
The bill should not forget adults who are not well b.reastfed when they are infants. Their mothers must be compelled to give them their b.reastmilk in arrears.

Thats my contribution to the bill.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Role Of HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANIZATIONS In Nigerian Health Sysy / Help! Internal Heat Is Killing Him / Can You Get Hiv From A Person Feces?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.