Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop (6392 Views)

Ayodele Bakare: Former Nigeria National Basketball Coach Survived Soakaway Fall / Is John Obi Mikel A FLOP Or Just Been Overated By Chelsea Fans / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Nobody: 2:33am On Aug 10, 2012
What else his he supposed to do? Our basketball team was a colossal failure!
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Afam4eva(m): 4:51am On Aug 10, 2012
Even though the reasons Bakare gave for his resignation may not be the true reasons, I think he's an honourable man for doing that. His career is that of a two sided coin. He's tasted the good and the bad and he's made history on opposite sides. Thanks Coach for your dedication and service to your country. I hope our politicians will learn from you.

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by kemmeye: 5:44am On Aug 10, 2012
i think what happened was that awon boyz were star struck they saw Kobe Bryant and all those big NBA players and were more focused on them than the game. The idiot coach did not even try to cheer them up he just sat there like a mugu so yeah him resigning is a good thing he's useless
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by martyns303(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2012
sunnshyn: Oh! He's not resigning as a result of the defeat, but cos according to him he has seen it all with the team....how convenient! Would he still have taken this step if his team won a medal in the Olympics?#thinkingoutloud
how do you reason? obviously if his team has won a medal then he's doing a great job as a coach and wont need to resign, however thats not the case and the man felt the best thing to do is give another person a chance with the team. been a long time i saw such "selflessness" in a top position holding Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Myself2(m): 7:28am On Aug 10, 2012
Well done to the man,at least it is good to see a Bakare that is honest and works hard for his money and is not into the delusion of power hunger and economic fraud whilst deceiving many with religion
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by sharubutu(m): 7:28am On Aug 10, 2012
o ye GEJ of little or no self esteem, borrow a leaf from this man who honorably resigned for failing the nation.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Exponental(m): 8:11am On Aug 10, 2012
Winners dont quit
quitters dont win.

Was he expecting a gold?
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Exponental(m): 8:14am On Aug 10, 2012
sharubutu: o ye GEJ of little or no self esteem, borrow a leaf from this man who honorably resigned for failing the nation.
he did not fail d nation..........d main victory he achieved was qualifying. Dont expect a baby to walk immediately after birth.

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 10, 2012
YOU
teeowl: What else his he supposed to do? Our basketball team was a colossal failure!

AND You
kemmeye: i think what happened was that awon boyz were star struck they saw Kobe Bryant and all those big NBA players and were more focused on them than the game. The idiot coach did not even try to cheer them up he just sat there like a mugu so yeah him resigning is a good thing he's useless

One word best fits u two: Retards!

Wot do u guys know about d struggle n travails of d Nigerian team? B4 u open ur unpatriotic mouth n spew trash, go n check d journey traveled!!!

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by larimo(m): 8:41am On Aug 10, 2012
I wish he had stayed on because he has an unmatched record as a coach. We need transformers in our sports. It makes me wonder why a coach like Kadiri Ikhana has never been given a chance with the Super Eagles. he has done immensely at the club level.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by maigaskiya1: 9:38am On Aug 10, 2012
dr.laykay:
[b][/b]The coach explained that he was resigning for main reasons:

But i cant find d reasons
atleast 2 enable hm treat d cardiac arest d us team inflictd on hm.wat else do u wnt 2 hear
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 10, 2012
What are his reasons?none was stated in the post.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Okijajuju1(m): 9:46am On Aug 10, 2012
With a name like Bakare, I'm not surprised...
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Delafruita(m): 10:18am On Aug 10, 2012
teeowl: What else his he supposed to do? Our basketball team was a colossal failure!
our basketball team was not a failure.they made history by qualifying,then became the first african team to win a game at the olympics.its easy to say they were thrashed by the US but when you look at the fact that our team got in 79points against the best team in the world,you realise they deserve some credit.the americans were simply on a good run of accuracy but our boys did their best despite all the injuries they incurred.i believe the NBBF will reject his resignation and probably plead with him to remain and i hope he does.he has brought nigerian basketball to this stage.taken us away from the days when angola,tunisia and cameroon made mince-meat of our team.now we are a force to be reckoned with in africa

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Rheinmetal(m): 10:49am On Aug 10, 2012
There is an article on this man and his team by the NY Times (someone has graciously provided the link) If some of you would bother to read that up, you'd realise that this man and his team deserve to be eulogised and not criticised. And most importantly that there are a few good men like Coach Bakare in Nigerian sports.

If you have not made as much contributions and/or sacrifices as the man has for this country, then you seriously need to zip it.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by oladayo042: 12:10pm On Aug 10, 2012
ifyalways: Why resign?
We are so fond of running away from challenges, giving in to our failures as opposed to dusting up self and try again. It sucks!
Goodluck to him.
Are you serious? Good luck is not the same as Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by canuck(m): 1:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
"Talking without thinking is like shooting without aiming." We Nigerians love misfiring!

Ayo Bakare has been developing Nigerian basketball from his personal funds for the past 25 years! He is NOT being paid - He is the one paying!!! He LOVES the game, and LOVES Nigeria.

He was a major funder of the Nigerian Basketball League for years. He didn't do this for money. He is personally wealthy and giving back.

Now, to the games - How can any right thinking person compare an individual effort (i.e. Ayo Bakare's) to an institutional powerhouse like the NBA?!

The NBA was founded 66 years ago (longer than Nigeria has existed as a nation) and has enjoyed better leadership than we can say about the Nigerian nation itself!

The financial value of those NBA players at the 2012 Olympics alone is worth more than the entire Nigerian contingents. . .in all games. . .since we started participating in the Olympics! Wake up folks!

Scoring 79 points against USA is not child's play. The US team has no equal in the world!

Ayo Bakare's team defeated well-established international teams like Greece, Dominican Republic, and Lithuania to qualify for the Olympics - While we couldn't even make the soccer list for neither men or women!

So why is he resigning? He's probably not saying it all. I guess the crazed bureaucrats and politicians mentioned by Richard Branson have stepped in, since they now see the glitz and glamour.

Despite all the coach has invested, he still walks away without a sense of entitlement.

We need more men like Ayo Bakare in Nigeria for us to reach the "limitless" future.

2 Likes

Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by niddamugu(m): 4:48pm On Aug 10, 2012
This man would go places..... for taking the bold step of resigning before the tournament is over.... Quite unlike other "typical" Nigerian coaches... They would rather wait for the national assembly, sports ministry or the president to confirm his sack before leaving....

Good job coach...You showed a good example.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by Akiika: 4:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
canuck: "Talking without thinking is like shooting without aiming." We Nigerians love misfiring!

Ayo Bakare has been developing Nigerian basketball from his personal funds for the past 25 years! He is NOT being paid - He is the one paying!!! He LOVES the game, and LOVES Nigeria.

He was a major funder of the Nigerian Basketball League for years. He didn't do this for money. He is personally wealthy and giving back.

Now, to the games - How can any right thinking person compare an individual effort (i.e. Ayo Bakare's) to an institutional powerhouse like the NBA?!

The NBA was founded 66 years ago (longer than Nigeria has existed as a nation) and has enjoyed better leadership than we can say about the Nigerian nation itself!

The financial value of those NBA players at the 2012 Olympics alone is worth more than the entire Nigerian contingents. . .in all games. . .since we started participating in the Olympics! Wake up folks!

Scoring 79 points against USA is not child's play. The US team has no equal in the world!

Ayo Bakare's team defeated well-established international teams like Greece, Dominican Republic, and Lithuania to qualify for the Olympics - While we couldn't even make the soccer list for neither men or women!

So why is he resigning? He's probably not saying it all. I guess the crazed bureaucrats and politicians mentioned by Richard Branson have stepped in, since they now see the glitz and glamour.

Despite all the coach has invested, he still walks away without a sense of entitlement.

We need more men like Ayo Bakare in Nigeria for us to reach the "limitless" future.

You said it all! but as usual our ignorant internet tigers will tear him apart. BTW, he's a US College Alumnus, so he learnt the honorable resignation culture here, not that God forsaken country Nigeria.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by gsmgold: 6:15pm On Aug 10, 2012
Dis Guy: Nigerians are hard to please and mostly ignorant

this is not football, we lost to USA kini big deal, were you guys expecting nigerian college players to thrash professional players within 2 months of getting together?

Best of luck to the players jare, You qualified againt all odd, Angola, Morrocco and top African BB teams didn't make it
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by UyiIredia(m): 6:30pm On Aug 10, 2012
Too bad. Kudos to him for getting us to the Olympics, though.
Re: London-2012: Basketball Coach, Bakare Resigns After Flop by kemmeye: 7:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
nchewi:
YOU

AND You

One word best fits u two: Retards!

Wot do u guys know about d struggle n travails of d Nigerian team? B4 u open ur unpatriotic mouth n spew trash, go n check d journey traveled!!!

Why don't you go eff yourself. How is what I said unpatriotic in any way if you were nothing but a simpleton maybe just maybe you would understand what I wrote until then why don't you take a seat and have a banana besides I am very entitled to my own opinion and if you don't like it you can either shut the Bleep up or choke on your own stupidity

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daily Tips Wit T&T @ 1.50 To 5 Odd / Italy Vs Germany - International Friendly (1 - 1) On 15th November 2013 / 400 Schools Set To Participate In 2017 Gtbank Lagos Principals Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.