Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,404 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? (1837 Views)

Pastor Says I Should Marry An Ifa Worshipper, Now I Am Regretting —wife / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! / Would You Marry An Actor Or Actress? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Ndipe(m): 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2007
At first I thought it was no biggie then, but my views changed when a lady cautioned me that it was definitely a no-no. While certain customs may frown upon it, others endorse it, perhaps with the reason that it would strengthen the family tree (I just don't see how). So, it came as a surprise to me when I read that a former model, Christy Turlington's younger sister is married to the younger brother of her husband, literally, her brother-inlaw.

Would you endorse such a relationship? Just curious!
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Nobody: 1:06am On Dec 20, 2007
Nothing wrong with it,they're not blood relations.
My maternal uncle(mom's younger brother) is married to my paternal first cousin.
No kids yet but when do arrive they'll be my first cousins and second cousins at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Busta(f): 5:29pm On Dec 20, 2007
how about twins marrying twins?

don't see nothin wrong with it.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by ifyalways(f): 11:45pm On Dec 20, 2007
@ nwando really?
its quite a normal thing in my hometown but i personally don't endorse it.i feel like its just like one marrying his brother.the world is such a big place,i need to move out jare.just my opinion please,no critics are invited.  tongue
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by almondjoy(f): 12:19am On Dec 21, 2007
Ndipe:

At first I thought it was no biggie then, but my views changed when a lady cautioned me that it was definitely a no-no. While certain customs may frown upon it, others endorse it, perhaps with the reason that it would strengthen the family tree (I just don't see how). So, it came as a surprise to me when I read that a former model, Christy Turlington's younger sister is married to the younger brother of her husband, literally, her brother-inlaw.

Would you endorse such a relationship? Just curious!

Sorry, I can NEVER dream of marrying any of ma husband's brothers. When we got married, the family became one. My sister cannot even marry from that family. Neither can any of my brothers marry from that family. Cousins can go there--fine. Gosh! I might as well marry any of my own blood brothers then. YUCK! angry

What in God's name is the meaning of that? Men don finish for this world? shocked
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by iice(f): 1:03pm On Dec 21, 2007
Dunno if i will feel differently in another family but no way (with the family i have)
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Foreigner: 10:10am On Feb 12, 2008
As for me I would not but I am facing this problem right now as my brother-in-law has recently passed away and my husband told me that according to tradition, he is supposed to take over the wife! However, if his deceased brother's wife does not consent to it, the marriage will not happen. I am strongly against it as I do not wish to share my husband with somebody else and my husband is also unwilling to do it but it seems that the brother's wife is doing nothing and in fact, she's trying to get into my husband's family's good books!
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Mortiple(m): 2:15pm On Feb 12, 2008
Why Not? A relation is a relation and an inlaw, an inlaw. Afterall, the Elders do say that when a track (road) is smooth, the traveller will want to go through it again and again. This is why it's important for us to establish and maintain a cordial relationship with our inlaws. Another commandment: Inlaws be nice to your inlaws. smileycheesy
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by TOYOSI20(f): 8:18pm On Feb 12, 2008
Haaa, me I cannot marry an in-law o!

Infact it would be a turn off for me.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Ndipe(m): 4:02am On Feb 13, 2008
Foreigner, is your husband a Christian? It is amazing that the custom of a man 'marrying' his deceased's brother's wife is still around in this century. Guess the adage, "Tradition dies hard" is a suitable example to this scenario.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by tpia: 7:24pm On Feb 13, 2008
@ topic:

I dont think so.

Too much familiarity.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Foreigner: 9:34am On Feb 15, 2008
Ndipe,

Yes, my husband is a Christian but what difference does it make if he is a Muslim? The tradition applies to all religion isn't it?
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Ndipe(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2008
Nope@foreigner. We, Christians are not expected to be in a polygamous relationship.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 16, 2008
Circumstances play an important role.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by sistajay(f): 8:57pm On Feb 16, 2008
Me I no fit marry an in-law or out-law
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by uchetobi(f): 2:40pm On Feb 20, 2008
Ur brother in-law is ur brother,….sso no I wont. I think its only permitted for twins
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by francessby(f): 4:48pm On Jul 04, 2008
There's nothing wrong since two of you is not from the same mother and father
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by spoilt(f): 11:44pm On Jul 05, 2008
Nothing wrong with it. No blood ties anywhere.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by ikamefa(f): 12:30am On Jul 06, 2008
a definite yes!

hummmmmmmmmmm those guys are hotties tongue
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Godalone(m): 3:48pm On Jul 07, 2008
Nothing spoils.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 09, 2008
My Dad married the younger sister of he's elder brother's wife. Theirs is a marriage made in heaven. Both families are like extensions of each other. I love my cousins like my own sisters. Infact, I'd love it if my sister would agree to marry my husband's brother. Thats a pity because he dosent have one undecided Maybe Cousin grin

Anyway, Theres nothing wrong with that, marriage is actually b/w two people, not their family.
Re: Would You Marry An In-law Of Yours? by REALADVISE: 10:55am On May 19, 2012
************ HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?

there are millions of people in the world!

why would you go there?

unless you have very very low self esteem... or have no limbs...
or cannot get anyone else..
why open this can of worms? your kids will be cousins? WTF!
who even knows!

and what if it doesn't work out in 10 years? you cannot even get rid f them by divorce!
DON'T DO IT!!

also a lot of family problems...

are you in a cult?

they do this in CULTS!

you want to be like a cult family with invisible walls?
you want your kids to be made fun of at school .... as the FREAK FAMILY?

you wouldn't marry your uncle if you aunt died would you?
think about it!

you not related either... its the same thing!

don't be a sucker!!!

there is a world full of people out here!

you are not a freak are you? a cult member?

DON'T DO IT PLEASE!

speaking from experience...

(1) (Reply)

If You Caught Your Husband In Bed: / If It Were U, What Will U Do? / What Legal Advice Can Be Given To A Battered Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.